INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

I buy the forequarter chop as they are the cheaper ones but they are about $5 per pound.  So not too bad.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

Is that the same as convection oven----------fan forced

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

I'm getting very hungry.

Maybe some chocolate!!!!!!!!!!!!

• chrissyb

I have a Big Mac as a treat occassionally......I know they are not good for me but hey, if I can't have what I like then I have no life worth living!

• chrissyb

A convection oven is just heat that comes from either the top or the bottom of the oven.  A fan-forced oven had a fan that circulates the warm air so it doen't matter what shelf you use or how much is in the oven it will cook evenly.

• sas-schatzi

Well I'm not into cooking for one yet. so, it's lots of tv dinners  ....... and all the fast foods are putting out coupons for buy one get one free, and reataurants toooo. The are really fighting for as many consumer dollars as they can get.

• chrissyb

I f I drink coke I usually have the zero but I prefer Pepsi Max......not that I drink much, but that is my preference.

• chrissyb

Nancy, it heats the kitchen nicely, but the fan I was talking about is inside the oven to circulate the air in there.

• sheila888

I leave alone too.

i always cook double portion so I have leftovers.

• chrissyb

I mostt times make enough for two meals and package one up and freeze it.....that way when I'm feeling a bit off or have been out and not got home till late, it doesn't take much to put a frozed dinner in the microwave to heat through.  That way I'm not eating too much junk.

• sas-schatzi

Have to try and fix a post on poop

• sheila888
    WHY????????????Surprised
  • chrissyb

Poop?

• chrissyb

Nancy, when my freezer starts to get a bit full, I have an easy week and eat out it.   That way I can save a little money on groceries for that week and I can make a little room for more fresh dinners!

• chrissyb

No probs Nancy,  It was more a lunch at a restaurant but I haven't seen him for a while and I was really planning to catch up.   I would have caught up with my SIL family as well.  I know them all very well and they are lovely people so all in all a little disappointing that I just couldn't do the drive.

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy---bummer------I have no family in FL. right now all are up north.  WE have a new grandnephew 8ibs 2 oz ------21 in-------------first names is going to be Gavin

• chrissyb

I had 3 bros and 2 sis, unfortunately my eldest bro died 3 years ago of cancer.  The nephew I was to see is his son.  My SIL comes from a family of 6 also so when we all get together it's like a mob!  I only had one aunt and unfortunately she passed about 15 years ago of BC and of her children only one survives.

• chrissyb

Wow congrats Shiela on the birth of the little? one.  I like the name Gavin,

• chrissyb

We won't be having any if I don't go and take the chops out of the freezer....lol......back in a minute!

• sas-schatzi

I used to love it as a kid--------I had 43 first cousins on my dads side -------what great fun as kids for us that were in the middle of the bell curve, the ones at the top end and lower end got slighted to to speak

• sas-schatzi

18 first cousins on my moms side-----------88 first cousins and aunts and uncles. Good irish Catholics of the 30 through the 70's

• chrissyb

I'm back!  But I will have to disappear a bit later to do the first stage of the cook before I put it in the oven.

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy my sister broils her lamb chops and then finishes them with fresh squeezed lemon-----is that a common or uncommon approach?

• chrissyb

Shiela we do broil them but it's known as grilling here but I've not heard of the lemon juice on them....sounds interesting.  Lamb chops as a fule of thumb are grilled (broiled) or BBQ'd.  Braizing is an old fashioned way of cooking.

• sas-schatzi

Nancy that sounds wonderful----------that sounds like all the great flavor of the salmon would come through

• sas-schatzi

The lemon on the lamb chops were amazing -----knowing my sister she got butter in there somehow. But the lemon i'm sure was done just as they came out of the broiler. I'll ask her next time we chat.

• chrissyb

Nancy, when dealing with salmon, the simpler the better as it's flavour speaks for itself.

With the chops, I will seal them in a very hot pan and brown them, then I'll place them in a casserole dish or covered pan that can go into the oven adding onions, carrots, celery and depending what herbs I have probably a little rosemary and thyme.  Add a little vegetable stock salt and pepper, lid on and in the oven for about 2 hours.  When done lift the chops and thicken the gravy with a little flour.  replace the chops and cover with the gravy than serve with mashed potato and some green veg.

• sas-schatzi

In fact i'll just ring her and see-----------left her a message--------she has insomnia too, but she didn't answer..... so perhaps sleeping ---------it's 1202 here

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy---------I can taste it. HMMMMMMMMMM. did you ever use a pressure cooker. The flavors would be so dramatic. The ring on mine broke and I never got around to sending it back.

But what you just described so much like the flavors you described. Rosemary and lamb were made in heaven to go together

• chrissyb

I would be interested in that Sheila.  I have on occassion made a garlic butter to put on the grilled chops and your blue butter would be nice too.  Maybe adding the lemon juice with some of the rind to butter would be good too.....I'll have to try it and find out.