INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

chrissy....That lamb dish is making me drool. Sounds so delicious

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

I like it as it is easy as and the meat just literally melts in your mouth as it's slow cooked.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

Chrissy have you done green beans and thyme. Used to do a herb butter of thyme. Then forgot it one time. Put the thyme on, put in the casserole dish to go to the table, by the time it was served the steam softened the thyme. Never did butter again just the thyme -----much better and less calories LOl

• chrissyb

Nancy, I have used a pressure cooker but I'm not really sold on them.  I had one many years ago when my children were small and into all the after school things that got us home late and I found the pressure cooker convenient then but I still thing the slow cook method gives a better flavour finish.

• sas-schatzi

Well that why your description reminded me of the pressure cooker because the intense flavor that both methods render.

• chrissyb

Shiela, I've used most of the fresh herbs over veg of all sorts.  I've also done asparagus with a butter and rasberry vinegar dressing and that is so easy!   Just trim your asparagus and rinse.  In a fry pan place a good knob of butter a good splash of rasberry vinegar and a little water.  Bring to the boild and melt the butter.  Place the asparagus in this liquid, cover and simmer until soft but crisp.  Serve with some of the liquid.

• sas-schatzi

Have to check something be back

• sheila888

i used to have a PC but it's gone now.

Because something happened and everything was on the ceiling.

I was soo scared.

• chrissyb

I've got a slow cooker and as you say they are really good particularly when you need to plan ahead.  My DD's gave me a vegetable steamer for mothers day this year and that is good too.

• chrissyb

With a pressure cooker, your seals must be in perfect condition or accidents do happen and you get the food on the ceiling effect.

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

Chrissy - you and I have somehow learnt to cook at the same school. I do much the same with lamb chops and it always works. Have been grilling a lot more with my new stove, just throw things on the hot plate. I must actually get something out for dinner, may be steak tonight. Made a lamb tagine the other night which was great and the sauce of apricts and prunes was divine. It was slow cooked.

Agree about salmon, I usually just bake it in a little white wine with some onions and it is beautiful. Sometimes make a mango salsa and put that on top.

Will let you know what I eventually do for tonight.

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

I use a lot of  'Tuscan' or ' Italian' mixes which go well in lots of things.

• chrissyb

Alyson, I learned to cook from my grandmother.   I was always hanging around her in the kitchen and I can still in my mind remember the flavours of the food she prepared some of which cannot be replicated as she used to make her own butter and clotted cream from the milk she got from her cow.  In the days when there were not too many refrigerators around, she used to make icecream and it was amazing!

• sas-schatzi

Sounds divine------------my favorite vinagrette is raspberry---- a toch of sweetness with the sour

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,502

I arrived and first thing I saw was seyla888's comment:

"i used to have a PC but it's gone now.

Because something happened and everything was on the ceiling.

I was soo scared."

Glad I read on to realize it wasn't an exploding computer!  Smile

Good evening/night/afternoon/whenever, ladies!

Judith

• chrissyb

Shiela people who have said they don't like asparagus have gone back for seconds with that recipe and I just laugh!

• chrissyb

Hi Judith, nice to see you.

• sas-schatzi

Hi judith ------recipe time---------yes I agree with nancy i'm ready to eat the keyboard.

• chrissyb

Nancy, and icebox was a small piece of furnitue that was tin lined and slightly insulated with straw and the idea was that you put a large block of ice in the top and it slowly melted and kept the contents of the bottom compartment cool.  To look at one now you'd have to wonder why more people didn't die from food poisoning!

• sheila888

HI Judith/Moderators.......Wink

That was too funny thinking it was my computer. LOL LOLLaughing

When i first got the computer my daughter used to say <Mom even if you click on something wrong it will never explode.>

Good Night

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy----if i can find the recipe it's romaine letuce, with fresh broclli, toasted raman noodles, green onion, and a raspberry vinagrette. First time i was ever able to eat raw brocclli. Even though over the years I would always retaste to see if I found it better.

Goggle those igredients there are many variations on the net b/c we couldn't find our recipe one time.

• chrissyb

Nancy, you can make a flovoured butter using just ab out anything all you do is chop finely your chosed herb and mix with softened butter.  Place in a sealed container and keep it in the fridge to use as required.

• sas-schatzi

I guess it's the r-vinegarette-------------it makes everything taste better---------was that just a commercial

• sas-schatzi

Nancy you going to bed?

• chrissyb

Night Seyla/Shiela....sleep well.  Nice to have had you with us tonight.  See you again soon.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• sas-schatzi

What ever trips your tastebuds, thyme, rosemary, tarragon, fennel.---each one of those would be good on any fish.

• sas-schatzi

night sheila -sheila

• chrissyb

Nancy, any herb you like.....it's just what you find pleasing to the palate.   I've used oregano, basil, thyme, sage, lemon, orange, garlic and parsley.   I think thats all.

Shiela I will google that as it sounds very light and refreshing.

• sas-schatzi

nancy give it a try and letus know? You can do just about anything to chicken

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy would you believe basil is the top one one my allergy list----------bummer