Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Older People with Sense

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Chrissy, meant to say that on Facebook you're going to Puerto Rico for a long time and so is Amy Jo. Lisa is going to Australia?? Is this another FB game???

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184

yep

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929

Good news - I'm an old lady! The bone scan shows stable, nothing news. So now will go to an orthopedist to check out the NORMAL NORMAL NORMAL hip pain.

Happy Dance!

Leah

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468

Yay Leah - congratulations on being "just" an old lady!

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101

Good news Leah!

My BS and MO visits were interesting today.  Oncotype score was 13 confirmed.  I told my BS that I was not happy about having to do 6 weeks of radiation for what amounted to a very small low risk bc.  He didn't exactly disagree with me, and when I suggested a clinical trial for a one week internal beam partial breast radiation, he said "go for it", so I did.  When I got home I called the institute, they took all my information, and someone is calling me back.  Even if I don't get accepted, I feel like I've left no stone unturned in the process.

Next was the visit to the MO who said either tamoxifen or one of the other al's, so off to research on that before I decide, but he was indicating that the tamox had fewer SE's than the others, had been around forever, and was well tested.  Still waiting on outcome of liver function tests and circulating tumor blood test, and still have to have my echo cardio done.  I'm thinking it will never end!

Now I'm going to take a nap because I didn't sleep well last night thinking about all of this! 

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Happy dancing for Leah!

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352

Barb  I'll do that dance with you for Leah...what good news.

Kaara...you're right in thinking it will never end, it never does...but, all the rellies and friends just aren't interested anymore....we have to walk this walk alone.

Aaarrgghhh...I have been without electric from 5.15pm when I got in from my Dr appointment , until about 20 minutes ago, 11.00pm ....I have been lost!  Don't realise just how much everything we do is powered by electricity. All the heating went off in the kennels, I could hear a sort of 'cheesed off'  barking, but daren't go down and talk to them or it would have developed into a full scale mad 'barking fest' at me , shouting at me to put their heating back on. It's best to leave them alone at times like this ! All the timers in the hens' sheds will be out now. I have light coming on at certain times of the day to get them to lay more eggs !! The timers will be all out of synch now, and I shall have to grovel to DH to come up and put them right...electronics are NOT my cup of tea !! I try and give the hens as much light thru' their 24hr day as they would get if it were mid summer, and not the short dark days we are getting now. Then they lay eggs as if it were summertime...in theory !! I am looking at having to buy some more hens, and I really didn't want to. I don't like hens at all, they are just not an interesting animal/bird...whatever ...to me, but I just got 2 more fair sized orders from a health food shop, and a health food cafe, and I shall be struggling to fulfill these orders with the number of birds I have at the moment.

Saw Dr about upping the dose of my pain patches this evening, and adding another beta blocker as per cardiologists instructions. I got 'caught' for a health check (these Drs get a certain amount of money for each hundred patients they collar and get all into their little scheme!!) I was feeling the wrong side out so didn't fully co-operate. I let her weigh me and do my BP, but then she wanted urine sample and bloods....I DON'T do bloods unless I am completely drunk or drugged !!!! I have a severe needle phobia and don't give my blood willingly !!! She was rambling on that it was 2006 when I last had a cholesterol test...so what ? they'll do one when I am under anaesthetic for my back op...( I have persuaded neurologist into doing this for me, plus a tetanus jab for good measure. )...so why hassle me 'til then ??

She was also on about doing a blood test for diabetes, I understood this was a simple urine dipstick test, not a full blood test ??? anyone ???    She is a nice new doctor...but so young !!  I would think about 30/32. The GP I had for about 35 years retired last backend, and this is her replacement. I was going to give her 2 or 3 appointments to see how we got on. I like her, and am willing to give her a go, but I don't think she was very pleased with me refusing bloods ! I have been getting calls from the practice nurse, well, 2 calls, to go into the surgery and do 'some bloods' I have told her both times I am not coming in, and she wasn't too pleased with me....don't want to give them reason to send me down the road....there are a whole raft of new regulations just come in, on Jan 1st, about getting patients to be more compliant !! Just puts my back up when I start getting pushed around !! There have also gone up in the waiting area, since I was last there, a notice informing patients that bad language and aggressiveness will NOT be tolerated ....OMG what are we coming to ?  But there are 1 or 2 areas in my practices cachement area where there are some very dubious characters, so HOPE it's aimed at them !! 

Well, it's bedtime now, my heating is up to strength, and the water will be nice and hot again for a shower. The washer, tumble dryer and dishwasher are clanking away, catching me up on jobs that should have been done hours ago. It's 'cleaning day' tomorrow...and I STILL spend ages 'cleaning for the cleaners' I hate that they might see just what I am NOT doing anymore. I spent about 2 hours this morning tidying away, and polishing the odd window...well, the bad ones where the dogs stick their noses watching what's going on in the world ! I still feel it's not on to ask others to clean up doggy messes !

Isabella.

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997

Leah, great news.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Yay Leah!   Happy dance for your good scan results!!!!! That's great!!!!

Isabella, there was a time when I needed to have a cleaner come in to do my house and to begin with I would totter around to get things tidy before she arrived but one day she came early and caught me......lol....and after giving me the 'that's what I'm paid to do' speech, I left her to it and never felt guilt if I left the dishes for her or if there were magazines on the floor etc.  It actually felt good not to be concerned with it.

Kaara, good that you got your docs approval to do that clinical trial........it sure will make things a bit easier for you.  When it comes to the Tamoxifen and the AI's, they all have some SE's and every person reacts differently to them.  For me, Tamoxifen put me in hospital after only three weeks, Arimidex made me so depressed and gave me such bad bone pain I was almost crippled but the Femara has treated me very gently with few to no SE's.  Talk to your MO about his willingness to change your meds if you have a hard time with them as sometimes they can get a little pedantic about staying on the one they have prescibed regardless of SE's.  Good luck with yoyur research!

Amyjo, it's pretty safe to stop anywhere on our roads so I have no problem there.  I make it a habit that if I get tired I do stop regardless of how far I am from home.................sure is so much better than sorry.  Good luck with your blood test today and sure hope that you get a good result saying everything is still working for you.  Sorry you have felt so bad since that last shot.

Barbe, as Lisa said yup!....lol

My lower back is still giving me gyp but I think I have worked out why..........my doc gave me a shot in the behind when I saw him last Thursday and I bled like a stuck pig.  I also think that he may have hit a nerve as it's the first time ever that I even felt it when he gave it!  Usually, I'm still waiting for it and it's already done!  Anyway, I have to see him again on Friday and I will mention it if it's still driving me crazy.

Love n hugs all.  Chrissy

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,927

My doc is able to run all the needed tests on a small amount of blood. The dipstick urine test will say if you have full blown diabetes, but the blood test will tell if you're on the way or fine. Mine came back too high, but normalized when I lost some weight. I was happy to get the warning while there was time to change things.

• chrissyb

Hi Wren, welcome to our little group!  Pull up a chair, grab a cuppa and jump into the conversation anywhere you like! 

Yay for you having normal blood sugars!  Both my mother and older brother are diabetic so I am often being tested for it.....ugh!!!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• Elisimo
    Elisimo Member Posts: 1,262

Leah - doing the Happy Dance with you. Great news.

Kaara - I have been on Femara for 17 months and have had very minimal side effects from it.  I have not been on any other AI so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I have done really well on it.

Chrissy - so glad you keep yourself safe. Sorry to hear about the back pain and I hope it gets better. Tell that doc to take it easy with the shots on my sister.  He does not want to see me upset or irrate with him. Innocent

Wren - welcome to our little group.  This is a great group of ladies that are full of love encouragement and support and lots of information.

• chrissyb

Amyjo, he is usually so gentle I don't even feel him break the skin but I think he was trying to hurry as he was pushed for time and running way behind......so much so that I have to see him again on Friday so we can finish the consult....lol.  I have been seeing him for over twenty years and he really is a dear and the best thing is, he knows me and my tetchy system.............now that is a good thing....lol

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• Elisimo
    Elisimo Member Posts: 1,262

Chrissy - good to hear that he is gentle with you and takes good care of you.  I am still planning on coming to see you as soon as I can, but it ls looking like it will be next year, probably in Feb. 2013.  Hope this year goes by fast so I can see you soon.  I will let you know when I make the plans and hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

• chrissyb

In that case, I hope this year goes fast too!........lol........can't wait to see you again! and sooner rather than later is good......I can handle that!....lol

Love n hugs to you girl!  Chrissy

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

Chrissy, talking about visits. There is a chance that DD will be in Melbourne in July for a conference and will bring GS with her and his Gran as baby sitter so might be able to come on over your way. Will keep you posted on any plans.

Had a enjoyable day with brother and SiL then silly person backed into my car oh dear at least I'm fine but still very angry as she has no insurance.

Scan on shoulder tomorrow to look at rotator cuff injury which is not getting better. 

Had better start making dinner.

• chrissyb

Oooo that would be so exciting Alyson!!!  Maybe if you can't get to Adelaide perhaps I could get to Melbourne...........either way, we get to see each other....Yipeeeee!!!!

Oh dang or words to that effect about the silly person backing into your car but really happy that you are okay.  Gosh I hate it when people don't keep their insurance up..............third party property is as cheap as chips and at least covers the other persons vehicle!

Let us know how the scan goes.......I sure hope it won't mean a rotor cuff repair as that is a real painful op.  Both my brother and younger sister have had it done and I sure don't want to go there!

Tanke care.   Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    hey girls: alyson, that would be great!kiwis' with aussies again!!!im thinking about you for the scsn tommorrow.. rotator cuffs can be little buggers! isabella, glad everything is getting back to normal, and warm!!! figute out someone who can clean up after those rottied, but keep them out!!they'll figutre out how tro keep warm!................3jays
  • 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

Leah: im so happy for your good news!!happy dance in so fla for you, dear one.... thanks for the clarification about the bone scans.. 2 diff drs doing one of each, this month.. the rib pain needs to be shecked out right, w the radioactive stuff.. the end!........3jays

• barbe1958

Alyson, I hope you got a LOT of ID of the young punk!!! You could report her to the police and she'd be in a lot of trouble. How did you arrange payment of the damage on your car???? We have been hit twice by people who just paid outside of insurance rather than have their rates go up. Both were thrilled we didn't insist on going through insurance.

• dragonflymary
    dragonflymary Member Posts: 325

Leah, so glad about your news!

Thinking about everyone and watching the rain decimate my yard.  Coastal winds to 90 miles and hour?  Do we live in Florida?  Comfort food and quilting today.

XOXO to all, Dragon 

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600

My yard is covered with about three inches of snow with drifts to at least six, a lot for the beach.  32 degrees.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Wow, Chabba, that is a lot of snow for western WA. Take a pic! 

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639

Chabba, Know how you feel . We are on the Hood canal and have ten inches of the stuff so far with howling winds. Keep warm and dry.

• chabba

From yesterday

• chabba
  • chabba
  • chabba
  • chrissyb

Chabba, they are amazing pics!  I can't imagine what it would be like to live there! Even though it is freezing I still think it is beautiful!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• barbe1958

This is the time of year when I say `Global warming, my ass!``