Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Thanks for posting it again. Where do you get mango salsa?

• NSWTD
    NSWTD Member Posts: 34

Tonight I made veggie soup.   Will have that with lightly toasted whole wheat bread, the good artisan type bread, not grocery store mass produced stuff.  A glass of chardonay and I am all set.

• yramal
    yramal Member Posts: 90

Lago-Do you have Trader Joe's in Chicago? You can buy mango salsa there. If not, some other gourmet food store would probably have it.

Mary

• lago

Yes there are several Trader Joes near me. I actually plan on going to one tomorrow. I will check it out. If it's too high in sugar I will have to make my own. Thanks

• Laurie08
    Laurie08 Member Posts: 2,047

Lago- It's not mango salsa, though you could use it too.  Just a container of your favorite salsa.  The kind you would eat with chips for a snack. 

NSWTD- the veggie soup and bread sounds fantastic.  My husband is such a meat and potaotes kind of gut he would be opening the oven to see what else I made, lol!  But that is the kind of dinner I would love:)

I'm thinking meatloaf for tonight with garlic mashed potatoes and some butternut squash.  I've spent so much time outside the past few days I need some comfort food!

• Laurie08

*guy not gut, lol! 

• imbell
    imbell Member Posts: 61

Not a natural cook or even a trained at home one and have lost my sense of taste. I just can't get motivated. My DH suggested Chinese food so he must be getting desperate. He will be watching the Super Bowl game even though his team is not playing (Atlanta falcons) Order my grits and white self-rising cornmeal from online. DH says yellow tastes like cake. Wonder what customs thinks? We eat a lot of southern foods. Love the veggies and I can get okra and dried beans here.  Deep South Dish has a great corn beef and cabbage recipe for whoever was wondering if southerners eat this dish. My background is Polish but I started life in the Middle East and then Engand before coming to Canada. My mother made more egg and beans than cabbage rolls.

• SeasideMemories
    SeasideMemories Member Posts: 2,462

Happy Birthday to the ladies having a birthday!

Lago, I think O2B was the one who posted about making mango and pineapple chutney!

Laurie, you cracked me up with the whole "gut vs guy" typo!  After the talk of meatloaf and mashed potatoes yesterday I have added those to my list for later this week or early next week!  Hope you remembered your cheese...lol!

NatureGrrl, Let us know how your risotto turned out!  I am making a wild mushroom one later this week.  Risotto has always sounded so intimidating that it wasn't until very recently that I tried to make one.  It was time consuming but, really NOT hard!

Immarybell, we will be watching the Super Bowl tonight at my house even though "our" team is not playing either.  We do have a corned beef and cabbage dinner at my house, too.  Generally, for St. Patrick's day!  My husband and I enjoy it.  The kids, not so much!

• Laurie08

Seaside- I've never made risotto either, let me know how your mushroom risotto turns out, I think I'de like to try it.  I laughed at my typo too, maybe it was a slip? hahaha!! 

So my husband had gone out to visit friends while the kids napped and get some pre super bowl fun in.  I was about to start my meatloaf and he asked if we could have it tomorrow night.  Sooo- instead we are having pizza made at home from store dough with salad so he can eat in front of the tv with the boys.  So I need to wait another night for my meatloaf, but I DO have my cheese!!

• SeasideMemories

tougherthanithought,

Wow, wish I was watching the game at your house!  That all sounds so good!  I do love the simplicity of a good cheese plate, especially with grapes!  Asparagus, mushroom and bacon quesadillas... Oh my!  If you don't mind sharing, I would love the recipe for those!

Claire_in_Seattle ,

I have to agree that salads just don't seem to be very appealing when the weather is so cold!  Would love to see some recipes here for really good winter vegetable dishes!  Saw one yesterday on the Food Network where it was kind of like a potato gratin but, the chef used turnips in place of potatoes.  I may try that.  I don't think I have ever eaten a turnip in my life, so it could be interesting. 

jacee,

Spinach and artichoke dip is a favorite here.  Tonight I took a detour and made a Jalapeno Popper Spread for my son to take to his girlfriend's house for the party they are having there.  Hope it's good! 

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681

Yes, o2b posted about making mango salsa, I'd love it if she'd share the recipe!  O2B, can we twist your arm?

My nephew came by to drop off his car again and wanted someone to eat pizza with him, oh, twist my arm :)  (actually I can't find the kind of pizza I like here in town so I don't go crazy over it but who can resist an adorable 18 YO who is willing to eat dinner with his old aunt?). 

Anyway, risotto moved to another night, but I'll definitely let you know how I like it. Recipe is here if anyone wants to look at it.  I agree, seaside, I was intimidated by risotto until I made it; it's sooo good and worth the tending it takes!  I actually somewhere have a version where you don't have to stir it all the time (I don't anyway but I hover a lot) -- you partially cook it and then finish it quickly later, or something, I can't remember -- if my recipe box ever surfaces (most of my things are in boxes), I'll pull that out. It was supposedly adaptable to any risotto recipe.

Laurie, I was vegetarian for several years also, and vegan for part of that (but really really missed plain yogurt, of all things, go figure).  I still eat little meat.  What got me the most was that during treatment, I absolutely craved beef and couldn't tolerate chicken (!) -- the opposite of my usual likes.

Wouldn't it be great if we could all do a big potluck?  Think of all the great food!

Happy Superbowl, fans!

• lago

immarybell New England boiled dinner IS cornbeef and cabbage (with potatoes and carrot). That's not southern. (Yes I'm from outside of Boston originally).

o2bhealthy  Mango Chutney? Did we have a recipe?

cooking risotto, isn't that similar to cooking rice or pasta?

• LuvRVing
    LuvRVing Member Posts: 2,409

Lago - I am from New Hampshire and in our family, the New England Boiled Dinner was made with a smoked ham shoulder, potatoes, carrots and green beans.  Nowadays, I prefer the corned beef version.

I made pulled pork tacos for our Super Bowl dinner, along with homemade guacamole.  I'm making a big batch of popcorn at halftime.  The good news is that there is LOTS of pulled pork left over.  I'll mix it with BBQ sauce in a couple of days and make some maple and bacon flavored baked beans.

Michelle

• apple
    apple Member Posts: 1,466

(i've added this to my favorite topics.. I'm not cooking tonite - a rarity).  We'll have our simple noodle soup with chicken base and frozen vegetables added at the table so we can eat it faster.. It's really quite good.  We eat very well.  I feed lots of people and cook everything from scratch.  I love getting new ideas and have enjoyed reading so far.. 5 pages!

• lago
    Apple I will be making chicken vegetable soup(no noodles) this week. Once I make and and have a photo I will post the recipe. This is one of the healthiest 1 pot meals I make.
  • SeasideMemories

lago,

Risotto uses a type of rice called Arborio ( a short-grained rice with a high starch content).  What makes it different is how it is cooked.  You keep adding small amounts of liquid and for the most part stir continuously until it is cooked through (rather than the "do not disturb" method for regular rice).  The result is a very creamy consistancy.

This is the recipe that I will be making later this week.   http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/wild-mushroom-risotto-recipe/index.html

I think she explains the method very well... We'll see how I do...lol!

• apple
    apple Member Posts: 1,466

it's been soup week in KS.. It's been so darn cold.

we had a leek /beef soup, an oriental chicken soup, lentil soup with a great local sausage, and a tomato, basil cream soup this week.  we are about souped out..( tho we are doing a simple soup tonite as well.)  Personally i am not hungry as I took my starving daughter out for an emergency hamburger and had one too.

• LuvRVing

I am in Blue Springs, across the state line, and you're right.  It has been a ridiculously cold and snowy week.  I have made several soups in the last few weeks - chili, French Onion, and turkey vegetable.  My husband is going out of town on business this week and between leftovers in the fridge and stuff in the freezer, I am thinking I might not need to cook for a week.

Michelle

• SeasideMemories

This time of year, soup is ALWAYS a good choice if you live in the northern climate!!! It warms you up body and soul!!!!

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219

apple & LuvRv- I'm just a few hours south of you both in Rogers, AR.

It's colder than I've ever seen it.

• LuvRVing

Well, 35 years ago I lived in upstate New York (right off Lake Ontario) and I've seen enough snow and cold to last several lifetimes.  We've been here for 16 years and this is the coldest, snowiest few weeks that I recall.  I keep telling myself that usually, by St. Patty's Day, we've had a couple of days in the 70's.  

Michelle 

• SeasideMemories

CONGRATS to all of the Packer Backers!!!!!

Good Game!!!

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089

Wow this thread has been busy today... I play around with recipes and never make something the same way twice but here is the recipe I played with for Mango Salsa from allrecipes.com:

Mango Salsa Recipe

2 mangoes - peeled, seeded, and chopped1 (8 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained (I used fresh pineapple)1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves2 tablespoons peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger1/2 cup chopped red onion1/4 cup rice vinegar (or red wine vinegar/apple cider vinegar)1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste

Let it sit together in the fridge for at least an hour for the flavors to blend

You can serve with chips, veggies, fish, pork... very yummy

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681

Oh, yum!  Cilantro, ginger, mango -- some of my favorite things in one recipe -- thanks for sharing!!!  Copied and printed to make, soon.  Thank you for sharing!

• lago
    Thanks o2bhealthy It looks wonderful. I need to make this one.
  • Seaside,

The asparagus, mushroom & bacon quesadillas were good! I got the recipe from

mccormickgourmet.com. Search recipe and you should find it. If not I can get it to you later.

For Christmas dinner I made a cauliflower gratin with Gruyere cheese that was yummy! (just don't have it often-very rich). But it was a nice change from potatoes.

I've also started making Brussel sprouts a lot lately. Roasted in oven w/ olive oil, garlic cloves and a little salt & pepper. I could eat the entire pan myself!

I think this has become my favorite topic! I look forward to checking out what everyone is making! Love it!
    Sherrill

• Oh, Seaside, I forgot to add...I didn't have cumin seeds so I just sprinkled ground cumin on top before they went into the oven.

• Laurie08

Sherrill -the brussel sprouts sound like a great idea.  We never eat them and but the way you described it sounds yummy and easy.

So tonight is the meatloaf and mashed potato dinner that we were supposed to have last night.  The meatloaf is already in the oven and I am about to peel my potatoes.  I think it's funny that after years of not eating meat this is one of my favorite dinners :)

• Laurie, the Brussel sprouts are really easy and delicious!  I also roast cauliflower the same way.  The garlic comes out soft and nutty, as you would eat it spread on bread, but combined w/ the veggies...so good!

Meatloaf is one of those dinners I love to make ahead earlier in the day when the kids are in school, stick it in the fridge, and just take it out and throw it in the oven.  So easy to just have to make a vegetable and rice or potatoes.  Besides, the kids actually eat it, so that is a huge plus.

• SeasideMemories

Tonight is Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry over rice. 

O2B, Thanks for the mango salsa recipe!! Looks and sounds delicious! allrecipes.com is a favorite site of mine as well!

tougherthanithought, That quesadilla recipe sounds wonderful!  I've bookmarked the recipe! I've always been odd in that I do love brussel sprouts even when my Mom boiled the heck out of them and served them with a bit of butter, salt and pepper.  You are right, roasting them takes them to a whole new level.... Soooooo, good!

Laurie, Meatloaf and mashed is definitely coming up for us here!