INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369

Chrissy - They actually changed the design for the better since I bought mine. Mine is rolled up in a bag - looks like a mini, mini sleeping bag. No pillow, either..

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

Haunti-------my DH and I were in Boston during the Game in the 70's-------the town was quiet , we got to go everywhere we want ed real fast b/c everyone else was watching the game. What year would that have been--------made a joke with the taxicab driver, he almost put us out on a bridge going to the USS Constitution

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy-----there are too many going into nursing now for the security of job finding and the money, not b/c they believe in what they are doing. Too many looking to be chiefs rather than indians.

• Hauntie

It's just getting light out. Think I'll take a walk on the beach. Big sand castle competition this weekend. I can check them out, before the crowds get there. Good night/good morning everyone.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Hauntie, my knees are at level 4 but I'm still managing to get around....so far.  I do have a problem if I have to walk too far for too long so I do mind what I do.  The surgeon said to me when I asked how long before he thought I'd need replacement and he said ' I'm just waiting for you to say you've had enough'.   Mmmm  I think he was trying to tell me they need doing now....well maybe when I get back from my trip I'll start to think about it.

• Hauntie
    SAS - That probably would have been in 1975. They won the pennant that year and played in the world series. I'm not a big enough fan to know this stuff. I'm actually looking it up as you ask the questions.Embarassed Win or lose - they're our team and we love 'em.
  • chrissyb

Night Hauntie....enjoy your walk on the beach!   Love n hugs!

Shiela,I think it's the same problem the world over and it happens in most proffessions.  The one that annoys me is the teachers.....I don't know what it's like ther but here, all they do is grump about the hours they work and the kids who are needing a bit extra time put into them get left by the eayside while they concenttrate on the kids who learn easily.......it's so bad!    I do know of some of the young nurses who should not be in the field at all......I had one!!!!....until I had her banned from my room and my care.

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy-------how long have you been on Tamox or AI's----------my fear is that the joint damage they will do is may be not worth the prevention if I have no mets?

• Hauntie

Chrissy - too bad there wasn't time to do it before your trip. I know you're going to have a fantastic time, but you would enjoy it that much more if you could walk pain free.

• chrissyb

Shiela, I couldn't take Tamoxifen as it put me i hospital with a suspected heart attack so I was on nothing prior to getting the mets and so I have been on an AI for two and a half years now.  The knees were very bad long before I went on the AI's as I have Osteoarthritis in just about every joint and have had for since I was in my early twenties so I think I'm doing okay.

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy-----whats worse is when one of those no nothing nurses gets into management------then they propagate other no nothings and force out the ones that do b/c they challenge the substandard care------it's windmills again. I fear who will have to take care of any of us in the future

• chrissyb

Hauntie, I manage to controll the pain pretty well and I'm sure I will enjoy it anyway.  I'm quite happy to see a little and chat a lot!!!

• chrissyb

Shiela, in amongst those no nothing there is the occassional one that should be there and it is to them that we must rely to keep the nursing at an acceptable level.

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy bummer---------have you tried ginger and the other alternatives, I'd have to to a search, but you'd have to remind me . The NIH was doing a long term study of glucosamime and chondritin----------forget how it came out or if further research was done?

• chrissyb

I have taken both for years as well as a whole heap of other alternatives and I think that is why I'm still doing okay.

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy------It was what I was talking about earlier--------I was a voice--------and then forced out b/c of it , the staff that cared .knew that this woman would force out anyone that disagreed with her and/or poison the waters with all the other managers , if you tried to transfer out. I walked in on a monday morning and wrote a resignation letter on a blank piece of paper. That was it. Otherwise, loose pension and Plb 240 hours. Lots of money. But she was going to have me gone. Too bad.

• Hauntie

Chrissy - I was just getting ready to go for that walk when I saw your post re teachers. I must defend my co-workers. I'm an occupational therapy practioner working in the public schools. It's a fairly new career for me (about 10 years) and I have a whole new respect for teachers.  I've come across a few who take the easy way out, but by far the majority I've worked with are dedicated to the kids.

The school day may be 6 1/2 hours long, but many, many teachers are there for 8 or 9 hours and then bring work home. Summers are spent taking classes to keep up their certification. People complain about the high cost of education. But, whatever we pay our teachers, it's not enough. The average auto mechanic makes more per hour than a teacher. Where's the logic in that - paying more to take care of our cars, then educate our kids.

OK - I'm going for that walk now. Sorry if I came on too strong.  

• sas-schatzi

Haunti

• chrissyb

Shiela, unfortunately there are a lot of nasty people out there who are not happy unless they are making someone else miserable just to get their own way.   I always think what goes around, comes around and it will come back to bite them on the behind and fortunately, I have seen this happen quite a few times.  I call it the justice of the universe!

• sas-schatzi

Haunti-------this is here in USA Chrissy's In AUSTRAlia--------it may be the same in both places -------many teachers and nurses in my family. All is the same too what you have said. The public has no idea what either group puts in in hours. I used to be asked on occasion to be taken to my car in awheelchair cuz i was going to get there any other way. It's hard to tell we only hear about the slackers.

• chrissyb

Hauntie,  I wasn't saying all teachers and I'm not sure what the education is like in the US but here in some cases it really leaves a lot to be desired but its not the only occupation with that problem.  I was actually trying to advocate for the kids who are a little slower at learning and need a bit more time but it seems that that is too hard and it is easier to teach bright children who learn easily so those slower ones just get shoved under the carpet and forgotten about.  If you disect all proffessional occupations you will find there are the good and bad in all of them.

No apology neccessary Huantie, this is just a discussion.

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy, I used too think that too--------you know what I've gone through in the last three years starting in August and the daughter of an ugly roach, keeps on going making high money -and makes even more money if she can show greater productivity than a 100%----------which means the staff is working short staffed------duh--------I had to tell an assistant nurse manager one time when she so proudly stated that we were working at 123% of productivity-------do you understand that means we are short staffed------she looked at me blankly---------she was a manager and didn't get it

• chrissyb

Shiela we only hear about the slackers because they are the ones that make the most noise.......all the others are head down butt up doing their job.

• chrissyb

It is a shame that the dull ones somehow outshine the bright at times......and just because you have a managerial position doesn't mean you earned it.........lots earn it by kissing .......well you kknow what I mean.

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy I agree, I taught medics for 10 years------the challenge was the ones that were stumped by something. The joy was to come up with and analogy that caused them to finally get it. I'd always watch the eyes for what I coined a word for "the Flash"  At the moment of insight when they got it--there was this slight brightening of the eye. It was only there for a moment ---hence Flash. After that they didn't need me , they knew. It was so cool. I hated it if I missed the Flash.

It was like crossing into a different world. It was now in their brain and no one could take it from them--------what a nice memory

• Hauntie

I work in special ed, so most of the teachers I work with are SPED teachers. It takes a special calling to work with these kids - not just the ones with delays and physical disabilities. We are seeing more and more kids with behavioral and psych issues. One of those kids in a class of 25 can cause so much chaos, its hard for the other kids to learn, but every child in the US is entitled to a free and public education - so we do our best to make sure every child gets what they need.

Ok - my sneakers are tied. My pedometer is clipped on. I AM going for that walk.Laughing

• chrissyb

Over the years I have taught lots of people lots of things and that light on moment is priceless I agree.  When it happens you just know that it is learned and will never be forgotten...........it's like the sigh of satisfaction.

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy-------oh Good ness in nursing that is way to prevalent. AND people that are getting into managerial positions who never worked a t the bedside , but have advanced degrees which qualify them for high managerial positions.

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy--watch for the Flash with the grandkids, I'm sure you have seen it many times and took joy in it, but may have not necessarily applied it to older learners. It never stops. The brain is always joyful at new and unexpected learning

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy---------isn't it neat--corny but true--------we have both seen the same thing and know what it means