Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985

Hi, yes i am feeling better, trying to stay away from the mirror and catching up with all the posts. 

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

morning owlettes. We are without service so much of the time that I cannot keep up.  We are currently in Tucson area.. have been for a few days as it is so pleasantly warm during the day.  I have an MO appt in the middle of Feb so will need to head homewards in the not distant future. Hubby had wanted to get to the gulf coast but I think that will probably be a next winter trip.

Does anyone know how to handle stopping the mail for long periods? I could only see a way to do it for a month.  Next year we are certain to be gone much longer.

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

GG I don't have a clue, I thought they stopped it as long as u wanted them too.  So u'r out and about having a nice trip--Good for you.

Ginger- I voted--it's done.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

Golf Girl--------it's such a hoot thrifting, I just decluttered 4 loads of collected stuff. Now I have more room to put my finds. This last trip I saw a vase 65$. Fairly sure it was American Brilliant Cut --ABC glass wasn't made after 1917. Tried to point out to the owner that if it were ABC, it's value was in the range of 300-400$ or greater. Could tell she had no knowledge of glass. Her comment was that she picked things up at estate sales and put prices on things where she thought might be reasonable. Basically , she blew me off. I did snap up three items from her shelves----great low prices. a gorgeous bowl done to mimic ABC, very high quality pressed glass, a round covered pewter butter dish with glass insert, an unique candle stick.

Then at the SPCA thrift found a restaurant grade silver pie server. Totally black, now gorgeous after cleaning. 5$. Restaurant grade silver is very nice b/c it's so durable. Stands up to being thrown in the dishwasher.

May have boobooed on buying two bamboo chairs b/c they may be difficult to paint or redo, but at ten dollars each not much of a loss. They are in the Art Deco style, if they were in a South Beach thrift store, much higher price. But that's the fun of thrifting--THE TREASURE AND THE DEAL.

DEAR SON walked away from the condo with the termites. It was a great lesson for him. He wanted it so bad, but went through all the questioning of the experts and mom( I once had a Real Estate licence). Then after 2 1/2 days he made his decision.

Enerva glad your feeling better. Wish those foobs weren't making you so sad. Sorry.

Gumby, glad you are having such a good time. Talked with SIL. They are snowbirds. Re: mail The hold &starts can be done on line with US post office Forwards of first class mail can be done. There's a different process for 2nd class mail. 3rdclass won't be forwarded. She said there are paid services that will manage your mail. Need plan for medications by mail, Netflix and other services. Being an RV'er, she said, for example, you know you are going to be at a particular address on a certain date, you can have all mail forwarded to that address on a date just prior to arrival, then not after by a resuming the hold mail order.

• sas-schatzi

H-I-1, just came back to pg 243, and saw your post about having o fight to get something for sleep and anxiety. WTF. What planet are these docs on. What about PCP? Ambien is scary shit. I wouldn't take it if it were the last drug on earth. Frankly, I can't believe it wasn't pulled from the marketplace after all the horror stories. Ativan is a safe and effective drug. Please, ask your RO why he won't prescribe it? Interested in his rationale. IMHO he is wrong, but more and more docs are afraid of prescribing controlled substances. So, instead of instructing the patient on how to manage this, they take the easy way out and prescribe a lesser scheduled drug(not controlled).

I do believe that all controlled substances should be obtained from one doc. Even if a doc wants to give me something i.e after sx. I tell them I will only get a script from my PCP. The DEA is tracking these things much more tightly then previously. Last couple of years. By only going through one doc, no one can complain that you're doctor shopping for drugs. Besides your PCP knows or should know your whole hx and med regimen-----avoids problems of inappropriate meds being given together, or drugs given that are hurtful to you based on a medical condition that the RO/MO aren't well versed in.  GG-did I make that clear or is it confusing?

Chevy that animated eye on pg 243. is just like the last few minutes of one of my optic migraines Is it the same for you? In fact just started one LOL.

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418

Sas, thanks for helping, I waited 6 months, kinda my own fault, my mantra has always been "suffer in silence". I had 2 meltdowns with the RO. But I did get in with my PCP, last time I saw her she told me my biopsy report. She is a great gal, I thought I could handle all this, or the MO would take care of me. So she put me on several meds to get through the next few months or so. Yes, I got Antivan...

So, I am hopping in the car to the big city, Boise. The fog has got me a little concerned but need a change of scenery. I might hit a thrift store. I will report back Sunday afternoon.

Hugs to all....

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922

Back to depression/insomnia. One of the first signs of depression for me is waking at 3:30-4:00am. Another is walking in front of cars. Needless to say, I never have to wait for an appointment.

• Enerva

Now that you mentioned i finally call an office to see about depression, i think i have it and i have been saying oh no its not depression its reality lol but when you wake up in the middle of the night and  you  can stop thinking about what bc has done to your life, yaa i think i am depressed. I am not sure i need medication maybe i just need to learn to deal with my new life instead of trying to be the old me. Am I the only one trying to do that? 

• wren44

Enerva, You might not need medication, but talking to a counselor who sees cancer patients might be a big help. We're all trying to deal with our new lives, but a little help never hurts. That waking up in the middle of the night doesn't seem to help anything. Who has cheerful thoughts at 3:30am?

• sas-schatzi

Enerva, Wrens right, oh so right. The counselor is oh so the most important. B/C it make take a few tries to find the right person that fits you. Meds may be required , but the therapist his key to navigating the maze.

Depression didn't hit my radar until June. My dx was Jan 23rd officially, BMX 18th FEB, a corrective sx Mar, Apr almost killer chemo, 7 days later Dh dx'd lymphoma, DH started chemo May----Sx for me in June & july    -June, I'm reading a book on dogs and people----Chapter on Happiness>>>sat straight up in bed and said "shit we're both depressed." Thankfully, I had the name of a great counselor in the rolledex that I'd gotten for a neighbor. Called , but first available appointment was July. He was a great fit for the two of us, but that may not be so in everyone's case.

Ever since then I've recommended to get into a counselor asap after dx. That way the relationship is established. BECAUSE the chits going to hit the fan sooner or later. The time to find a therapist is not when you've reached a crisis.

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997

Do you all sleep during the day or just not sleep? I am still awake but I imagine I will pass out in a few hours. I woke up yesterday at 3PM and am still up.  If I would take a lorazepam every night I probably could get on a schedule but I resist taking the meds. Crazy crazy. Now I am nervous about the MRI results. 

Hugs Ginger. 

• Enerva

Oh thanks for the info, my Bmx was in march, i finished rad in June but i was so strong till July when my mom past away, its just the drop that over fill my glass, i took care of my mom for 3 years she had dementia and she had a very hard life, so i took her to live with me and then bc came, i had to hide most of what i was going through from her and i think that is what made me depress its just too many things that came my way. Now the exchange surgery was kind of not great so more to my plate. But i am ok i am glad i know it could be worse but i feel i do need a counselor after talking to ladies here i feel somehow better so i think i do need to see someone. the nights i sleep is with pills cuz i cant get back to normal on my own it sucks.  

• sas-schatzi

Ginger your bio says you are struggling with the AI's and now on tamox-----all cause insomnia.. Many drugs do, put them together,----no sleep. Sleep is the best gift you can give yourself. Read the stuff & links in the topic box. Give some serious study to melatonin. The combo of melatonin and Ativan finally got me some sleep. Thank God for ChrissyB telling me about melatonin.

At first the combo took about 2hrs to work. Then over about 3 wks, the time was less and less till it was <1/2 hr. Dunno why? It just was. I don't know if it was just me or what? Just in case you experienced the same thing, it's nice to know that may be keep it up for at least a month before you give up on it.

• sas-schatzi

Enerva-your mind, body , and soul have been under brutal attack. PTSD is common with BC. What other cancer surgeries require so many surgeries in one year? DUH--not many. Radical head & neck. Maybe colon with colostomy reversal---but that's usually 3-6 months apart. Maybe brain 1-2,.Not lung, not kidney,  We usually have 3-4. That's without complications. Throw in chemo/rads Girl you been through a war and you lost your MOM. Sorry about your MOM--hugs

• sas-schatzi

Teka OMG I've been radically attacking my closet, like it hasn't been in years. Being ruthless about pitching things.

Ever notice how hangers seem to spawn?

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Sas. PM coming at ya

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

Sorry, fell asleep shortly after last post.

Chevy - who told? Had my days and nights mixed up from day one, so I'm truly a night owl.i feel like I really belong here.

Cami, nothing we can do about earthquakes. They do sneak up on us, any time of day or night. No warning. You'd think I would get used to them by now, but it hasn't happens so far.

Blessings, did you get some rest?  A pj's day?

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600

sas, a co-worker and I once collaborated on an essay titled "The Sex Life of Coat  Hangers and Paper Clips.  Wish I still had a copy.

• sas-schatzi

Chabba, what a HOOT,..........The essay is probably still be sent around the globe. Hey post that joke about the nurse--very funny :)

• sas-schatzi

Maddy waving (((((------)))))0

• Enerva

Yes, you are all right ;) i need to give my body some time. I Love all your post even though i am most of the time lost lol

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,969

Hi Insomniacs- been sleeping long and deep lately and taking it in. Wishing the same for all of you. Love the photos and posts here about all the things we think about, or wish were not happening as we try to sleep. I look in the mirror and still see tired.

Had a good day today, hair cut and coloring, later a party for a friend who turned 60. Hope tomorrow is another good day, and for all of you too!

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418

Enerva, I agree with Sas, I really do not feel like I am depressed, so much to do & look forward to. But, I do feel like I have PTSD. Too much pain, and uncertainty. I went through this a few years back with diverticulitis & having 1/3 of my colon removed. I'm tough as nails during the process, and then when its time to get back into life, I fall apart. I wish I would of  been more pro-active on getting meds, but now I feel so much more confident, knowing that they are going to help me get my self together. This is very common with cancer. I have read about it many times. 

So, think about asking for something, you are a year ahead of me, with dx..you deserve to get your life & smile back.....

Golf girl

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

Hi everyone, I still call it aftershock--Our adrenelin runs high when we know we've been attacked by this effin disease but after the dust settles it goes into WTF has been happening--It's crazy cuz it can come and go (I think) for who knows how long after all new studies show Chemo-brain can be maybe 20 yrs for some--it started out as a short span and has moved up the ladder. So it's understandable for us to go thru crazy times at different times, cuz the thinking is always somewhere in our minds.

And I do watch comedies during the night so I hear myself LOLing, It's better than my crime shows.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

Ohhhh, Owlettes - have missed checking in here, and once again will skip individual shout-outs... promise to do better next time...

MIL is doing somewhat better. She is able to speak a bit more, eat a bit more, and smile a bit more, but sleeps most of the day.

Today was FIL's birthday, and of course ALL the crazy relatives went to the nursing home to celebrate. At one point, there were 12 people trying to crowd in to see Mom, and it's a tiny room, with a roommate.

We had already told Dad ahead of time that they needed to be quiet and respectful, and if they wanted to laugh and snort and visit loudly, to take it to the rec room. NOT in Mom's tiny side of the room. 

Did they listen? NOOOOOO!!! So DH and I got there early, spent some quality time with Mom and Dad, and when the lunatic hordes arrived, we split. Some people are so clueless, and downright RUDE. Mom copes well. She just closes her eyes and pretends to be sleeping. 

More later...

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

This is me right now..... YAWN!!!!

• Enerva

blessing i love that one lol

• Njmom3
    Njmom3 Member Posts: 39

yawning is a good sign!  Since my surgery I've had days and nights mixed up!  Maybe next weeks surgery will fix that too!  Hope no one reads this and everyone is sleeping!  Nighty night!

• phgraham
    phgraham Member Posts: 909

Hello lady-olas!  I just woke up from a 4 hour nap!  It was delicious.  Now I can be awake until about 7 a.m.  I am such a moron!  However I do NOT shoplift hoots like Sassypants.  Nor do I do ANYTHING with knobs like cammi does.  I do love chevy's coffee owls. I love pickup campers and am jealous of those that have them.

I did have a bad foot-toes-shooting-nerve-pain-with-what-feels-like-a-sore-tennis-ball-behind-my-left-ankle day.  Had to take extra pain meds which may be why I slept so long.  Now....what kind of trouble can I get into?  Happy

Phyllopian

• wren44

Burrowing owls. Babies make a sound like rattlesnakes when disturbed.