INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

c & S here Sheila's a very unusual name --------so when there's more than one in an area , it is always remarked upon.      AND confusing

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

It probably has it's origins somewhere back when and is copied from an original!

• chrissyb

Did you know that a Shiela is Aussie slang for girl?

• sas-schatzi

Well it'a celtic name derivitive of Cecelia.

• sas-schatzi

We lost Aussie sheila----------

• sas-schatzi

Yes --------first from Crockidile Dundee----a movie that did quite well here. The Outback Steakhouse has it on the bathroom doors

• sas-schatzi

Crockidile Dundee-------gave us a view of Australia we hadn't had before. Similar to our OLD WEST

• sas-schatzi

How big is you town, are you in town or out. Do you much have to worry about that poisonous spider? That spider is always mentioned in stories about Aust.?

• chrissyb

Kakadu National park is where Crocodile Dundee was filmed and that is in the Northern Territory.   There really is some beautiful scenery here and quite unusual too.

• sas-schatzi

What did the Aussies think of the movie.? ALso Russel Crowe and Whats the Blonds name that was married to  ?

• chrissyb

You mean the Red Back?    Yes there are lots of them where  I live but all Aussies know not to pick anything with a lip up unless you are wearing gloves as they like to hide under the lip of things like pot plants etc.   My little town is just that, little.  The population is only 1500 but it's very cute.  The whole town is heritage listed so there are loads of old buildings and cottages.  It was settled as a copper mining community back in the mid 1800's by the Welsh miners who were bought out from Wales to work the mine so most of the cottages including my home are still the original.

• sas-schatzi

I'm going to start that recipe now as the last pill is starting to work.

I adore quaint, most of my house is antiques. Small old towns that have been keep up just have a sense of relaxation about them. -------dog has to go out

the red back would it come up well thru google?

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439

Nah, not lost, DH rang from work, poor bugger, working 12 hr days x 42 days away from home.

Sheila is a generic name for females like 'babe, chick' in Aus Sheila.  A lot of our slang has passed into history but that one just hangs around.  I was born in England three years before parents emigrated here, so was stuck with it.

Sheila.

• chrissyb

Paul Hogan played Croc Dundee.  He started out as a painter on the Sydney Harbour Bridge and then won a comedy spot competition and eventually got his own TV show.  He has done some good films and some very bad ones.  Now, Russel Crowe on the other hand is a real hottie and not just a hot head....lol.  I think his wife has finally tamed the bad boy as much as can be done.  I loved him in Gladiator.

• sas-schatzi

sheila where are you located from chrissy? sheila

• chrissyb

Wow Aussie, where is he working that he has to be away from home for so long?

• sas-schatzi

Gladiator----------------he was the best,                .our favorite   but difficult for me to watch now b/c it was Greg's insomnia treatment.----"Masters and Commanders"" A good movie gets better with each viewing and these two movies fall in that category

• sas-schatzi

The attention to detail and period correctness was masterfull in both. But Crowes pictures all do. I dont' know if he has a hand in it or it's the directors.

• chrissyb

I agree whole heartedly!  They are both very good movies and very watchable over and over.   The body of work that he has done is very good....I have enjoyed each and every movie that he has made even a very early Aussie one called 'The Sum of Us" .

• chrissyb

I think he is a perfectionist and because of that everything he does has a certain intenseness to it....he is totally commited to that  moment.

• sas-schatzi

That one I never heard of , but will look for. Another two that come to mind are "LA Confidential" and "A Beautiful Mind". I think LA C was his break through here. Their is a site that makes you register now , but it's free. You can access everything you want to know about movies and actors--------it's called IMDB---Internet movie data base. Very helpful with movie info

• chrissyb

Cool, I'll check that out.  I also liked both of them, as I said I pretty much like all that he has done.

• sas-schatzi

That's it, his focused intensity is so strong, that you feel what he feels. The eyes show so much with him and how his mind is working , but at the same time they can be hard as steel

• chrissyb

And cold as ice!  I think that's what makes him so good at what he does.

• sas-schatzi

Now i'm effectively going to check out so I can write that recipe out. I'll be watching ,but once I start writing I won't be able to post or else I'll lose it. Bye for now,

Bye Aussie Sheila ---------Usa sheila------------today is our Independence Day------

• chrissyb

Happy Independence Day!!!!!!

Bye for now Shiela, I'll catch you later!!!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439

Um Sheila, Chrissy is a long way away from me, I live in Maryborough, Queensland, on the eastern side of the island and Chrissy is way down south sort of near the centre of the big bite mark in the bottom, if you see what I mean.

Hubby works 3-4hrs north of here in an industrial town called Gladstone.  He just started as a skipper on the tugs up there towing huge barges around.............up until seven weeks ago he was a Dredge-master on a large vessel which travelled all around the Queensland coast deepening the harbours and shipping channels.  He has worked all over the world doing this sort of work which he started out originally being a surfer at 17.  He worked on shark boats on the Gold Coast keeping the shark nets free of sharks to start with and has had a very interesting work life.

Sheila.

• chrissyb

You must miss him heaps when he's away.  His work history sounds really interesting.

• sas-schatzi

Jezebel

1.---1 1/2  oz dry mustard   

2.---6-8 oz standard horseradish

3.---1 TBL spoon of fresh cracked black peppercorns irregularly smashed

4.---1  18 oz jar of pineapple preserves, alternate choices may be apricot or orange marmalade

5.---1    8 oz brick of Philadelphia cream cheese divided or equivalent

Mixed together loosely with a fork.    Return to the 18 oz jars by using a rolled paper plate as a funnel. The fruit in the preserves prevents the use of a regular funnel.   You can freeze one if you please. If you don't like to use glass to freeze in then use whatever you like. You will have and extra 8oz's, so, you'll need another container. The other bottle will keep in the refrigerator side for up to 3 months. Very often I will give the second bottle as a gift.

To serve as an appetizer. Cut brick of cream cheese in half - 4oz. place in a bowl approximate size of a cereal dish. Pour jezebel over the top of the cream cheese up close to the rim. Spread over crackers. Making sure you have some cheese and jezebel on each cracker The cheese tames the hotness of the horseradish. I have learned to prefer the 8 oz's of the horseradish, you may choose the 6 oz for you first try. Replenish the jezebel as needed in the serving dish.

Can be used as topping over baked chicken, pork of any cut -but I prefer tenderloin, over salmon. May be good with other fish--I just haven't tried them. Brush on the last 10-15 minutes of baking and leave lid off. Line baking dish with aluminum foil to facilitate cleanup. Don't use Pam.

Originally came from Port Austin, Michigan USA,then to Detroit, then to Florida. now to Australia. They're many variations on the Internet. It's one of those recipes that people will love or hate. My sisters first attempt, she tasted it without the cream cheese and said "This can't be right". She threw out the batch and redid it. The key is to combine some jezebel with the cream cheese on the cracker. 2011

• chrissyb

Wow Shiela that is amazing!!!!   I can't wait to get all I need to make it and I will do that as soon as I return from the city.  Thank you so much and please thank your sister Sue for me as well.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

It has been added to my recipe file!