Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Adhesive TAPE - help need to find non-allergic

Options

Comments

• Trickling
    Trickling Member Posts: 295
    Options

hymil Thanks for supplying medical names for some of the adhesive products.

EVERYONE:  Here is a VIDEO about correctly applying 3M Cavilon Barrier Films.  The sample wipe I was given has no alcohol and is called 3M Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d28fNUiH68M 

Tonight, Friday evening = end of office work week,  I am going to TEST the products which the WOCN was kind enough to give me and are used at my medical center.  I am sure there are other products I will need to test.  

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    Options

Thanks again for this topic.   I ripped open a small spot on my forearm and a metal shelf in the grocery store - and of course it bled like crazy.  Knowing I would end up with a bigger "wound" from  a bandaid or gauze and tape, I got some RIte Aid Liquid Bandage.  Experiment was successful and it has started to scab over.  To remove you put another dab on and wipe off quickly.  No redness, no rash.    This is not recommended over sutures or for large areas, but for those nicks and scrapes it will be my first choice.

Nancy 

• hymil
    hymil Member Posts: 177
    Options

Itching and blistering can also be caused by fungal infections, so make sure any bandaged area is not getting too hot and sweaty. Not so easy to do when it's in your cleavage or underboob-fold or heavily wrapped with maybe damp dressings....  bleeehhhh.

I'm still shocked the hospital isn't doing this for you, have you written to the comnplaints department? Because although you have the energy and perseverance to follow through with your experiments and the resources to get your information and your own supplies, not many other patients would be this capable, and in your position they would then be suffering unnecessarily as a result of the hospital not doing its job.

• Trickling
    Options

Oh! NO! I spent more than an hour inputing my self-testing of adhesive samples from the WOCN over the weekend and when I went to delete something after clicking PREVIEW, the whole thing disappeared. Will try again tomorrow night.

SO SORRY.

• Trickling
    Options

GramE I can't believe I forgot to get some Rite Aid Liquid Bandage that you have found so helpful. I promise you and the others who mentioned similar products that I will test them next time around. I will have to wait a bit to let my RT top Breast heal and rest a bit before another testing.  I am not brave enough to test on the underside of my breast or right side where it will take longer to heal from the allergic reaction to the paper tape used on the punch biopsy.  Testing my LEFT Breast is out of bounds.

Be sure to keep in touch and good luck with your eye surgery. 

• Trickling
    Options

hymil Thanks for the reminder about folded skin areas. Love your description as ....  bleeehhhh.

I am trying as hard as I possibly can to post as detailed as I can so as to help others as much as I can. You and everyone who has posted knows posting takes a lot and the tiniest comment is precious and ever so helpful.

I hope some of you find going to the complaint department helpful and will share that with us.  At this time, based on my trying to respectfully raise the issue among medical staff, I think my going to the complaint department would get no where and perhaps worsen.  I have considered switching to another medical center but horror stories seem to abound everywhere and without personal first hand experiential recommendations switching not something I think I could handle at this time.

I do not like to say this but I think if I were a person with monetary resources my scenario would not be so stagnant. I am not on public aid but do have a low paying job with so far good medical benefits.  On the other hand, I probably would not have started this thread which has proven the great help we can be for each other and, sadly, the pervasive need.

Hope you keep posting with all your heart. 

• Trickling
    Options

OK! HERE IS MY COPY/PASTE attempt  at sharing this weekend's self-testing. 

>> Here is the self-test I did over the weekend and the test results of some sample adhesive products given me by a WOCN. Hope this format facilitates.

>> I will try continuing the test through Tuesday, May17, 2011.

>> I hope all of you find a way of meeting with a certified WOCN (Wound Ostomy Continence Nurse).

>> Please remember we are sharing and what works for one person may not work for others or at another time or part of the body.

>> In my opinion we should confer with medical staff before trying any of these products.

* All samples APPLIED Sat 5/14/2011 2:45 PM and 4-5 inches in length

** 3M Durapore (ribbed silk like material) (tended to lift off at edges)

** 3M Micropore (reminds me of paper)

** 3M Transpore (translucent impressed with tiny squares)

** 3M Medipore H (soft white cloth surgical tape)

** DuoDERM extra thin CGF hydrocolloid dressing by ConvaTec 

*** (beige or flesh colored reminds me of what synthetic skin might be like) self adhering sample was about 6”x6” which I cut into strips

** 3M Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film

*** Applied to each set: lengthwise, 1 layer, left side of set as in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d28fNUiH68M

* LOCATIONS FOR TESTING: 

** RT under Arm elbow to wrist

** RT top Breast slightly left of center up to edge of areola (almost ran out of space!)

** RT top Thigh to knee

* ALLERGIC REACTION only to following

* RT top Breast (other test areas did not exhibit allergic reaction)

** 3M Durapore (also tended to lift up at edges)

** 3M Micropore (also tended to lift up at edges)

** 3M Transpore (also tended to lift up at edges)

* DESCRIPTION

** redness & blisters

*** including in area with 3M Cavilon (I had applied only a single layer of this Barrier Film)

** removed allergy producing products Sunday, 5/15/2011 2:00 PM

** washed affected areas with saline solution

** applied Mupirocin 2% Ointment TEV (I am allergic to over the counter anti-biotics I have tried)

** left skin bare to the air :-)

*** Monday, 5/16/2011 AM again washed allergy reaction area with saline solution but applied only over the counter CVS Hydrocolloid 2"x2" dressing over the blister off of which I accidentally pulled the skin while removing sample tape. I did not realize so much blistering was going on.

**** I did not apply Mupirocin as I need to find out if hydrocolloid can be placed over Mupirocin applied area.

*** CVS Hydrocolloid is made to remain on skin for several days.

**** Compared with CVS Hydrocolloid, DuoDERM extra thin is actually thick.

* BTW, I notice ConvaTech makes a DIFFERENT surgical cover dressing that looks like a “bandaid”

** Main Link

http://www.convatec.com/en/cvtus-productsus/cvt-products/0/accessser/0/399/0/products.html

** “bandaid” link

http://www.convatec.com/en/cvtus-productsus/cvt-products/0/byproductt/0/399/0/products.html?franchise=364&typesearch=430

• Trickling
    Options

ALL ADHESIVE SAMPLES REMOVED. 99% Isopropyl alcohol removed adhesive residue after being tape being left on so long - a bit too long for me.  Neither soap nor vaseline removed adhesive residue and I did not have rubbing alcohol. Tried Johnson's Baby Oil without success. Thanks.

• Trickling
    Options

IV drips, etc. areas. The following is a quote from a private mailing to me about allergic reaction in these areas.

>>> to treat/prevent contact  dermatitis under the sterile transparent thin film dressings (they look like saran wrap and are used on IV sites)

1)       Avoid use of steroid topical products on the skin including steroid sprays under tapes/dressings as long term use (more than a week?) can thin the skin and make it more susceptible to injury.

2)       Some patients who are sensitive to 3M Tegaderm are not sensitive to competing brands such as Smith & Nephew IV 3000 or J&J Bioclusive.

3)       Allow skin preps such as 3M Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film or Smith & Nephew Skin Prep protective barrier wipe to dry a full 30 seconds before applying a dressing over it. If using chloroprep it must dry a full 50 seconds before applying a dressing over it.

4) 3M reportedly has information on skin manifestations of cancer and chemo/radiation treatments.  If you contact 3M they can send you the information in a pdf. File. <<< END QUOTE 

• Trickling
    Options

RadiaDres GEL DRESSING especially when first refrigerated received thumbs up in other BC discussion group entries re radiation trauma. You might want to use BC Forum's SEARCH area. Here is a link I found of one company's description of RadiaDres.

http://www.medicaldepartmentstore.com/RadiaDres-p/radiadres.htm 

If the above link does not work, GOOGLE search radiadress. When I did the search the above link was at the top of the list. Many others are listed but for convenience here is the above link's description of RadiaDrss Gel sheet.  It comes in different sizes.

A sterile polymer sheet consisting of 89.5% water combined with 10.5% cross-linked polyethylene oxide matrix in a 4" x 4" gel sheet specially targeted for the management of partial thickness wounds relating to radiation-induced dermatitis. This dressing has a high specific heat to provide a cooling effect, is hydrophilic, and will absorb at least three times its weight in water, serum, or blood. The RadiaDres™ Gel Sheet may be refrigerated for maximum cooling effect.
  • Trickling
    Options

This thread's easy reference TABLE attempt DISCONTINUED. Sorry, but I am unable to keep up with it.

Suggest you all just scroll through this thread.  Using the SEARCH feature of BC Discussion Groups is also helpful but the resulting list can be long. 

GramE  I will still be happy to send you the table I have if you send me a private e-mail with how I might get the table to you.  Send you positive energies the many times I see the advertisements showing a little kid holding two pineapple slices over his eyes. 

• rmf
    rmf Member Posts: 2
    Options

mefix, porus clothish adhesive stickes but not to painful to remove... it comes in a roll you have to cut it yourself & stretch it to get the backing off. i have been bandaging for almost 8 weeks now with it . i dont think i have an allergy , but for a little while my skin would disinegrate if i taped in one area too often

• rmf
    rmf Member Posts: 2
    Options

sorry  i forgot to mention it reminds me of medipor , but the adhesive on the mefix seems a bit more gentle

• GramE
    Options

I remember getting some kind of individual packet of adhesive remover for steri strips - like one  alcohol wipe packets.   Very gentle, oily, cannot remember the name to save my life...   and it worked great.    Got it from surgery center nurse - 3-4 years ago.    I think I also remember someone saying to use baby oil to remove adhesive.

Thunder rumbling,   Hugs, Nancy 

• Trickling
    Options

I am not a member but found the entries of the following diabetes forum about adhesive allergies helpful.  Makes me think becoming friends with medical personnel involved with diabetes might be a way of uncovering some avenues of relief and maybe even some SAMPLES???

Some of the products mentioned IN DESCRIPTIVE USE CONTEXT include SkinTac (over the counter skin barrier), tepezcohuite ( a pomade ointment), Smith Nephew, IV Prep, Bard Protective Barrier Film (more barrier films), spray called Cromolyn, (Nasal Chrome, Benamist), Hollister Skin Gel Barrier wipes, BABY OIL vs other adhesive removers, Opsite and Steri-strips, Hypafix

http://www.diabetesmine.com/2008/07/medical-adhesives-my-allergy-hell.html 

Another resource = The following is a quote which refers to neomycin and bacitracin relative to adhesives.  I am allergic to Neomycin Sulfate and Bacitracin.  From my GOOGLE search: allergy to medical adhesive

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/572962 >>> We were able to identify an allergen in four patients that was related to their presumed adhesive allergy (Mastisol, neomycin/bacitracin [two different patients], and cortisone-10 cream, respectively). However, there were no positive allergic reactions to the tapes or bandages or any relevant allergic reactions to our customized adhesive tray. Eight (73%) of the 11 patients who had the bandage or tape left on for 7 days had an irritant reaction.   <<<

• Trickling
    Options

Delilahbear Did that nurse ever order a box of LATEX FREE gloves for special office use by the doctor who "hates" latex free gloves but wears them during hospital setting?

I realize you may have to inquire well ahead of your next appointment. Did you see the May 3, 2011 by leaf?  She may be able to supply you with a name to pass on to the nurse about latex free brand of gloves which might be better fitting.

Someone mentioned getting extra friendly with staff.  Sounds as if you and this nurse are friendly being that she admitted she should order a box of latex free gloves for special occasions.

Hey! You are a "special occasion" wherever you are :-)

• Trickling
    Options

*** Mystery Company - DOES ANYONE RECOGNIZE this product?

At 0.13 on the time line of the following video, the front of the focal package is displayed. I could not make out the name on the package with a magnifying glass.

It looks like the next best thing to a roll of tape.  The presenter specifically addresses the adhesive clear plastic's versatility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0PNt5VQy5w&amp;feature=related

*** DuoDERM
    I found the above video when I discovered the following video re DuoDerm hydrocolloid, which by the way also introduces hydrocolloid dressing available shaped as a heart (adaptable for geometry of breast ???) and another shaped for use on the heel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gKMz7x04OM&amp;feature=related

*** PrimeSource

A GOOGLE search of primesourceny, the source listed with the video, reveals Prime Source as some kind of intermediary purchasing agent organization rather than a manufacturer. 

• Trickling
    Options

HYDROGEL - HYDROCOLLOID -TRANSPARENT = wish me luck! During my early June appointment, I have decided to ask my dermatologist to specifically ask the wound nurse or someone to test me for each (or at least high percentage) of these DIFFERING kinds of products and the competitive brands within each that my provider center uses, i.e., has on hand.

I am also going to ask that they (pieces of them) be applied to my right (healthier) breast as well as placing the remaining pieces of the product at least on my arm. No waiting for testing at the moment of surgical need.

>>> Personally, I feel the HYDROGEL and HYDROCOLLOID products may point to the path of least allergic reaction for many of us.

I know I am allergic to the transparent 3M Tegaderm transparent tape and some of other products they use.  I am going to try to use that and my recent self-testing as an argument to my advantage.

Do I think I should be the one having to take this direct initiative in view of my history? No. At this point, I believe I must and am incapable of procuring and properly applying on my own. (I don't think any patient is capable or should be forced into this kind of situation.) I do not think my initiatives and promptings thus far have been sufficient nor seemed to have inspired such activity to be initiated by staff. I don't know and i really don't care in the sense of feeling responsible for pursuing what kind of internal organizational dynamics may be going on in the background to cause such "hesitancy". Many of you have revealed the same "hesitancy" going on.

If I am refused, at least I will have something very definitive to move forward with in conjunction with my medical history.

BTW, today, I went to GOOGLE IMAGES and made three searches: 1) hydrocolloid 2) hydrogel 3) transparent medical dressing.  I confirmed for myself that there are many different SIZES. Yes, and shapes!  I wish I had GOOGLED IMAGE sooner and encourage you to do so.  However, be prepared for some graphic images to also show up.

I did not find the MYSTERY TRANSPARENT DRESSING shown in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0PNt5VQy5w&amp;feature=related

but I admit to not viewing all the images.  Also, some of the promising links I did open did not present an enlarged image.

Hope everyone will keep sharing so that we and visitors can keep making headway from this thread! 

• WoundCare
    WoundCare Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hello - my company picked up your story and we want to offer some resources for you. We at Molnlycke Health Care offer a line of wound care products with Safetac soft silicone technology that replaces traditional adhesives. Safetac technology is less painful upon removal and helps to reduce the risk of blistering compared to traditional adhesives. We have a number of products to meet your needs, and they do not require the use of skin preps, etc:

Mepitac tape - a soft silicone fabric tape - ideal for patients with allergies to tapes and fragile skin

Mepilex Transfer - a unique dressing that can be used over sensitive areas and during radiation therapy treatments. It conforms to body contours and is available in an assortment of sizes from 2" x 3 to 8"x 20"

Mepilex Border & Mepilex Border Lite - all in one absorbent island dressings with a moisture proof backing film. Sizes range from small puncture site (1.2"x 2") up to long incision site (4" x12")

More products and our clinical evidence may be found at www.molnlycke.us

We are more than happy to send samples - please send a request to info.woundcare@molnlycke.com or call our Customer Service at 800.882.4582

• Trickling
    Options

Hope many of you will contact post by wound care and try samples. I definitely will do so when I return home to desktop computer.

Thanks for the posting wound care!
  • Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206
    Options

I will definitely contact wound care's site for more info and samples. I had stitches from some lipoma removals under my arm today and PS was dismayed at the adhesive inflammation/blisters from paper tape I had used to keep bandages in place. Next time I will be more prepared for the extended tape use. The silicone tape sounds interesting and promising.

• Trickling
    Options

I just  sent reply and request for samples to post by WOUNDCARE on May 24, 2011.  I was away at a work related event this week. Yep! Within state but with tornado warning at one point.

• hymil
    hymil Member Posts: 177
    Options
    I just wanted to chip in that Woundcare's contribution above could technically be considered against forum rules or spam, marketing whatever, but IN THIS CONTEXT i feel it's a really useful contribution to the thread so can we please not have it deleted. Thankyou.
  • Trickling
    Options

SmileClue = ALLERGENIC CLINIC vs DERMATOLOGY Happy to announce that my PCP has replied to my latest request by notifying me that he will request I be tested for allergenic reactions via the provider's ALLERGENIC CLINIC to my medical provider's adhesive (and antibiotic) products.

Please note that, in my situation, expectations toward avenues of resolution via dermatology were not forthcoming.  I share this with you because your provider's bureaucracy as well as attitudes and other non-medical stuff may also be factors in addressing your medical needs. Let's continue to share our Sherlock Holme's investigative tools.

I intend to phone Molnlycke Health Care (See May 24, 2011 7:57 AM) this afternoon if I do not receive a reply to my e-mail.  I want to include their sample(s) in the testing. Feel free to initiate  your own activity in this regard.

A HUGE THANK YOU to hymil (May 27, 5011 6:28 am) for recognizing the need for exceptions and having the courage to speak for them.   

• GramE
    Options

I emailed Molnlycke also but have not received a reply.    If my life gets less complicated, I will phone tomorrow (Thursday).   Interesting about "allergenic clinic" versus dermatologist.    I was never thrilled w/derm who wanted me to take steroids on a regular basis to prevent reactions.   My approach is to know and avoid the allergens.   My system has more than its fair share of IV steroids with chemo and herceptin for a year.    I am curious how Medicare will handle things like "brand names" - but I do have a supplemental policy.     

• Trickling
    Options

Please see details of posting by WOUND CARE dated May 24, 2011.  Best to have these on the screen when talking with a representative.

Had fine conversation with Emily J. Butcher,Marketing Communications Manager, Wound Care Division, Molnlycke Health Care US, LLC.  She was unaware of the posting.  Emily is sending me samples.

I encourage each of you to PHONE and request SAMPLES. 

• GramE
    Options

I phoned Emily and left a message.   So far no reply.   I also emailed the company with no reply.    

On another note, I phoned G-Sleeve and left a message for samples of their product.   It is an alert for lymphedema risk in neon pink.   Since I am a mentor for newly dx BC patients, this is an excellent way to introduce a product that can help reduce complications.   Linda will be sending me samples in various sizes and brochures to distribute to medical personnel and patients.    Phone # is 1-866-9SLEEVE.     

• GramE
    Options

Please do not take this as an advertisement for the product.   I am passing on helpful info with no vested interest in any company or product.   

• upsparent
    upsparent Member Posts: 1
    Options

My surgeon suggested panty liners, you can cut the to the shape you need add antibiotic cream and stick the adhesive stripe to the bra, breast wrap or camisole you wear. The are big,i used the unscented kind and my skin did well. Hope this helps. Credit goes to Dr. Irene Wapnir at Stanford

• Trickling
    Options

I did a GOOGLE search for g sleeve and found that the first listings could not be accessed.

However, I want to share the substance of the link that I did find having to do with the history of the invention of g sleeve.  The invention came about when a nurse, Gina M. Santosuosso, RN, BSN, found that she had done the unthinkable and came up with the design.  Here is the true story

http://www.lymphnotes.com/story.php/id/418/ 

It had never occurred to me to consider night time or grogginess of the patient in terms of even conscientious staff mistakenly using body sites which otherwise would have been avoided.

Would luminous printing react to the minimal light of night in hospital rooms? Should the whole sleeve be luminous? Just thoughts that came as I speculated adapting the message of the sleeve to adhesive allergies or other conditions.  Maybe we should all go back to having teddy bears in our beds - high tech teddy bears that rise up at the approach of medical staff. . .