Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Older People with Sense

Comments

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

leah: i'm so sorry to hear about your aunt.. it was lovely that she had the ocean view, after many hardships. i hope to learn the "less is more" lesson, soon....

Barbe, glad your back, and doing well.. SAS; I ALSO ADDED THE LARGER VERSION TO BE ABLE TO READ THE PRINT HERE.. IM ON AN HO.. AND KEEP IT AT 150% THAT WILL HELP WITH THE READING OF THE POSTS.. AND YOUR TYPINGS BETTER THAN MINE WITH GLASESS..LOL DONT WEAR ANYTHING, AND MESS YOUR INSIONS UP AGAIN!!!

hope you'll do well, now that you're home, Chrissy..

Isabella: take it from me.. go to the therapist, so you can test.. if its only tyoe 2, or pre diabetes, which is the most probable right now, you'll only need one round of blood tests, and be done with it.. if it can be pills, you don't have to test. Mur is on glypizide, (pills) and does really well.. you DO not want it to get out of control!!!!(remember Barbara A's brother almost died!!!

i got used to the short needles, and i have apen for daytime needles. im sorry, but mine are un avoidable, it goes up/down too often..

the MOST imp. part is, you eat 6 small meals a day. which of course, i can't while alone, and that's why mines so erratic.

i know you don't do "regular" eating either.. id bet, if you'd do a samll meal/snack 6 xs a day, you'll straighten right out.. my mom did, and never had to take meds.. pm me, or google for the diabetes eating plan. its imp to keep the levels even ALL day, and maybe you won't even have to worry about it.

id shoot the ex, if you missed the op..or was that appt?........3jays

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    wanted to let you know, also.. having MOHS srgery on my hand tommorrow, and won't be able to type for awhile, so i'll be reading only, i think.. its between the fingers, so expect to be wrapped up for a week, or so... 3jays
  • lulubee
    lulubee Member Posts: 903

Ouchy, 3jays!  We'll miss you.  Heal fast!

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101

3jays:  Wishing you a speedy recovery...we'll miss your posts!

• QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150

3jays, hope your surgery goes well and you get back here soon!  Be thinking of you.

Lulubee, I've lost and nearly lost many earrings that have that hairpin type curve, and what I do is keep the little plastic things that some of them come with.  Just put the earring in and slide that plastic thing back on, and voila!  Earring can't work its way out.  

I haven't posted on this yet but we learned last week that one of our chuch friends has pancreatic and liver cancer.  The prognosis is 1 year.  She was being treated for phlebitis and hospitalized for clots, and the cancer was found during a ct scan. She's to have a biopsy Tuesday.

Then last night an 18 year old boy, the grandson of friends, was seriously injured in a car wreck, broken back, punctured lung, etc.  This boy is so special to me, always comes up and hugs me every time he sees me, just a dear, dear boy.  Luckily, he's not paralyzed and he will have a rod placed in his back during surgery, hopefully tomorrow.   He's in ICU.  If any of you could pray for both these people, or send positive thoughts, I'd be grateful.  

Don't mean this post to be such a downer.  DD's musical was lots of fun, capacity crowds both nights and the kids sang their little hearts out. We took the set down and dismantled everything this afternoon so all that's behind us now.  Now, we focus on her wedding! But first, DH and I are looking forward to Savannah next week!

Chrissy, so glad you're home at last!

Hugs to all, and hope we all have a good week.  

Kathy

• Kaara

QCA:  Lifting your friends in prayer.

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600

Heart felt wishes for quick healing to you 3jays and to your friends Kathy.  Comfort and prayers to your friend from church and complete recovery for your teen age friend.

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639

I will certainly keep all those who need prayers and healing thoughts in my mind.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Chrissy, I missed it, where did you go?

SAS, I THINK THAT'S A BRILLIANT IDEA TO POST A LIST OF BANNED PEOPLE!!! YOU MIGHT SEE THE SAME ONES IN THE DOG HOUSE, SO DON'T BE SURPRISED. IT'S INTERESTING THAT THE MODS BAN THE SAME PEOPLE, BUT NOT THE ONES WHO "START" THE ISSUE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! 

Prayers to those in need. My ex SIL is getting an audio biopsy this week. Anyone hear of it? She is a survivor of about 4-5 years and thought she was cured. I hated to tell her when I saw her at my daughter's wedding. But that's why they have "Run for a CURE"!!! Why does no one realize that?

Isabella, is your DH still alive? I'll come over for the funeral to dance with you on his grave.

• Kaara

How does one get "banned" from BCO.  I've seen some really nasty posts from people on the alternate sites and they don't get banned to my knowledge.  I know sometimes the mods delete the posts if they think they are too controversial.

Barbe:  LOL... what did you say to get in the dog house?  It must have been a doozie!  Glad you're back. 

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Kathy prayers for your friends coming your way.  So glad the concert went off without a hitch.  I just love watching the kids perform.........they have so much joy and exuberance!

Barbe, I PM'd you.

3jays, sure hope your hand heals quickly!

Isabella, is he still kickin'?  If he is, he's a very lucky man!................lol

I'm doing well, so well in fact that I'm moving around the house without using a stick or anything!  I will admit that by night time though, I really know I have a leg as it does ache..... a lot!......lol.  I need to remember that I am allowed to sit and rest it......lol.

Love n hugs all!   Chrissy

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

Just to say we are having a great few days away. Will do some reading once I have had a cup of tea. Have been shopping with a friend today and she made me buy all sorts of things!!!

Big hugs to all

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997

Kaara, No! Barbe do not tell us what you said to get banned, I missed you. I don't want you to get banned again.  

Hugs all

Ginger

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352

Chrissy, pleased you are up managing to get round the house again, but don't overdo it. I know it's not east to sit and rest...I get itchy feet just sitting...never was a sitter, always have to be doing. I'm sure you'll continue to go forwards now...do you have to keep going to hospital to be kept a check on?

Just nicely got off the 'phone from arguing with my insurance company. I am so sick of their bills going up, year on year. Last year I had a big 'do' with them, and as a result only managed to reduce my bill by around £5 ($8) This year I went for a softer approach, whining that I was retired now, and hardly driving at all (liar!!) and I got a reduction of just over £ 72 ( $117) I also threatened to move all my other insurances if they weren't going to help me out !!!

I have had a bit of a dust up with DH, I shouted my piece at him, and he hardly replied, just sat there silently. Threw me a bit, as I am so used to squawking away at him to get my point across, and having him squawk back. So I don't really know if he's sorry or not, I just got the silent treatment. I refused to go and do him some shopping ,he found his voice enough to ask me if I would do this, there's nothing wrong with his legs, or his car, and then I was off out slamming the door !! So time will tell if we are still talking or not. His number has rung me this evening, but, if he doesn't leave me a message on my answer machine, I don't ring him back !

Isabella.

• Kaara

Isabella:  What was he going to say...he was dead wrong for what he did....there could have been no reasonable excuse that would have been acceptable.  Good that you had the "dust up" with him (love that phrase) and got it off your chest.  Now you can move on to more productive things.  Time for him to stop taking advantage of you!

• QCA

Isabella, so glad you didn't cave and do his shopping!  The utter NERVE of that man leaves me speechless.

Thanks to all of you who prayed for my friends.  Haven't heard anything today about the one with the pancreatic cancer, but my young friend's surgery is now to take place tomorrow afternoon.  He had to have a larger chest tube placed today for his collapsed lung as the first one wasn't doing well. He got his cell phone back today so at least he'll be able to call his friends.  It's still a precarious situation but it's a miracle he's alive at all.

Went with DD today for the first fitting of her wedding dress, now that she has the shoes she'll wear.  Stilts, I call them, and I wouldn't dare try to take a step in them.  Bought me something too though.  Spanx!  Haven't tried them yet, but probably should to see if I can breathe in them!

Kathy

• Gingerbrew

Spanx are great, I have some that you cannot feel once they are on. The waist doesn't cut in or anything at all.   Mine are just regular ones I imagine the super duper ones would make their presence known.

Ginger

• Elisimo
    Elisimo Member Posts: 1,262

Chrissy -So glad you are back home and doing well. At the rate you are going you should be ready for the other knee to be done in a couple of months! Do try not to over do things, so there will be no more set- backs. Hugs & love

Leah - So sorry to hear of the loss of you Aunt. She sounds like an amazing lady, that was able to see the beauty around her and be content with her life. That is truly a rare quality in any person.

Kathy - prayers are being lifted for all your friends.

Sorry, I have not been posting much lately, but just not up to doing much theses past few weeks. See MO on the 8th and will see if we can find out what is going on that makes me feel so lousy all the time and still not sleeping well even with the pills that are supposed to put me right to sleep for the night.

Hope everyone can see the beauty around them today.

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352

I am pulling my hair out  again tonight. I see on FB that my DD has had some 'boudoir photo's' taken today , at some studio or other . She has seen some of them, but they 'are not for publication, and she will not be posting them on FB'.  She will be 45 soon. I can't ever see her becoming an adult !!

One of her sons' GFs spoke to me last week about DDs way of dressing, a bit guardedly at first, then when she realised I do NOT approve of her behavior the floodgates opened !! I am getting that DDs children and their GFs are very embarrassed by the way DD dresses and behaves when they go out together. They do not like her tagging along when they go for girls' nights out, and wish she wouldn't make such a show of herself in the local pub !! DD was here tonight. She had on black tights, VERY short shorts, black. A black bustier, and black lace rags tied all over her bright red hair, not auburn...RED. It is raining to heavens high, and sooo cold today, so not appropriate bustier and shorts weather ! Admittedly she has a very nice shape, slim 5'6" and 34-22-34...long slim legs....but she will dress about 17.....but she looks as if she is just about to go do a shift down a dark alley somewhere !!! I would seriously wonder if she was mixed up at hospital when she was born, but I had her at home, so can't be that !!

It came out last week that she'd had Botox earlier this year. Really, you cannot tell, and I put my foot in in by saying this ! I had to back track a bit and lie, and say 'well I suppose if I put my glasses on and looked closer I would see the difference'...but there isn't a difference. She is 45 and looks it, her constant smoking and drinking are aging her. I am so sick of going at her about this, that I have decided I will stop. It does not one iota of good, and she knows the consequences...and it's making me into the mother of all naggers !

On a lighter note I did my good deed for the day, drove DH to 2 appointments. First to the hospital in the city, for a heart ultrasound, then home, a quick cup of coffee, and off again to our local hospital to have his bandages removed after his arm op. I am so pleased to be home again, no more driving him around in the forseeable future, infact his Dr said he could now drive himself....yes !! I am off to my own Dr tomorrow to discuss diabetes, and see what she is going to do with me....she asked me to come in to sort it all out...I can see an impasse, as she will be thinking more blood tests, and I won't.

It is Bank Holiday weekend here, a lot will be taking 4 days off, starting tomorrow. I am expecting 7 dogs in for the weekend, and a further 5 in for the full week. My Gson will be in and out to help, and dogs are no trouble to me at all. I also have 2 puppies going to new homes over the holiday, but apart from that I shall have my gates firmly shut ! Hoping no relatives decide to come and drop on me. I think over the years they have got the message that I do not like visitors bothering me. Most used to call when they had small children to bring the little ones to look at the animals, but all are grown up now, so I don't get that anymore...thank goodness. They always used to turn up just when I was going out to start working, and couldn't understand why I was less than pleased to see them ! Can't do with sitting around, chattering and handing out tea and cake when there's work to be done.

Shower time !

Isabella. 

• Kaara

Wow Isabella..you have an interesting life.  Your DD sounds like my DGD who has the same hair and dress with tatoos all over her body.  It's hard for me not to cringe when I look at her.  She is, however, a very good mommie to my little DGGD, so I put up with her looks and say nothing.  I'm hoping it's a phase she will grow out of.  Honestly, there is nothing worse than competing with your children for attention...it's basic insecurity.

I tend to wear things that are a little young for my age, but I shy away from the back alley look and tend to be more conservative in the outfits I choose.  For instance I would wear skinny jeans with boots because I have good legs still, but I wear a conservative shirt and jacket to pair with it.  Maybe DD needs some fashion advice to help her make the transition.  I've given DGD some of my clothes that no longer fit me, and she wears them and looks nice in them.  She has finally decided to dye her hair a dark brown from the fire engine red it was....what a relief!  I think she was scaring the baby...hehe!  In the end, what can we do...nothing...they have their own lives.  

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894

rHANKS EVERYONE FOR THE EYEGLASS SUGGESTIONS. I EXPECT ANYDAY TO BE ABLE TO RETURN TO REGULAR GLASSES. MACA-SORRY YOUR CONTACTS POP OUT --RATHER AN INCONVENIENCE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON'T SEE WHERE THEY GO TOO.

lEAH SORRY ABOUT YOUR AUNT. SHE ROUNDS PRETTY DEAR TO YOU.

ISABELLA SOUNDS LIKE YOUR DD SHOULD BE IN A MOVIE

CHRISSY--YEAH HOME AND MOVING.. MY INTENTION FOR YOU IN OUR LAST NOVENA WAS THAT ALL THE MEDICAL ERRORS WOULD STOP AND SAME WITH COMPLICATIONS.

BARBE-DID I SAY SOMETHING ABOUT LISTING BANNED PEOPLE? DON'T REMEMBER. WOULD HAVE TO GO BACK.  BUT HAPPY TO SEE YOU BACK---ALOT OF PEOPLE WERE WORRIED ABOUT YOU.----MULTIPLE THREADS. PROBABLY MEANT THAT AT LEAST THAT 'D BE A PLACE TO LOOK FOR SOMEONE IF THEY WENT MIA AND NO ONE HAD THERE NUMBER. MIA AROUND HERE MAKES PEOPLE NERVOUS. YOU WERE DEFINITELY MISSED.

GINGER IS SPANX LIKE A GIRDLE?  AI'S GIFT TO US IS A BELLY LIKE THE GUYS BUMMER

CAN'T REMEMBER ANYMORE OF WHAT I READ TO CATCH UP---HERE'S HOPING EVERYONE IS KEEPING WELL

ELISIMO--------HOPE THEY CAN FIGURE OUT YOUR DILEMMA------BEING TIRED ALL THE TIME TAKES THE FUN OUT OF EVERYTHING.

• QCA

It's good to see you, Elisimo.  I hope your MO can give you some answers Tuesday.  Just not feeling well and being unable to do anything can wear you out.

Isabella, I'm glad you're seeing your doctor and hope she can relieve some of your anxiety about the diabetes.  Re DD, I just do not know why people dress or act as some of them do, but you're so right in that you can do nothing to change it.  It's just wasted effort, isn't it?  I didn't even have my ears pierced until after my DD was born and I cannot tell you how many holes she has in her ears--maybe 6 in each or so.

Again, thank all of you so much for the prayers for my friends.  My young friend actually had therapy today, in a back brace, and we found out that he will miss the last 5 weeks of school.  He wants to walk with his graduation class and is determined.  I feel sure arrangements can be made about final exams, etc, and hopefully he may even go to college as planned in the fall.  I don't have an update on the friend with pancreatic cancer, but she's to see a MO this Friday.

SAS, SPANX AREN'T A GIRDLE LIKE THE OLD ONES, JUST A SNUG FITTING ELASTIC BODY SUIT  THAT FITS FROM THE UPPER THIGHS TO JUST UNDER THE BUSTLINE.  I STILL HAVEN'T ATTEMPTED TO PUT MINE ON!

I'm packed for Savannah except for the items I'll need in the morning, and we're ready to go!  Hope you all have a great weekend!

Kathy

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894

THANKS KATHY-----BUT TO ALL I'D LOVE TO READ ALL POSTS-----FOR AWHILE  REALLY SHORT TERM, I AM DEVELOPING REAL FURROWS TRYING TO DECIPHER SMALL POSTS. WHAT'S EVEN WORST IS TRYING TO USE SPELL CHECKER. IT'S LETTERS ARE EVEN SMALLER.  NEVER NOTICICED TILL THE NEED WAS THERE. GETTING BETTER AT NOT MAKING GOOBLYGOOK, OR AT LEAST i THINK. STRANGE.

WELL HAPPY DAY TO ALL SHEILA

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Hi all!

Elisimo I sure hope you can get some answers from your doc, feeling like you are is not good.  Take it easy and take care lovely one.

Isabella I honestly don't know where you get the patience and good will from when it comes to your DH.  I think I would have killed him by now if he were mine!  I sure hope he fully realises just what damage he has done by being so selfish.  I can relate when you talk about your DD and the way she dresses.  My DD1 was sort of following that route in her late thirties but somewhere during the year of her fortieth she woke up to herself and now dresses far more appropriate to her age.................still modern but appropriately so.  I hope your DD wakes up to herself before she totally alienates her children.

Ginger please let me know how comfortable your Spanx are.  I have now lost 22lb and am in dire need of something to put a little firmness in this old body!  I'm sure if I wore something like that I could probably look like I've dropped another dress size........lol.......even if it's just an illusion.

SAS YOUR NOVENA MUST HAVE WORKED AS I'M DOING EXCEPTIONALLY WELL. 

Kathy I hope your young friend is improving each day and he can get to walk ,with his class for graduation.  I hope your other friend has some good news when she sees the MO on Friday.  Enjoy your time in Savannah!

I'm doing very well and the knee is too.......lol.  The last couple of days I have managed to actually use that leg as the lead leg when climbing the stairs but only for two and then I go back to the other leg leading..........lol. It is getting stronger and stronger and it's amazing I can actually feel the difference.  The INR levels are not being quite so wonderful and they were right down again yesterday when I had the test done.......1.2 and that is waaaaay too low.  They should be between 2 and 3 so I'm back on the merry go round of uppong meds and testing till we get it right again.  The ione good thing is though, I've managed to organise with our community hospital to have the finger prick test rather than the full blood draw..................now that really makes me happy!  Not just because I'm really over having to feed the vampires but because the drive to the community hospital is only five minutes as against and hour for the full draw.

I've been getting organised ready for my SIL.  She comes to stay each year on the weekend of the town's Antique Fair and that is this weekend.  It should be a weekend of fun and laughter as we tend to do a lot of both when we are together.

Hoping all have as much fun and enjoyment this weekend as I will!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,927

Chrissy, Your reference to the vampires made me laugh. I was a regular blood donor before my dx. When the blood bank would call to ask me to come in, my husband would hand the phone to me while saying 'it's the vampires' loudly enough for them to hear. So happy to hear you're doing well.

• Gingerbrew

Chrissy, Spanx are comfortable. There are quite a few different variations in type, tops, bottoms, long leg, shorter leg, even capri length. There are some that  are heavier offering more control but that is where you could get uncomfortable. If you go to a large department store like Nordstroms or Macy's you can probably try them on. Laying the waist down onto your skin is one way to not have any pulling. I have heard of people wearing two pair of spanx for more control. I don't think I would do that myself. Go buy a couple pair of the panty style and from there you will decide if you want to try others.

Hugs Ginger

• Kaara

I love them because they give you some control without being uncomfortable.  It keeps a smooth line under the new clingy dresses if you ask me.  I've even worn the capri style as leggings under a long tunic top.

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

HELLO EVERYONE, IT IS MY LAST DAY ON ST JOHN. WE HAVE HAD SUCH A GOOD TIME, THAT I HAVEN'T HAD TIME FOR POSTING. THE WARM MOIST AIR HAS DONE WONDERS FOR MY BREATHING OR THE LONG ACTING INHALER FINALLY KICKED IN (ONE OF THE TWO) I HAVE EVEN BEEN ABLE TO SNORKEL FOR SHORT AMOUNTS OF TIME. THE PLACE WE ARE STAYING HAVE GUYS DRIVING GOLF CARTS TO DRIVE US PLACES SO NO LONG WALKS AND THE BEACHES ARE RIGHT BESIDE THE ROAD SO NO HIKING. IT HAS BEEN PERFECT!  IT HAS RAINED SOME OF THE TIME, BUT IT IS SO WARM IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER. WE HEAD HOME TODAY, AS I AM PRETTY TIRED IT WILL BE NICE TO BE IN MY OWN BED AGAIN BUT IT HAS BEEN AN ADVENTURE OF A LIFETIME!

CAPS FOR SAS

HOPE YOUR HAND IS HEALING 3JAYS

(((((ELISIMO)))))

HOPE EVERYONE ELSE HAS A GOOD WEEKEND.

NANCY 

• Kaara

Nancy:  So happy for you that you had a nice vacation!  St. John's is a paradise and I couldn't think of a better place to kick back and unwind after a long challenging bout like you've had.

• lulubee
    lulubee Member Posts: 903

YAY, NANCY!