Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Older People with Sense

Comments

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    the whole crew (almost) for my 61st...!!
  • hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164

Barbe thinking of you hope everything is okay. Chrissy thanks for the aphids tip, sprayed yesterday and they're all goners today and I got to pick my first roses of the season today, a really pretty orange/yellow rose called Brass Band and my bushes are loaded with buds so I sure wish Lisa live close by so she could document my garden. Trisha Anne I spent many school holidays at Crookwell not too far from you (as the crow flys) used to go potato picking I of course just thought we were having fun but of course in reality the adults were earning second incomes. (((3jays))) hope you get some relief from the fatigue, it really knocks you around.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184

one more tonight

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

Oh my, Lisa, your pictures are so beautiful.

I enjoy them. I look at them closely & can almost feel the softness of the petals & smell their light scent.

Thank you always for sharing them.

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

{{{{gentle hugs, 3jays}}}}

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Hi all, sorry I've been away for a few days but was having a few computer issues. 

My you girls have been busy!  and as usual Lisa, wonderful pics! 

Barbe I do hope everything went well with you. 

Cheryl, glad the tip worked well for you, it's such and easy thing you can use it whenever you need an all plants with out harm. 

3jays, your plumeria is called frangipani here is Aus and comes in some wonderful colors as well  They really do have a most wonderful perfume!

Trish, I do a mean home made tomato soup so I'll pm you a bit later with it .

I had a wonderful night out with DH on Friday night.  We found out from a friend that a folk singer that I like was playing live at a small town venue about 40 mins from my place so he phoned for tickets.  What I didn't realise was that it was dinner and the show.....yahoo!  no cooking for a night.....what a treat!.    We arrived home at about 12.40am but had a fabulous time........the singer was as good as I remembered him....yay!!!!

To all you girls still going through treatment......(((hugs))).  To all you girls just having a down day...(((hugs))).   To all the new girls joining us....(((hugs))) and welcome and to everyone else...(((hugs))) and have a great day all!

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600

chrissy,  glad to see you back, missed you. 

Could you send me the tomato soup recipe too please.  I cook at our senior center every Thursday and our lunches always include a soup.  We have some cooks who make pretty much the same thing every week but I like to do a variety.  None of us have a special tomato soup.

Even though we don't have much of a budget I try to make every one of my meals special.  You can do a  lot with love and creativity.  And often just one special item on the meal will make the whole meal seem special.

Thanks

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

LIsa, the black background really sets that last one off!! I, too, like to "touch" the soft parts and smell the uniqueness of each one....beautiful! How did you do the black, Picaso?

Thanks everyone for your good wishes for my ultrasound, but it's not until April 13th. I am not having it at the hospital as they will insist on a mammogram which I will fight them on and then everyone gets pissy so by the time they realize they can't mammo that area they will have their backs up and do a rush job on the lump and say everything is fine but I don't really believe them. So I'm having it at a clinic and therefore won't get immediate results.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

I love this one:

4 tomatoes - peeled, seeded and diced4 cups tomato juice14 leaves fresh basil1 cup heavy whipping cream1/2 cup buttersalt and pepper to taste
    1. Place tomatoes and juice in a stock pot over medium heat. Simmer for 30 minutes. Puree the tomato mixture along with the basil leaves, and return the puree to the stock pot.
    2. Place the pot over medium heat, and stir in the heavy cream and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Heat, stirring until the butter is melted. Do not boil.
  • barbaraa

3jays, I will call you this afternoon. Have meetings all morning. Beautiful plumeria/frangiapani.

• chrissyb
  • barbe1958

Very nice Chrissy!! Did you use a black sheet or did you edit (Picaso?)

• chrissyb

Edited in Picasa.  That's the easy way.  This is the photo unedited.

• Teklya
    Teklya Member Posts: 362

OMG!!!!! therse roses are phenomenal and I feel so blessed to have them sent right to me!

What talented ladies you are with your creative photography, for all of us to enjoy, thank you. How thoughtful of you,

take good care and have a good one!

Teklya

• barbe1958

Chrissy, do it again and don't change the red scale at all. You lost some detail in the petals. Just do the black and let the rose do the rest of the work.

• 3jaysmom

ok, so, you gals, (especially Chrissy) got me to post oics here, on BCO.. i can't believe 1 1/2 years ago i couldn't turn on a comouter!

now, this wkend i got an offer i couldn't refuse, and bought a camera, that Chrissy says will be great for beg. photography. so, in a few weeks, i'll be asking for all those tips, too.. lovely pictures, now i wants ta do some!!! m    3jays

• socallisa
  • socallisa

some pictures just don't lend themselves to darkening..

• radiant
    radiant Member Posts: 24
    Chrissy:

I had no idea this forum was here, until it popped up in the active threads. Thanks for doing this. Since Day 1, 5.25 years ago, I've never understood why others could not let people make their own decisions re: their own healthcare. It's a completely personal decision and up to the individual.

Glad to see this thread -

Kim, triple +, Stage IV
  • 3jaysmom

kim, welcome .. pull up a chair, and relax.. we're all here to listen to what YOU decided, and encourage you on your path...      3jays

• Elisimo
    Elisimo Member Posts: 1,262

Kim, Welcome to the club, group or whatever you want to call us.  Glad you found us and hope you stay awhile and join in the discussions.  We are big on encouraging and supporting each other in whatever decisions are made.  Amy Jo

• barbaraa

Hi Kim, I second what AJ and 3Jays said. We are all about support. And we love to party!

My iPad2 just arrived. WooHoo!!! Setting it up as soon as it charges up!!!

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108

Barbara, I sent you a private message wiht a question about Ipads. Pam

• Dilly
    Dilly Member Posts: 394

Hi Kim, Welcome!

Lisa and Chrissy, you two are brilliant photographers -- and your roses.... just yummy! Thanks!!!

• QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150

Hi Kim, and welcome!  Glad you found this thread.

What gorgeous roses, girls!  Thanks for posting!

Kathy

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352

amyjo...you asked me about my DDs DH. He doesn't know because she looks him in the eye and lies to him, and he believes her !! I feel so sorry for him, looks like all will be coming out very soon. DD is frantically trying to get her sons to keep quiet...2 of them are threatening 'tell Dad, or we will' they have had enough of her antics....me ?  I'm keeping out !!

Had a very busy day today with my G/daughter, she's like lightening. In the end I had to take her out to keep her entertained...was going stir crazy cooped up with her in the house. As my walking is quite bad today I took her to a shopping centre where I knew there was a shop that had a play area, cost me a toy car, but I gained half an hours peace as she played. I put her the hosepipe on this evening to clean my path, just before she went for her bath, but she ended up spraying the cats, and all their biscuits ! I am wishing her another 3 or 4 years older, then I can get her knitting, or something more ladylike !

What lovely roses and garden plants you are all posting. My roses are just brown sticks poking above the soil, hardly any buds on them at all. Fighting to keep dogs off my garden, they've got a craze for digging holes. Once again it is mainly the Sausage dogs, they live to cause me grief ! If it isn't raining here I always keep the garden door half open now its Spring !! The Sausages take full advantage of this and just will dig on and off all day until the plants all grow and fill the borders. I spend my time squawking at them. With a bit of luck they'll dig deep enough one day to get stuck in the hole they are digging. They tend to dig near any new plants I have put in, and I have been putting in a tray of violas, and a tray of pansies over the w/end.

I have a garden arch that had fallen over this morning when we got up...just TOO MANY climbing plants on it. I keep buying climbing roses and clematis, winding them in, plus hanging bird boxes and bug boxes all over the arch, so no wonder it has come down. What I need now is some strength to put it back up again.

Welcome to our little place, Kim....we have a nice group here for you to chat to.

Bedtime for me, almost 12 midnight. G/daughter is an early riser. I am NOT. She will be up and running just before 7am. I like to stay in bed until 9am, if I can get away with it. I have to get up early when she is here as the alternative is cartoons on my bedside TV  to keep her quiet, and I hate listening to cartoons when I am trying to wake up.

Isabella. 

• dragonflymary
    dragonflymary Member Posts: 325

Kim, welcome to the thread.  We are a very positive group, and we include some great photographers!  Being positive doesn't mean you can't complain--that's normal and no one gets upset.  Hello to all and thanks for the great roses, Lisa.  Gonna buy a new one this weekend if I can.  I love pink so will go that way. 

• radiant
    radiant Member Posts: 24

Hi Ladies:

Wow - what a reception! How sweet. I'll be 50 this July - I was dx at age 44. Prior to bc, I was 44 going on 25 - but, things have changed since dx, as we all know.

My bday this July will be a big celebration for me as I was dx stage 3c from the start & wasn't sure I'd get this far. Things are miraculousily going well for me at this time. I was stable for quite a while on various drugs, and then slightly progressed. Since my body is still quite strong, my onc wanted to hit me hard again - haven't been hit hard for about 4 years. Praise the heavens it's working, so can't complain!

I just found out about lysine, from another board, that they are using in Europe! Here it is - my nutrional onc said I could add this w/my current tx regime. SO - fingers crossed. I'll start this soon as well. Here's the presentation: 

http://www4.dr-rath-foundation.org/THE_FOUNDATION/About_The_Dr_Rath_Health_Foundation/dr_niedzwiecki_speech2001.htm

In the meantime, it's SPRING here in Ca. It's wonderful. Can't wait to feel strong enough to get some hiking in. Has spring arrived in your neck of the woods?

- Kim

• chrissyb

Hi Kim and a big welcome to you!  Glad you've popped in for a chat.  Spring is a long way away for here as we are heading down the Autumn path....lol and somedays I think that the earth has forgotten what Autumn is and has gone straight to Winter......brrrrrrr!  Yes, we've already had the fire lit a few nights as it was just too chilly for just a blanket and the electric blankets on the beds are being used most nights.  Not to worry though as I truly love the cooler days and cold nights......nothing like getting into a warm bed and snuggling in and listening to the rain on the roof.

Hope all are doing well, feeling well and coping with whatever life is throwing at them.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• chrissyb

Barbe I've done as you suggested.