Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Options

Comments

• SeasideMemories
    SeasideMemories Member Posts: 2,462
    Options

LuvRVing,

My DH was out of town on business all last week.  I cooked just once or twice and then had leftovers the rest of the week!  Missed him but, was nice to not have to cook every night!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    Options

I don't normally peel potatoes unless really mangy looking.  Waste of time, and the skins are good for you.  So I normally use with skins on.  If I am boiling them, I remove the skins afterward.

They were just fine with skins for the Potatoes Anna I made last week.  Yum!!!!

I usually boil Brussels sprouts until just tender, then toss/brown in a bit of butter with a nutmeg dusting.  I have tried roasting, but my technique was lacking.  Dried out burned sludge.

One vegetable that does benefit from roasting is asparagus.  The season will be upon us soon, and ever so much better tossed in a bit of olive oil and placed under the broiler. 

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,829
    Options

Today while I was at my bridge game, DH cooked red beans with a hambone from Honey Hams.  Red beans and rice is a traditional dish for Mondays in south Louisiana.  Many restaurants have it on the menu for Monday Special.  I'll cook brown rice tonight and make a garden salad.  I'll have to skip the salad and spoon my beans on bread since I'm having to eat "mushy" food following dental surgery.

I cooked two soups last week from a recipe book called Hollyhocks and Radishes.  I bought it in the UP of MI last summer.  Both were vegetarian soups:  Spinach Lemon and Tomato Asparagus.  Tasty and definitely a bit unusual. 

I like this thread but reading it makes me hungry! 

• tougherthanithought
    Options

Carolehalston, I couldn't agree  more!  This thread and the food network make me hungry!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    Options

We always have brussel sprouts. Had them last night steamed with cauliflower.

Nice way to cook potatoes. Use red potatoes. Cut in cubes or thick slices. In a plastic bag shake potatoes with olive oil and garlic powder. Place on a sheet (foil covered cookie sheet) and bake till done. Should turn brown. You may want to turn them over when brown on one side.

• LuvRVing
    LuvRVing Member Posts: 2,409
    Options

Hubby won't eat cauliflower or brussel sprouts in any way, shape or form.  I've tried. 

I decided to cook tonight so we are having andouille sausage and shrimp jambalaya. 

Michelle

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    Options

I made the roasted brussels mentioned earlier in this thread and it was absolutely delicious!  I didn't have any garlic on hand, so I made it without it.  I'll pick some up and make it again.  Thanks for sharing the idea.  (Even my 15 year old son liked it!)

• jan508
    jan508 Member Posts: 724
    Options

Great thread Laurie:

My DH does alot of the cooking...tonight it was really miserable out, rainy...etc so we had escarole and cannellini beans with garlic and sausage.  Yummy..

Lago: Potatoes sound great. I make roasted potatoes. Cut in cubes, put olive oil on them along with sea salt and pepper and a little butter (so oil doesn't burn). Bake until tender and brown. 

Jan

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Yeah, glad you're here, Jan!

Your dinner sounds very similar to what we call "Greens and Beans" at my house and, YES, it is sooo good!

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Faith316,

I WAS really amazed at how much of a difference the roasting made in the flavor!! I look forward to trying  it wih other veggies!!!

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    Options

Yet another reason I wish I had a broiler - roasting veggies!!!

• o2bhealthy
    Options

Tonight we had spaghetti squash with home made sauce...the kids had regular noodles Laughing

For some reason I am REALLY craving something sweet.  I have been really good about limiting carbs but I have discovered that I cannot stop once I get started. I had three, yes three, pieces of cake on Sunday!! Of course I justified the extra servings because I did not eat any chips with my salsa, no bun with my burger, etc... Undecided

• lago
    Options

o2b I was going to make spaghetti squash tonight but got too busy. We'll be having tomorrow. I'll post pictures and recipe then.

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    Options

I'm cleaning up leftovers so no exciting meal cooking tonight. 

I love roasted veggies -- brussel sprouts, asparagus, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, summer squash, onions, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, peppers... o2b, I don't used a broiler, I just crank up the oven (but you can do it in a range of temps -- 350-425 -- for me it depends partly on how long I want to roast them and how dense they are).  I do a variety at once by putting the densest ones in first, then adding less and less dense as I go along.  Leftovers are great, lightly warmed up or even cold on sandwiches.  I generally toss with a bit of olive oil and whatever herbs sound good.  Garlic is always good, too :)  Definitely one of my favorite ways to have veggies!

Happy eating, everyone!

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,829
    Options

The roasted veggies are good tossed with pasta.  Maryann Esposito (pbs) has a good recipe for roasted brussel sprouts and penne pasta.  She included green beans but I left the beans out.  Available on her website.  Will be so glad when I can eat "crunchy" again instead of "mushy." 

Cannot imagine not having garlic on hand!  I buy it in the jars of fresh peeled pods and keep it in the refrigerator.  Garlic is wonderful roasted in the big cluster with the peelings on and then squeezed out into mashed potatoes or whatever.

I first cooked risotto using a WW recipe for Mushroom Risotto.  It's really good and easy but you do stand at the stove and stir the hot chicken broth into the arborio rice for about 30 min.  It can be made ahead and heated up in the microwave.  And the effort is totally worthwhile. 

• tougherthanithought
    Options

I'm thinking of making this pasta dish sometime this week since we haven't had it in a while and it's easy:

Pasta w/ Shrimp, Broccoli & Sun-dried Tomato

Sauté diced garlic in olive oil, cook shrimp in garlic oil. Cook pasta (I usually use whole grain spaghetti) and the last few minutes throw broccoli florets in the pasta water to cook until tender-crisp. Drain pasta & broccoli, add to shrimp. You can add a little chicken broth if if seems too dry or a bit more olive oil. Add chopped sun-dried tomatoes and season to taste w/ salt & pepper. Grate some parmesean cheese when plated. Sorry I can't provide measurements since I usually just wing-it :)

• o2bhealthy
    Options

Sounds yummy Sherrill!!

• Laurie08
    Laurie08 Member Posts: 2,047
    Options

Sherrill that does sound good!  I think this week I am going to need to write a grocery list and pick some of the new recipes everyone has been suggesting instead of just going with my regular stuff. 

I use Allrecipes.com quite a bit too- someone else had mentioned it here.  Most of the time I find some easy and good things to make.  Tonight I am thinking I am going to roast a chicken with red potatoes and carrots.

• lago
    Options

BTW I just though since this is a cooking thread I would turn you on to this great places to buy spices. I purchase them at the store but I have bought online for my mom. She loves them so much she now purchases them online from this place. She says it really isn't more expensive if you buy enough than buying in the supermarket… and the spices are so much better/fresher:

http://www.thespicehouse.com/  

The Mexican Vanilla and Saigon Cinnamon are to die for.

Mexican VanillaSaigon Cinnamon

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Dinner tonight...

Italian marinated pork tenderloin (from the freezer), wild mushroom risotto and green beans...

First impression... Not my best work!

The pork tenderloin I think had been frozen too long and just wasn't it's best.  The wild mushroon risotto was REALLY tasty BUT, WOW it just really was a lot of work.  I think I will go back to the asparagus one I made before.  The green beans were just fine...

So, overall, I think tonight was definitely a "Miss".....

• jan508
    jan508 Member Posts: 724
    Options

Boring dinner tonight...pork chops on grill, rice and beans. Salad and of course a nice glass of wine!

I'll be making my homemade spaghetti sauce this week. I'll post recipe..very easy...

Jan

• SeasideMemories
    Options

carolehalston,

Love red beans and rice....

I  took a peak at that penne with brussel sprouts recipe!! Oh my goodness that looks good!  In fact, thanks for the reminder of the good food shows on PBS! Mary Anne's ciaoitalia.com being one of them!  Took a quick look around and have already found several "to try" recipes!! Have bookmarked her site!

Back before there was a food network (or anything other than a few channels, one being PBS) I  can remember watching, as a newly-wed cooking shows like... "The Frugal Gourmet'... 

It was my very first introduction into cooking anything more complicated than box mac and cheese..lol

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Jan,

I've joined you in a glass of wine!  Look forward to your homemade spaghetti sauce....

Speaking of which... The ladies who have made the spaghetti squash... Is the sauce that you are using just your regular spaghetti sauce or are you using something different?

• lago
    Options

I use regular spaghetti sauce with lot of onions. I also add tons of mushrooms and a little broccoli when I serve it. I may have to make this tomorrow since husband won't be home till late.

• apple
    apple Member Posts: 1,466
    Options

corned beef hash.. (i feed guys).. my meat and potatoes for the week.

• SeasideMemories
    Options

apple,

I DO love corned beef and corned beef hash is comfort food at it's best!  Hope you enjoyed it!

• o2bhealthy
    Options

I had left over spaghetti tonight, I use a home made sauce on spaghetti squash. 

The sauce is basically sauteed onions, garlic, celery, diced peppers (any color although I like red, yellow or orange the best) fresh diced roma tomoto's, julienned carrots and zucchini, one can of organic diced tomato's and one can of organic tomato sauce, italian seasoning, little salt & pepper.  bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer.  garnish with fresh italian parsley and Parmesan.  Yummy!

• Traci-----TripNeg
    Traci-----TripNeg Member Posts: 567
    Options

Hi girls! I'm starving after reading through this thread! Smile

I made an impromptu dinner the other night that turned out to be yummy delicious, so thought I'd share when I saw this thread in the active topics!

Melt some light butter in a large skillet. Throw in skinless, boneless bite size pieces of chicken breast and sprinkle with Mrs Dash or other seasoning of your choice. After searing the chicken, toss in bite size pieces of fresh asparagus, stir and toss for a few minutes, then throw in some fresh mushrooms, stir and toss for a couple of minutes, and then a jar of light alfredo sauce. I served over spinach linguini. Yummy!!

Smile

• Laurie08
    Laurie08 Member Posts: 2,047
    Options

Traci- that sounds pretty good, I love asparagus.

A friend of mine just gave me a sesame chicken recipe that I plan on trying at the end of the week.  If it's any good I 'll pass it along.

Tonight I have a very non creative dinner to cook.  Pork chops- shake n bake style, with rice pilaf and corn, apple sauce on the side of course;)  This is my three year old favorite dinner so he is very excited.

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Dinner tonight is a blend of a couple of Greek dishes... Chicken Souvlaki Gyro Style from allrecipes.com.... 

Chicken Souvlaki Gyro Style Recipe

Basically it's marinated chicken breast served with romaine lettuce, tomato, onion and feta cheese on a warm pita with a cucumber and dill yogurt sauce.  The recipe calls for pepperocini but, I have never seen those use in any Greek food I have had so I leave them out!

Last night's dinner was kind of a flop so am looking forward to this tonight!