Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Older People with Sense

Comments

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Hi BernieEllen. Sorry I can't help as I did not have chemo. One of the gals will be along to help. Or you may want to post that question on the Chemo thread.

Lisa, gorgeous color on that rose!

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757

BernieEllen, I don't know for a fact whether the chemo regimen you'll be getting could have "mania" side effects.  It might depend on which chemo drugs you'll be given. 

But, I do know that my oncologist prescribed Ativan for me, to help me sleep on the night or two after each chemo infusion.  She said the Ativan would help counteract the insomnia that might be caused by the dexamethasone I would be taking.  I was getting dexamethasone to decrease the risks of fluid retention and allergic reactions to Taxotere, which was one of my chemo drugs.

But, my oncologist also said the Ativan would help to decrease "irritability".  I don't know if the irritability would have been due to the chemo drug(s) or the dexamethasone; but that might be what your oncologist was concerned about.  Fortunately, for most of us, the side effects of chemo are temporary.  I'm almost 3 years out now, and I think I'm back to normal (whatever that was!).

otter (older, but not necessarily with more sense)

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Before dawn Lisa??? What the heck did it look like when the sun came up??? It's beautiful!!

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184

I should have said, sunrise

• barbe1958

Oh.

• Bren-2007
    Bren-2007 Member Posts: 842

Lisa .. love the rose.  The color and shape is amazing!

BernieEllen .. what Otter said makes sense.  Sounds like it is the steroids that could cause a manic episode. 

hugs,

Bren

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152

Lisa ~ You've outdone yourself. That rose is the very best yet. (Has me craving apricots! lol)

Otter ~ Happy to hear you have normalized. :)    3 years out and I'm still DAT. :(

• Bren-2007

Otter .. it's four years for me, and I haven't normalized yet.  I'm the same person, but since instant menopause and cancer, I've lost the pep in my step.  I just seem "older" now.  Maybe that happens when we find out we aren't invulnerable anymore.  Since getting cancer, I have more fears now too.

Bren

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    Lisa, thank you for the rose, its so beautiful - I needed it this morning.

I am four years out and sure haven't got back to where I was. I know its a new normal and I am four years older but the fear is always there.

And to make matters worse was doing my lymphoedema massage across my chest and in the area which has been 'of concern' is a hard thickening. I can't write what I thought. So it will be more tests etc to see if they can identify what is happening.

Barbara, am so pleased that the storm missed. Hope you plants were OK. Its a beautiful morning so had better get started

• dragonflymary
    dragonflymary Member Posts: 325

Alyson, so sorry about the new developments.  Hope everything is okay.  Lisa, enjoying the roses!  Wish mine were in bloom!

• barbaraa

Well, I can say that I am a step slower also. My one year is 4/28 and I feel like I have aged 5 years in this past one. But today is a beautiful day here in FL now that the rotten weird weather has passed by. Highs in the low 80's, not humid.

All the terrible oak tree pollen has been washed away. It was so bad last week that if you parked your car outside for more than 10 minutes, there was a green dust all over it when you returned. My sinuses are feeling much better also.

(((ALYSON)))) Prayers going up that the area of concern is not of concern!

Dragon, you should be having some flowers popping up soon!

Where's our leader, Chrissy? Haven't heard from her today. Chrissy, yoo hoo!

• QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150

Hi everyone.  It's been a much better week around here than last week.  For one thing, DH and I are over the stomach bug and back to normal!  Goodness, that was rough, but it's over now.  After dreary days of cold rain the sun is finally out again too, and it's forecasted to be 80 degrees Monday!!

Went to a big farm in SC today and got absolutely wonderful vine-ripened strawberries!  Divine. 

Anybody ever heard of vitamin D depleting potassium?  My onc has told me to drastically decrease my vitamin D regimin and I've been put on a potassium supplement, HUGE horse pills which I can no more swallow than I could fly!   Fortunately they can be dissolved, so that's what I'm doing.  And I'm reducing vitamin D to 400 units.  We've been trying to get my level up for several months.

I've got to schedule mammogram (the first one "since") this month.  Like all of us, I'm very nervous about it, too.  I really just dread going to the radiology place at all.  I went for a bone density test my onco. ordered and had a total meltdown because this is where I had the nipple dye injections and the locator wire done.  I was supposed to be under anesthesia for that and my surgeon was going to do both.  I told them and told them and nobody would listen, and other than the emotional stress we all have, that was the worst part of the whole experience for me.  It wasn't like I could just leave either, since my breast was held down on the plate.  The hospital later sent me a letter of apology and a philodendron adorned with a pink ribbon, no less, but it just didn't quite make up for it!  The surgeon was furious, too, and I'm told she had an absolute fit about it.  I do plan to insist that the radiologist who did this will not ever touch me again!

We're going out to eat tonight with some friends, so must get ready.  Later, maybe, and hugs to all.

Lisa--beautiful, beautiful rose!

Kathy

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352

((((((3jays)))))))    (((((Alyson)))))

QCA strawberries in April ??...they don't hit us until June !

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757

Hi, Nico!  I'm so flippin' happy to see you again!  I'm not DAT so much anymore. I think being retired, and being able to sleep until 7:30 every morning, has helped with that. It's weird, though -- even though I'm on Arimidex (hi, JO!!!) and I'm having all its associated SE's, the SE I haven't had is difficulty sleeping.  I think most nights I sleep better now than I did pre-BC.  Barbara, one year is not enough.  I still felt shredded at the one-year point.  It does get better, really.  It's different -- the "normal" might not feel so familiar -- but things calm down.  At least I don't think of cancer all the time anymore.  (Sometimes it takes a completely different sort of family crisis to redirect your mind, though; and that's not necessarily what you want.)

Bren, I feel sort of lucky that I didn't end up in the midst of all this until several years after I'd gone through natural menopause.  I suspect it's a lot harder on pre-menopausal women, who experience "chemo-pause", and then go on tamoxifen or have Lupron shots or oophorectomies + AI's, etc.  Sheesh.  That would really suck.  You sure are right about the vulnerability.  I never was a great risk-taker, but now I am easily intimidated and fearful.  It's funny -- I marched through surgery and chemo with hardly a whimper (don't go back and read my 3-yr-old posts to verify that, please).  All my relatives thought I was so "strong"; so "brave".  But now, the idea of having to fill out a new and unfamiliar tax form makes me tremble.  Big city traffic?  Forget it.  I'll drive dozens of miles out of my way to avoid it.  I like staying home.

And, dear Alyson... cr*p.  I am going to hope that the thickened area is fibrosis from the lymphedema.  That can happen, apparently.  It's not a good thing, but it is considerably better than some of the alternatives.

Hugs...

otter

• Bren-2007

Otter .. I was on HRT when  my cancer was found, so they stopped that immediately with no weaning period.  I had a total hysterectomy many years ago.  I used to be so adventurous and ready for anything .. now I'm like you, I avoid the big city at all costs and drive way out of my way to avoid high traffic areas.  That fearfulness sucks .. plus, I feel older now and for some reason, I'm afraid of breaking a bone now too.  Just like a really old lady!

Barbara .. for some reason, I thought you were an oldtimer with this cancer stuff.  You seem so all-together!  The first year is very hard and the one year anniversary is so significant!  All your emotions and memories of treatment are still so fresh.

(((Alyson)))  This new normal isn't so great sometimes!

Kathy .. I am so jealous of the fresh strawberries.  I did see some in walmart today, but want to wait a bit for them to really ripen up.

hugs to all,

Bren

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184

I keep waiting for the other foot to drop

• dragonflymary
    dragonflymary Member Posts: 325

Yeah!!!!! It's up to 70 today and the magnolia tree is in bloom.  Would post a pic if I could figure out how to do it.  Summer in Portland--it's just the most wonderful thing in the world.  Highlight is the Blues Festival where you can eat on the waterfront, listen to great music and engage in Portland's famous micro-brews.  Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

• Dilly
    Dilly Member Posts: 394

Good afternoon - it's good to see so many joining, and the thoughtful discussion.  BarbA and I are 4/28 girls; and my 1-yr mammo is upcoming in 13 days.

First off, Alyson, I also hope that the area of concern is of no concern; and that there is another explanation. Prayers and hugs sent your way.

Lisa, the roses look good enough to eat, or marry.

Otter, your "after-cancer" thoughts are spot-on. Thanks for verbalizing it so well.

The "after-cancer" - I thought I was the only one who just really hates cities, big crowds, too much noise and white noise.

Big crowds for me is more than 20 people.

• barbaraa

Oh L_C I am with you on the 20 people thing. I am SO not a person liking tons of people around me. Don't get me wrong, I am gregarious and love hamming it up but when I go on vacation it is far away from the hordes.

• mostlymom
    mostlymom Member Posts: 378

QCA - Kathy ((((HUGS)))).  I'm so sorry about "them" not listening to you - I would have had an awful time forgiving them or trusting them again.  I asked if I could take some of my tranks before they did the prep for my lumpectomy and told them I would be keeping my eyes closed - the tranks helped me through the placing of the wire and the injection of the radiation dye.  Even with tranks, it certainly wasn't pleasant....  It's been 2 1/2 weeks since my lumpectomy - such a short time but the 3 weeks leading up to the lumpectomy felt like months and months of stress and worry.  It's such a relief to be feeling close to normal again.  Martha

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

where is everyone tonight? im doing a little better today. i think yesterday was just too much, too soon. hope everyone is well today..and thats' no APRIL FO
    OOLS!!!  3 jays

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Hi girls, I'm here but having a few issues with this site.  Each time I open a thread something is downloading to my computer that cantains a dangerous URL and I'm a little loath to actually read as I am having to disinfect my computer after each visit.......not my idea of a relaxing time.  I don't know where it is coming from and it upsets me to think that someone may have hacked this site and deposited something that will harm our computers.  I will let Melissa know and perhap the Moderators can speak to the techs to maybe tighten the security here.  Hope you are all doing well and I will be back as soon as possible.

Love n hugs to all.  Chrissy

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997

When anything pops up on my computer telling me of a trouble I go to the SNOPES site to check if it is for real. So many of these messages are attempts to sell us something, or to just cause havoc. They are most often not in our best interests. SNOPES is also the site where you can check on urban myths.

Find out the name of your software protection program and make sure you keep it updated. If you receive a message from your software protection program you can go to their site yourself. Not through clivcking on a link that may ber malicious and not authentic. 

Is there anyone who can add to this or correct me so that we can all function with less fear and annoyance on our computers. My husband is a software guy so I am generally very well protected. I don't personally understand a lot of it myself. 

Hugs Ginger

• BernieEllen
    BernieEllen Member Posts: 2,285

Hi to everyone, thanks for the advice and info.  I think it's all just starting to hit home now.

• barbe1958

Nico and otter, what does DAT mean?

Allyson, I have LE and my "mass" is a build-up of fluid and scar tissue. I know how you feel though! I am getting an US as I have a "pea" in that area now. I'd hate to say I-told-you-so when they brushed off my "mass"...

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600

Barb - I do hope they find it it is something harmless.  Good luck on th US.

• barbaraa

(((BARBE)))) Sending B9 thoughts your way!

• Nico1012

barbe1958  ~  DAT =  Dog Azz Tired   LOL

• Nico1012

Barbe  ~ Just read through the posts ~ B9 B9 B9 B9  ~ the mantra going on here!

((((( HUGS))))

• Dilly
    Dilly Member Posts: 394

Barbe, adding my B9 wishes to the chant!  And to all of us who are waiting for results, enduring tx, or whatever hard times, I send good thoughts and prayers.  I hope you find something worth celebrating today. 

My today promises busy, and I suppose I'm celebrating the ability to get up and do, and to be out in the fresh air and sunshine.  Yard work - more rake and burn of tree debris.  It may rain this afternoon but we won't get much more rain until autumn. (we have two seasons here: dust and mud). So all this cleanup has to get done before the seasonal burn ban takes effect.  Next week we'll have a timber crew come, with a tree climber, and clean up all the broken tops and "widow-maker" hanging branches.  When we get in a crew, I mostly watch, and make a big farm lunch.

Best thoughts to each and every one of you, have a pleasant weekend.