OMG They Found the Cure for Stupid

Comments

• veggy
    veggy Member Posts: 4,150

• veggy

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858

OMG.are we goin down memory lane? Yeah I had a dipper pail in the bathroom...and hm 4 kids had bunk beds...and my X bought me a scrub board when the wringer washer drop dead.i remember scrubbing towels on that stupid thing.

Today these kids have no clue.my mom said that to me cause she used to boil my brother and my dippers. And lets not forget makin formula...an polishing the kids shoes.everynite the lineup of shoes on the window sil.

My GD asked me what's shoe polish? Ha

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646

They have no idea........each night after dinner in the warm weather my kids would all be washed from that day's "play dirt", have all clean clothes put on which for girls were very full cotton dresses, starched and ironed, and their freshly polished shoes which since they were little were white........

Anytime you went on vacation (Jersey Shore).......it was the same.....all new clothes, and you literally emptied your cabinets, and linen closet cause "God forbid you would use someone else's stuff....lol

Fun was Red Rover, Kitty in the Corner, jumping rope, Freeze Tag, and riding your bike (usually a 2nd hand one), unless your parents were rich enough to buy you a new one.....

Everyone was home for dinner, and you ate what was served.......too bad if you didn't like it.....that was dinner......and you never moved from the table without first asking to be excused.

On a trip if you were lucky enough to have a car, you crammed all the kids, and yourself in it, and no one had a seatbelt to put on, cause they didn't exist......you rode windows open, and a nice hairdo was out of the question because the wind coming in all the open windows turned your fancy "do" into a wind blown mess....

So let all the the "entitled generation" of today, bellyache because their "cell call won't go thru", or they don't have the latest I phone 5 , or their computer is running slow, or they have to cook a real meal a couple nights a week..........while we did 7 out of 7 and never bitched.........fast food was out because we could not afford it......that was a once in a couple months treat, and no one got more then a cheeseburger and a small soda........and knew better then to ask for fries......lol

It wasn't always easy, but we did what we had to do.....Amen

• marywh
    marywh Member Posts: 1,433

I remember wrapping my veggies up in paper napkins and throwing them behind the old steam radiators in the farmhouse I grew up in, and refusing to go down in the basement because it had dirt floors and looked sooo haunted.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,921

My great grandmother lived in town and had a basement with cement (I think), but it looked equally haunted and dangerous. The real danger was probably the stairs.

• veggy

My grandmothers basement was all dirt. It was dark and damp. I haven't thought about that in a long time.

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600

On the farm we had what we called a cellar or sometimes root cellar, just a big dirt hole under the house.  If it was cement it was a storm celler and if it had a cement floor it was a basement.

• marywh

Part of this basement was dirt and part had a cement floor and it was huge! and so scary, even my mom hated going down there.History of the house had it that part of the basement was used for the underground railroad. It was such a cool house to grow up in.

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

OMG Memory lane-It's fun to travel sometimes-in my mind alot cuz it was fun to me. I know we lived in Chicago but close to Downtown cuz we'd walk downtown to Marshall Fields and walk around--well I was in a buggy (remember those)til I was 5 hahhaha--I remember the wringer washer that I was not allowed near it--I remember curtains being washed all the time stretched out on some kind of contraption that was put in the dining room when needed. We lived on the 2nd floor so it was called a flat??? and downstairs someone in the family was always living their. We were 4 kids in a 3 bedroom flat, the bedroom were the size of closets tho--we were considered well off those day cuz my parents owned the bldg and the bldg in back that ??? lived in--they rented that out. And the whole family (everyone) lived within a 2 block radius. My dad had a job as an electrician at Hotpoint--so those day he was a professional. But we moved t the suburs (wow) so far away from Chgo--25 miles so everyone had to move within a 3 block radius and it was so different--u could play outside without getting dirty in 5 minutes and we had grass and loads of trees, fruit trees--Whe we lived in Chgo no one spoke english only Italian, now no one spoke Italian and everyone spoke english--It was a culture shock hahaha--we could cuz my Dad wouldn't allow us to speak Italian in the house cuz we were living in America so u spoke english--so there was no language problem. People just lived differently--no more wringer washer , but still no dryer, a brand new real refridgerator-- no icea boxa--and a new style stove with 2 ovens--wow---well my dad would get great deals, somthing scratched or dented somewhere. And he stayed at Hotpoint for over 45 yrs cuz the company treated their employess well with good benefits and didn't fire u easily as long as u did u'r work the right way. So they always felt balanced and I think that's why our childhood was so happy and fun. My grandma got so mad at my mom (my dad's mom) cuz when I started full time school my mom (and her sister) got part time jobs which most women didn't do those days and they worked for 30 yrs. My 2 brothers were the first in our family to actually go to college and on after college so that was rare for our family those days. My parents just believed they'd have a better life than working with their hands he would say like he had to and everyone listened to their parents then. I admit I had it easy actually--OMG I got carried away like I do--Sorry--but it was so fun

• marywh

I remember Marshall Fields at Christmas time. My dad would take us downtown on the train,we would go to his office where I would pretend I was his secretary and then he would take us to see the christmas tree. He always wore a suit, overcoat and hat to work. He would have been 90 this month. I sure do miss him.

• Qbertanne
    Qbertanne Member Posts: 1

I think my all time favorite "stupid" person comment while going thru treatment.   Was "Oh my you have lost a lot of weight.  You look good"   I just smiled and walked away.  Then my chemo brain finally kicked in and said now wait a minute,  Is she blind, I have no hair, no eyebrows, no eyelashes and my color on a good day is between green and grey, is the woman blind?  I am now 7 years post treatment and I still some days think "what was she thinking".    

• camillegal

Qbertane--hahahaha well sometimes people think that's the nicest thing u can say when u see a woman and u automatically go in shock. hahaha

Marywh---we did the same thing and then have lunch there and I remember thinking all these people because of Christmas--maybe that's when I started loving Christmas.

• duckyb1

Ober.....there just is no cure for stupid.....what an ass.....right now you 7 years past your treatment, and hopefully have hair, eyebrows, eyelashes, and your color radient, but the good part.......7 YEARS LATER SHE IS PROBABLY STILL STUPID..........now doesn't that make you feel warm and fuzzy all over.....lol

• marywh

Had somebody tell me how good I looked yesterday...much better than the last time they saw me, Dear God, I really must have looked like chit!!!! After 5 years of chemo, no hair, 30 pounds heavier, and you tell me I look better? Puleeeze....

• veggy

Why are we so hard on ourselves? I am the same way. How can I look good bald?????

• FireKracker

Got a short spiky haircut....my beautiful curls went south...after all my crap my hair went into shock...straight hair now...oh well next comes the purple streak.

veggy I'm planning on comin sometime in July...you should have hair and I will have teeth.time to celebrate....big time..

• veggy

Right now I have white fuzz on my head.

• duckyb1

Veggy......you probably look adorable with white fuzz.........hugs

• marywh

I wish I had any color fuzz on my head!

• camillegal

Mary u will and like me u'l find things u don't like about it. We are all so strange.

• marywh

When I picked up gs at daycare the other day, I had a little boy tell me I couldnt be a grammy, I had to be a paw-paw cause I didnt have any hair...Made me laugh, what do you say to a 2 year old?

• duckyb1

How bout..."come over here so I can slap you"..lol.......kidding really......hysterical......"out of the mouths of babes"

• veggy

I was bald for eight months. It feels good to feel the fuzz.

• marywh

I was really thinking of telling him well, nobody likes you, anyway.na-na-na-na-naTongue Out

• duckyb1

Mary......LMAO......

• camillegal

Mary LMAO too we all are a litte impish even with kids--I know they're cute but.....

• FireKracker

Kids dont even stop and think....shite comes right out of their mouth...

• veggy

Older kids I would say... This is what happens when you don't eat your vegetables.

• camillegal

Veggy is that why??? LOL==well I do know kids say anything but as u get older u start doing the same thing but it doesn't come across as cute.