Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Options

Comments

• windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813
    Options

hdangelbaby: my hubby snores like a jackhammer ever since I was diagnosed. I think it's the strain of all of this. Exhaustion makes men snore worse. Since we're spending so much time at the hospital, I've asked him to go in for a "sleep evaluation." They have simple outpatient surgeries that can snip a small bit of the (epiglottis?) to stop the snoring.

The other advantage is that it will make our husbands more rested. Snoring is associated with sleep apnea, which means they are struggling to get enough oxygen, which I believe also interferes with their REM sleep. The result is they are tired during the day, esp. in the AM, and we are exhausted too from hearing them all night!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    Options

Thanks Sas.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

Jals welcome it's moving fast so jump in

Windlass come on back --did you gargle at least with the salt water

• jezza
    jezza Member Posts: 295
    Options

Where in OZ are you Chrissy? I'm in Melb.

I'm cooking atm and just popping in to this thread on and off.

Sorry about your throat Windlass.

• chrissyb
    Options

I also have a DH who snores and rattles the roofing timbers.  He even disturbs the dog!

• hdangelbaby
    hdangelbaby Member Posts: 412
    Options

windlass, how weird you said yours started when you were diagnosed! that is the same time mine started doing it every night! it used to be only when he drank. but now it's every damn night!!! yeah, something's gotta give or i will be miserable when i go back to work! right now it's so-so, cause i go to bed around 3 and sleep till 11 or 12. that won't work when i go back to my 8-5 shift!

• chrissyb
    Options

Jez, I'm in Burra SA about two hour drive north of Adelaide.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Windlass --sleep apnea can also lead to diabetes , obesity, hypertension, alzheimers, and cardiomyopathy.--it sucks

• windlass
    Options

Hi, Sas: I would try your recipe under any circumstances other than actual chemo because I'm worried that it's not strep but maybe a "tenderness" or irritation from the chemo. If so, I think vinegar and red pepper would burn it worse. It sounds like a great recipe at any other time, though, and I've made a note of it.

Like all sore throats, it's getting better now that I am up and walking around. Have you noticed they always get worse when you sleep and better when you're up? I am going to try and go back to sleep and I will call my onc in the morning when she's up, unless it gets markedly worse. 

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    Options

Well ladies...the stiffness is subsiding...so it's off to bed again...BTW, my husband snores and his legs and arms flail while he's sleeping.  Sometimes I think I should wear ear plugs and armour to bed.

• Jalsmama55
    Jalsmama55 Member Posts: 29
    Options

Thanks sas!

• chrissyb
    Options

My DH laughs in his sleep and I'm often tempted to wake him and ask whast the joke is.....lol

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    Options

Windlass I had bad "dry mouth" during chemo as well that made my throat hurt too.

• chrissyb
    Options

Haven't been to bed yet Bonnie, it's way to early here.

• Jalsmama55
    Options

This thread is moving so fast i can't keep up SHEESH! haha

• windlass
    Options

Also, on the snoring, I am going to take an old-fashioned tape recorder into the bedroom so he can hear what I am talking about. It's got to be hard believing something you can't hear.

And I want the HOSPITAL to tell him he has a problem and what to do about it, since he will be more likely to submit to a procedure if they tell him about the diabetes, obesity, hypertension, alzheimers, and cardiomyopathy, rather than me.

(Have you noticed men are more wimps when it comes to surgery than women? *laugh*)

Okay, I am going to try gargling with salt water next. brb

• chrissyb
    Options

Biotine put out a great mouth wash for dry mouth....doesn't taste wonderful but it works.

• Jalsmama55
    Options

Windlass, have u tried Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash? Really helped me during chemo. Just a thought. Good luck doll

• sas-schatzi
    Options

windlass thats why I put the bold note at the bottom but gagrling with salt water is a standard remedy this past 30 or so years. 

The sleep apnea thing --he's got it from your description. Obstructive apnea is the technical term.  I found the most definitive question is --are you still sleeping in the same room. once a partner has moved to another room its a really severe case. CPAP or surgery is the answer.

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    Options

I'n gonna try sleep on more time - I think 3 am is a good bedtime! lol

• chrissyb
    Options

Gotta go for a while girls, DH has just arrived home with dinner......catch you a bit later....need to go eat...lol

• hdangelbaby
    Options

Biotene rocks! I used it all through chemo and i only got mouth sores once, and it wasn't even that bad. it was like 2 sores.

• windlass
    Options

Okay, SAS, I gargled with salt water and it  is a LOT better. Thank you!

As for my husband, yes, the last two nights I have slept in a different room!

• jezza
    jezza Member Posts: 295
    Options

Good night vr....

I know Burra Chrissy...some friends of mine lived there some time ago.

Thank goodness DH doesn't snore much. He says I do sometimes but I don't believe him!

• Jalsmama55
    Options

Windlass, your hubby should have a sleep study done so cpap can be prescribed. Sleep deprivation is so debilitating healthwise.

• hdangelbaby
    Options

i have found my DH goes to bed around midnight. by 1 or2 he is snoring like crazy, i'd say about 3-4 times a week i have been going out to sleep on the couch till he goes to work. that's why i have started staying up till around 3 or later, i wait for him to stop snoring, THEN i try to get some sleep, and IF i can, i sleep straight instead of sleep, wake up, go to couch, sleep, wake up, go to bed, sleep!

• windlass
    Options

What is CPAP for snoring? And how traumatic is the surgery?

• windlass
    Options

(hahaha, after I've had a BREAST AND ALL MY LYMPH NODES REMOVED and had a PORT INSTALLED and had CHEMO shot up my veins, I am worrying my dear husband will struggle with an outpatient surgery ;)

• Jalsmama55
    Options

Cpap is (continuous positive airway pressure) it's a machine that's hooked to a nasal mask that hubby would wear at night and would prevent the sleep disturbances caused by snoring. It prevents the obstruction from happening and you both could sleep more soundly :)

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Can't go wrong with the salt water --it's the same as body fluids.

Helloo to everybody new. and bye to the ones that are gone. The hope here is you can find a place to talk when you can't sleep and the people on our regular threads are so peacefully asleep and looking for the southlanders to be here.