Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

Cami, With insomnia when we exceed loss of sleep after  X hours, our nervous systems start to go haywire. That is a similar thing to alcohol & drug withdrawal, the nervous system goes haywire after a period of abstinence. What I'm hoping to see is whether there is or isn't a correlation of being able to use the assessment form. If the assessment form is useful. Then consideration should be given to using the treatment  protocol.

Cami this is really a question about the nervous system, you aren't withdrawing from anything :)

When Buddy used the word "electrified", it reminded me of a time in nursing school when I worked something like ten night shifts in a row. By the end of that period my fatigue was immense. My reflexes were hyper. Severe startle reflex to noise and touch. I said to myself this morning "HOLY CHIT", that's just like what someone going through withdrawal acts----flash>>>>CIWA scale.

Basically, this is the beginning of a science experiment.

1.The question: Does insomnia signs and symptoms compare to aicohol & drug withdrawal signs and symptoms as written in the CIWA scoring tool, making the use of the treatment protocol a consideration?

2. Hypothesis: Sign and symptoms of insomnia can be measured by use of the CIWA scale, therefore, the use of the CIWA treatment protocol would be a correct approach in treating insomnia

3.Procedure to prove hypothesis: Obtain subjects that will complete the CIWA scale. Ideal would to use the scale for a defined time and collect the data.

If this were a full blown science experiment, there would be much more in the method used to test the hypothesis. BUT right now I would like to see if anyone identifies that the CIWA scale applies to them. Most here have experienced insomnia.

Your score of zero at present is expected b/c it has gone on sooooo long you are accostomed to it. Plus, you do nap and sleep when you want too. Compare that to not being able to sleep for 24/48/72/96 hours. Cami take another look at the score sheet and think of your WORST time---no sleep exceeding 24 hours--- of having insomnia and score yourself.

Cami the difference between the question and the hypothesis IS the hypothesis is a "declarative "statement---which means "this is true". The procedure after the hypothesis either proves the hypothesis or disproves it. Cool EH?

• sas-schatzi

Ginger and Gumby HELLLOOOOOOOooot :) sassy---Nap time before dinner party :)

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

hi luv.  We found a barely used camper.  It was an 8 hour drive to check it out So on the off chance it would work out we loaded up the truck. It worked and here we are.  Got to be back home by Feb 12 for my MO appt. Other than that I just sit back and relax.  Hubby is a much better DRI er than I.

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484

So you bought the camper and left from there, Oregon if I remember. What luck. I don't think I've ever been in a truck camper. So where are you off to from Phoenix with oh about a month yet to spare?

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258

YOU Cammi, don't see a "correlation"?  I don't even know what that is.  I don't even know what  "WD" is.... You mean like WD 40?  I barely even know what Insomnia is, other than you gals all being able to DO that very well!  

Cammi, wish I could come take you to your appointments....  We would get all dressed up in your flannel pajamas, with the feet in them, and carry slippers around for in case it's wet out.... And I would sit and make you laugh before your appointments....   I would tell you dirty-jokes!  I could even bring questionable pictures!  And I would listen to those Doctors of yours, and question them extensively!  I would take notes.... for you to remember stuff when you got home.

Then after your appointments, we would to go lunch.... Like find the biggest hamburger joint in the State!   And I would take care of you....  What's this about a door-knob?

I just don't pay any attention to you when you are thinking you aren't thinking right....   So after this busy day of ours, I'll drive you home, tuck you in bed with Joey and Katy-kat,  and sing to you until you fell asleep.  Day is done.  And you are better.

I had a scary thought.... You know, NOW that weed is supposedly everywhere....  They are arresting these nuts for being high AND drunk!   I mean driving and drinking is bad enough, but now they can also smoke marajuana and what's to stop them from drinking?  AND DRIVING.  Nothing.   These people who were all hell bent on passing the law to legalize marajuana are going to get what they wished for!     Maybe I should join the Womens Temperance Union, and make all that stuff illegal....LoopyLoopy

Okay, never mind....

I just KNOW I am getting old....  Maybe growing up with an over abundance  of alcohol all around me, has warped my brain.... shut up little miss Cammiknob....   Guess I just don't have any patience anymore.... or is it I can just say what I WANT to say, and not be afraid?  ha, ha!  That's what comes with age.

• Chevyboy

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418

Chevy, Is that a self-portrait...,or a fellow Coloradoan ( is that right ? ) after they have  visited your fine state with its hippie, free loving liberal thinking?

Holeinhead

• Chevyboy

Yes, that is me...!  Ha, ha!   Is it just me, or isn't anyone else worried?  I don't see any of this free-love stuff goin' on either! 

We live in this older part of Denver by where Old Elitch's used to be... In fact our neighbors a few houses up are 90 and 92!  We are the 2nd oldest ones in this whole block!  Everyone else is in their 30's...  And they all move into these new 3 story town-homes they are building... 

They tear down, or scrape the old houses, and put up these huge homes that sell for over 6 to 7 hundred thousand, for each side!  Some of the new tenants are single and have paid CASH!     So now our old neighborhood is young again!  Winking  The girls wear "skinny-jeans", are cute, and wear those winter ski hats!   

Our chicken neighbors  are the only ones with little kids.... everyone else is just either single, or not having kids yet....   But our neighbors help each other out... like shovel our front walk, etc!  

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484

I think Jazzy is busy at work so I'm going to post the uplifting thought she posted on The Hermits yesterday. Sorry for the size. I think we need this esp. after a day of beating ourselves up. And it still makes me cry but good cry.

• Chevyboy

That is beautiful, and the perfect size!

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985

Hi second Timer , when i asked my plastic S if she try the implant i wanted she said no. i asked her why she just said she picked the middle one, I asked again why? why did she made the decision before trying the other implant? she did not say she kept saying she chose what she thought would work best. I am sorry but i do not agree, I will not recommend this PS to any woman i feel she is very unprofessional i will never let her see my face again. All she kept saying is that we can do fat grafting later on, when i specifically told her i want to avoid fat grafting. Anyway i learned the hard way. I was not alone at my appointment, I have a witness that was chocked as per her answer. She had not right to change the plan without letting me  know. The next PS will have the size and implant in the consent form, i will request it , i have lost all trust in doctors. 

I am not saying all PS are the same, i am only telling my situation so others are prepared and can prevent it. 

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

Enerva, I'm sorry, it's not supposed to be like that. Your PS should be your best advocate, period. It's horrible that she did that.  No excuse. Time to find a new PS?

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985

I know, i found one but need to wait 3 months, to be honest i am praying that my skin shrinks so i dont have more surgery but its been 3 weeks and its not changing :( i already cry yesterday after i took my sister to the airport. i was pretending to be ok with it so she could not go home and tell my other relatives i am a mess. I tell you i am not looking at my breast cuz i am getting so depressed. I just hope no body goes through this, i was supposed to be done. :( i mean all my hope was in my exchange surgery. Anyway it is what it is. I ll keep positive 

• sas-schatzi

Enerva----so sorry, PM coming.

• sas-schatzi

Littlegoats and Jazzy, wish I'd made a practice of that from early life. I did start each morning with a prayer that whatever I did that day brought no harm to anyone.

Dear son put a contract in on a condo---third floor. The inspection showed termites inside one bedroom wall. He had the typical contingencies--passing the inspections is one. My feeling is walk away. A single family detached home may successfully be treated, but a building. The fact that it's third floor tells me the connection from the ground is significant.

Does anyone have experience with this?

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922

No personal experience, but I would walk away as well. Thank goodness he had the inspection.

• 2nd_time_around

I agree, can't be good,  especially on the third floor. There has to be a better place.

• sas-schatzi

I now know more than I ever cared to know about termites yuck.

The termite inspection was a different person than the regular inspection person. It was an additional 75$. Great  lesson.

BTW--they are drywood termites --this type does not need contact with the ground they gain entry through cracks and can even be brought in by furniture. But cracks in the wood around windows and doors are the common entry point.

• Njmom3
    Njmom3 Member Posts: 39

Hi night owls.  I am new to this thread. Since my mx on 12/20 I have my days and nights mixed up. I force myself to sleep by 2am, then I'm up and down all day.  I used to be asleep by 10p and up by 5a.  I don't know what happened but I don't want this to be the new normal.  Any suggestions?

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

OMG - I have to set my alarm for 7:00 a.m. tomorrow!!!! Bawling

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

Hi all

Can't write much have optical migraine. Wish it would go.

Those owlettes on the east should be asleep.

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

Hi NJ, I'm sorry u have this problem, but there are times we've all had it but it comes and goes---do u have any meds u can take to help u sleep? Some of us take them whenever we need them. So u can ask u Dr. They're usually pretty good about meds to help get thru a lot of stuff.

OK Sas I get the idea about withdrawal now, but I just didn't look at it that way, I always likened non sleeping, well especially for long periods, to be more manicy. mot withdrawally cuz I think of that like being cold and sweating and shakey--where as manic I think of as wired and u'r in overdrive, then u crash some. U know how I think mostly lopsided. LOL

Chevy don't I wish u would be with me for my tests we would be laffin' all the time=then I would be put away and I'd drag u with me, and have all kinds of havoc. But fun havoc. )Is that the right word?)

Enerva I'm sorry all that stuff is going on, recon is not a simple of a thing that most of us think. But with a new PS maybe it will be.

Sas I hope u'r son drops that deal--one termite means they are inviting all their friends and reltives to live with them and babies come. So no, no, no,

• camillegal

Oh BTW Chevy why do u think just cuz u do pot u drink too. Now hypothetically )good word for me) I know people that would rather do pot than drink, therefore no drinking and they are responsible users cuz then they don't drive--This is mere fiction on my part--Disclaimer I know no one that does any illegal pot in any form.

• 2nd_time_around

Oh no, Blessings, say it isn't so!!!

I actually had to set my alarm this morning, got up without it half hour early. No fun. Hoping I get some sleep tonight.

I also get to eat some humble pie. My youngest DB sent me a message last night he was in the area on business. Turns out he couldn't make earlier plans because the plans kept changing. Wanted me to meet him this afternoon at my parents, haven't seen him in over 5 years. He finally got to see where my parents moved to and why this is such a perfect place for them and how much mom's Alz has progressed. He hasn't figured out that the best thing is not to engage her when she's talking crazy-talk.

• 2nd_time_around

Hi Alyson! Sorry for the headache! The east coasters may be asleep but for us west coasters, it's still early (10 pm)  How was the heat by you? (if you get to read this)

• Holeinone

Welcome budrfligal...Gingerbrow...& Njmom.....

Garden Gumpy, maybe you could swing by, & take Cami to the shrink, we are all so jealous you are on the road, living the "good life". Colorado might have some interesting souvenirs. 

Luvmygoats, cute cartoon, read it several times, think its going to say "did not accomplish anything". Lol

Alyson, hope the headache  is easing up, I watched some tennis today, thought about you & the heat..

Night all......golfgirl

• Holeinone

Sas, how was the dinner party? 

• camillegal

image Guess what day it is???

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,969

Luvmygoats- glad you like the posting about being kinder to ourselves. It really touched you and maybe helps us all? It comes off the Hippie Peace Freaks page on Facebook. They have many great posts there (the woman who hosts the page is from New Zealand). If you are on FB, like it and you will find many good things there too. Many loving and kind postings about making the world a bit better place.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,969