INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

BRP break

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Hauntie teachers who go into SPED are special and have very special skills and the patience of a saints in most cases you need to have a vocation to do that.  What Shiela and I are lamenting is that it doesn't seem that the people taking up these occupations have the vocation like they had many years ago.  I remember hearing things like that person was born to do whatever the job was..........now, it is very rare that you get people seemingly born to do a specific job.  It seems that jobs now are just pay packets in many cases.

• chrissyb

Shiela, I have seen it many times with the grands and it is so special.  I also saw it alot when I was a cub leader and teaching the boys a complicated knot......it's very interesting to see them fumble and then just get it!!!

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy--I think Haunti is running now. It's tough working with Special ed kids. They have mainstreamed here in the USA for may be 15 years by law. As Hauntie said you get one emh kid, emotionally handicapped, kid in a room and it can disrupt the whole class. But it's the law. All the other kids may have their education disrupted and they have no recourse.

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy, with the adults the same thing would happen. There were a few students that in order to get them to understand the math of how to figuire a drug dose , I would set up a mock up  of every single step from order to delivery.  will finish shatzi needs to go out

• chrissyb

By law we also have to give every kid an education but some kids find it difficult to learn, they are not handicapped nor do they have a disability they just don't learn the way most kids do.  Some kids are visual and some kids mental and its usually the visual ones that get pushed to the side because they struggle with mental concepts.  If the concepts can be demonstrated there is no problem they also get the flash moment but a lot of teachers can't be bothered to do the demonstration and that is what upsets me because of their attitude, that child is missing out.  Oh here I go again ....on the soap box.....I think it best if we just leave that one alone now.

• chrissyb

Shiela, I'll be right back I jus need to warm up some food.  Won't be long.

• chrissyb

I'm back!

• sas-schatzi

Me too

• chrissyb

Didn't realise how hungry I was until I started to eat!    Warmed up Spaghetti bolognaise.....yumm....now I will be burping all night.....LOL!

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy, if you reread my last post we are saying , again the identical thing, there are those that  can apply it once, they figuire out how the concept goes along with the action. One young man , I could not get the seriousness of the concept of sterility across to him, until I explained at any other school he would have already been flunked out, but I knew he just wasn't taking it seriously. Then I gave him and either /or,  and -the or was do you really want to be a medic. Your choice. Let him think about it. He got it right. He went on to become a doc. I often wonder what kind of teacher as a doc he became. There are multiple examples, like this . It's the only reason I stuck with that job as long as I did b/c there were way to many big wigs to keep happy. What I cared about was the students.

• chrissyb

Yes you are right, we are on the same page, but I don't think I expressed myself well to Hauntie and she got the wrong idea of what I was trying to say......oh well, if she reads the reat of the posts later it should be okay.  I truly didn't want to demean those who take their job seriously.

• sas-schatzi

c-----There was this one student who just had a hell of a time getting some of the concepts of EKG's-----he and another student from his town drove an hour in each direction for class twice a week besides clinical. He was close to failure on EKG's. I did all the tutoring. It wasn't able to be in his schedule except on Sunday mornings. I said ok if your their I'm there. They analogies I had to come up with him to get him to understand how the tracings compared to the heart activity. to be continued to let you know i'm still here

• chrissyb

okay

• sas-schatzi

C------he would say I just don't get it--------------then I'd say okay just give me a minute and I'll come up with something else. He finally got it all. At graduation, he told me I was the first teacher that ever believed he could learn and that believed in him. Talk about a WOW.  He knocked my socks off with that one---or heels. Last I heard he had become a lieutenant, but that was along time ago. I had alot of great students , but the ones I remember the most are the ones that had trouble, but kept on plugging. One that bothered me most, is I picked up a35 y/o that  likely had dyslexia and refused to be tested. He had been able to cover for so many years and I could not convince him that it didn't mean the end of his career, but a beginning b/c he could be taught by more skilled people than me how to manage it. He was on a fire department that if it came out he was dyslexic, he'd likely be fired. He didn't make medic The department I"m sure knew, but he was a legacy. So, that one oh well. But so many other stories.................It's now 7 am . what time is it there?

• sas-schatzi

I'm supposed to be at a party at 3pm -----might chose to just stay up---------i hate this damn insomnia. Doc wants to put me on another drug, i'll try the melatonin first.

• chrissyb

Shiela it's now 8.49pm.  You really should try to get a little sleep before you go to the party.  You will end up falling over if you don't as you know, lack of sleep can do things to you.  Please try the Melatonin...I thought you had already got some. 

• sas-schatzi

C ------well forgot to get melatonin when  I went for my other stuff ,cuz I had shatz in the car with the motor running, so the air was on and the door unlocked ---------not that this particular area is a hi jack area , but I grew up in Detroit and still have never lost those ingrained fears----okay  to bed it is perhaps . I will look like hell, if i look to bad I'm just enough vain not to go

But it has been lovely as usual dear Chrissy, you sleep well friend--Namaste sheila

• chrissyb

Yes Shiela we always have very intersting conversation.  You sleep well my dear - Namaste to you.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369

Back from my walk on the beach. It was low tide, so I was able to walk on the firm sand near the shore - 2 1/4 miles. Before knee surgery I wouldn't have been able to do 1/8 of a mile. Hips are sore, but knees feel fine. The artists were just finishing up the sand sculptures. They're pretty incredible, but I think last year's were better. To see what I'm talking about go to http://reverebeach.com/2010/10/2011-sand-sculpting-festival-to-be-held-july-14th-18th/ Have a good day everyone. Will probably be talking to you tonight or early am tomorrow.

• chrissyb

Thanks Haunie, I'll check them out.  Glad you got to walk on firm sand!!!  Catch you later!

• MRDRN
    MRDRN Member Posts: 177

HHauntie, they are so cool !  Thanks for sharing.  I so wanted to go to the beach today ...maybe later this month.  I envy folks who live there in the summer.  It is a two hour drive for me so doable for day trip.

Sas, what does he want you to take?  Do you ever just try Advil PM?  or you beyond that...I know I am

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466

Okay, I'm back 17 hours ago, on page 118 (man! you guys talk fast!) and wanted to mention to Nancy that the National Lymphedema Network guidelines for flying when at risk for lymphedema are here:
    http://www.lymphnet.org/pdfDocs/nlnairtravel.pdf

Odd as it may seem, it's very important when flying to drink LOTS of water. It helps dilute the lymph fluid and keep it moving. Lymph contains protein, and protein molecules are large, so if you become dehydrated those large molecules "plug up" the lymph flow and can cause swelling.

Hope some of that helps. Bon voyage!
    Binney

• sas-schatzi

Hi all-got 6 hrs of sleep ---didn't look saggy baggy eyeballs thank you GOD--------went to party had a lovely time---------Hope all had a good Sat.  LOVE you all , but hope I don't see you tonight. LOL.

Haunti awesome that you are walking that well. Sand even firm is a true extra workout. It's strange how it works every muscle of the whole lower extremity like nothing else---a wonder. Namaste

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369

I think my midnight ride, a few days ago, finally caught up with me. After my walk on the beach, I came home, showered, and sat in my recliner - where I promptly felll asleep. I slept off and on all day. I went to bed at 10:00. Just got up to use the bathroom and stopped to check the forum. Where is everyone?

• chrissyb

I'm here!!!   I think everyone else is sleeping!!!   lol

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,510

Sleeping?! Pshaw!

• chrissyb

Hi Judith, how are you tonight?  Hope it's a slow one as far as spammers go!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• MRDRN
    MRDRN Member Posts: 177

I actually got up several times as usual but went back to sleep YAH!  Hi Chrissy :)   We are now reading the Sunday paper.  DC Public Schools fired over 200 teachers this week for incompetence.  I guess since the commissioner started a couple years ago, "cleaning house" they haven't stopped!  Hope our kids in the Nation's Captial bring up their test scores, and other evidence of learning.  This was based on five observation periods for 30 min throughout the year. I guess it is better than firing the last hired if they have to do budget cuts.  Don't want to start anything...but just relating a Washington Post news story today

• chrissyb

Hi MRDRN interesting article and timely if you look at our discussion of the other night....lol.   You just never know do you?.  Glad you got reasonable sleep last night!