Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Options

Comments

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    Options

Oh, yeah, my younger brother and I are the only people north of the Ohio River that like grits :)  totally grosses out his wife and kids for some reason!  Mom was from SC and I've been to Charleston a bunch -- beautiful city.  And yes, cornbread dressing with the turkey -- again, my younger brother and I are the only ones that like it.  We hadn't had it for years (mom couldn't cook much for several years before she died) so I finally made some just for him and I this past year.  It was yummy!

• Laurie08
    Laurie08 Member Posts: 2,047
    Options

I have no idea whats for dinner tonight.  My husband has to work late so it's just me and the kids...wish my oldest liked tomato sauce since now I want english muffin pizzas :)

I must be a true New Englander- I have never had grits or made corn bread.  Do they eat corned beef hash in the south?

• NatureGrrl
    Options

My mom ate corned beef hash but it's one thing she could never sell to anyone else in the family :)  Would your oldest eat a "white" English muffin pizza - cheese and other goodies but no tomato sauce?

• SeasideMemories
    SeasideMemories Member Posts: 2,462
    Options

It's going to be a leftover night here!

DH is still out of town on business and my son is over at his girlfriend's house....

NatureGrrl had a great idea to leave off the sauce.  My teen son is not a red-sauce fan either!

When you order white pizza where I live, in place of the red sauce, they use a light brushing of a garlic and oregano infused olive oil on the crust before putting the toppings and cheese on.... It makes it almost like a garlic bread pizza.... It's one of my favorites... 

• tougherthanithought
    Options

Yes I was going to suggest the "white" English muffin pizza too! Give it a try Laurie!

My husband is home from his business trip so I'm making breaded chicken, cous cous and grape tomato and avocado salad. It's almost all done and I'm starving!

Sherrill

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    Options

Laurie08 I'm like you never had grits (Originally from MA). Living here in IL I have had corn bread. I did make it once but it was the trader joe's mix. Does that count? Tongue out It's actually pretty good.

We're eating the sweet & sour cabbage soup tonight. Hmmm wish I did have some cornbread mix but I try to stay away from premixed and processed food as much as possible. It does help keep the weight off too.

Lago's Cabbage Soup

• Laurie08
    Options

Well, I went with ultra lazy...the kiddos are eating hot dogs and splitting a grilled cheese.  My oldest is always sad when Daddy works late but loves that he gets to watch cartoons and pick his dinner.  I am thinking of having a turkey sandwich after they go to bed so I can try to actually taste it and not just eat as fast as I can.  After two days alone in the house with two young kids I am ready for bed time!!  Theirs, not mine, lol!!

TougherthanIthought- I have a fantastic summer recipe of grilled chicken topped with avocado, tomato cucumber salsa.  Very healthy and sooooooo good, I think we ate it once a week at least for 3 months straight.  For your salad do you just chop up the tomato and avocado or is there a light dressing that goes with it?

• lago
    Options

BTW Laurie08 is it tomato sauce or just tomatoes? I love making a pizza with sliced tomatoes instead of sauce.

And just about everything tastes good with avacado! 

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Loving all of the dinner ideas... Thanks to all who posted their recipes!  I've made copies and can't wait to try them....

Laurie, I don't think I have ever made anything using madiera wine.  What is it like? Anything like marsala or sherry?

LuvRVing,

Dreamfields... YES, I have seen it in the stores!  I will give it a try next time I have pasta.  Do you know if they make a spaghetti or is it just elbows or other short pastas?

O2B,

How'd that squash with wild rice come out?  I just tried a really good recipe (well I thought it was good anyway) for a wild rice salad.

thefuzzylemon and Jane_UK.... Why IS it that meals made by others ALWAYS taste so DARN GOOD???

thePuppetLady and NatureGrrl,

Sausage Lasagna and Manicotti WITH homemade pasta... OH MY!!!!

• Arayasunshine69
    Arayasunshine69 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Oh, I Love, love, love this thread!  What a fun, great idea...I'm always stuck for dinner ideas!  Which is why tonight, I'm having slow cooked roast from M&Ms, with potatoes and carrots.  It taste good, super easy to prepare, the roast just pulls apart, and the sauce is really yummy.  Probably not the healthiest meal, but it's quick and convenient tonight. 

Cheers!

• catbill
    catbill Member Posts: 102
    Options

Hi everyone.

No, I didn't cook the Quinoa before I made the peppers.  I cook my stuffed peppers in my crock pot with just a little water in the bottom of the pot and the steam cooks the Quinoa.  Quinoa does tend to pick of the flavors of what with it.  I do cook it for breakfast too, with slivered almonds and fruits (usually berries and/or raisins). 

• LuvRVing
    LuvRVing Member Posts: 2,409
    Options

Seaside - I've never seen a Dreamfields Pasta Sauce.  I often make my own so I really haven't looked.  There is natural sugar in tomatoes; and in the packaged sauces, you have to watch for added sugar.  Some of them have up to 15 grams per serving,while others have half that much.   Making my own gives me the control, and it really doesn't take that long.  Even a "quickie" sauce can be better than the bottled stuff.

Catbill - interesting approach cooking the peppers in the crock pot.  Do they get really soft?  I like a little texture left in my pepper.   

Michelle

• tougherthanithought
    Options

Laurie I usually cut grape tomatoes in half, cube the avocado and just squeeze a lime over it w/ a drizzle of olive oil, a shake of cumin and a drop or 2 of tobasco. If I have a shallot I'll add that but you really don't need it. It's sort of a salad, sort of a side dish! So good'

Sherrill

• Laurie08
    Options

Seaside- Yes using Madeira wine is like a Marsala.  I find it to be milder, or maybe just different?  I used to do Marsala all the time but once I found this recipe I seem to cook it more often than the Marsala.  It's homemade but i cheat and use campbell's soup ;)

1 bunch scallions, 1 large portabello, 1/2 onion, about 6 button mushrooms, 2-3 chicken breasts pounded thin and cut into chucks ( each breast into thirds) 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 can golden mushroom soup 1/2 cup Madeira wine.

saute chicken in oil/butter (I do both) once it's browned add your chopped veggies, cook for about 3 minutes- not all the way through, add the cans of soup and wine and bring to a simmer.  Pour into a Pyrex  dish and cover and cook for 45 minutes.  I serve it with pasta and tomato sauce. 

Both my husband and small kids love this, I tend to make it and double the recipe when we have company too and everyone always has seconds and is impressed- if only they knew I owed it to Campbell's soup!  But, I'm not telling:D

• LuvRVing
    LuvRVing Member Posts: 2,409
    Options

Sorry I misunderstood the question earlier about Dreamfields.  It comes in spaghetti, elbows, penne and lasagna noodles.  You can also order it from Amazon if you have trouble finding it in your local stores.

Michelle

• lago
    Options

I updated yesterdays post to include a picture of my cabbage soup. It was good. Froze 2/3 of it too for later.

• SeasideMemories
    Options

OH Lago!!

I think I just drooled a bit....lol

That soup looks sooooo good!

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Laurie,

That chicken dish sounds delicious!  It does sound quite a bit like chicken marsala.  I will need to look for Madeira wine next time I'm at the liquor store. 

PS... Your secret  is safe with me!

• Laurie08
    Options

trying to get myself motivated for dinner tonight.  It's been another very busy day with working, cleaning, kids and I made two quiches!  I am planning on making eggplant parm for dinner.  I need to catch a second wind!

• SeasideMemories
    Options

DH has been out of town all week and is due home tonight.  He just called to say he's stuck in traffic approaching the Holland Tunnel and expects it will be awhile since he still has a 3 hour drive after he gets to Jersey.

Said not to bother making anything tonight.  SO looks like what's for dinner may be a turkey sandwich and some leftover soup... 

Unless you want to send some of your eggplant parm this way, Laurie Tongue out

• lago
    Options

I just posted this in the physical aging appearance thread because there was all this talk about coconut oil. Just felt you gals would be interested as well so I'm double posting:

coconut rice

---------------------
      Coconut Rice
    ---------------------

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cooking Time: 30 minutes
    Yield: Six ½-cup servings

Ingredients:
    1 tablespoon coconut oil
    1 cup jasmine rice
    1 ½ cups Silk Pure Coconut Original coconutmilk
    ½ teaspoon salt
    toasted coconut flakes, to serve
    Coconut Rice

Preparation
    Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add rice and cook for 2 minutes. Add coconut milk and salt and bring to a boil. Stir, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork, garnish with toasted coconut and serve.
    Nutrition Information:

Calories 104; Fat 7g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 304mg; Carbohydrates 10g; Fiber 1g; Sugars 2g; Protein 1g; Vitamin A 3% DV; Calcium 12% DV; Iron 2% DV.

--------------------------------------
    source: http://silkpurecoconut.com/

• Laurie08
    Options

Lago- It looks good, but I'm not a fan of coconut :(

So tonight we had our eggplant parm, one of mine and my husbands favorites.  I fixed my oldest dinner with no sauce as usual and half way through dinner he asks why he has no sauce.  I tell him because he doesn't like it.  He says "yes I do!"  ok- I added sauce to his and he ate the whole damn thing.  Kids!!  If you think you have them figured out guess again! 

I think he really has learned how to read my posts here and had to proove me wrong :)

• Laurie08
    Options

Oh and Seaside, I had a turkey sandwich last night too, I will say I thoroughly enjoyed it, had it on a whole wheat bagel with chips and a pickle while I watched Idol.  Sometimes it's nice to not cook dinner!  I hope you enjoyed yours tonight too.

• yramal
    yramal Member Posts: 90
    Options

Whenever anyone asks me what my favorite meal is, I say, "Anything I don't have to cook myself!" So whenever my husband cooks dinner, whatever it is, he always asks me if he just cooked my favorite meal. I always reply, "Of course!"

Tonight, we are going out for Indian food to celebrate my daughter's 25th birthday.

Mary 

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    Options

Seaside - the dish turned out really yummy I wish I could follow a recipe but it is a weakness of mine to tweek every recipe I try. Now I just need to learn to write down how I changed the recipe... 

I cooked & prepped up a storm today for Super bowl Sunday and the rest of the weeks lunch/dinners:

Mango/pineapple salsa

Stuffed Turkey burgers

Ground Turkey meatloaf

Double batch of homemade spaghetti sauce loaded with veggies

Pozole soup (spicy mexican soup with hominy/pork/chili's served with a side of fresh shredded cabbage, diced onions, cilantro and fresh squeezed lime)

Four bean, kale & veggie soup

I am so tired and now I am trying to decide,  soup or spaghetti?

• NatureGrrl
    Options

o2b, yummy!  Everything sounds great -- especially the mango salsa -- would you share?

I had leftover split pea soup last night and a big ol', garlicy-lemony Ceasar salad tonight, yum!

(can you tell I enjoy food?) :)

• SeasideMemories
    Options

Lol Laurie.... I do remember those days where my kids loved or hated something until they, well, didn't!  It all makes perfect sense to them and it is all quite puzzling to us!!  And, yes you are right... Just when you have it all figured out... you don't!

I really did enjoy having a few nights where I had to fend for just me...  The night that I had my turkey sandwich I found a small can of cranberry sauce and mixed it with some mayo and used that as the dressing for my sandwich along with some romaine lettuce.  Surprisingly GOOD!! 

YramAL,

I DO agree, most times,  food made by someone else tastes soooo good!  How wonderful that your husband does some of the cooking!!  I love Indian food!  Hope you enjoyed your dinner!

• SeasideMemories
    Options

O2B,

That ALL sounds delicious!! No WONDER you are so tired though... That's a LOT of cooking!  When my kids were young and I was working I used to do all of my cooking on the weekends so that all I had to do was 'heat and eat' during the week.  It was hard work during the weekend but, paid off big time during the week!

Hope you chose whatever was would be the least tiring for you!!

NatureGrrl,

Love Ceasar Salad!!! Had one for lunch today!

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    Options

Had baked chicken parmesan, angel hair pasta and salad.

One of the best turkey sandwiches is a good whole wheat bread, spread with softened cream cheese, pile on some thinly sliced turkey, top with jellied cranberry sauce and alfalfa sprouts.

O2B, you amaze me with your stamina!!!

• Laurie08
    Options

We had a busy a day today and went to a friends for a winter party.  It was fun and nuts- about 100 kids+adults in and out for the afternoon sledding, skating and eating.  So tonight- no dinner.  But I am having a glass of wine, does that count?

O2B- Stuffed turkey burgers?  Please share!

Naturegirl- your lemony Caesar salad almost has me going to the fridge to look for food, it sounds just about perfect right now.

Seaside-It is the simple things sometimes that really hit the spot,  Glad you enjoyed your turkey sandwich too :)