Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Options

Comments

• windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813
    Options

I can breathe and swallow okay, but the swallowing is painful, like when you have strep throat. The sorness is only on the right hand side of my throat.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

ah nancy has a clue

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    Options

I'm sorry to hear all of you have difficulty trying to fall asleep.   I don't have any problem falling asleep.  I'm so damn exhausted from months of interrupted sleep because of this bum shoulder.  I'm now down to counting the minutes until my surgery...which isn't until the end of the month.  Looks like I'm going to be spending a lot of time here with you sisters....Oy.

• windlass
    Options

Can you get strep throat only two days after chemo? I've been hearing infections happen the following week, when your white cells drop. I've been reading that "pharyngitis" or sore throat can happen "several days" after chemo, along with mouth sores. But this seems early for all of those.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

well I could give you a several hundred year old recipe that will nipe a sore throat from any cause in it's tracks. But has to be done right away when s/s start and tastes awful

• jezza
    jezza Member Posts: 295
    Options

Well I've gotto go and start my risotto for dinner. Also have a hungry pup and angry siamese cat to feed!

May check in later...It's Saturday night so may be up pretty late myself...

jezza

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Vr glad you stayed.

windlass- the minimum is gargle with salt water

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    Options

I'm up until the throbbing and stiffness subside...

• windlass
    Options

Thanks, good. Sas: Do you have a recipe that is easier to whip up at home?

p.s. I read the package insert on my topical lidocaine. Did you know it is a carcinogen in its own right? Sheesh.

• hdangelbaby
    hdangelbaby Member Posts: 412
    Options

strep has an incubation period of 1 to 4 days. your white counts don't usually drop until about 7-21 days after ( depending if you are on 3 week cycle or dose dense 2 week cycle), still, your counts don't have to be low to pick up strep. you could have contacted it in the 1 to 4 days prior to symptoms showing up. go get a flashlight and shine it on your throat. do you have white patches? or a very red throat?

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Windlass--go gargle first with salt water now then come back

• windlass
    Options

Let me go look at my throat with a flashlight. BRB.

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    Options

Ok, I'm back, sleep didn't work....how bout a thread called "you know you have chemo brain when..." like right now, I kept hitting refresh, nothing happened that you all went to bed, then DUH had to go the next page! lol

• hdangelbaby
    Options

hahaha sagina!! that is so a chemo brain moment!

and i have them all the time! my DH says " it's like christmas for you everyday now, cause you lose stuff, then find it and get all surprised and happy" !! it makes me laugh.....

• sagina
    Options

So true, on Christmas day midway through treatments, I couldn't find my pants - any of them! I finally sat down and cried....so appreciate what the elderly go through when they look at me like - really I don't know what you mean!

• sagina
    Options

Windlass, my OC gave me a script to fill for antibiotics - said to keep on hand and if I had a fever of 101 to take and then call the office.

• hdangelbaby
    Options

holy crap, my DH is snoring so loud, that i wouldn't be able to sleep even if i was tired!

• hdangelbaby
    Options

sagina, my doc just did that. my strep test came back neg ( rapid test), but he said since there ar so many false negatives with those, he gave me a script for the z pack and told me if i didn't feel better by tomorrow ( which was today), then to take them.so when i woke up still feeling exactly like i did when i got strep about a month ago, i went ahead and took them. i guess worse case scenario, it's viral and the antibiotics won't do a thing for it.

• windlass
    Options

Okay, I took a look at my throat, and there's nothing I can obviously see. Trouble is I don't know what my throat normally looks like and if this is any different. It's sort of pale pink with whitish streaks, but the don't look like "white patches", more like just part of my throat. But who knows?

I don't have maalox or mylanta, but I swished with a calcium magnesium supplement, and that helped a bit. Then I made a magnesium tea that I am sipping. (That's supposed to help with the heart too, right?) I feel a bit better and a bit calmer. Now that I know I am not dying of strep or anything, I am going to try going back to bed.

Thanks for being my middle of the night sisters and helping me through this.

• sagina
    Options

So Bonnie, the worker had chemo head too? lol

• hdangelbaby
    Options

God is good, oh that's something i would totally do!!!

• sas-schatzi
    Options

if no allergies to the following  cider vinegar, salt, red pepper which is capasicin(SIC)Find a glass container pour cider vinegar to almost the top. Then pour into small saucepan, cover bottom of pan with salt, then cover bottom of pan with red pepper seeds, boil for several minutes, let cool, then pour through seive into glass container. gagrle every 1/2 hr for a couple of hours. First gargle is awful because it tastes awful. Where ever the attacking bacteria are, it will feel likes its burning. It's killing them. After each gargle spit it out and rinse the foremouth. If you do it at the first sign of a sore troat it can stop it fast. Once the bacterias gotten to far of a foothold.  It doesn't work the same. cover glass container-  I use a cork and store in frig . This recipe is several hundred years old and could be older than that.

Problem is your on chemo and the symptoms are moving fast --call your doc

• Jalsmama55
    Jalsmama55 Member Posts: 29
    Options

Hello all! I'm officially joining! So much trouble sleeping at night. The minute I try to lay down, the circus goes off in my head and it's all downhill from there Haha! Hubby and oldest son are out of town for the weekend, middle son is with gma and gpa and I'm here with my 4 year old. Bored out of my mind! Laughing at all the posts :)

• windlass
    Options

Any votes for me to call my doc now, at 3:38 AM, versus waiting til 8:00 AM?

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    Options

I'm up, but there again, it's only 5.00 pm.  I'd begin to worry if I were sleeping right now......lol.   This time I find the boards are usually, really quiet so it's great that you started this thread Sas.  Mid if I join?

• hdangelbaby
    Options

damn snoring... what the hell am i gonna do when i go back to work from 8 -5??? hmmmph!

• sas-schatzi
    Options

windlass read my last post

• sagina
    Options

Windlass, they might tell you just to go to an ER, there's probably not much they can do for you right now with the office being closed.  I remember feeling the exact way you are right now....if you have a fever never hestitate to call though.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    Options

Windlass, if you have normal temp and can get some relief from the above forementioned recipes I would wait until 8.00AM.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Chrissy welcome come on in and join us sleepless babies