Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Older People with Sense

Comments

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929

A good Veterans Day to all! My father is a WWII vet - he fought in Okinawa. He never liked to talk about it.

When I was a kid, Veterans Day was a school holiday. I remember thinking it was unfair that I got a day off of school but my father had to work!

Isabella, just know that we are holding your hand while you say goodbye to your friend (and our pets are our friends). I hope the new dog helps ease the pain.

Leah

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I thank soldiers when I see them all year round, but kind of feel guilty on Remembrance Day here in Canada. If we won, that means someone else lost. What are those people feeling today?

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184

Chrissy, anyone can copy my pix...glad to help

• dragonflymary
    dragonflymary Member Posts: 325

Lisa, your photos are awesome!  This latest one especially!  Going to make some muffins with raspberries today--maybe buttermilk raspberry?  Trying to make sat/fat free so yoghurt may be the answer.  

Alyson, so sorry you fell and hope you're dong okay.  It's a big fear for many of us, I guess.  My Dad fell in the hospital and was never able to walk after that.  It was so sad.  

Well, after that bit of cheery news I'd better wish everyone a good day!  It's amazing how much angst the holidays bring up in families.  Hope all of it will be at least somewhat resolved by the good food.  My DD1 is feeling better about not having the dinner at her house as she's going to cook Christmas.  I asked her to bring the pumpkin pie so she now feels very useful!

Warm cider and hugs to all,

Dragon 

• For those of you who know about my friend Cyndi, who I knew from the treatment room at my onco's...she passed away last night.  Her husband called me this morning.  I visited her yesterday morning at hospice before leaving to come to my Dad's and knew it would not be long.  It is just a dirty rotten shame.....she was a sweet good person and it was only in the last few weeks that she no longer gave me that sweet smile of hers when I would go visit.  Even when she was shuffling along because of neuropathy and had arms the size of telephone poles from lymphedema, she would always say, It could be worse. She was my inspiration, the one who made me realize that I have had it easy.  The sad part of this is that it was not cancer that killed her.....she was in remission when she stopped her treatments and stopped because the chemo had left her with so many SEs.....alas, the SEs never left, just got worse and she had congestive heart failure as well as swallowing issues from rads near her esophagus.   I can't get the way she looked yesterday morning out of my head....it just seems so unfair. 

I posted this on my other theads and am putting it on here also.

• socallisa

Chrissy, here is a picture looking the other way at Fort Rosecrans

• grdnslve
    grdnslve Member Posts: 42

marybe--i'm so sorry about your friend -  {{{{HUGS}}}}

• dragonflymary

Marybe, so sorry about the loss of your friend.  It touches all of us.  Hugs to you.

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352

Marybe...so sorry for the loss of Cyndi....you were the best friend she could have had . Hugs.

Isabella.

• LynMichel
    LynMichel Member Posts: 87

Marybe so sorry about the loss of your friend.

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369
    Marybe - so sorry about the loss of your friend. It's so hard to lose anyone, but it seems even more painful when that person is one you've met because of and shared this difficult journey with .
  • barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Marybe my heart goes out to you....so, so sad....

• QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150

Marybe, I'm so sorry about your friend. 

Kathy

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997

Marybe, I am sorry your friend has passed. You were a good friend to her.

Ginger

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Awe Marybe, so sorry to hear that Cindi has passed, condolances.  You were a true friend to her and I'm sure she appreciated each and every visit. 

Lisa, thanks, that photo is stunning!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• lulubee
    lulubee Member Posts: 903

Marybe, you were a blessing to your friend in her final days.  May she rest in peace, and may you find comfort in her release from pain. 

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

Sending big hugs Marybe. It is so hard to lose our friends.

• socallisa

Me too, yesterday I went to the memorial service for a friend of mine, BC survivor but died of congestive heart failure

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

(((((Hugs)))))) Lisa, sorry about your friend.

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195

Marybe, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Cyndi. And it is particularly poignant that you pointed out that her loss is attributed to the SE's rather than the disease itself. There but for the grace of God, go we all.

The longer I deal with this disease and the processes of treatments, the more convinced I become that something needs to change. I'm sure I'm not the first person to come to that realization, but it's a learning process, I suppose...

:::hugs::: Marybe. Thank you for sharing Cyndi's story with us. 

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195
    Lisa, :::hugs::: to you too.
  • socallisa

This butterfly appeared at our BCO chatters get together in Florida

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600

Lisa, are you saying you had a butterfly flutter by?

• socallisa
    you got it chabbaWink
  • QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150

Good one, Chabba!

Lisa, what a beautiful picture.  I too am sorry about your friend.

Kathy

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101

Lisa:  Butterflies are so special and beautiful....they represent hope and renewal.  Sorry to hear about your friend.

• dragonflymary

Yesterday the Christmas spirit hit our quilting group.  Can't believe last year I was still recovering and waiting for exchange surgery.  To all who are now in the middle of treatment--it gets better with time.  Loving the cold weather and the excuse to wear huge Irish sweaters.  Everything is calm at the moment--my husband's cancer, the family and grands.  I can't help thinking this is the calm before the storm, but what storm?  It's probably best that we don't know.

Someone once asked me what my ideal fantasy life would be and I said "The kids are raised, the house is clean and I can sit and knit."  Now I actually have that and I'm wondering how I got so lucky.  (Sorry--it's a "deep thought" kinda day!)  

Dragon 

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

Dragon, I agree about the fantasy life, have got there as well and feel really lucky but feel even more lucky when I cuddle a small girl to me as I am drying her after she decided to 'swim' in a bucket of water in the back yard. Gran had to put some hot in it for her. I really didn't think, almost five years after dx, that I would ever have the privilege of seeing my daughter married and be able to look after my grandchildren.

I tried for a while after dx to be superwoman but decided that there was more to life and I am so pleased I did.

I must get dressed and get on with a day in which I do have to do some work (paid).

Have a great day

Big hugs to all.

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997

Lisa, my 15 month old Granddaughter just smiled and smiled looking at your orange butterfly. Thank you.

• socallisa

Saw this bud this morning,lovely