We need your inspirational words for a new project! Share with us.

So...whats for dinner?

1…16271628163016321633

Comments

  • maggie15
    maggie15 Posts: 2,658

    Eric, The suit jacket probably didn’t fit because of all the muscle you have gained from running. At least you have time to exchange it.

    Wally, I haven’t had frozen mussels for quite a while. I’ll have to get some for myself and cook something else for DH.

    bcincolorado, Adjusting recipes for food allergies and health conditions is an important reason for cooking from scratch.

    Dinner tonight was spinach ravioli in tomato and ground beef sauce.

  • m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Posts: 10,468

    Since we have my favorite college football team on tonight, its frozen pizza

  • Tonight a simple sauté with potatoes, zucchini, garlic and onions with grilled vegan sausage . DH bought a piece of fried flounder for himself. Looking forward to a glass of red wine … a monthly treat. Had to cancel the CSA last week, and they credited me an extra delivery .. feel like a kid in a candy store picking out new vegies and fruit to add on for next week. Dragon beans ( look like white green beans but spotted) are on the menu with beets , rainbow chard and arugula, I think I’ll add some spinach, cheddar and baguette slices. I love my CSA as you all know, and that you can swap out and add in what is fresh and available.

  • maggie15
    maggie15 Posts: 2,658

    Rhonda, It’s great that your CSA lets you choose from options. I had never heard of dragon beans. Given the name I would definitely try them.

    Teka, This is my favorite season of the year. I hope it lasts longer than spring did.

    m0mmy, Pizza goes well with college football.

    Dinner tonight was meatloaf, sautéed zucchini/tomatoes/onions and mashed potatoes.

  • wallycat
    wallycat Posts: 2,086

    Dinner at neighbor's house was great. Focaccia, chicken and pomadoro angel hair pasta and broccoli. I brought wine (grateful they liked it—-costco's Cotes du Rhone). Very weepy day. First time I drove DH's truck since he died; first time I changed the heat pump air filter alone…blah, blah….so many "firsts" without him….life seems so meaningless and yet I know I need to move forward. oy.

    Shana Tova to those who celebrate rosh hashanah.

  • m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Posts: 10,468

    It went very well since my team (Badgers) won!

  • Wally, hugs and admiration for your courage.

    Dinner last night was oven-barbecued chicken thighs cooked in the Sharp microwave/convection oven. I have come to appreciate it. The cooking time is much less than in a house oven. Side was Bob's mashed potatoes.

    Yesterday was our final day at the 2026 farmers market. Thanks to a north wind, it was cold, especially in the shade. Today Mary and Lyman will depart. We will leave in about two weeks. This morning we have the heat pump and the little electric heater warming up the 5th wheel camper.

  • minustwo
    minustwo Posts: 13,946

    Wally - I really like the Costco Cote de Rhone but can never find it at my warehouse. Your strength is astounding.

    Carole - I saw that your temperature was 44. We had 100 again yesterday. I might believe in fall if our night time low temperatures ever fall below 80.

    Didn't bother to eat yesterday since I was never hungry - except for half a Nothing Bundt Cakes Bundtlette at bedtime. Today I had an avocado, two Campari tomatoes and 1/2 a cucumber with two small Hawaiian sweet rolls. May eat some strawberries later. It's just too hot to eat, let alone cook.

  • wallycat
    wallycat Posts: 2,086

    Thank you for thinking I am strong or courageous. I sure don't feel it.

    The wine comes in once/year and if you miss it, it's gone. This time, I got 2 cases. That was when DH was still alive. 😪

    I admit I've started drinking boxed wine, because it is easier to recycle and carry….and I'm going through more than I should to numb myself in the evening. Top Box, I discovered, is actually made by Chateau Ste Michelle and the cabernet is quite good. On sale, it is $10 and change ( 4 bottles to a box)…can't beat that.

    I'm going to have my leftover mussels in cream sauce and white beans that I made the other day.

  • maggie15
    maggie15 Posts: 2,658

    Carole, I could have used one of those microwave/convection ovens for the years I had no oven. They hadn’t been invented yet, though.

    Minus, That constant high heat must be disheartening. I hope it breaks soon.

    Wally, Glad that your dinner with the neighbors was good. You are strong for keeping on when it is difficult. The mussels in cream sauce sound delicious.

    Dinner tonight was corned beef and cabbage, not particularly seasonal but reaching its best by date. It was raining today so the kitchen didn’t heat up.

  • eric95us
    eric95us Posts: 3,505

    That is the definition of strong…."doing it despite it being difficult".

    I canned some more chicken broth today. I'm using the broth for rice and sometimes beans, and this uses three jars per week. So, "in and out" are well matched.

    Sharon had her jam today, so she ate at Subway. I wasn't very hunger and an apple was "it" for me.

    I was hoping to run, but the thunderstorms "said no". I guess I'll have to go back to running in the morning. It has been in the low 90F range in the afternoon and the low 50F range in the morning. The 90F temperatures aren't the problem…it's the "spectacular" thunderstorms that are the problem. :-)

  • Dinner last night was a frozen pizza cooked in the microwave/convection oven.

    We ate mussels on Prince Edwards Island years ago and enjoyed them. Haven't had them since. I do see them occasionally in little bags in the seafood section.

  • wallycat
    wallycat Posts: 2,086
    edited September 14

    I bought the frozen, already shucked (just the bodies) at safeway. It isn't as pretty a presentation as when it is served in their shells, but price point and ease of consumption win. I know I'm getting all meat for the money.

    I may make a frozen 'za…not really sure. Maybe a can of chili.

    Ended up making nachos with black beans.

  • maggie15
    maggie15 Posts: 2,658

    Aldi sometimes has frozen mussels in their shells in butter or tomato sauce. It's in a box in the freezer section. In Italy my favorite meal out at a restaurant in the neighborhood where we always stayed (recommended by a taxi driver) was spaghetti alle vongole. DH couldn't understand why I would put up with shells on my spaghetti. Also, when I would order calamares at a well known shop in Madrid they couldn't understand why DH didn't want any. Sometimes they would include a free extra order figuring I could convince him to try them. It was just extra for me. It took a while but now he will eat lobster, crab and shrimp.

    Eric, Good that you are keeping up with the chicken stock. Definitely stay out of the storms. In AR a neighbor was struck by lightning.

    Dinner tonight was corned beef hash.

  • eric95us
    eric95us Posts: 3,505
    edited September 15

    I ran 6.6 miles this morning.

    This afternoon it was stormy looking, but nothing happened.

    In the early 1980s, I was climbing a tower replacing the "planes don't hit me" red lights and I was at about the 250 foot level when lightening struck the top of the 400 foot tower…ringing ears, stinging nose from the ozone and a somewhat shaken tower climber.

    When I go back to the warehouse in Maryland to work for "Uncle Sam", the "crew" will go out one evening and eat at a all you can eat seafood grill; crabs, lobster, hush puppies, shrimp, clams, plus all the normal side dishes…. $70 or so for each person, but we all leave "stuffed to the gills".

    I'm almost done cooking rice and pressure cooking pinto beans. We have chicken so that sounds like bean, rice and chicken burritos.

  • We had a rainy day yesterday. No golf for dh. We went to town and had breakfast, shopped for groceries, and stopped at the bank. As soon as we returned to the campground, the rain started. During the afternoon, dh offered to make the chili planned for dinner. It was very tasty with sour cream, shredded cheese, and chips.

    Strong wind gusts today. We changed our plan to take a day trip. DH is off to the gym. I may go later as is my preference. Unlike dh, I do not like to rush off in the morning. Not sure what dinner will be. I'm working on using up the contents of the freezer.

  • maggie15
    maggie15 Posts: 2,658

    Carole, Chili is a great meal for a rainy day. Using up the freezer contents must make you think creatively.

    Eric, DH learned to like crabmeat when we lived on the Eastern Shore of MD since so many get togethers were crab feasts with wooden hammers to break the shells.

    Dinner tonight was meatloaf cockaigne made with ground chicken, cauliflower and mashed potatoes.

  • Dinner last night made use of a package of ground pork and cooked linguine from the freezer. A jar of Raos from the pantry supplies. Our side was a salad with lettuce and tomato from the farmers market with additions. Enough left over pasta dish for another meal.

    This morning there are warnings of frost tonight a little north of our area. Now that Mary and Lyman are gone, we are using their parking space by parking our cargo trailer near our deck. DH has already unloaded the back of the truck, so the vendor set up no longer rides with us wherever we go.

    We're meeting Judy and Ron at 5:30 tonight at Dairy Queen for another budget dinner. It will be fun to visit with them. I look forward to a small hot fudge sundae.

  • maggie15
    maggie15 Posts: 2,658

    Carole, It’s cooler here but no chance of frost yet. I like the small sundaes at DQ and McDonalds since they’re enough of a treat without making you feel you have eaten too much. I hope you have a good visit.

    Dinner tonight was Tuscan garlic shrimp on farfalle.

  • We enjoyed our DQ dinner with Ron and Judy. Funny moment as we were departing. Ron knew a girl working behind the counter. We paused while he chatted with her and a young man employee. The young man smiled at Ron and Judy and said, "Date night?" The quip struck me as really funny.

    I need to open the freezer and choose something for dinner tonight.

  • wallycat
    wallycat Posts: 2,086

    I'm making italian sausage cut up with canned cherry tomatoes, garbanzo beans, diced onion and some cauliflower.

    Tomorrow, I will be back to chain sawing the overhang in the driveway. I managed to weedwhack my whole septic mound…if I am repeating, sorry. Rest today. Arms are wet noodles.

  • maggie15
    maggie15 Posts: 2,658

    Carole, I guess you are never too old for a date night. I found that high school students underestimated my age by about 20 years. They assumed I was their grandma’s age but their grandparents could have been my children. I never complained, lol. Also, the kids all enjoyed spending time with their grandparents as opposed to their parents (typical adolescent maturation) so it made my job easier. Over the years I ran the gamut of being identified with older siblings, parents or grandparents.

    Wally, That yard work sounds like quite the workout. You certainly earned your dinner.

    Dinner tonight was salmon, asparagus and pan fried potatoes.

  • minustwo
    minustwo Posts: 13,946

    Dinner was egg salad without bread and watermelon.

    Carole - I'm reading all of Amanda Cross' novels about university NY Univ. English professor Kate Fansler. Have you read her? Nom de plume for Carolyn Heilbrun and her wonderful book "Writing A Women's Life". I'd like to read your books. Looks on line like many of them are "out of stock".

  • Dinner last night was pork chops, breaded and panfried, and butternut squash. I cooked the squash in the microwave, scooped out the interior and mixed with brown sugar and butter.

    On reading, I have recently read three books in the mystery category that I had already read at some time in the past. The stories were vaguely familiar, but I didn't remember "what happened" and kept reading to the end. The same thing has happened to dh. I occasionally buy an ebook on sale but mostly check out ebooks from our library. The selection is large but many of the popular authors aren't popular with me. I keep the books on my Kindle after they have been returned to the library by Amazon by turning off the wifi and setting the Kindle to airplane.

    We took the golf cart to a Small Engines repair person yesterday, so we are down to the pickup truck for transportation to the golf course. DH dropped me off and picked me up yesterday, and I had to pay a cart rental fee.

  • maggie15
    maggie15 Posts: 2,658

    I never have much luck borrowing ebooks from the local library since they subscribe to only one service and most books are out on loan. I have found some good books to read at the six little free libraries around town. I miss being able to borrow books from the high school library which had a great fiction collection and, for a while, a librarian who had read just about all of them and made great recommendations. Right now I’m reading Banyan Moon by Thao Thai. I’m paying for ebooks more frequently since I have trouble turning the pages in physical books.

    Carole, I hope your golf cart is fixed soon.

    Dinner tonight was cube steak and parsnips sautéed in onion sauce with mashed potatoes.

  • We had leftover pasta dish last night and a salad with lettuce and tomato and additions. DH was up during the night looking for the Pepto. The tomato sauce must have caused him some digestive issues.

    It's in the 50's this morning and cloudy. I have a list for Walmart's shopping and plan to stop by the farmers market to visit our friends Judy and Ron on the final Saturday. I'm just as glad not to be a vendor today. I hope they have some sales.

  • eric95us
    eric95us Posts: 3,505

    I'm going to go run. Hopefully it won't rain on me. In Phoenix, getting rained on, by "mother nature" or park sprinklers was a welcome thing. Up here, not so much. :-) I did get 21 miles in since last Sunday. All of the running routes were shorter than usual due to deep mud so I had to run routes twice to get the mileage.

    Dinner tonight will likely be spaghetti and Sharon's homemade sauce. I have made some more rice and beans.

    Earlier this week I "scored" when I found several chicken carcasses in the freezer. Those have been turned into broth and canned.

    We go to a used book store in Show Low for the "will keep them" books. The local library provides the entertainment reading.

  • auntienance
    auntienance Posts: 4,128

    Pasta fagioli made in the slow cooker - a new experience for me. I think I made it too spicy. I may be joining your DH with the pink stuff Carole.

    Tomorrow starts some blessed relief from the 90s. Hottest September I can recall.

  • wallycat
    wallycat Posts: 2,086

    I made nachos with 1/4 can of canned chili.

    Neighbors came to help me with my yard. I managed to chop down my oregon grape that DH was going to take care of; weedwhacked (again, and probably more in store), raked some of the mound, helped load yard waste and took care of some of the front of the yard. Another set of neighbors will buy DH's truck. I sobbed, sobbed, sobbed so hard I thought I was losing it, cleaning it out this morning. Like he died all over again. Ugh. And I chain sawed an evergreen that he had wanted to cut down but I dragged my heels 😭

  • maggie15
    maggie15 Posts: 2,658

    Carole, It must be a nice change of pace to go to the farmers market as a customer.

    Eric, Being able to can chicken broth without having to cook the chickens saved you more time for running.

    Nance, Did you make Jamie Oliver’s angry pasta fagiole? I’ve always used the regular mild Italian herbs with no chilies.

    Teka, Your meals as well as Wally’s chili nachos do make good snack food.

    Wally, It’s convenient to have sold the truck to a neighbor but how painful to let it go. Hugs.

    Dinner tonight was creamy chicken and asparagus with mashed potatoes.