Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

really irritated, set it up so I get notified on my new cell when this thread gets updated. But, I'm not getting the notification chirp in a timely manner (like usually after I check into BCO), just plain sucks...

And I think even a small amount of caffeine screws up my sleep. Just had a little half-caf yesterday before noon, maybe that's my sleep robber. It was raining last night, just listening to the rain was soothing but I was wide awake. No coffee today. So busy job searching I missed lunch too. Now, hot cocoa is sounding yummy.....

Hey, Sassy, are you there?

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

The list below is the list that's discussed in the AARP article. Each class of drugs in the article describes how they cause a problem.  The average BC patient is going to have 1,4,5,8,10. Then figure in anesthesia drugs & chemo. It's a wonder that we have any brain cells left.

Drugs That May Cause Memory Loss 

1. Antianxiety drugs
    2. Cholesterol drugs
    3. Antiseizure drugs
    4. Antidepressant drugs
    5. Narcotic painkillers
    6. Parkinson's drugs
    7. Hypertension drugs
    8. Sleeping aids
    9. Incontinence drugs
    10. Antihistamines

There is a very good drug source called dailymed.org. Can't remember if I wrote about it recently here or STFU. Ah it was here with Chrissy about Klacid(?) Clarithromycin. There is so much about this web site that is good. Believe it or not it was produced by nih.gov. Shouldn't be that snippy about NIH. It's actually one of the better government divisions.

But did catch them in a possible fraud situation. I was searching candling for Chevyboy. By the time I got done, I was looking for a congressmen to take the FDA, NIH, and NCCAM to task for some VERY bad research. From that very bad research rules were produced  through the Federal Trade Commission that restricted the trade and importation of candling materials. Safety Alerts were issued by the FDA against candling as being unsafe practice. All this was based on one study done in 1996 on 8---yes only eight people. No other studies produced to support or deny the validity of the study. AND the study was of the caliber of a middle school student. I was not pleased.

I did find a congressmen worthy to take them all on though. He's the one that chaired the committee trying to determine why there was the shortage of certain drugs in 2009. Some chemo drugs went into short supply. I'll put the link at the end. It is likely going to become an economics 101 lesson forever.or at least a hundred years. If you decide to read in your spare time. Rea the conclusion first and then the whole study.

The shortages was caused by three, maybe four, independent occurrences, that no one predicted or thought of.  As a result, the shortages are predicted to go into 2016.

http://oversight.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/6-15-2012-Report-FDAs-Contribution-to-the-Drug-Shortage-Crisis.pdf

Yoo hoo2nd

• sas-schatzi

Hello maddy, I'm just babbling on. Sorry you're not sleeping.

• sas-schatzi

Well this New gal, is just wonderful. I'm really motivated b/c of her. Today wasn't planned till two days ago. I needed her to be here, it was great she wasn't scheduled elsewhere. I love a clean house, but I detest housework. But house works fun if I'm doing it with someone else. I see a light at the end of the tunnel with her. I know I can get back to pre 2008 shape with her.

Did we discuss Neil med sinus rinse?

• sas-schatzi

Going to get that link be back in 2 minutes--honest. s

• 2nd_time_around

sassy, you're not babbling, very interesting! But how could they possibly conduct a study on (if I read that right) only 8 people? How legit is that? Way too small sample. I take cholesterol drug (Crestor) wonder if that contributes to my sleeplessness. Antihistamine/decongestants just make me konk out.

Also, curious about "SAS-Schatzi" - initials + ?? Find it amusing when I'm asked about 2TA, thought it would be obvious.

• sas-schatzi

Hi I'm back

• 2nd_time_around

don't know, did we discuss the rinse? I use the ore-made saline packets too. Last batch was like $10 for 100 packets, seemed cheaper than an Rx. Is there a problem with them?

Ok, now I'm wide awake

• 2nd_time_around

great, just got notifications from 10:17 to 10:31 posts (at 10:34), not what I call timely

• sas-schatzi

Well that's what I said. I was shocked. It was a horrible study. Shouldn't have been taken seriously at all. Krips we can fit 8 people at most dinner tables. terrible science. An embarrassment . But the guy that chaired the committee on drug shortages would be a good guy to have look at it.

If they FDA, NCCAM can do such slipshod work on something like candling, what else are they messing up on.

• sas-schatzi

The AARP article was on memory , not sleeplessness.

sas is me, schatzi is my dog

• sas-schatzi

On OMG way back befoe page 100 our stuff was being quoted on fb. So everyone scrambled to make themselves less visible. That's why I took off my Bio stuff. One thing to share here. Totally a different thing to share on fb.

• sas-schatzi

On the neil rinse, nope I've never heard of them. Are they easy to use?

• sas-schatzi

2nd, 2ta was pretty descriptive I thought.  I wish I had done something creative like some of the names, but like I said at the time. We all changed names or avatars. It was confusing for a day or so.

• sas-schatzi

I don't think your getting chirped again. How does that work. And is that what it means when every so often I hear a "ding"". Is that an email alert. LOL, been on the computer since 1996 and just figuring this out. Oh too funny.

• 2nd_time_around

ok, can't copy & paste from my iPad:

Check: www.neilmed.com/usa

• Pawprint
    Pawprint Member Posts: 354

Hi there,

Thanks for the pm 2nd.wow you were out in the inclement weather job hunting ? Something will come through for you.

...I am in pain, just took a heavy duty norco and penicillin. The uterer stent pokes me so I am moving slow. Talked to kidney doc today and set up my second surgery for Monday Dec 2. I am still peeing glass...bloody glass ( sorry for the graphics). Ugh just want this over with now.

Well SAS, I was trying to understand the research you talked about but between my Vicodin pain meds and my Arimidex estrogen sucking cancer med, you totally lost me :-)

I'll just hang back until my drug induced state of mind tempts me to say something, hopefully comprehensible.

• sas-schatzi

Okay I'll go look up neil rinse and see what dailymed has to say. be back in a flash

• sas-schatzi

Hi BD

• 2nd_time_around

ok, catching up.... Neilmed has saline packets and a squeeze bottle. Fill water bottle to the line, heat gently in micro, add saline packet. Squeeze bottle easiest and just enough pressure instead of sniffing/snorting. Convenient. I use distilled water.

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense.

Ok, my phone. Had a (dumb) Blackberry I was very happy with, just had simple uses...

Oops, DD home, will submit so I don't lose and continue later......

• sas-schatzi

Bd I can so empathize with you.  I passed two stones. One in sept2012---9pm till 1:15am, then again in nov 2012--from Monday till saturday. They had to be bladder stones though cuz I only had urtheral pain. The Sept 2012 stone came out INTACT. I studued it for a little while then I threw it away. I couldn't believe it the next day. It was LIKE--WHAT WAS I THINKING. 40 years of straining urine to catch stone debris and I have a fully intact stone and throw it away. It was beautiful. Fushia, spiculated, with a thingy  like the tools symbol that was pearlized and embedded in the spikes. The GU doc said he so wished he had seen it. He's never seen one that was intact. Google the words "spiculated and kidney stone" You will see why they hurt so much. The 2nd stone was all shards. Mine only went the few inches of the urethra. The hell you are going through -----so sorry.

I quit aromasin and micalcin after the first stone. Actually I'd quit aromasin a few days before it. BUT still suspicious of the AI involvement.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Hi goils! Been busy today so DH is getting piza for dinner for us both so no cooking tonight!.....yipeeee!

Got news! I am officially and great aunt again to a darling baby boy! My younger sister MMS'd me this afternoon with the news. I am so happy for my nephew and his wife as they have been trying for six years..........she did well with the birth and he was a big boy, 8lb 13oz........apparently only one stitch was required after.......good for her!

• sas-schatzi

2nd, I'm going to try and sleep. I'll be back if it doesn't work. Enjoy your DD :)

• 2nd_time_around

well, that was quick, hi mom, see ya....

Anyway, BD, lol, no! Not exactly, job searching on the Internet, in my kick-back clothes. Had plans to leave tonite to go to a mtg but once I start something I sometimes get consumed. Somewhat disturbing, distressing I can't seem to find anything even with a BA (Paych). Everyone says a college degree is so important but couldn't tell by me.. Enough of that... Dec 2? Yikes? Hoping you have some strong pain meds.... Hoping you get time off from work.

Edited: lots of "somes" in that paragraph...

My old phone... Worked well for me, just the basics: text, emails, lots of space for notes/lists/memos, music, but the phone service sucked! Lots of failed connections, dropped calls, couldn't get/make calls from home. Then, it started randomly deleting things (contacts, files, ringtones, texts, emails) all by itself. I would set it on a table and watch it do it. As fast as I would write out a text, it would delete faster. So, needed a new one. Can't afford an I-phone, DD thinks the Samsung Galaxy is too difficult for me (she doesn't know I used to program main-frame computers back in the olden days!) so I compromised with the smartphone/android I got. I have texts, emails on it but refuse to put FB on it (not sure about BCO, but wouldn't want the constant updates on my phone). Don't want to be totally tied to it. I'm old school, still prefer maps or checking visually checking driving routes, don't care for GPS. ....

• 2nd_time_around

anywho, prefer to submit little instead of losing my chain of thought....

My phone has a "dink" notification for texts and "chirp" for emails (plus some other random tones I can't figure out) so I know the difference. Wish the silly thing notified me of emails when they show up on the iPad or the Mac but it takes so much longer). I don't get it: they all use the wifi so why the difference? Still figuring this thing out.

Now I'm rambling.... Showing how old and old-school I am. Lol!

• 2nd_time_around

cool, or not cool, just got chirped (at 11:30) for 10:52 and on posts... Grrrrrr! Need to catch up!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Maddy I get so annoyed with my smart phone as for some reason sometimes it used way more battery that has been required for what I've used..........did that make sence?.......lol. I sometimes go three days without having to charge and then sometimes I have to charge everyday and the usage has been the same from me .......makes me think it's doing things while I'm not watching......lol.........well they do call them 'smart' phones!

• 2nd_time_around

Hi Chrissy, congrats to you and your family! Six years? Turned out fabulously! When do you get to meet your great-nephew? yay for pizza! Woo-hoo, no clean-up! Friday afternoon there? Perfect for end of week dinner!

oh, that's the other thing, my old phone's battery needed to be recharged every couple hours. Didn't make it thru a 24-hour day! Kept running of power.

Sassy, hoping you managed to fall asleep, way late where you are.

Watching Jimmy Kimmel, people are already camping out for Black Friday, some are calling Thanksgiving "Brown Thursday", WTH?

• 2nd_time_around

tired now and calling it a night... TGIF all!

• Pawprint
    Pawprint Member Posts: 354

Chrissyb

HaHa made me laugh that your phone is doing things when you are not watching. Might want to check the history, and see what apps are being opened....dont leave a credit card near your phone cause that would be too tempting :-)

2nd, I am old school too. I used to have blackberry, but now have iPhone. I use it for personal and work. I won't put FB on it. Like to separate things and not have everything in one place. I don't like how Christmas has become so commercialized either. The world needs to slow down its crazy fast pace instant gratification mentality....

SAS....I can't believe I am saying this, but your kidney stone sounded beautiful. Too bad you trashed it. I started getting kidney stones after starting Arimidex....not sure of any connection but strange coincidence. The pain is beyond insane. Going to analyse the next stone, but appears to be uric acid so will have to eliminate protein. Will know more once it's analysed.