Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Older People with Sense

Comments

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101

chrissy:  You sound like you are ready and willing to get this over with and move on with you life!  What a great attitude.  It will all be over soon and you will be walking without pain.  Once my DA had her knees done, she was as good as new!  Once in a while my knees act up, but I've been ignoring them and eventually they get better.  I know that won't always be the case, but for now it's status quo.  I just don't do long walks on concrete or asphalt because that stirs them up.  Shopping malls seem to be ok...hehehe!

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929

Chrissy and Isabel, best of luck with the surgeries. Chrissy, you may want to rethink the manicure. I've been told to remove nail polish before surgery - they give me the remover and cotton in the hospital, they really mean it! I'm not sure why but think it has something to do with the finger oxygen clip so you might want to call and find out before you do it.

Hi to everyone new, and welcome.

Leah

• jpfeier1
    jpfeier1 Member Posts: 1

Looking for some thoughts from those of you who have experience with any similar situations.  My mother in law who is 73 years old recently was determined to have stage IV breast cancer.  It has spread to her Liver, Kidney's and Spine.  Prior to identifying the cancer she had other health issues.  Congestive Heart Failure with COPD as well as extreme edema.  Her first chemo treatment almost killed her, massive infection, kidney failure and pnemounia.  She was in ICU and then released to a rehebiliation center, back to ICU and now in rehab center again.  Therapy for her to regain strength has been almost impossible because her oxegen level isn't high enough.  They are going to decide on what treatment if any she is will be able to tollerate.  While supporting any teament she wants to persue I am also a realist and want my husband to be prepared should they not be able to continue her cancer treatment.  I know no one can say for sure but what is the prognois and timeline for someone in this stage given all the other issues?  I would welcome any comments both positive or grim.  Thank you, Jean 

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929

Jean, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother-in-law's situation. You're right, no one can really give a prognosis.

I suggest you post this as a seperate topic in the Stage IV forum since there are a lot of women who are far more knowledgeable than I am who can answer your questions.

All the best.

Leah

• Kaara

jpfeier1:  I'm sorry to hear you MIL is so ill.  Based on her health issues, it is doubtful that she will be able to withstand any treatments, as the treatments themselves produce toxic SE's that could kill her, as you have already witnessed.  If you want her to have remaining quality of life, I would insist that no treatments be given that could place her life in jeopardy in this manner.

It might be wise to consult with your doctors about bringing in hospice to care for your MIL.  This doesn't automatically mean a death sentence for her, it just means that she will not be undergoing any more treatment, and hospice will help to keep her comfortable and pain free until she is ready to pass.  The one thing you don't want is for her to be in pain.  Hospice took care of my Aunt and they were just wonderful.  They will come right to the home, or she can go to a hospice facility.  They are also very good at explaining to the family the process of preparing for death of a loved one.

I hope this helps. 

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

got some pics, don't know how to make multiples sorry...

• 3jaysmom
    fischers happy to be with nana for her birthday
  • 3jaysmom
  • 3jaysmom
    smaller s better, i cant believe shes two.
  • 3jaysmom
    jay #2 being here was so much a surprise!!!
  • 3jaysmom
    last one #1 jay with Finley.. happy to spend time with the family together.. missed mur somehow!!!
  • Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

Love, love the photos. You look so happy.

• 3jaysmom
    thaks allyson, i was.. its been a long time for the family to be together, and happy .. 62 rocks!!!!
  • 3jaysmom
    everyones been bugging me to put "me" in.. so there you go.. ahappy face!!!!3jays
  • QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150

3jays, the grandchildren are just beautiful, and you are too!!  I'm so glad y'all were able to get together for your birthday!

Kathy

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

3jays, awsome pics!!!   Those munchkins are just so darn cute and I know they are the apple of your eye!  So good that 2 of the jays spent time with you so i has become a memorable birthday........yay!!!

To post multiple pics, just do one then hit enter to move the curser down to the next line and post the next the usual way etc, etc.  If you picsa are small like these, just keep posting them next to each other with one hit of the space bar between.  Good luck!

Jean based on your MIL previous health issues and the fact that she had such a bad reaction to her first chemo, I would concur with what Kaara said and contact hospice for her.  At her age I think she may agree that quality of life is far more important than quantity.  Please have a converstaion with her and see what she wants to do as it is importnt to follow her wishes...........after all, it is her life.

Leah, when I get a manicure I never get polish as I like my nails just buffed to a high shine.  I have worn colour sometimes but I much prefer au naturale........................but I hear you on the no colour for surgery and that is because the anaethetist watches your nails as it is the change from natural pink to purple-blue around the cuticle that is a first indication that your oxygen levels are not what they should be and he/she can adjust your oxygen mix.  They don't just rely on the finger oxygen clip.

Taking it a bit easy today as I wore myself out yesterday......lol......but that's okay, I don't mind taking it wasy..................hahahahahaha!

Hope your day is a good one!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• 3jaysmom
    thanks, kthanks. i have a new wig, red, which is more like i was.. getting a trim tommorrow. hhope it'll end up my avatar. but this one's the happiest i've been in a LONG time!!!!athy.. sat night i had a choking "incident " at my own party!!!we had the dnr talk after all the drama.. my son was so shook, but, now he "gets" it.. i think that's why i'm sooo happy we were all together (less jay #3) but what a great day!!!!
  • chrissyb

Yowsa 3jays!!!   What a gorgeous pic of you!!!!   Please leave it up as it's lovely to see your lovely face!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997

Three Jays you all look so happy to bne together. You have some beautiful grankids. I am happy you had a nice day together. Ginger

• 3jaysmom

wow!!all of you are here, tonight!!!thanks for making me feel like a movie star..

im trying to celebrate me, and not concentrate on the 3 jays as much..

im waiting patiently waiting, and praying, for the upcoming surgeries.. i hope Isabella HAS been moved forward.. so, its' chrissy, isabella, and sas.. have i forgotten anyone???

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600

3jays. Wonderful picture.  So glad your birthday was such a happy one.

• chrissyb

3jays, did you eat at the diner that you took me to?  I though I recognised the tile pattern in the background of the pic with #1 Jay.  Brought back really good memories of when I was there.  Seeing your lovely face is just so special and I love that wig by the way ........ it's perfect for you and suits you so well!

Thanks for the prayers lovely, much appreciated.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369

Haven't had the time to be on here in a while. I just breezed through several pages of posts. Happy belated birthday 3 jays.

Chrissy - glad that you're set to go with your surgery. It will make a huge difference in your mobility.  Are you going to an in patient rehab after? stayed in one for about 5 days after each of my knee replacements.

Lynda

• chrissyb

Lynda hey!!!!!   Nice to see you!!!  Not sure and I won't know until I see a PT while in hospital and if he/she deems it neccessary then I will.  It's very possible as I have a lot of stairs in my house so I need to be up to par before I come home.  Either way, I will be spending a week with my daughter after realease as her house is all on one level so it will be easier for me to get around.

It's so lovely to see you!  How have you been?  Doing well I hope!  You need to pop in a bit more often as I really love to see you.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• Kaara

3jays:  Beautiful photos of you and your family!  Those grands are precious...I know you just love them to pieces!  Is that your real hair or a wig...it's hard to tell it looks so natural.  Glad you had such a wonderful birthday!

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

3jays, so glad you had a happy birthday with family! I love the pics and the wig looks great.

Back to the grind of rads today. But after meeting with the pulmonary tech on Friday I am breathing easier. I have another breathing test tomorrow. I am going to start taking my car onto the boat for my last week of treatment so that I don't have to walk so much and can recline in the passenger seat. I am blessed to have friends that will drive me. My skin has taken a beating, but I am getting to the end.  

hugs to all

nancy 

• 3jaysmom

thanks for the kudos ladies.. the wig came from a friend, and isn't red, but is cool for fla weather..

no, chrissy, we went to Fischers favorite hamburger joint.. one we'll be at again, im sure!!!fries, unsalted with malted vinegar.. lovely, but boy, are my le hands swollen today.. i don't care.. it was the best bday in a LONG time.. being 62 must be good for me!!!!

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352

3Jays...just a quick jump in to say how well you looked with the new hairdo and loved the green outfit. It was so nice to see you looking so happy with the children...now, why can't they do this more regularly...does it hurt them to spend time with you, and let you be with the kids ? Oh these xxxxxx kids, sometimes I wonder why we had them at all !! All I wanted to do when I got married was have a family..and now I don't see anything of my son, (and grandchildren ) over 3 years since I saw them all...DD is a bit better, but sometimes I feel it's just a duty call!, she always has other fish to fry ! 

Just saw some 'glamour' shots of my 15 yr old G/daughter on FB( for want of a better way to describe them !!) 15 and looking 25. Last time I set eyes on her she was 11, and she LOOKED 11, a little girl. If it were my daughter she'd get her backside slapped looking like that in public , at that age! DIL had jumped in and congratulated GD for looking 'SO GROWN UP' She could do with a slap too !!!

Just in that mood this morning....got to set about cleaning up a dog I have had dumped on me.A dog I sold about a year ago, and has suddenly' become a nuisance' I don't ask questions, just take the dogs back when this happens. I don't think he has seen a comb in a year. All overgrown coat, nails, and filthy teeth, and tons of knots to be cut out. He is a real 'squirmer' and is pee-ing all over the show. I am aiming on taking a bath of hot water outside, and doing it on the lawn, it's too nice to be inside today. I'm mad at having to clean him up, just pure neglect. I had planned a day going between weeding, and reading in the garden. I can only work in half hour stretches before pain overwhelms me, so I can sit for an hour in the sun and collect myself ready for another half hour stint. It is SOOOO nice to be alone again, and pleasing myself. I do have DH calling up sometime towards teatime for me to change his bandages, if he comes early I shall bellow at him, so he turns tail and gets out of my way !! I easily get ratty when I am disturbed !

No hospital, nor op. for me this Thursday. I managed to get my surgeons secretary, and sort it out. She was trying to blame me, but I wasn't in the mood for that. I am now AGAIN on the list for pre-op, then onto a second list for op, to be within 6 weeks of pre op....so could be into May now.

Chrissy..good luck with your knee op. I shall be thinking of you. You might be telling me it's Friday, but it will be Thursday here ! I got stopped once just as I was going into theatre, and there was a kerfuffle looking for nail polish remover. No-one had told me I hadn't put it on, so I held things up 10 mins. while remover could be found ! Was told it was for anaesthetist to watch for colour change in my nails while I was out .

Isabella.

• Kaara

Isabella:  Don't you just love those FB shots of the young girls...I cringe when I see my DGD's photos on there...finally had to "hide" them!  My beautiful oldest grand looked like a hooker in training:(  Don't they know that those things and the comments will follow them forever!  If I dare to say anything I get put in my place.  Finally my oldest GD met this really nice young man, and all of a sudden, I notice that she is no longer on FB.  I think she got the message from him, but from grandma...no way!

Your garden duties make me envious and wishing I was already in our summer home in NC!  I have m my garden there and love it.  Can't wait! 

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184

time for spring flowers in Northern Hemisphere