Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Options

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 926
    Options

Wally, I'm glad your DH’s jaw is healing well. I make many different chicken stews (since free chicken was one of the perks of my husband's job) but this one has okra and Indian seasonings which might go over well in your household.

https://theodehlicious.com/chicken-bhindi-recipe/

Dinner tonight was creamy bacon mushroom chicken with acorn squash and boiled potatoes.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,274
    Options

Maggie, thanks. DH adores Indian food.

I made a frozen cauliflower pizza (it was a free item at safeway months ago). Not as horrible as I thought it would be.

• maggie15
    Options

Wally, I have never tried a frozen cauliflower pizza crust but I should sometime.

DH had a tooth extraction and a mandible bone graft done today so he had lukewarm soup for dinner while I had the leftover chicken. Carole and Wally, we should get together and write a soft-post-dental-work diet cookbook!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    Options

I had 1/2 a block of leftover cream cheese so decided to make clam dip to nibble on this week. (cream cheese, garlic, onion, Worchestershire, lemon, 1/4 c sour cream, 1 can minced clams). It's one of my favorite things and I haven't made it is several years. Oops - I ate the entire bowl for dinner with wheat thins. It's not quite as bad as it sounds since it was less than a cup. Needless to say I didn't use the pork loin I had defrosted.

Maggie - I'll add to the dental saga. Today I was supposed to get my titanium abutment & provisional plastic tooth. Nope - abutment wasn't ready. The extraction was March 2023 so I've been a year without a tooth - the one right next to the front teeth. It's down to less than a month before my next Prolia shot.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    Options

Today is my birthday. Nature isn't celebrating. It's an overcast day with rain and possibly violent storms in the forecast. My sister Linda sent me a gorgeous bouquet of flowers and dh and I will go out to dinner tomorrow night with another couple who weren't free to join us tonight.

Dinner last night was grilled lamb chops and a skillet dish of sauteed yellow squash and zucchini. I bought a package of the sliced veggies since the price works out about the same and the pre-sliced often looks fresher than the whole veggies.

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,871
    Options

Happy birthday Carole - wishing you many more!

• minustwo
    Options

Carole - have a GREAT B-day. I see from another thread that you were born one year before I was. Saw a funny card yesterday I wanted for myself. Picture of a freighter loaded with containers coming over the high seas. Wording was - your candles are on the way.

Nance - I was thinking of you yesterday. Hope things are going OK. And thinking of Special too.

Off to pick up my new hearing aids. I tried a pair 3 years ago and gave up & returned them. Now will try a different kind. The issue is like glasses with progressive lenses. You're supposed to put them on & wear them regularly so your brain adjusts. I only need them 3 or 4 times a month. Or when my son comes to visit once a year.

• wallycat
    Options

Happy Birthday, CArole!! Many more, and healthy ones, for you! Hope the implant exchanges goes smoothly.

LOL Maggie, it reminds me of the booklets I wrote up when I was studying dietetics. I hope your DH is not in any pain. Carole, I hope your DH is not in any pain. I think my DH isn't in any pain because the dentist said they'd cut so close to the nerves (but not cutting the nerves) that that side may be numb for months. I guess that's a win-win. Hope feeling returns for him…and good luck Minus. Hope everyone dealing with health stuff does well.

I made pasta carbonara last night.

We are heading to Sequim for my walmart/costco stock up….

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,067
    Options

Happy Birthday Carole.

Our last dental visit (the 6th) was…"all looks good, keep doing what you're doing".

In Phoenix, Sharon went to a dentist right before we moved. That practice recommended treatments that would have cost around $6,000. We were moving, the problems weren't bothering her, so she waited until we finished moving. The new dentist, even after being told the specific teeth that had been deemed "troublesome"…….."Your teeth are fine."

Charitably speaking, I guess "opinions vary". :-)

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,607
    Options

In Houston for scans. Dinner last night was my favorite pasta from Giocomo’s and tonight will be my favorite NY style pizza from Brothers.

• minustwo
    Options

Oh Giocomo's. Be still my heart!!! Good luck with the scans Mae.

Eric - Oh my… glad you added the "charitable" comment.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    Options

It's pizza night, so my husband did wings on the grill and is picking up a pie. I try to avoid that kind of fat, so he grilled a piece of salmon for me and I'll eat it with the veggies I roasted this week. Maybe I'll sneak a wing or two!

• minustwo
    Options

Homemom - glad to see you posting on the dinner thread. I read other threads, but this is my 'home base'.

Hearing aids are obnoxious.

Dinner will be pork loin sandwiches on pumpernickel rye w/lots of mayo. Two glass of Meritage before dinner.

• maggie15
    Options

Carole, Happy Birthday! Enjoy your dinner out.

Minus, I hope you can find hearing aids that suit you. There seem to be so many different types.

Eric, I’m glad that someone on this thread has good teeth.

Illimae, I hope your scans are good. It’s great that you can visit your favorite restaurants on the trip.

Wally, Hopefully non painful feeling will return to your husband’s jaw. Numb is better than pain, however.

Homemom, Roasting veggies to eat later in the week is a great idea.

Dinner tonight was chicken meatloaf, cauliflower and mashed potatoes for DH, not very colorful but soft.

• carolehalston
    Options

I have been craving a good hamburger so when my younger sister and her dh invited us out to a birthday lunch I seized the opportunity and picked a local restaurant, Triple Nickel. The hamburger was just what I anticipated. Instead of fries, I had the house salad with blue cheese dressing. I brought home half the hamburger and half the salad for my dinner.

Dh's dinner was Sam's hotdogs with Rao's and cooked linguine out of the freezer. The wieners are cooked in the red sauce. I know. A bit strange but he chose that over Bush's canned baked beans.

• wallycat
    edited March 10
    Options

Tonight, I'll cook up some Italian sausage I picked up at Costco. I'll have to figure out sides….we lost power for about 2 hours this morning. 55mph gusts. Hope I have power to make dinner. Hate this wind.

JUST as my oven got to temp, the power went out ..AGAIN…glad we have a propane grill. The italian sausage was perfect. Got a can of green beans into a le creuset to put on the grill and thankfully, microwaved our sweet potato into a jammy morsel of yumminess before the power went out.

• maggie15
    Options

Carole, A really good hamburger is a treat. Hot dogs in Rao’s doesn’t sound that strange since it’s similar to sausage.

Wally, I’m glad you managed to get dinner cooked in spite of the power outages. We’re lucky that we are on the same section of the grid as the local hospital. If our power goes out, it gets fixed first.

Dinner tonight was coconut curried salmon on rice, easy to eat but tasty, too.

• eric95us
    Options

Wally, I'm glad you were able to "improvise, adapt, overcome".

It's sourdough day. I've got 30 more minutes before I don't need to worry about a power failure. :-)

• eric95us
    Options
  • carolehalston
    Options

Salivating… That bread is so enticing.

Beef stew for dinner tonight. One big meat item out of the freezer. A boneless shoulder roast that I cut into cubes. Veggies are the usual, onions, carrots and potatoes.

• minustwo
    Options

Eric - the bread looks delicious.

I went to a 2pm performance at a local theater with a friend. Excellent (if unknown) play. Since neither of us had eaten anything all day, she suggested stopping at Dennys on the way home. Had an old favorite - Grand Slam. (for those uninitiated - 2 eggs, 2 bacon, 2 sausage, 2 pancakes). Then we went to her house for a glass of Hayes Valley Meritage. This is the wine I've been buying at Costco recently.

• maggie15
    Options

Eric, That bread looks perfect! When DH was young his family had a dog that went around to the neighboring farms and stole loaves of Irish brown bread which were cooling on windowsills. It was good that his mother was the best baker around since she had to replace so many loaves of bread.

Carole, Beef stew sounds delicious but probably isn't soft enough for DH until the end of the week. It would be a good antidote to the cold rain. At least it isn't snow.

Minus, If you eat only one meal in a day a Grand Slam is a good option.

Dinner tonight was creamy lemon and dill chicken with cauliflower or mashed potatoes. Tomorrow will be a long drive east for cataract surgery lens measurement for DH and then a long drive south for a SO follow up for me on Tuesday.

• wallycat
    Options

I'm using the last sausage and dicing it up with onions and mushrooms in a tomato sauce, making a socca crust and treat it like a pizza. Hope our power stays on….ugh…MORE winds.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,057
    Options

this is a tough thread to read when you are hungry 😉. Everything looks and sounds very delicious!

• eric95us
    Options

Wallycat.

Sharon makes a similar "personal sized" pizza…..that we just ate….

• maggie15
    Options

Wally, It must be windy across the country. I didn’t have to worry about the power but it was tough to drive in.

Dinner tonight was takeout roast turkey from the hospital cafeteria with mashed potato and stuffing for DH and green beans for me. It was not too bad and I didn’t have to cook it.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,607
    Options

Arrived home late last night, so we picked up a few easy things on our way, tonight will be a bagged salad (Mediterranean crunch).

Brain MRI is finally definitive on the spot we’ve been watching, it’s “treatment effect” from previous brain surgery/radiation, not cancer. CT results next week but I don’t expect any problems.

• minustwo
    Options

I make personal pizzas with Stonefire mini-Naan rounds.

Dinner tonight was egg salad on Rosemary-Olive Oil bread.

• minustwo
    Options

Mae - unable to edit, but we must have been posting at the same time. REALLY good news the spot is NOT cancer. Congrats.

• eric95us
    Options

Mae..glad to hear that!!!!!