Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Options

Comments

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,592
    Options

I thought I reported back here after my MDA visit, oops but all good, still no active cancer in brain or body.

Tonight will be pork chops, au graten potatoes and roasted cabbage. DH made a cherry cobbler for dessert.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,263
    Options

YAY, Illimae!!! And YUM on your dinner!!

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 895
    Options

Minus, I hope you can get the hearing aids sorted out. I used to get blood draws from the top of my feet but they will only do that in an emergency now.

Wally, I had the 13 and 23 pneumonia vaccines but my PCP recently gave me the Prevnar 20 since it had been more than 5 years since I had the others.

Sandy, I hope you are staying close to home for your eclipse viewing. Northern NH which is in the path of totality now has nearly two feet of snow and power lines still down. Anyone travelling there is in for a big mess since all the parking and viewing was supposed to occur in the fields.

Illimae, Congrats on the good scans! Definitely worth celebrating with cherry cobbler.

Dinner tonight was Jamie Oliver's lamb stew. This was my first time making it; it was a nice change from my standards. Three varieties of olives and pickled cocktail onions are part of the mix.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,102
    Options

Wally - that's what I understand. After Prevnar 20, you're supposedly good to go for ever.

Mae - WOO HOO for the latest scans. Good news for sure.

• wallycat
    Options

My DH is reluctant on olives, but I adore them; that stew sounds wonderful.

I have not had any previous pneumonia shots till this one so I hope it is a lifer and no others.

I must be an enigma; I don't understand all the hoopla over the eclipse. Snow…I'd drive far and wide for!

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,294
    Options

I had the 13 in 2015, the Pneumovax in 2011, 2016 & 2021, and the 20 last year—my PCP says I'm done unless they come up with a new vax for more bacterial strains.

Brunch was egg-in-the-hole with a strip of bacon. Dinner tonight is grass-fed ribeye (currently "resting" tented), roasted Brussels sprouts, sauteed mushrooms in butter & Marsala, and insalata Caprese over mesclun. (Tomatoes are heirloom, basil is homegrown). If I have dessert at all later, it'll be a protein bar or shake.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,855
    Options

Great news, Illimae! And great dinner. How do you "roast" cabbage? In slabs or slices? I needed the photo!

I had a brain lapse and didn't pre-think allowing enough time for cooking the rib roast. So we had take-out pizza, which was something of a treat. We ate in the living room on paper plates while watching the women's basketball.

Jamie Oliver's tv cooking show was fun to watch. Such a tiny kitchen and lovely dinners with guests out on his patio. Definitely no cocktail onions in my lamb stew. Lol.

Wally, I'm with you on the eclipse. I would make the effort to walk outside with special glasses but would not pay a ridiculous rate to stay in a Super 8. It does tickle the mind to think about how early humans factored in such natural mysteries.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

illimae - yay for a good scan report! I would also like to hear about roasted cabbage.

minus & anyone else - here is the lemon cake recipe. I usually make it in a regular bundt pan. I have made it often for parties and I like it because you can slice it and lay the slices on a platter in a pinwheel and they still stay moist. My mom made this cake in a 13x9 pan, and it comes out great that way too. This recipe originated from my godmother more than 60 years ago, minimum. It is a classic.

Dissolve one box lemon Jello in 2/3 cup boiling or very hot water in a mixing bowl. When Jello is dissolved add one box yellow cake mix and beat until combined (I usually use a hand mixer) and the dissolved Jello is mixed in. Add 4 eggs, one at a time, until well combined. Add 1 t. of lemon extract and 2/3 c. vegetable oil. Pour into a well greased pan and bake for at least 45 mins at 350 F. This cake is pretty forgiving and you can leave it in the oven a bit longer, unless you are doing the mini-bundts - I baked them for about 20 mins. I wouldn't leave them in any longer than that (test with a toothpick) because they will be too crispy on the tops. The cake is glazed when warm with a mixture of 2T. soft butter, rind and juice of one lemon, and 1 c. of powdered sugar. For the bundt style I turn the cake out and then glaze it, but the 13x9 can be glazed in the pan.

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 138
    Options

Illimae - doing a happy dance for your good results.

• maggie15
    Options

Special, Sometimes the classic tried and true recipes are the best.

Carole, The rib roast will taste good whenever you cook it.

Sandy, The mushrooms sauteed in butter and Marsala sound delicious. I can't drink but cooking with wine seems to deactivate the offending nitrates/alcohol.

Wally, I'm with you on the eclipse. I viewed one in the path of totality when I was a preteen so I'm not concerned about seeing more. My mother's boyfriend in her later years used to travel around the globe to view every single one. His former profession as an astronomer probably explains why (as well as his schedule of staying up all night and sleeping during the day.)

Dinner tonight was salmon with sauteed potatoes and parsnips.

• wallycat
    Options

Tuna melts for dinner.

We are getting a Papa Murphy's pizza (our first one, ever) to celebrate my cancerversary tomorrow. I'll be starting on year 18….

• maggie15
    Options

Wally, Congratulations! Enjoy the pizza.

• maggie15
    edited April 7
    Options

I hope I’m not jinxing things by posting but I’m sitting at the airport gate waiting to fly to Rome. Six years ago I was in the same place and ended up being transported to the hospital in an ambulance with an upper GI bleed. After five more aborted attempts (two COVID years and three other medical issues) it looks like this one is a go. It will be a low key trip due to DH’s balance issues but I don’t care. His sister from Ireland will meet us there for a few days since it’s a much better climate for doing things outside. We’re staying in the area where DH lived for six months (and I visited from Scotland on school vacations) when his company loaned him to a Common Market advisory board.

Meals today are some delicious clam chowder from Legal Seafood and whatever is served on the plane (fingers crossed.)

• minustwo
    Options

Maggie - Hope you have a wonderful trip. I agree, Legal Seafood has delicious clam chowder. And that makes me think of Susan & Lacey - who I was privileged to meet on a trip to Boston before Susan died. I need to email Lacey.

Special - thanks for the cake recipe. My Mother had a recipe she called "hot milk cake". She often had it waiting when we walked in the door from elementary school - especially if we'd walked home in the rain in our yellow slickers & boots. (parents did not drive children to school when I was young). I need to dig it out and try it again to see if it is as good as my mouth remembers.

Wally - Happy Cancerversary. WOW 18 years!!! I still remember & celebrate both my original surgery and the surgery for my recurrence - two years apart. I know everyone chooses a different date, but I decided to celebrate the days cancer was removed in 2011 & 2013 rather than the days cancers were discovered. It will be 10 years in September since my last Herceptin infusion so I sort of celebrate when it was finally over (I hope).

Carole - so glad to see on another thread that your recovery continues and you are out walking in the spring sunshine. Well over 80 here several days & I'm sure you have the same. If I remember, you don't usually leave for the North before May??? How is your DH's pain?

I too would like the roasted cabbage recipe. I'll put it with the Unstuffed Cabbage (casserole) recipe from BCO that I haven't tried yet (maybe from Betrayal??)

Dinner tonight is potato salad (if I'd stop & get the potatoes boiled) and broccoli salad. As you all may remember - bread is my downfall. I'm trying to convince myself not to pop & cook that tube of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls that's been lurking in my fridge that we didn't eat during my son's visit.

Houston's scheduled for 85% eclipse coverage tomorrow. But also scheduled for rain so we may see nothing.

• carolehalston
    Options

Maggie, have a fabulous trip!! I'm excited for you.

Happy special anniversary, Wally. Hope you enjoy your pizza. You were much too young when you were diagnosed with bc.

I had forgotten how delicious a rib roast can be. So much better than a rib eye. I may be tempted to buy another one. They were on sale again at Winn Dixie this week. I used the old-fashioned method of 20 minutes at 450 degrees and then finish cooking to medium rare at 325. I never can figure out the timing on the reverse method.

Minus, we've been having wonderful weather the last few days. Low 70's with low humidity during the day. 60's at night. Today we got higher on the muggy meter and I turned on the a/c.

• wallycat
    edited April 8
    Options

Thank you, ladies, for the well wishes, and Carole, for feeling my anger at such a "young" dx…but happy to be older and to complain about it.

Minus, in my dreams and soul, I "knew" my cancer must have been there for several years…my scans were in January, my dx, april and my surgery in May, a few weeks before my 50th b-day, so I chose the day the stupid radiologist called, crying to tell me she was wrong and I was right, that it was cancer.

Maggie…OY on the envy for Italy! Hope you have a fabulous trip.

Carole..YUM on rib roast. I don't know the difference between the two but I know I enjoy beef and lots of fatty-yummy-goodness.

Our 'za was good and we'll have leftovers tomorrow. DH, who rarely drinks, helped drink a brut spumante that I found at Grocery Outlet (like an Aldi's with wine sale 2x year). Wish I had bought more…good enough.

We have also had decent weather…40-50. Love it. Our warmup starts in a few days and I hope high 50s is the extent of it.

• carolehalston
    Options

Last night's meal could have been fajitas if we had tortillas. Sliced yellow bell pepper and onion sautéed and then the leftover small slices of beef added to warm up. Brown rice and a delicious guacamole. A simple satisfying meal.

We're meeting a former neighbor for lunch today at a restaurant that makes a great muffaletta but I may muster the will power to resist and order something also good but not as salty. I'm thinking of a shrimp remoulade salad.

Hope Sandy has a great eclipse viewing experience. Also hope Maggie is enjoying her getaway. Can't wait to hear about her meals.

• minustwo
    Options

80 degrees and total cloud cover in Houston at 10:30am. The eclipse starts at 12:30pm here and we're supposed to see 94% coverage eventually. Yes I do have glasses, but it's unlikely we'll see anything at all except darkness with the clouds.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 849
    Options

It's sunny 70s here but staying in, not worrying about the eclipse. I saw the first one in childhood and that was sufficient for me. Instead will work on house stuff then take a walk later.

DH knows Sunday is after church nap day for me, so he offered to grill some delicious cheddar burgers and we had purchased potato salad and three- bean salad for sides. Yum. I love a good burger.

Tonight I freezer- foraged chicken and rice stuffed red and yellow peppers. Not sure if we need a salad with it yet.

Hoping Maggie's trip is wonderful, as well as Sandy's.

I am 10 years out (cancerversary - I also told the radiologist she was "wrong") And can't believe it's time to sign up for Medicare 😉 Thankful I can.

A great start to the week for all. ❤️

• wallycat
    Options

Reader, Congrats!!!

I too hope those traveling will have safe voyages and an enjoyment where ever they go.

Leftover pizza. I'm thawing lamb chops for tomorrow.

• maggie15
    Options

I finally made it to Rome. Lunch was a piece of Roman style pizza which has a unique tasting rectangular crust and unusual toppings. DH had a more traditional pomadoro and basil pesto while my topping was ground pork and potato (no cheese on either.) I cooked Agnolotti Piemontesi (meat filled small ravioli) for dinner and got a scoop of gelato for dessert.

Reader, congratulations on your milestone!

I hope everyone who wanted to was able to view the eclipse

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

maggie - have so much fun in Rome! We went to Italy as a celebratory trip when DH retired from active duty in the Air Force. That was 2009 - and it was a great trip - Rome, Naples, Positano, and Capri. Everywhere we went was beautiful, and perfect weather. Much great food, and much great gelato! Enjoy!

wally and reader - congrats on your milestones! I am sometimes shocked to think how long ago I was diagnosed, and sometimes it seems like last year… depends on the day. I thanked my MO for getting me to the Medicare sign up twelve years after my diagnosis.

carole - muffaletta - be still my heart… LOVE THEM!

minus - I too remember the days of no parents driving their kids to school, and also the yellow galoshes and raincoats! I have another cake that starts with a mix and stays moist after slicing - it is called One Step Cake. No idea why since there are clearly several steps, lol! Combine a Devil's Food cake mix with 1 1/2 c. sour cream, 3/4 c. veg. oil, 1/2 c. Kahlua, 2 beaten eggs, and a 4 oz. pkg. instant chocolate pudding. The batter is very thick. Spoon into a greased bundt pan and bake at 350 F. for at least 45 mins., until a tester comes out clean. You can dust with powdered sugar, drizzle with melted chocolate, or heat a can of ready made frosting until it is thinned (only a short time in the microwave) and pour over. Yummy!

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    Options

pancakes and bacon here

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,871
    Options

Congrats to illimae and Wally and Maggie - please eat lots of gelato for me!

DH and I watched the eclipse from the comfort of our air conditioned car with the moon roof open, in our reclined seats. The last eclipse we saw standing on the beach in Biloxi This one was a lot easier on our necks. We got 99% totality. I know we've seen other eclipses but this is the last we'll see in our lifetime so I figured it was worth a look.

Tonight is a very pedestrian meal of sloppy Joe'sp, albeit homemade, and frozen French fries. We'll have some fruit salad In lieu of a green veg.

We finally joined the gym today so there's that. Yay!

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,871
    Options

Special - I'm loving the sound of that chocolate cake 😋

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,592
    Options

The remaining cabbage was oddly cut, so I ended up roasting small avocado sized pieces with evoo and garlic.

Tonight we made taco salad, DH did the bowls and I prepped the toppings. I forgot how much I liked them.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,294
    edited April 9
    Options

Illi, reader, wally— Mazel tov on your milestones! Maggie—have fun in Rome. I’d love to go back—went once for a Bar Assn. continuing ed trip and twice more: 2015 as the gateway to a Mediterranean cruise and 2016 as “bookends” to a long weekend in Tuscany at a timeshare villa near Selvatelle. We flew to Rome, walked our bags to the airport Hilton (where we had executive lounge privileges including hot breakfast, hot appetizers & unlimited wine & cappuccino, and a free shuttle into town & back) before taking the puddle-jumper into Pisa and renting a car. “Bonci” pizza is unique—every “taglio” (slice) in the pan has a different topping. And oh, that gelato and cacio e pepe!

Kicking back after dinner tonight. The drive from Chicago yesterday was a nightmare—the only things that didn’t go wrong were that we had no breakdowns, accidents, flats nor illnesses. We pulled in to the hotel at 10 last night—I’d had nothing all day since leftover takeout jap chae at 11 am. Had planned to nibble on a protein bar, cheese & nuts en route, but the weather & traffic made it a white-knuckle drive and it was all I could do to just hit the water bottle. Dinner was a grilled chicken breast with salad and the innards of onion rings; breakfast was cheddar cubes & mini-triscuits. (Not touching that Doubletree cookie). Lunch was the bar’s “Ohio mini-dog” special (cocktail weenies on buns with grilled onions, chili & cheese—I ate the dogs, onions & chili and left the rest). Blew off the rooftop viewing party when we learned there were no chairs nor places to put food & drinks—so we sat outside on the benches of a little plaza by the beach with a perfectly clear view. It was awesome—I’d never seen a total eclipse before, just a partial when I was a kid and again in 2017. Crossed another thing off the bucket list. At totality, the sky got dark, we could see Venus, all the streetlights and office lights came on and the seagulls were very confused. Had dinner at Centro—but between the eclipse, the women’s NCAA finals and the Guardians opening day they were out of half the menu—including the filet we’d planned to share (Bob wasn’t very hungry because he ate all his mini-dogs and the fries). We split a chopped salad, seafood oreganata (shrimp & lobster claw meat), roast chicken, green beans & broccolini. Breakfast will be leftover salad & veggies.

Our hotel was a huge disappointment—and would have been even had we paid the regular rate 100% with HHonors points. (At $500/night, it was the cheapest we could get and the only one that didn’t require a 3-4 night stay). No valet. Garage elevator broken so we had to walk our bags down several levels to the hotel entrance. Our room seems to be the only one w/o plumbing problems (so far, kinahurra). Half the outlets didn’t work so I had to do some fancy footwork “kludgery” in order to charge all our electronics. And the bathtub looks too grungy to shower (and no tub mat or grippers) so we have to sponge-bathe. We found out from the janitor that the place is in receivership. Shortage of chambermaids, and several staffers were run ragged driving the airport shuttle for people leaving after the basketball game but not staying over for the eclipse.

• maggie15
    edited April 9
    Options

Sandy, It’s too bad the hotel was a bust but I’m glad you got a great view of the eclipse. The seafood oreganata sounds delicious.

Special, That chocolate cake recipe is what I would like as my birthday cake.

Lunch was another piece of pizza, this time grated zucchini topped with zucchini flowers. It’s sold by its weight and quickly heated in the pizza oven. Dinner was leftovers from last night and some of DH’s margherita pizza since he got a piece that was too big. We also discovered a French bakery across the street and tried a kouign amann, a Breton pastry which develops a caramelized bottom when it is baked. I probably shouldn’t have but I still went for gelato. After all, I have to have some for you ladies and Eric if he likes it.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    edited April 9
    Options

Steak and cheese sandwiches and tater tots! Didn’t feel like slaving over a hot stove when it’s in the low 70s here.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,065
    edited April 9
    Options

'Mae….that is awesome news…. :-)

That hotel sounds….not so good…..I've had better "accommodations" while deployed.

Maggie…it sounds like you are having a good time.

18 years for Wally and 10 years for Reader….that's awesome. I'm hoping that there are MANY more anniversaries.

I celebrate Sharon's end of treatment date, now well over 11 years, but not her diagnosis date. I also stop and….I'm not sure what to call it…remember…. I guess that's as good a word as any…the date Mickey and I would have married.

Thanks for the cake recipe, Special. I've printed it out and stuck it into my little notebook.

Sharon and I were in Phoenix during the eclipse to attend two bluegrass jams. One was at our retired vet friend's house and the 2nd was at the Tempe community center. The second jam was attended by the producer of a NPR radio show for use as in a "the local music scene" program. The eclipse was partial in Phoenix, but not really noticeable unless one used the eclipse glasses to look at the sun. Mom, dad, brother and I were in Florida when there was a total eclipse there. I remember it being cloudy, so it probably wasn't as spectacular as it could have been. I had to look it up. March 1970. I was 9 years old.