Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484

Thanks Sassy. Give her our bestest love.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

2/14/14 7:50 pm; Chevy's still in recovery. Don't worry. I thought the timing for my check in call was short. It's 5:50 in Co. That would make it only 4hrs from scheduled 2pm sx time. Hip cases are big setup cases and the earlier sx's may have taken longer then scheduled. The only case that ever starts right on time is the first case of the morning.

I'm guessing the following, but it's a reasonable guess. Even if they were moving her back to the room as I write, by the time they settle her in it' will be 7 pm. Unless DD stays the night. The staff will shew the family out pretty quick after that.

Checked with surgical waiting room and no family there.-----I'll give it another hour---Sassy

Don't be surprised if you don't see an update tonight, if DD not at bedside , she could be blissfully sleeping and not answer the phone :)

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985

Thanks - Sass give big hug to Chevy

• sas-schatzi

2/14/14 8:55 p----Chevy called at 8:35. In her room. Totally coherent. Voice raspy from tube. Pain scale 5. No PCA, suggested she ask for one. DD & Dh had just left. Subcu Heparin given. Rehab starts in Am. I'm to call her @9-10 her time. I finally have the time straight. Thanks all. Two incision(usual). Sends her love. Sassy

• mdnghtdeb3
    mdnghtdeb3 Member Posts: 125

Luvmygoats - The cold hand on incision does help a bit here as well. I'm not allowed to ice (haven't been able to since surgery). BS was worried about decreasing flow of blood to left nipple. She had to take breast tissue quite close to inside of nipple in order to get good margins. My entire left nipple is a deep dark shade of purple. When strips were removed, a layer of skin came with them. Apparently, my skin blistered in that area...ouch! She expects me to lose another layer during the healing process. Yikes! Very tender! I tried padding today...that helps! Thanks! I can't imagine having to type with one hand and keep other on boob. LOL! :) Good thing nobody was home who really cared about the whole holding the boob thing. :)

Sas - Thanks for keep us posted about Chevy. Send her lots of hugs! xo

Enerva - All I can say is Wow! 

Happy Valentines Day girls! xo xo xo

• sas-schatzi

Night alll---------Hope it was a nice day for all XOXO sassy

• Miminiemi
    Miminiemi Member Posts: 260

Poor Chevyboy.  None of us needs more hospital time.  Hugs to her and glad someone will help us carry on Cami.

The news and jokes here are so fast it's hard to stay tuned in.  But seems you were discussing the mammo news.  My BC was caught by a routine mammo and was so tiny it could not be felt manually.  (4mm) At age 66 I suppose they might even consider treatment questionable because something else would get me first (different study about radiation).  But without the mammogram I wouldn't know and would not have received the great treatment I've had.  I'll take my chances on something else since mom lived to be 94.  

Question.  Will mammograms be more painful in the future now that there is this lumpy incision area, etc?

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646

Update on Grayson, doing play-doh with her sister......making progress

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484

MNDeb - Yes that's why I never asked about icing - I figured it was a no-no but who can argue against a cold hand. So long as no little ones asking just what the heck you're doing. No worries here only DH and I. DD lives an hour away and no grands or bf for her. Yikes for nip - good vibes for healing.

But I did get some fun news. I get to go to a Dallas Stars Hockey game with her. One of the companies they do business with gets a suite every year with yummy food and I'm her "date". Fun times but this time on a Thursday night - bummer. We'll just have the hockey game time to visit since I'll have to leave early next morning so she can go to work. DH on vaca that week so I don't have to run right home.

Thanks Sassy for the updates. Get some sleep.Winking There will be a quiz on time zones next week.

Mimi - My first one 6 mo later was a tiny bit more painful but the center was very mindful of recent surgery. It was not outlandish by any means. I think I took Advil b4 which I usually don't do but that was all it took. Bet I went on to work. Never hurts to remind tech of recent surgery - I'm sure I did even though I filled out detailed questionnaire at appt.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938

((Chevy)) just reading the news and you're already onto R&R!  Sleep well and heal.

Tang, there are all kinds of meds for nausea so if one thing doesn't work, ask your onc for something else.  I had Zofran as an IV pre-med, then compazine pills to take at home.  I took one every six hours (I think) for four days, from Tues when I got home from chemo, thru Fri night.  Figured if I felt crappy on Sat I could veg the weekend.  Usually turned the corner to feeling OK again by the next Tues.  Herbs might help. 

Whomever asked about green pee - did you have sentinel node biopsy?  I peed bright smurf blue after mine.  Turned from blue to green then back to normal after a day or two.

All the talk about chocolate cokes makes me want a Canfield's diet chocolate fudge soda!  Too bad they don't make it any more.  Happy Valentine's Day!  ♥

• mdnghtdeb3

Luvmygoats - You won't get any arguments from this girl! LOL! No worries here either...only me, DH, and DS who isn't here much. Thanks so much for the healing vibes! Much appreciated! Gotta admit...it sure isn't fun! But what is fun - you get to go to a Dallas Stars Hockey Game with your DD as her date!!! Yay!!! That is so awesome and those are the times we cherish the most! 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942

Hey Girls we just hit page 300!

• FairyDogMother
    FairyDogMother Member Posts: 154

I was such a morning person until freaking Felix came along (my cancer tumor).  Now I have night sweats and can't go to bed. I used to sleep from 9 or 10 until 6 or 7 am maybe getting up once.  Now I'm getting up 6-7 times and waking up 24 times during the night.   When I do fall a sleep from 1-2 I'm up again at 3ish until 5. then fully awake at 7:30 a.m.

My poor DH, I move to the guest room, watch old Star Treks, chat on Facebook, reading never ending blogs about cancer. 

Will this ever end? 

• sas-schatzi

Welcome Fairydm, well I'd like to say yes, but each is so different, you won't know for a long time. But come here and just type hooot and submit if someones up they may pop in. Maybe soterias up too and Maddy-----sassy

• sas-schatzi

Soteria we went from pg 180 in mid dec to 300 in 2 months LOL. I was starting to sleep earlier on the couch, went to bed, finally gave up and got up for melatonin.

• Enerva

Fairy yes it gets better, its a year after my chemo and i still cant have a good night sleep, but its better for sure. 

• sas-schatzi

Fairy there is a thread on hotflashesthe best stuff is the first 30 pages or so then it starts to repeat itself. but may help. I'll bring the link

http://community.breastcancer.org/topic_post?forum...

• mdnghtdeb3

Oh dear! Just found out DH is out in this cold fighting a 2nd alarm fire at a commercial building! There are reports of propane tanks, fuel, and ammunition in the building! Guess who else is going to be up all night! 

• sas-schatzi

Hi Enerva---what's keeping you up?

• mdnghtdeb3

Fairy - big hugs! you have come to the right place.

Maddy - Where are ya girl? 

Sas - Hi, sweetie!

Enerva - Still amazed by your talent! :) 

Hey, this newbie was the first to post on pg. 300! Woo hoo! :) 

• sas-schatzi

Deb, my experience with that type of fire is the chiefs will decide to let it burn versus risking the lives of the line firemen & women. They'll evacuate the surrounding areas. There have been some fires in the last few years that made the news b/c of wrong command decisions. What's his department like? 

• sas-schatzi

Cool deb--you also may be the 9000th post were at 8982

• Enerva

Well just worry about my sister and i dont know even by taking half pill for sleeping i can seam to get it. also i move slightly from side to side but still not able to go on my sides, pain more on the rad breast it feels as if i got capsule contraction happening again. I ll see a new PS next week hope he can help. 

• mdnghtdeb3

Sas - they will let it burn, but the random explosions are what worry me. My DH is one of those risk takers. Have you ever seen Backdraft? Geez. He is always telling me, "Deb, the fire won't get me"! Men!!! I just hate when I know he is at a fire like this. Would rather hear about it in the morning. 

• sas-schatzi

Maddy been off a couple of days? Anything up with her?

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

Helloooo Owlettes! It's only 10 p.m. in Cali... I slept in til 11a.m. this morning, then got up and made my breakfast smoothie. I was settling in to read the paper when DH started turning off lights and closing the blinds. I knew he was going to the store, but I wasn't going anywhere! When I asked why he was doing all that, he reminded me I had a doctor's appt at 11:30 a.m.

#$)#%*(@$%($%))^@_%^)_@$^)@$#*^ !!!!!!

Ran and got dressed as fast as I could, didn't even brush my hair. Fortunately she's only ten minutes away and I made it on time. 

It was my Traditional Chinese Medicine doc... after I described last week's dizzy nightmare, and how tense I was all over from trying to stay upright the next day, she decided I needed another cupping session. So got the big octopus on my back... have 14 giant hickeys to show for it. I think it helps... the cupping is designed to allow blood to flow into oxygen-starved muscles.

Anyway, I took my big honkin' cocktail of meds early tonight... let's see if they work.

Nighty-night, all!!!

• sas-schatzi

Deb I used to train paramedics--50 students per class, usually +- 40 were paid or volunteers, the rest were privates or notaffliated. The smokeaters were just as you describe. Good lord if a siren sounded when class was going on, I learned to just ask someone to check the window to see which department was coming in. b/c the guys attention was gone from whatever we were working on.........

• mdnghtdeb3

Sas - I haven't seen Maddy here either. Hope she is okay. Maybe I should PM her.

9000...that would be sweet! :) 

Enerva - Sorry you are having a rough night! Hugs!

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

• mdnghtdeb3

Sas - That is so funny! I can totally picture them doing that! I have double trouble...DH is a firefighter and a paramedic! Ugh! LOL! 

Two days after my surgery the guys came screaming down my block light and sirens...they stopped here...honked a couple times and off they went! Crazy men!