Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Options

Comments

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    Options

NatureGirl - my DHis really struggling with sharing the mango salsa tomorrow -it is sooo good!!!   however have no problem sharing Laughing  I was amazed to find ripe and oh so juicy mango's at the store today that I just couldn't resist.  I love ceasar salad with lemony garlic dressing and fresh Parmesan.

• o2bhealthy
    Options
    Joni1 - ohhhh! I LOVE Turkey sandwiches with cream cheese and home made cranberry sauce!! I make extra cranberry sauce on thanksgiving just for the sandwiches Laughing
  • SeasideMemories
    SeasideMemories Member Posts: 2,462
    Options

jacee,

That DOES sound really good!  I have some cranberry sauce left-over and have cream cheese in the fridge.  I bet I would like that even more than the mayo!  Will have to pick up some sprouts at the store when I go tomorrow.

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Nancy91355,

Doesn't sound bad to me at all.... But I am a big fan of everything in moderation! 

My DH returned from a business trip last night.  Dinner tonight  was pasta carbonara, his favorite!  It is delicious BUT sinfully high in calories and fat!  It is truly a once or twice a YEAR dish!

Will need to REALLY hit that treadmill tomorrow! 

We can't be good ALL of the time! Wink

• o2bhealthy
    Options

Laurie - Stuffed turkey burgers: 

This time I used 3 parts ground turkey to 1 part ground sausage, combined. 

In a food processor went red onion, carrot, red pepper and fresh Italian parsley until chopped real fine (no idea how much since we pre-chopped lots of veggies for today so I just grabbed hand fulls of each and threw them into the processor).  Mix into ground meat. 

Toast two slices of bread, put in food processor and grind into crumbs, mix into the ground meat.  Add 1 egg to help bind. 

I find it easier to cook the burgers on the stove top or on a griddle since they can fall apart on the BBQ grill but they are oh so yummy!  I set aside the rest of the meat in a small loaf pan with a little ketchup over the top for meat loaf later in the week. 

Tada! Two dinners prepped for the week...

Tonight we had the four bean, kale, veggie soup...my DD ate three bowls!!!  I was hoping for more left overs, but I am thrilled she likes the soup, she is normally not a fan of veggies.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    Options

Superbowl tomorrow. If you are eating that guacamole I highly recommend eating with celery and red/yellow/green peppers slices instead of chips.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,820
    Options

Great thread.  The chicken salsa recipe sounds good.  I plan to write it down and try it.  I ate dinner out tonight with DH and another couple (after seeing The King's Speech at the movies).  I had dental laser surgery on Tues. and am restricted to soft foods for a couple of weeks.  So I had pesto trout, which was trout grilled or broiled with pesto sauce on top of the filets, and two sides, cheese grits and buttered sweet potatoes.  Oh, and two glasses of chardonnay!    I had hoped I might lose weight on this restricted diet, but I'm finding that soft foods can be delicious and full of calories!  Last night I cooked a wonderful meatloaf and mashed potatoes. 

For those who aren't fond of or familiar with grits, the cheese grits are very similar to polenta.

The internet has made it easy to come up with recipes.  I've also used a lot of good recipes from the Weight Watcher online subscription.

I, too, would be interested in the low-carb mac and cheese.  I made a very easy high carb oven version last weekend that doesn't involve making a white sauce.

• Laurie08
    Laurie08 Member Posts: 2,047
    Options

O2b- your burgers sound yummy!  It isn't often that I break out the food processor.  Your recipe reminds me of when I worked in one restaurant and they had the best vegi burgers.  They used everything you could imagine int hose things and they were to die for.  I wish I knew what was in them (it's 16 years ago!).  I would just about kill for one now.  But they were very "different" , mushy when they went on the grill and heaven coming off.  I was a vegetarian for many years and after three years with my husband started to eat meat again. 

You know what they say "the way to a mans heart is through their stomach." :D

• SeasideMemories
    Options

lago,

I had my share of 'bad' tonight and will need to be on good behavior tomorrow! 

Plan to have as a snack a bit of homemade hummus with some pita bread.  But I do think my best defense may be having a good late lunch or early dinner so that I'm not hungry during the game.  No party plans so don't think it will be too much of a hurdle!

Laurie, maybe for tomorrow, instead of what's for dinner, we can talk about what's your super-bowl dinner/snacks...

• o2bhealthy
    Options

Nancy91355 - I love pizza, not so much beer but a lovely mixed drink is nice! 

We are going to a friends house and almost everyone brings junk food. I always bring health choices, veggie platters, hummus or salsa.  That way I don't feel too guilty when I indulge...

My DD baked a yellow butter cake with whipped cream/cream cheese vanilla  frosting.   One of my friends has a wheat allergy so I think I'll make some gluten free chocolate chip cookies using almond flour as a special treat or maybe some brownies... 

• o2bhealthy
    Options

Lago - good idea!!! I already have the celery, carrots and snow pea's but I didn't think of peppers for scooping yummies!

Laurie - I have one of those little counter top processers that only makes about two cups max.  I have all kinds of slicing, chopping and julienne kitchen gadgets that make prep work and presentation fun.

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Michelle,

One of my daughter's friends  has a wheat allergy and it is SO hard for her to find things that she can eat.  I know when they go out to eat there is an Italian restaurant here in town that will allow her to bring her own gluten-free pasta and they will cook it for her and then serve with their sauce (and discount her bill).  It is so hard to be "different" when you are young and I thought that was such a nice thing for them to do!

How sweet of you to think of your friend and to prepare something special so that you know there will be something there that you know she/he can have! 

• SeasideMemories
    Options

carolehalston,

That pesto fish sounds wonderful... We don't tend to find grits very readily on the menu where I am (in the NE) but, my family and I usually take a vacation down south in the summer and order the grits (both cheese grits and garlic grits) when we can!

Meatloaf and mashed potatoes is a favorite comfort food of mine and, suprisingly, one of the few foods that all in my family will eat!

As an aside... I had never heard of the the movie "The King's Speech" and after seeing it in your post, I checked and it got VERY good reviews.  I thought it sounded really interesting... What did you think of it ?

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499
    Options

Laurie - I made your salsa chicken tonight! It was really easy and good. I made white rice though. I'll make it with brown rice next time. Anyway, thanks for the recipe!

• Laurie08
    Options

meatloaf and mashed potatoes are my favorite.  I was raised that if something has brown gravy you have sliced sharp cheddar cheese to eat with it.  How bizarre is that?  But I LOVE it!

Today at our winter fun day someone brought an appetizer that was hummus on the bottom and layered with feta cheese, tomato and cucumber on top and served it with toasted pita chips.  It was excellent.  Maybe a healthier choice for tomorrows game?

I live in Patriot's Country so everyone here is ignoring Super Bowl Sunday.  I'm sure the game will be on the tv but no parties are planned, kind of funny I think.

• Laurie08
    Options

Yay Selly!  I am so glad you liked it!  I had not been a brown rice fan until this recipe, it made me more open minded.  I am so glad you tried it and liked it!!

• Laurie08
    Options

*Shelly

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Laurie,

My poor husband and son are BILL's fans (GROAN)....  So no partying for us...  We'll watch here for the commercials!

My son's girlfriend's family is from Pittsburgh so he will be going to their house for the festivities!  If they win, their family will be headed to Pittsburgh for the victory parade!  Should be interesting!  

PS... Interesting take on the gravy and slice of cheddar.  I could see where that would be good.  In my family it was apple pie with a slice of cheddar.  As my grandma used to say... Apple pie without some cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze! (God, I miss her)

• Laurie08
    Options

Apple pie without some cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze! 

Seaside- that is just fantastic.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    Options

Wiener Schnitzl with creamed spinach and sweet potato.  Think a kiwi fruit for dessert.  Washed down with some lovely riesling.  Was delish, and will reprise tomorrow as I have leftover everything.

I had garbage pizza for lunch as was at a meeting.  Think I cycled most of it off though.

I am going to eat my faves this week in celebration of my birthday.  Not sure what yet, but a cake for sure.

Spaghetti Carbonara is one of my faves too.  Just the most delish.

Forget salads right now. It's mid winter and cold.  So comfort food, and winter veggies which I believe you need when the weather is cold and dark.

• tougherthanithought
    Options

Reading through this thread always makes me hungry! 

I had posted earlier about how my kids preferred boxed mac and cheese to my homemade...well I decided to try the homemade again, since it had been a least a year since I made it, so last night I made it and BOTH MY KIDS ATE IT!!!  Along with sliced garlic pork loin and green beans w/ almonds.  They actually ate everything!  Maybe they are starting to turn a corner with this picky eating :)

So for the Super Bowl, we are staying home (DH has early meeting in the city, and doesn't think he'll even be awake for the whole thing!) - which is fine w/ me.  I love being home w/ the family, in the warm house in comfy clothes and snacking on appetizers!  This is what I'm planning on making:

Asparagus, mushroom and bacon Quesadillas

Humus w/ baby carrots and snap peas

salsa w/ tortilla chips

deviled eggs

cheese/ crackers/grape plate

sliced strawberries and pineapple (my kids favorite fruits)

And, of course for DH and I...a bottle of wine!  Can't wait!  I hope the commercials don't disappoint!

Happy Birthday Claire_in_Seattle!!

And Happy Sunday to all!

Sherrill

• lago
    Options

Claire, Happy Birthday. Mine's tomorrow. I'll be 49+1

• tougherthanithought
    Options

Happy Birthday, Iago!

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    Options

Happy birthday, Claire and Lago!  My birthday was a few days ago, too -- as I always tell my niece (another Feb. birthday), February birthdays are the best! Smile

I don't watch football (I know, blasphemy!) so I'm not watching the superbowl and won't be tempted by all the food.   Not sure what dinner tonight will be yet.

Have a good day, everyone!

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    Options

Just the DH and I at home for the football game. Not doing a lot of food. Making a spinach/artichoke dip and teriyaki chicken skewers with some fried rice. That's about it.

DH will make us a nice french pressed cup of coffee with biscotti....that will be dessert.

Go Packers!!!

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    Options

Just found a  recipe for acorn squash risotto -- I have some cooked sweet potatoes that I'll sub for the acorn squash.  It's got just a hint of curry in it & is topped with nuts &/or dried cranberries.  A bit different from other risottos I've made, and sounds delicious! 

Artichoke dip... yum... I guess it's a good thing I'm not going to any SB parties! :)

• yramal
    yramal Member Posts: 90
    Options

I don't really enjoy cooking, but for some strange reason, I love to read cookbooks. I love reading this thread! 

I am definitely going to have to try the salsa chicken recipe. Laurie08-Do you use boneless or bone-in chicken breasts??

Mary 

• lago
    Options

Yes I think I'm going to have to do that Mango Salsa one too. Did I miss the recipe?

o2bhealthy if you have a picture I can make/design a recipe card for you and post a PDF for you to print out. 

• Laurie08
    Options

Mary- I use boneless but whats great is that because the way it is cooked you don't evenneed to pound the chicken.

Lago, I posted it on the beginning of the thread, but here it is again for you! 

2-4 chicken breasts- put them in a Pyrex dish and dump a jar of your favorite salsa over it.  Open a can of black beans and drain- dump that over it too.  Cover and bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours. (it works like a fast slow cooker and makes a sauce out of the black beans and salsa, the chicken just shreds apart.)

Make some brown rice and 2 minutes before you are ready to eat uncover the chicken and top with cheddar cheese, or mexican blend, what ever is handy,  We eat it using the salsa mixture on the rice as a type of sauce and a spoonful of sour cream on the chicken.

• yramal
    yramal Member Posts: 90
    Options

Thanks Laurie!

Mary