Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Older People with Sense

Comments

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101

I received my diagnosis today, it's IDC, low grade 1, stage 1.  That's all the doctor knows...further testing is being done to determine the rest.  I will meet with him next week to go over everything and get treatment options, but he mentioned a lumpectomy and radiation.  Did not mention chemo, but I won't do that anyway.

I'm disappointed, but had prepared for the worst, so now I just have to deal with it.  I dread telling the kids, and my boyfriend is in shock because he refused to believe it was anything.  

Thanks again for all the support everyone has given me as I've navigated through this dx.  I don't think I could have stayed as calm as I did without it. 

• DocBabs
    DocBabs Member Posts: 54

ChrissyB, Age wise I do make it for this group, 67 years young. I received my diagnosis in April and went on to have a MBX with recon in May. Final exchange was in August. Since then outwardly I appear cool calm and collected. Inside my guts are churning.Love all the pictures that have been posted. They all have a calming affect on me. I'm trying to live my normal life but deep inside I feel anything but normal.I think i'll stick around for a while.

Kaara, my diagnosis was very similar to you.No ever made for chemo but i'm on Arimidex  now and not sure which is worse!.It is dillicult telling your children but depending on their age,they'll handle it if you can handle it.Strap on your seatbelt, you're in for a ride but hopefully it's a short one.

Barbara 

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195

Kaara,

Sorry to hear of your dx, but at least now you know. The not knowing can be maddening. Stage 1/grade 1 is very good news, though. Keep us posted, and peruse the boards. You'll find lots of useful information and support. 

The two websites I always refer people to for accurate information is cancer.gov (NIH) and cancer.org (American Cancer Society). Reliable, accurate and current information. 

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

Kaara: i got your message, you have one waiting..

I am sorry it wasn't b9; we all pray for it; but it is a very good prognosis, and as you go along, they'll target in on the details.. i personally, went a bit maf, till it all got sorted, then, you set your spine, and go forward... We're all here, right with you... keep us posted............3jays

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

((Marybe)) {{Lisa}} So sorry.

Kaara, you have a great prognosis so hang to that and jump on the treatment wagon. You can do it!

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352

Barb, nice to see you back again ....where you bin ????

Isabella.

• Kaara

Thank you ladies for your comfort and support!  I know I'm just beginning this journey, but already you have made it so much easier to bear!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Kaara, sorry you didn't get the B9 but what you have is better than some........hang in there and know that we are all here to help you along the path of your treatment to good health.

Love n hugs.   Chrissy

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184

Kaara, alot of support and hugs from us..just take it one day at a time...one step at a time..

• Kaara

Thanks ladies!  I'm keeping positive...meet with my Dr. on Monday for add'l info.

• jazz3000
    jazz3000 Member Posts: 109

I have a friend whose been with us 7 years since her lumpectomy and rad treatments and has had no sign of anything since. Though the surgery wasn't comfortable and the rad treatments a bother with the care needed she's doing great. She's been to China and Peru since her surgery and is doing great, So happy they spotted it early and you had the strength and fortitude to follow through. No one that loves us wants to believe we might have something this serious. Sorry to hear you have to share these things with family but they can surprise you with their sensitivities. We're with  you.

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997

Kaara, sorry you didn't get the B9 you would have wished for. Treatments are good and much more targeted than in the past. You'll find some good friends here and share some good times with us.

Hugs and blessings Ginger

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

Thought I would put some of my flowers on here, the garden is looking lovely just now

Hope you all have a happy day.

• Gingerbrew

I love the dark red rose, it is amazing. It reminds me of some velvety artificial roses I saw as a child, many years ago! Itis mysterious I think!

Are you growing any annuals, I loved them in the midwest where we had hot summers. Here in WA it is cooler so the  annuals don't put on their show very well.

Thanks Ginger

• Alyson

Ginger we do grow some annuals but they are better further south but saying that some of mine are doing OK, even my lilac is covered this year - cold winter.

The red rose is divine and the smell, ahh its beautiful.

Would love to find the name of the white rose it has a perfume as well.

• momoftwo526
    momoftwo526 Member Posts: 105

Kaara:

Sorry about your diagnosis, but Stage I, grade I is better news that some of the others have had.  I was a Stage I grade 2.   It may take a little time to digest everything and to sort things out as far as treatment plans, etc.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Phyllis

• marthah
    Alyson, I love your flowers! Especially the little one growing next to the tree on the lower right! Laughing
  • Alyson

Martha, that's my little flower fairy. She has just turned three and is so cute. Our lawn is covered in daisies so we made a daisy-chain and she loves picking the lavender.

• Kaara

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

Alyson:  Flowers are beautiful...I have a garden in NC where we go during the summer. 

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Kaara, the news of cancer is something that NO ONE should ever hear!!! No matter your stage or grade it is horrid news to hear! My heart goes out to you. Don't feel like you have to be positive every day...there are threads where we discuss just how low we can go. It's a big burden you are taking on, don't let anyone belittle your stage or grade - it is hard news to hear. And yes, others have it worse than us, they're dead.

• Gingerbrew

I think those that mentioned Kaara's stage were also in a similar stage. Ah communication on the internet, so difficult.

Barbe you are so right, we can go so low, back into depression, I did. Stopped brushing my teeth depressed.

What threads would you recommend Barbe for a newbe who needs support? Maybe one for the month she will begin Chemo or Rads which ever one or both she will be in?  I found good support in those threads myself.  Of course this is a great thread too!   I love my older peoples hugs.

Love Ginger

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

((HUGS)) for Kaara. We are here for you.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Ginger, the depression thread I am on may be too much for a newbie! I'd do like you suggest and find the ones that coincide with Kaara's treatment. I just hate hearing fellow cancer patients say "oh good! you have a good prognosis" or whatever because NO ONE knows!!!! I have seen more stage 1 gals move on to stage 4 in the 3 years I've been on these boards. Stage 2 and especially 3 get way more aggressive treatments and stage 1 girls are hitting the big #4 a lot more often than the higher stages. I'm so sick of seeing it!!! We've lost a lot of ladies this year that started out at stage one....

• Kaara

Appreciate the support!  The hardest thing I've had to do so far is tell my family...they had varying responses, but got through it ok and were concerned but supportive.  Their Mommy has never been sick a day in her life, so they are having some difficulty processing it!  I'm still the go to person when they have a crisis, even though they are grown with kids of their own.  My GD called me today and we talked for an hour about diet and lifestyle changes.  She is a vegetarian and knows a lot about juicing and eating pure raw foods.  I was amazed at her knowledge, and how mature she sounded.

• momoftwo526
    momoftwo526 Member Posts: 105

Kaara:

Hang in there!  I too had a stage 1 diagnosis. It took a while to digest and it is difficult getting a cancer diagnosis at any stage.  Yes, it is true, we must be ever vigilant to make sure we don't have a recurrence. I do know that I decided on a more aggressive treatment plan than my Dr. recommended at first because of my family history and other factors.  I chose BMX and it was the right decision for me.  My BS supported me wholeheartedly in that decision.  Because I went this route and did not have anything in my lymph nodes, I did not have to have chemo.  You are the only person who can make that decision for you. I had my reasons for my treatment choices and you will have you own.  You have to feel comfortable with what you decide. Get second opinions and take your time to weigh all of your choices and then make the right decision for you.  I talked to medical oncologists, another BS, 2 PSs and my sister, who had breast cancer 20 years ago.  She was stage 1 too and has not had a recurrence in 20 years. I will tell you that I cried for several days when I found out.  It may have been the hardest medical news I had ever heard. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Phyllis

• Teklya
    Teklya Member Posts: 362

Cancer sucks, no question.  Sending you a great big (gentle) hug, Kaara

• Gingerbrew

Barbe I have wondered about those stats myself. Even at 2B with a node and grade 3 I wish I had a bilateral M and the only reason I didn't was because we were moving and the recovery was longer.

I would have been too scared to have no radiation or chemo even with the serious side effects those can have. It feels like a crap shoot sometimes although I know there are statistics to tell us differently.  

Hugs Ginger

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184

Kaara, don't get ahead of yourself, wait until you have all the information until you decide what to do..one step at a time..

• marthah

kaara,

please don't misunderstand what i said earlier. i in no way mean to belittle your dx. please know you are among friends here. i was only hoping to lend you whatever hope i could in a crappy situation. 

:::hugs::: kaara

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    ok, girls...setle down...hahaha we're all friends here... i hear you, ginger.. i keep going back to see my dx.. but i didn't get what grade it was.. otherwise, mine's the same as yours. did you do chemo, as i did? or rads, which i didn't...? ....3jays