Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Options

Comments

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,578
    Options

Errands wiped me out today, so dinner will be a rotisserie chicken and rice a roni side. Super easy.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    Options

it’s my mom’s quick version of a stuffed green pepper but with the green pepper cut up and mixed in the filling.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 847
    Options

Minus, I think any kind of olives would work in the pasta salad.

Carole, my mother could not eat raw onions so would use dried onion sometimes. Not sure if that would work for you but I've done it sometimes too.

Mommy, the deconstructed peppers sound good and easier than the regular. A brilliant mom move.

Illi, we also had an " I'm tired meal" - Garden of Eatin boxed tacos. Not bad actually and quick, easy.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,271
    Options

Wally, I simply cruised the refrigerated "heat & eat meats" and deli cases across the aisle from the roast chickens, large salads and shrimp trays—there they were, between the fajitas, carnitas, pulled pork, chicken breast skewers and soups.

Adjusting to the kitties is trickier than I thought. Little Roxy is an Olympic high-jumper. We may move the basil & the wax plant (the urgent care vet office sent it with a sympathy card after Heidi died) back to their original locations because we found they're nontoxic for cats. But our days as indoor scallion-sprouters are over (all alliums are toxic for cats). She did vomit this afternoon because our HK inadvertently overfed them. Before I left at 9 for my dental cleaning, I put out wet food, but by the time she came in at 11 what remained in the dishes was dried up, so she assumed it was from last night. (We used to feet Happy & Heidi their wet food every 4 hrs because their former vet insisted we use kibble only for treats—but the foster said these girls eat wet food twice a day and free-feed kibble). Now, BangBang (who is nearly the size of a bobcat) is large enough to handle it, but Roxy's stomach is much smaller. BangBang is still rather mouthy when she nuzzles—turns out she has long canines and isn't trying to bite me, but the ends of her fangs stick out a bit. I think she needs a dental cleaning, but I'm dreading putting her into a carrier and taking her to a vet (they both need "establishing" visits with a regular vet—not just the rescue vet service). We need to pick a vet and do this before my HK leaves, because it's a job for more than one person.

My breakfast—between the dentist & facial appts—was a couple of eggwhite bites at Starbuck's. Bob had a 1-1/4 hr commute to work this morning and did not relish the return commute, so I picked him up and we had early dinner at Chez Joel. We split a house salad, and he had the paté appetizer. His entree was coq au vin and mine was seared diver scallops atop sliced roasted potatoes, with wild mushrooms, asparagus, carrot puree and a topping of tobiko caviar (flying fish roe). Tomorrow I will make the tilefish (our HK doesn't work weekends, so she won't smell the aftermath) and supplement it with leftovers.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,840
    Options

I put together the broccoli salad this morning and subsequently learned that my class reunion potluck lunch wasn't scheduled for today but for next Friday. It was lucky that we weren't clear on the directions to the camp where it is being held. I called someone who surmised my mistake. I felt bad because dh missed his golf today to go to the reunion with me.

Tonight's dinner will be shrimp. Also coleslaw made from hand slivered cabbage.

I found 00 flour today at Walmart. A small bag so I bought it. I printed out recipes for pizza dough yesterday thinking I would make homemade pizza tonight but instead will make it tomorrow night.

Last night was pork piccata and cauliflower mash.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 882
    Options

Carole, It’s good that you discovered the date mixup before you set out for the camp.

Dinner tonight was chicken in apricot sauce on penne.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,089
    Options

I tried Rao's bottled Italian Wedding Soup tonight. Obviously not homemade, but OK. It thought it was a little bland. Certainly enough to fill me up.

Must do something with fresh mushrooms tomorrow. I'm thinking fried rice, but may end up pasta.

• carolehalston
    Options

We had shrimp fajitas last night with more of the bought tortillas that will be thrown away. They take on the consistency of leather when heated in the cast iron skillet. The shrimp, coleslaw, and guacamole were all very good, deserving of a good tortilla.

Tonight will (probably) be home-made pizza. I plan to mix up the dough this morning. The recipe is a NYT recipe, Roberta's Pizza Dough. I always enjoy reading the comments following a recipe.

• maggie15
    Options

Carole, I enjoy reading the comments and suggestions for improving the recipe, too.

Dinner tonight was beef/lamb ravioli in pomodoro rustica sauce.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,255
    edited April 21
    Options

Carole, don't throw them out!!! Make Chilaqueles with them!!!

Something with hot dogs and beans tonight.

Editing to add….DH did his labs on Friday…his PSA is in the NORMAL range. Unbelievable!!! He started at 10,000 just turning 80 and we did not think he'd still be here, much less be in the normal range. WOOHOO. Of course, there are other issues, but not THIS one, for now.

• illimae
    Options

Tonight is blackened mahi mahi, rice pilaf and broccoli with a full glass of Reisling.

Tomorrow will be flatbread pizzas and salad.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 847
    Options

Tonight was chicken ( and cappelini) florentine and a very nice Pinot Noir.

• carolehalston
    Options

Good news on the PSA, Wally! I'll have to look up Chilaqueles.

All the meals sound so elegant.

My homemade pizza wasn't entirely to my liking. It was toppings heavy thanks to dh's influence. Next time I will make two smaller pizzas (I have two stones). A HIS and a HERS. The crust was good but I'll make it a day ahead of time if I make it again and let it rise in the refrigerator. Or I might try one of the other recipes I printed out.

I had forgotten about the tuna our friends gave us. I will thaw it for tonight and do some googling on cooking tuna.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,255
    Options

Tuna…YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Not sure if I will make a caprese salad, eat the leftover hot dogs or make some veg. nachos.

• maggie15
    Options

Wally, Great to hear your DH’s PSA was normal.

Today we visited Centrale Montemartini, one of my all time favorite museums. It has Roman sculpture and mosaics displayed in a former power plant with all the decommissioned equipment including explanations of how it functioned. It’s a strange juxtaposition that works and is never crowded unlike the rest of the city.

Dinner tonight was leftover ravioli supplemented with mushroom and zucchini pizza.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,063
    Options

That is great news about Wally's DH's PSA value…..

• chisandy
    Options

Went to Regalia last night—shared tuna carpaccio & Mediterranean salad; I had halibut piccata over spinach and Bob had veal Marsala with mashed potatoes.

Today we did dim sum brunch for the first time since I started dieting in 2019. (It was always too carby for me). But seeing as how I struggle to get enough calories & protein in me, and that nothing is off limits unless I can't tolerate it, I decided to give it a go. I had one item each from a plate of three: shrimp & spinach steamed dumpling, pan-seared shimp & chive "pillow," BBQ pork fun roll, 1/2 oz. ea. of pork belly & "honey beef," and 1/3 portion each of pea shoots & Chinese broccoli. I might have made it up to 400-500 cal. Later, had a Premier Protein cafe latte shake—added a shot of espresso and 1/2 c. skim milk to cut the cloying sweetness that most shakes seem to have. Dunno about dinner—probably my leftover halibut.

• minustwo
    edited April 22
    Options

Today's meal was sort of fried rice - actually a 7 grain lentil/rice blend but…. Sauteed onion, water chestnuts, mushrooms and leftover asparagus from the freezer with the cold leftover 'rice'. It was delicious. My treat every night is two individual Godiva Dark Chocolate Ganache hearts. YUM.

I saw that Lindor is making non-dairy chocolate with OatMilk. I'll stick with the real thing, but I sent an email to my vegan nephew.

Actually the tuna comment has inspired me. I'm going to take either salmon or cod out of the garage freezer for tomorrow.

• chisandy
    edited April 22
    Options

I like Lindt's dark chocolate (72%, 85% and 91%), which IIRC does not contain milk. Never been much of a milk chocolate fan (although during the nighttime carb-binges that brought me back up into Class I obesity were largely fueled by milk chocolate Ferrero Rochers and leftover "fun-size" Halloween candy).

• carolehalston
    Options

Well, I flunked tuna. Overcooked the two fillets but they still tasted pretty good. DH had mixed up a murky Asian sauce for himself. I made do with a piece of lemon. Next time I'll do better. The tossed salad and little boiled potatoes were good.

Tonight will be sauteed veggies, yellow squash, zucchini, asparagus, with leftover cooked linguine. Maybe olive oil and butter sauce or maybe a bottled alfredo sauce. Definitely grated parm.

• maggie15
    Options

Sandy, How nice it must be to have small portions of foods you love without overdoing it.

Minus, I stick to dark chocolate too since I’m satisfied with a small amount.

Tonight we ate dinner out for the first time on this trip with DH’s sister and BIL who have come from Ireland. I had manicotti which was just okay. It was a bit chilly outside with showers but that meant there weren’t many people sitting near us.

• illimae
    Options

Tonight was pork chops, mashed potatoes, corn and an onion tart I saw on instagram. The tart was so savory and delicious but next time I’ll use more onions.

• minustwo
    Options

Mae - that onion tart does look delicious.

My meal was a small piece of salmon poached in white wine w/dill and a handful of steamed mini potatoes with butter & "herbes de Provence".

• carolehalston
    Options

DH manned the skillet last night to lightly sautee the veggies, add the cooked linguine and part of a jar of alfredo sauce. The result was delicious with the addition of grated romano. The alfredo sauce was a store brand, Rouses, not expensive and bought on impulse. I also bought their store brand marinara which I used on the pizza. So now two partial jars of sauce in the refrigerator.

Tonight will be what I had planned for last night's dinner until dh reminded me of the leftover linguini. A Mexican or Spanish rice dish with thawed Andouille sausage. I'm at the stage of using up frozen food.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

OK, so I have a two-fold reason for being absent without permission. First, have been coordinating two trips, one to California in June for my 50th high school reunion which has a lot of moving parts, two one-way flights, car rental, the reunion itself, and visits with four different people in four different cities between Los Angeles and Sacramento. The other trip to Canada in July which will involve flying to Buffalo and crossing the border into Canada in a rental car, attending a soccer tournament near Toronto, then spending a couple of days in Toronto itself, then coming back across the border and spending some time in upstate NY, visiting friends and the little town of Rome, where we were stationed and owned our first house, and where my kids were born. Secondly, DD's horse barn (she boards two horses there) has a pig couple who had piglets that were promptly rejected by mama pig, so guess who is doing around the clock piglet feedings? I am tired, and haven't been doing much inventive cooking for the last week or so! I am guessing that we will have baby pigs (thank goodness only two) and one is now pan feeding so he is pretty low maintenance other than the feeding schedule. They can now go 6 hours overnight so it isn't too bad. I am a night owl and DH is an early riser, so I take midnight and he takes 6am. I did have company last night so we had Tuscan herb seasoned pork tenderloin, and roasted carrots with quartered Yukon Gold potatoes all done on a sheet pan in the oven, 15 mins prep and oven does the work. Dinner tonight will be leftover pork tenderloin, sauteed zucchini, and rice pilaf.

On a whim we decided to try the new version of Raisin Bran which is frosted and without raisins. DH pronounced it bland, and I do not need the extra fiber, so he baked refrigerator bran muffins. Instead of keeping the batter in the fridge we just baked off all the muffins and froze the extra. He has at least one every day. He also made some cookies, which tasted great but spread too much and were hard to get off the cookie sheet. They were basically oatmeal cookies with coconut, dried cranberries and white chocolate.

carole - if you have an old school ice tray you can freeze the leftover sauce in it and when frozen just pop them into a ziplock and store in the freezer. I do that often with the canned chipotle peppers in adobo because I never use them up with one recipe.

minus - I have had the Lindt oatmilk chocolate, 10 out of 10, recommend, lol! It is pretty good!

illimae - onion tart looks delish!

wally - yay for DH's lowered PSA - awesome!

chisandy - yay for the new kitties! I am also a castelvetrano olive fan. I can't remember if I ever told this story on this thread but when we went to Italy in 2009 we spent a few nights in Capri. We found a great table at the Piazza Umberto and ordered wine to sit and people watch in the evening before dinner. The waiter brought a little dish of castelvetrano olives - DH is staunchly anti-olive - so I ate them all, and finished my glass of wine. I would leave and go on short forays to shop a little, leaving him at the table drinking wine. When I would get back there would be more olives. I would have wine and olives, and then go shop again leaving him to guard the packages. It was a great night - wine, olives, and shopping! He was perfectly happy sipping wine and watching the goings-on.

auntie - good for you for going to the gym - shockingly, I missed the gym the most during Covid. Mine was hospital based and combined PT with regular gym stuff so they were super cautious and shut it down for a period. I still have not yet gone back and thought I could work out at home. That didn't ever seem to materialize. Still hasn't.

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 105
    Options

@illimae, that onion tart looks so yummy. My lunch yesterday was sauteed brussels sprouts with chorizo and bacon pieces. Served with a salsa and a tiny amount of sour cream.

• maggie15
    Options

Illimae, I’ll take Carole’s piece of that delicious looking onion tart.

Special, You have lots of planning to do to make sure those trips work out. It sounds like you’ll have a great time. When I lived in a farm cottage in Scotland I used to help bottle feed the 150 or so “pet lambs” who had no mother to nurse them because they were the runt triplet, orphans or rejected. There was always a pig named Gruffy who grew, was butchered and magically reappeared as a young pig again.

We spent the day with DH’s sister and BIL; it has been 8 years since we’ve seen them. Lunch was a good pizza sitting outside at a restaurant and I made casarecce with bolognese sauce for dinner. I had my last cup of gelato since we leave Rome tomorrow. I’d drive to Rome NY but there is no gelato shop there.

• chisandy
    Options

Best gelato I ever had was in Trastevere (I forget the name of the stand). Kind of the Williamsburg/Greenwich Village of Rome.

Last night was leftover salad, tuna carpaccio, halibut & spinach. Dessert was a FairLife shake. This morning I had leftover pea shoots and beef. Bob ate the dim sum pastries as a midnight snack. Left him the two chunks of pork belly, beef & Chinese broccoli. Tonight we're going to L Woods for their Passover menu (will obviously pack all of my and half of Bob's dessert). No four cups of wine—I will nurse a Pinot noir (leaving the rest for Bob).

• illimae
    Options

OMG Piglets! I can imagine the cuteness.

Here’s the onion tart recipe, if anyone wants to try it. I’ll definitely make them again.

• carolehalston
    Options

DH had a woodworkers guild meeting last night and had to eat an early dinner so we had salads on dinner plates. Tonight our neighbors are treating us to dinner at a restaurant to thank dh for making a large frame for a painting, saving them a lot of money. Maybe the rice dish with sausage will happen on Thursday.