Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Older People with Sense

Comments

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Welcome, Phyllis. A lot of stuff in such a short time!

I hope everyone has a lovely holiday weekend. Chrissy, this weekend is our Memorial Day weekend where we memorialize our fallen soldiers of all wars. I am headed to the pool in a couple hours followed by heading to a beach bar to see DH's band play. I will post some pix if I get any good ones.

• barbaraa

Aw Marybe, we cross posted. Sending hugs for your hair. Maybe it will just get thin. You never know! Can't wait until September.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Barb we celebrated and remember ours on Anzac Day which is the 4/25.  Enjoy your long weekend!

Marybe, (((((hugs)))))) on the hair loss.  Yup to your question re trip.....all is underway and beginning to come together.  Waiting on the money to come through and then I'm off to book the ticket.......I'm coming!!!   never fear,   the only thing to stop me is being in hospital and that ain't going to happen.....so, USA....here I come!!!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Chrissy, if you're coming that far, why don't you do the hop-skip-and-a-jump to Canada???? Puleeeze come and visit me????

We had our long weekend last Monday - Victoria Day (Queen's birthday) My DHs birthday is May 24th, so I'm sure he used to think the fireworks were for his day, too!

Marybe, less heat on your head for summer? Less product required? I'm trying to put a good spin on this, but it does suck for you. I'm so sorry you are going throuh this yet again!

• chrissyb

Barbe, I would love to, but would you have any idea how much a ticket from New York to Toronto would be?   Just a ball park figure so I can maybe work out if it's possible.

• barbe1958

Probably about $100!!! We're not that far!! My kids drove to Ground Zero one Sunday just to see it.

• chrissyb

If that's the case I see no problems then.  Does Toronto have one or more airports and if yes, which would be most convenient for you?

• chrissyb

I have a feeling that my holiday is growing substantially.  The original plan was three weeks, but it's now beginning to look more like six!

• barbe1958

We have three airports - Buttonville, Island and Pearson. Any of them would be close enough!! Wouldn't that be too cool?????

• barbe1958

Your best pricing would be WestJet into the Island airport!!

• chrissyb

Thanks Barbe for the info, I'll add it to my plans and see what happens when I go to book the ticket.......I'll keep you in the know.  Thanks for the invite!

• Elisimo
    Elisimo Member Posts: 1,262

Barbe - why don't you join some of us at Shell Knob, MO the last week of September?  Some of us will be meeting at Marybe's Uncle Bill's cabin on Table Rock Lake for a few days of fun and just getting to know each other better.  I am sure there is enough room for you to come too.  I am not sure who all is coming, but I do know BarbaraA, Marybe, Chrissy and I will all be there.  Who else is joining us Marybe?

Phyllis - you are welcome to come too if you are able, just get infromation from Marybe by clicking on her name on one of her posts and then send her a Private Message using the link that will be on the upper right side of her profile page that pops up.  Looks like you have gotten a lot of information and options to choose from.  Know that we are all here for you no matter what you decide to do. We do have fun and give each other a lot of love, encouragement and support here. So if you have anything to share or want to say this is a safe place to say it.  Good, Bad or Ugly we all understand whatever emotions you are having and will love you through the Bad and Ugly and laugh with you through the Good. 

• dragonflymary
    dragonflymary Member Posts: 325

BarbaraA--thanks for the travel info re:  Florida.  Would love to come down there when money allows!  Phyllis--I just can't believe your boss announced that to the whole company!  That was so unprofessional.  When my DH had cancer I worked at our health plan and people I didn't even know knew all about his case.  It was pretty uncomfortable. 

Don't give anyone any information until you're ready to share.  I found that people didn't want the real story, as that scares them to death.  I'm sort of a storyteller and like to go into great detail about everything so I have to watch it.  Cancer is a big word and most people are either afraid (wimps!) when they hear it or (the worst) have some philosophical opinion.  Can't tell you how many New Age remedies I had recommended.  My sister-in-law thought I should take vinegar and baking soda and it would go away.  I know she meant well but I just didn't want to hear something like that when I was getting ready to have a mastectomy.

The other thing, people who tell you that if they ever get cancer they don't want any treatment, they just want to die naturally.  So many people who've never been sick a day in their lives just know all about how THEY would deal with cancer.  Yeah, sure! 

One good thing that cancer has given me is the permission to "filter" input.  I also now filter people I feel are going to add in any way to the stress.  I find I'm a lot less combative and just don't even want to engage people who have some kind of treatment they want to push on me.  I used to argue about stuff like the scientific method and clinical research.  But the truth is if a conversation is going to take a lot of energy out of me, I just don't want to talk in the first place.  I value my time much more than I did before and I don't want to spend it angry or stressed out. 

I really think I'm happier now and that my vision is clearer than before.  If there's a day when I feel good I try to make it a point to enjoy it.  Also, I appreciate the present now and spend less time on the past.  I don't listen to as much news as I once did.  Yelling at the TV is not going to keep people from killing each other.  I'm Irish and we're pretty hot headed so I'm learning to "cool off!"

And since this post is already too long, I might as well make it longer.  The other thing--before I got the cancer I had a stroke the year before.  It wasn't catastrophic--just right leg weakness--but it did change my brain around for the positive.  It sort of puts you in touch with a part of the brain that is less verbal and more sensory.  (It was on the left side).  I know after that and the cancer I am really enjoying things like the visual arts and gardens and music a lot more.  I was just so busy thinking before that I never slowed down enough to be in the present!

Sorry this turned into a kind of sermon but it is possible to turn some of this darkenss into light.  That may be the only way to get through it.  Dragon (first name Lynda--from Oregon).   

• Elisimo
    Phyllis - I agree with Lynda, I have learned to filter people and some people that I used to think of a friends are just too draining on my energy with all their suggestions and how different people they know have done with cancer treatments and things that I should or should not do.  Now I am polite to them, but do not engage them if conversation and if they start on the cancer subject I either change subjects or just tell them I am tired and need a nap and walk away.  For the time being just concentrate on yourself and your health and learn to be a little selfish with your time and energy.  As time goes along you will quickly know which relationships are toxic to your health and which ones truly care and are there to help.  I did find I had more of the ones that were there to help than I ever imagined.  I just had to learn that it was okay to ask or help.  {{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}} and love to you.
  • dragonflymary

Amyjo, all that is so true!  People I never imagined would care came out of the woodwork and did me tremendous good.  This is a true learning experience and I feel so much wiser!

• Elisimo

Lynda - there is a lot of good that seems to come from BC and a new awareness of what and who is important.  It is really a shame that you have to get BC or some other tramatic event to make you realize that.  I don't know that I feel any wiser, but I do have a better since of who I am and what things are of true value.  It was really hard for me to learn to be selfish sometimes, but I have realized that is something that I needed to learn so that I can focus on the people and things that are important.  It really has allowed me to be more generous with those I care about.  No has turned out to be a wonderful word.  

• dragonflymary

Boy is that true--I love my new word "No!"  Lynda

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

hey ladies, im reading, not much to say tonight, except Chrissy; adding to the trip again hahaha    3jays

• barbe1958

I liken our situation to flight in a commercial jet. The flight attendant teaches us to put OUR oxygen mask on first so that we are able to help others. If we tried to help our kids first, we could pass out from lack of oxygen and then no one is helped. So take care of yourself first! Makes sense.

I am very, very seriously hoping I can go to Uncle Bills cottage! Marybe has communicated with me and I want to go. So very, very cool. Not a cruise or Vegas, but a calm serenity which is what I'd prefer. I went to the Rocky Mountain School of Photography in Missoula, Montana 4 years ago. What a great way to return to Montana!

• chrissyb

Barbe, if you could come that would be fabulous!!!  I am so looking forward to meeting a lot of the girls! I'm like a kid waiting for the birthday party......lol   Everyday is a day closer....Yay!!!!!

• mazie1121
    mazie1121 Member Posts: 62

Well, I'm home for about an hour and back to the baby.  I am trying to fit in time to join photobucket to get Olivia's picture on there.

My youngest had a procedure done on Thursday so I've been with her too.  Whew! I'm starting to feel it but enjoying every minute.

• chrissyb

Mazie, could you give the little one a cuddle from me please?   I just loooooove babies......they smell wonderful and are sooooo soft!

• barbaraa

Marianne, babies are just the best aren't they?

• Elisimo

Mazie - Take care of yourself first so that you will have the energy and stamina to just love on Olivia Anne. Then you can take care of the other family members if they really need your help.  I found that my kids are all old enought to pretty much take care of themselves.  Occassionally the do just need Mom to be there, but that is not really very often.  But then my youngest is 37!

Barbe - so hoping you can goin us in MO (Missouri) at Uncle Bill's place.  We will have a lot of fun just getting to know each other.  If at all possible please come.  I like your comparision to the commercial jet trip. 

• barbe1958

Yikes! good thing you told me Missouri...I was thinking Montana!!!

Babies don't smell like babies anymore because they don't use baby powder anymore!! Apparently it has been a factor in asthma!!!!! I don't think so.....................do you?

• Elisimo

Barbe - If Baby powder is a factor in asthma, my mom must have used a ton on me!  My asthma is horrible and has been giving me fits this year.  I really do not think that baby powder is the cause.  All my babies and grandbabies used and are using baby powder still and only 2 of the 7 have asthma.  I think it is a genetic thing.  If you want to go to Montana sometime I will join you, just tell me when.

• dragonflymary

Oh I was just about to throw out an old thing of baby powder.  Now I'm saving it!!  I also have asthma but love the smell enough that I just use my inhaler and then put it on.  It's great after the mastectomy--it seemed like my arms kept irritating the sides of my chest and the baby powder made it all slippery.

I'm writing in order to keep from working on my messy kitchen.  Let's see...what else can I write about?  The SUN just came out!  Yipeeeeeee!  Oh heck, the dishes are still there...

Lynda

• barbaraa

Had a great day at the pool with DH. He is making dinner tonight (he does most nights although Thursday I made a killer crock pot beef stew) and we are having baked breast of hormone free chicken with organic mashies and sauted organic spinach. Yum.

• chrissyb

I love baby powder but I use the cornflour based one as the other is made from chalk and clogs the skin.  But I still tink babies smell wonderful with or without the powder!

Lynda, I can't blame you for not wanting to do the dishes, I feel the same way....often!  I sometimes just stack and leave them overnight and when I get up in the morning, the dish fairy has been and my kitchen is all in order!   Mind you, I think my dish fairy might be 6ft 1inch and 280lb......lol

Amyjo, how are you feeling?  I hope you've managed to get things under control..........When are you heading off to your DD's house?  I know it's soon but can't for the life of me remember exactly.

Hope you are ell enjoying your Memorial Day weekend!

Love n hugs.   Chrissy

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

hey ladies, great to see everyone here.. hope y'all are havin a great mem wkend... its when my mom died 3 yrs ago; so, its' always dicey 'round here...

we have, however, managed to "dig" in here again, trying to organize "stuff"... and, i have 2 more days to push Mur to do so... tommorrow i see my son, Jay # 2 , and then, box up some more christmas stuff... we're doing a "christmas in July " sale.. we have enough for 5 families here, and right before i was dxed we moved in. i have what we've used here... don't even need to sort.. if we haven't needed it, we don't need it now...

did some gardening here at 9pm.. its' way too hot to do it in the day. i ended up soaking wet from the heat at that hour!!!

but, Isabella is freezing already, so i don't need to push HER buttons!it's winter for you, also, isn't it Chrissy? nuff said..

it would be so great if you could make uncle Bills' Barbe.. just PM marybe. she told me there's lots of beds, so we can really sit back and enjoy each others' company.. since we're not staying in a hotel, it won't be expensive.. just food, and Marybe promised me some stromboli.. its' my bribe to get there...

some of us have really tight budgets, but its' right on a lake, and i understand its beautiful... google the Ozarks...

its' right outside of jopins?sp where the tornado was... hope its' still there lol     3jays