Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Older People with Sense

Comments

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

i remember drain pain sooo well. hope they come out soon for you.. thats' something i'll need to address later. they both healed Keiloid, and will have to be "shaved" so, they're STILL kind a  pain...3jays

• LynMichel
    LynMichel Member Posts: 87

Tomorrow is my 'D' day or 'B' day.  I'm not so worried about the surgery.  As I'm worried that the cancer has spread by waiting so long for the plastic surgeon.  I was diagnosed July 1st with an ultrasound biospy.  I had blood work and a MRI the end of July and there were no signs of it spreading in  the breast lymph vascular system and lymph nodes.   I was clinically diagnosed IIB.  I hope that didn't change by waiting so long.

• Elisimo
    Elisimo Member Posts: 1,262

LynMichel- just take it one things or day at a time and remember you are in all our thoughts and prayers.

• QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150

LynMichel, will be thinking of you tomorrow.  Please let us know how things went when you feel up to it.

Kathy

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929

LynMichel, best of luck with your surgery. I hope you recovery is smooth.

All the best.

Leah

• 3jaysmom

put us all inyour little pocket, LynMichael. we're be here, waiting till you're up to posting.. thinking of you as you have the surgery... they waited for a zillion tests for me, and it was all right. hope all ia well with you, tommmorrow......3jays

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600

My heart and my thoughts will be with you LynMichael.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Good luck LynMichel hope your healing will be fast and without any complications.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Chrissy, Stopping by to say you have a good group here and you really do have "More Sense."

Also...                                                 Congrats on

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646

Yea.......................................100 pages

• dragonflymary
    dragonflymary Member Posts: 325

Lyn Michel,

Thinking about you--if your surgery was yesterday this is day 1.  Hope you're doing well and they are taking good care of you.  Let your family spoil you from here on out and remember you're worth it.

Dragon

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352

Lyn Michel.

Thinking about you...did all go well ? Let us know when you can. Take care of yourself, and lean on the family.

Isabella.

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195

Lyn,

thinking of you. you will have more details about your diagnosis after your surgery. i know it sounds like it might be tougher, but it will actually become easier because you'll have a better handle on what you're dealing with, and the direction for your treatment. 

:::hugs::: drop us a note when you can.

• marthah

I have a question for those of you who are a ways out PFC.

I'm almost 3 weeks out, and I'm still feeling pretty fatigued/puny. My last blood work indicated I was mildly anemic. I'm 50, and while I'm not athletic, I'm not in horrible shape either. 

How long did it take you to start feeling like your pre-chemo self? My legs still feel like I have lead in them, and sometimes I get a wind, but it doesn't last very long...a few hours at the most.

Thanks, ladies...hope you all are having a great and peaceful evening!

• momoftwo526
    momoftwo526 Member Posts: 105

My drain is out, my drain is out! Yeah!  It was in for 9.5 weeks and the PS said it was at the point where it might be doing more harm than good.  The output had gone down to 35cc's for a couple of days and then back up to between 50 and 60.  The color had changed from clear yellow to bright red, kind of like it was right after surgery.  The drain was oozing around where it came out of the skin so I had to keep it covered with gauze and the tape was very hard on my skin.  We will watch it for seroma and/or infection, but it is out!  Yeah! 

Barb, first day after the drain removal, I had a lot of pain, but it was more muscular.  It is better today and it wasn't as bad as the pain was while it was still in. And I am much more comfortable in bed -- I can lay on my side.  Oh, and I can wear more normal clothes!  No pockets, no pins!

Lyn: Thinking of you. Hope your surgery went well. Hope we hear from you soon.

Martha:  I didn't have chemo, but I am back to work full time and I hit a wall at about 2pm.  My bloodwork showed mild anemia as well.  That probably has something to do with it.

Chrissy, are you still on the road?  Having fun??

Good night!

Phyllis

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369

Lyn - I hope all went well with your surgery. Lay low and let others take care of you. Listen to your body and don't try to do too much, too soon.

Phyllis - HALLELUJAH!!!  I don't know how you stood it for so long. You should get some kind of award for living with that thing for 9 1/2 weeks. I was ready to snip the sutures and pull mine out myself after 2 week. I don't know how you managed to work full time with it in. I'm 6 weeks out from my PMX and am also hitting a wall at work at about 1 in the afternoon. I've really had to learn to pace myself. 

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    marthah 3 weeks out is just the span between chemos before.  One day when I noticed that cheesy TV shows were boring, it occured to me that I was feeling much better but I can't remember how long that was. Certainly, it was more than 3 weeks. You will feel better and better each day for a few months. I finished chemo in late August (2 years ago) and went on a trip to Scotland early that February. By then I was able to walk and tour and enjoy the trip. So somewhere within 6 months things were pretty good.  Give yourself time. You need it and you deserve it.
  • Elisimo

Phyllis - GREAT NEWS!  So glad the drain is finally out!  I had two in for 3 weeks and almost went crazy. I know you are doing a happy dance and I am joining you!  

I am still getting really tired on occassion.  I don't know if it is from the BMX a year ago, the radiation treatments that ended 6 months ago or the current Femara and Aredia (Zometa) treatments. I am always on the borderline of needing a transfusion and they still have not found out why I am anemic all the time.  No transfusion yet, but that remains a possibility every time they do any blood work.

• 3jaysmom
    wish that i was that skinny, and still had my hair.. but thats' a facimile of me doin the happy dance for you, Phyllis......3jays
  • marthah

Phyllis (that was my sister's name, btw!),

So glad your drain is out. I was fortunate in that I only had a lumpectomy, so I never had a drain. But from what I've read on the boards, they can be very painful and a pain in the ass, so I'm glad you've reached this milestone! Yay!

• LynMichel
    LynMichel Member Posts: 87

Hi everyone.  I came home Tuesday.  As much as I am a computer junky I was a little bit too tired to type anything Tuesday or Wednesday.

Everything went well with my surgery.  I don't know the size of my tumor, but I do know there was no lymph node involvement.  My BS told me they're doing the Oncotype test for re-occurrence.  Next week is my post-op appointments with the BS and PS.  I really love my 'grenade' drains, not!

Thank you for all your well wishes and support.  It helps talking to others that made the same journey and that I am not alone.

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646

Lynmichel...........................welcome...........you have a home here................you are not alone, and we will all make this journey with you.........................we're in the battle of our lives........................glad your doing ok,

I hated the drain too................

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600

LynMichel,

Drains are awful no matter where.  Didn't have one with BC but did have one in side to drain abdominal cavity when my pancreas sprang a leak sending digestive enzymes into the cavity.  Five very painful weeks.  I would think the BC drain would be more vulnerable to painful bumps and pressures than mine was but I do have some idea of what you go through and send my sympathy.

• QCA

Yay Phyllis!  I'm so happy the last drain is out!

It's good to see you back so soon, LynMichel, and great news about no lymph node involvement. You keep on taking it easy, girl, and I hope your recovery continues to be smooth.

Martha, I hope you'll feel better soon.  I didn't have chemo because of a low score on the oncotype test so don't know how long it takes, but I hope you'll see some improvement soon.

AmyJo, good to see you and I hope you're doing well.,  Are y'all home from the trip yet?  

I go back to the oncologist tomorrow morning and will give him my decision about going on reclast, which is no, not now.  More and more bad complications seem to be showing up with this drug all the time, and I'm just not comfortable with having the infusions.  Blood work first, so I've been drinking V8 all day in hopes that my potassium level will be acceptable.  

Hope all are doing well tonight.

Kathy

• Elisimo

Kathy, Kiwis are great at giving you need potassium!  They have more than bananas or V8 juice.

Hope your test come out good tomorrow. 

• QCA

Thanks for the tip, AmyJo.  I'll pick up some kiwis tomorrow!  I'd have never thought of that and I'll be glad to stop floating in V-8!

Kathy

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

Hey you lot this is a kiwi

This is a kiwifruit 

So  I always do a double take when you talk about kiwis - the fruit. Also we refer to ourselves as Kiwis. So Kathy what sort of Kiwis are you going to pick up??? How about these two?

DH has just reminded me that our dollar is also the Kiwi.

• momoftwo526
    momoftwo526 Member Posts: 105

3jays: Happy dancing right with ya, girl!  Thanks!

Lyn: Glad to see you back and that your surgery went well and congrats that there was no node involvement (same for me!).  I think the oncotype score tells them whether or not chemo will do you any good.  The lower the score the better.  Hope your drains come out quickly! When my last one was pulled, the stitch that was holding it in place had actually ripped my skin about a quarter of an inch by the time I got it out.  Guess it was from the weight of the fluid and how many time I bumped it or accidentally pulled on it.  It feels so good to have it out!

Phyllis

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Aly, I'll take those Kiwis any day!

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184

I want the one on the right Barb