Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Options

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,103
    Options

Oh my goodness Mae. Hard to believe that's even real.

My DS went off across town to his Dad's this afternoon. He will eat dinner there & spend the night. And he may go home tomorrow instead of Saturday. I understand since Friday is their anniversary & my DIL would certainly appreciate having him home. So I've frozen the oven roasted sliced turkey breast from Costco. I tasted while I was making several packages & it's quite good. Pork tenderloin is sitting in the fridge. If he stays tomorrow night I'll cook that with scalloped potatoes and corn (his favorite veggie). If not, I'll probably cook it anyway this weekend for myself & then freeze some sections to use later with fried rice or with brandy cream sauce.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 897
    Options

Illimae, That is one big cabbage! Your surf and turf photo made my mouth water.

Both of us are a bit under the weather from last night’s COVID vaccine so DH had bacon and eggs for dinner while I had Greek yogurt and blueberries.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,856
    Options

I had a cooking failure last night that puzzles me. Oven fried chicken that didn't brown in a 425 degrees oven. I used a conventional Betty Crocker style procedure. Dipped the chicken pieces in egg, then seasoned flour, wet the skin side with melted butter and placed skin side up in a ss pan. When enough cooking time had passed and the chicken still hadn't browned, I temped a piece and it was cooked up in the 180's. Turned on the broiler and the browning was blotchy as in spot burning.

We ate our chosen pieces for dinner and it tasted ok. Would have tasted better, I'm sure, if it had looked better. LOL. Our side was mashed potato salad which tasted good. I was in such a mood for oven fried chicken and potato salad and was bummed out with the failure.

Next time I may use Nance's method of browning the chicken in oil in a skillet on top of the stove, then finish the cooking in the oven.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,263
    Options

I'm making chicken drumsticks (marinating as I type) that I'll toss in the oven with rice/salsa for a riff on "Mexican rice" and have the leftover steamed cauliflower from last night's fish dish.

• carolehalston
    Options

One food I'm looking forward to in MN this summer is the broasted chicken at Clancy's restaurant. It has all the crispy skin and flavor of southern fried chicken but I like it better.

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,871
    Options

Greetings friends -

Well it's been an eventful few weeks here in Lake Wobegone. DH had a heart attack a few weeks ago. He's doing fine now but it certainly has thrown us into a bit of disarray. Meals and the planning of have/has been a bit sporadic but we're now getting back to normal. Or at least some semblance of it. I've really appreciated the inspiration I get from you all and your meals when nothing I can think of sounds the least bit interesting.

i have kept up reading your posts and am sorry for all the pain people have been experiencing. I'm also happy for those of you with good test results.

Carole, I'm pleased that you used your pressure cooker for the corned beef I did manage to make a corned beef and cabbage, along with shepherds pie, dinner for our friends, which has been an annual event I've always had perfect results cooking a 4 pound brisket with onions, garlic and a bottle of Guinness for 85 minutes in the instant pot and this time was no exception. DH won't touch corned beef (hence the shepherds pie) so it was the perfect amount for three people. My friend made a lemon meringue pie so it was about the best meal we've had for a while .

Carole good luck with your surgery I'm sure it will be a piece of cake My most recent visit to the ortho doc confirmed what I already knew - I need a total knee replacement. The thought of another surgery is daunting.

Tonight is carryout pizza, the first we've had for a while

• auntienance
    Options

Carole - I'm a big broasted chicken fan too. In fact it's my favorite.

• carolehalston
    Options

Nance, I'm so glad your dh survived the heart attack and is doing well. Definitely scary. Glad you checked in and let us know.

Tonight is ribeye steak cooked on the grill and a big tossed salad. I bought some lovely asparagus today but we probably don't need a second side.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,065
    Options

Heart Attack??!!??? I'm glad to hear he's doing fine….

• wallycat
    Options

OMG, Nance, glad you can try to get to "normal" again. Hope you are doing OK. When my DH gets an ugly dx, I am a puddle-of-gooey-mess….even worse than for my own crap. Glad you are home and it sounds encouraging.

my "mexican" rice is always a hit. DH forgets I make it a few times/year. He loves it. I used the Parish rice (thanks, Carole!!).

• maggie15
    Options

Carole, I also brown my oven fried chicken in a skillet first. It improves how it looks and shortens the cooking time.

Nance, I hope your DH continues to do well and life returns to normal.

Wally, I’ll have to try the salsa/rice combo. It seems like it would be much quicker to make than the usual recipe for Mexican rice.

Dinner tonight was sausage/beef meatballs in Rao's on spaghetti. I will need the sustenance for dealing with the snow/wintry mix/ice that is coming in tonight. I have been spoiled by the warmer than usual weather we have had so far this winter.

• minustwo
    Options

Oh Nance - so glad to hear from you. What a difficult ordeal. Good that your DH is OK. But sorry to hear about the projected knee replacement.

Maggie - Rao's!!! my favorite. We had pounding rain yesterday. Lovely today and back up to 76 degrees.

Dinner was leftover Salsa Chicken. For those of you who didn't know Laurie - chicken breasts, can of black beans - drained, a jar of salsa dumped on top - cover & bake at 350 for 1-1/2 hours. Cheese on top the last few minutes & serve over rice. Sounds similar to Wally's Mexican Rice. My son flew home this afternoon so I'll be cooking a pork loin for myself tomorrow, not to mention freezing most of it.

• carolehalston
    Options

Tonight will be chicken enchiladas, one of my favorites. The salsa/rice sounds like a great idea for Mexican rice.

Minus, I wish your son could have stayed longer but I know you and his father enjoyed the time you had with him.

Nance, my dh is planning to have knee replacement in October. He is bone on bone in both knees.

Another beautiful spring day here.

• maggie15
    Options

Minus, You'll get some delicious quick meals later from the pork loin in the freezer.

Carole, I envy your weather now but not what it would be in the summer. We were able to use the snow blower for the first driveway clearance early this morning but the rest of the day has been shoveling the wet snow/sleet mix before it gets too heavy to move (my job because of DH's bum elbow.)

Dinner tonight was stuffed peppers. I have made them with ground chicken and salsa before but usually use tomato sauce with ground beef. Today I used ground beef, rice and salsa; they were very tasty. Thanks for the inspiration, Wally!

• minustwo
    Options

Pork tenderloin was good. I ate about 1/4 and froze the rest in several pieces. The oven baked scalloped potatoes from Costco were awful. I had already divided and packaged 2/3 of them - but took them back out of the freezer & tossed. Oh well - there will never be scalloped potatoes like my Mother's. (or cinnamon rolls either)

Confession - I've never made vegetable soup!!!. I always preferred chicken noodle. But I have lots of fresh veggies that need to be used right now (celery, carrots, red potatoes, etc), as well as 3 cups of beef broth in the freezer. So tomorrow I'll be chopping. I'm not inclined to add canned tomatoes, but that's a personal preference. I may toss in some pasta or other. Many of the recipes on line say to add either vinegar or lemon juice for 'zing'. Anyone do that? What about red pepper flakes? I don't intend to add beef and in fact would use vegetable broth if not for the leftovers. Fingers crossed.

Once upon a time… someone on this thread said they use Buckwheat Noodles. Maybe Carole or Nance? I dutifully bought them and have no memory of what recipe I was supposed to make with them. Anyone have a good idea?

• maggie15
    Options

I add lemon juice to vegetable soup but vinegar is also acidic and would serve the same purpose: it makes the taste more flavorful but not lemony. I sometimes put red pepper flakes (or curry) in creamy avocado soup but haven’t tried it in veggie soup.

The buckwheat noodles (soba) are Japanese and could be used in a stir fry, salad, soup or noodle bowl. I have used them in vegetable soup with mushrooms, bok choy, carrots and scallions.

• wallycat
    Options

I love soba noodles!

I am thawing some ground goat and will make a ragu over pasta tomorrow. We finished the chicken leftovers tonight.

• carolehalston
    Options

I used to love the soba noodles I bought at Rouses supermarket but I can't find them there any more. I ordered some from Amazon and they're not as good. You cook the noodles a short time, maybe 6 minutes without salt and then rinse them well before you use them in whatever dish you're making. I may try those from Amazon again. They just sit on the shelf.

Maybe I'll cook some tonight and use with a veggie stir fry. Thanks for the idea, Minus.

DH said soba noodles were street food in Japan way back when he was in the Army. And, yes, Nance liked the noodles, too, but I seem to recall that her dh didn't like them.

Maggie, you are very knowledgeable about food. Did you ever work in the restaurant industry?

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    Options

Chili tonight per hubby’s request

• maggie15
    Options

Carole, For my work/study job in college I was assigned to a dining hall. I started out as a server, then a cashier, a sous chef and my final year I was the supervisor on Saturdays from lunch through dinner. It was quantity cookery and not exactly haute cuisine with the exception of some special international meals but I learned something along the way.

I have a MO appointment at the big hospital tomorrow so dinner was a takeout steak sandwich. It was not good, a bit of a surprise since this pub has had decent food for years. Maybe it was just an off night.

• wallycat
    edited March 25
    Options

Oh Maggie, I admire your stick-to-it-ivness on that dining hall job. One of the assignments in our dietetic class was a 6 week planning of the dining hall, making, prepping, planning, temp control, blah, blah…I was never so tired and convinced the restaurant biz was NOT for me.

The ragu is amazing. Lots of leftovers; glad for it as DH has doc appointments and that seattle schlep on Tuesday.

• carolehalston
    Options

The soba noodles last night were much better than I remembered. I cooked them only 4 minutes and rinsed them well. DH did the stir fry veggies, red bell pepper, yellow squash and zucchini. Onion for him. I made a sauce and fine diced some fresh ginger. A tasty result. Thank you again, Minus, for bringing soba noodles to my attention.

Maggie, I learned to eat foods we did not have at home when I was in college, eating all meals in the cafeteria. Foods like broccoli. Our veggies at home were the ones raised in the garden.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,065
    Options

Wally, and Carole, I hope the appointments bring good news.

I was lucky to have a neighbor couple that had owned and operated a restaurant for over 30 years before selling it and retiring. They were very happy to explain the different "cooking words" and also to show how to do things (slicing, chopping, etc.) more quickly.

Sharon and I cook soba noodles to which we add whatever vegetables we have that have been sauteed in sesame oil and, maybe, an "estimated tablespoon" amount of soy sauce. Hopefully the vegetables we have available include hot peppers. :-) We keep, already cooked, tepary beans in the refrigerator, so we'll add those in as well.

Thank you for the lemon juice/vinegar to the soup idea. We'll have to try that.

Sharon makes a southwest vegetable soup (a very spicy vegetable soup) that we then "can" in pint jars. This is perfect for when we are traveling in the camper and want a quick (no effort) lunch in a rest area.

• maggie15
    Options

Carole, I hope tomorrow's surgery is successful and the recovery is as quick and pain-free as possible.

Wally, Good luck with your trip to Seattle tomorrow.

Eric, The jars of homemade soup are a great idea to ensure a good meal when traveling.

My DD learned 25 recipes incorporating stale bread and how to make a meal out of random ingredients when she answered a radio plea for someone to help the chef at the Community Kitchen on Friday afternoons one summer.

Dinner tonight was coconut curry salmon on rice, an improvement on last night’s meal.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,294
    Options

Nancy, glad to hear your DH is on the mend from his heart attack—will he be doing cardiac rehab?

Carole, in your pocket fot tomorrow's surgery. Wally, hope the trip to Seattle is productive and as pleasant as it can be.

I used to make "Tuna Noodle Surprise:" seared ahi crusted with sesame seeds, atop soba noodles, and napped with a ponzu-based broth. Tuna, noodles—surprise!

Went out to Regalia last night. Had mushroom bisque and branzino roasted with cherry tomatoes and Calabrese-spiced baked cauliflower. Packed half of both. This morning, egg foo yung made with 1 egg + 3T liquid whites, scallions, mung bean sprouts, cilantro, soy sauce, five-spice powder, ginger. garlic & and toasted sesame oil. Tonight, upon return from PT, an RxBar (needed protein before tonight's Mounjaro shot), and last night's leftovers, topped up with a slice of toasted Dave's Killer Bread.

• maggie15
    Options

Carole and Wally, I hope all went well today.

Sandy, It’s good that you have figured out what you should order now when you go out to dinner.

Dinner tonight was chicken in a cream sauce with mushrooms, spinach, sun dried tomatoes and sherry.

• minustwo
    Options

Thinking of Carole & Wally.

When it rains - it pours. My phone (a real landline) went out yesterday early afternoon. Now if you call ATT, there is no way you can talk to a human. URGH. They got it fixed this afternoon. It was a connection in a central box so nothing in my house & not squirrels eating my over head lines in the back yard - which they do regularly. Then my new tooth implant fell out last night while I was eating a spinach omelette. Thank goodness I hadn't made toast. If you remember the James Bond movies, it looks like "JAWS" with the metal mouth. The dentist has worked me in tomorrow morning to re-attach, but will still have to be temporary until the periodontist checks the bone growth one more time in mid April just before my Prolia shot.

Spent much of the day digging out TALL weeds in the lawn - one by one with a sharp shooter - while I wanted for ATT. Not sure why I keep saying "lawn". After the freeze two years ago and the drought last summer most of what I have will die with it gets hotter & leave me with dirt. I've often put in St. Augustine 'plugs', but I think too much is lost for that to be effective this year. Hate to think about having the entire lawn re-sodded - sigh….

Today's meal was a roasted turkey sandwich on sourdough with Swiss cheese.

• wallycat
    Options

Thank you ladies, and I'm sending good wishes to Carole.

Our trip was decent. Made the return ferry by minutes (last car allowed to load) or we'd have had to wait another hour. Grocery Outlet (the discount grocer) had their twice/year 20% off all the wines. I came home with 4 cases. The Asian Grocer I wanted to explore was amazing. Everything was incredibly clean and fresh. The meat/fish area smelled like the ocean, unlike QFC, which smells like rotting meat some days. Prices were decent and I found a few things that are unavailable here.

DH's follow up was great. He was told he's healing beautifully. 3 month follow up and he can use a local dentist in between.

My optometrist is retiring…I hope he'll be ok. He's had bladder cancer and fighting it for several years. Not many eye docs to choose from out here, so that will be another "fun" thing to do.

I packed ham and roast beef sandwiches to take on the road and we just picked at things when we got home. Long day and not very hungry. My splurge was snacking on peanuts.

• carolehalston
    Options

I appreciate the caring thoughts. Mean a lot. My surgery happened yesterday very early. We arrived at 5 am and I was wheeled into the OR at 7. As always I was happy to wake up in recovery and apparently announced, "I'm alive!"

We got home about 1:30 after buying chocolate shakes at Sonic. Dinner last night was the eggplant lasagna from the freezer. My only meal of the day. It tasted wonderful.

Dinner will be whatever dh provides.

Wally, your trip sounds like a big success. So glad for your dh and you that he is healing well.

• auntienance
    Options

Carole - so glad your surgery is done and hope your healing is fast.

Last nights meal was lamb burgers on pita breads with tzatziki. Sides were rice pilaf and a tomato, red onion, cucumber salad. They were quite good but I don't think I spiced the lamb enough.

The kids are coming for Easter dinner so instead of the traditional ham we're off to Costco to acquire a brisket today. I can't stand for long because of the knee/back issues so DDIL has volunteered to do the heavy lifting for the meal. She's good at it and I'm getting better at letting her. Historically I haven’t wanted people to "help" with my cooking unless I have a specific need (e.g. setting the table, pouring drinks, etc.) but since the back issues I find t can't do the big meal thing alone. I can sometimes barely get a meal out for the two of us. Anyway, I'll make the brisket Saturday in the pressure cooker, buy some dinner rolls and a dessert at Costco and DDIL will take care of the rest.

DH is pretty much back to normal. He hasn't started rehab yet but has been walking daily which has helped his energy and his mood. Wish I could join him.

I love soba noodles. DH will eat them if I don't mention buckwheat lol. Of course, I never met a noodle I didn't like. Oh wait - yes I have - whole wheat spaghetti.

Carole- I just saw Eikhorn flour in one of my local grocery stores. Tell me about the bread you make.

Dinner tonight will probably be whatever Costco can provide

Minus - huge bummer about the tooth after you had to wait so long to get it too Hope you can get that fixed soon