Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Adhesive TAPE - help need to find non-allergic

Options

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,090
    Options

I'm trying to determine if the Kinesio tape for LE is messing with my skin.  Still undetermined as of yet, but the darn Danskin sports bras are rubbing raw spots.

• Trickling
    Trickling Member Posts: 295
    Options

Minus Two:

You continue to be a real trooper!  Sorry to learn of the sports bras rubbing spots.  I have not worn a bra for a long time and really miss the support, particularly as I have large breasts and therefore a high tendency for irritation simply because skin fold contact. Fungi love these kind of locations!  

It seems as though everytime I plan to try to get some kind of bras - even a "sleeping bras" - something pops up to interfere.  Sports bras haven't worked for me. Conditions are looking good for getting a bras in the near future. I am also planning on somehow attaching flannel or such around the elastic band, given my allergy to latex. For a while I was wearing T-shirts under my bras and that is not only fashion inhibiting but hot.  Currently, I make do by wearing 100% cotton men's T-shirts without sleeves. 

The kind of irritation I experience can happen to normal skin anywhere there are folds.  A couple of years ago, I my doctor suggested I try a type of ointment which I find in the athlete's foot section of CVS Pharmacy. This antifungal cream is USP CLOTRIMAZOLE 1%.  Just a little bit of this cream provides almost instant relief.  However, when it comes to traumatized skin from surgery or the like, everyone should definitely first get the okay from their doctor before trying even a little of it.

For application of the Clotrimazole and many other medications, I get a box of latex free gloves and periodically chop the fingers off and slice the remainder of each glove into two usable sections.  I keep the newly formed applicators in a plastic bag ready for easy use.  Cheap and efffective! 

• minustwo
    Options

Trickling - I'm only wearing the sports bra short term while waiting for my order to arrive for my first compression bra to combat truncal & breast LE.  Thanks for the anti-fungal info and the application tip w/cut latex gloves.

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    Options

I was skeptical of the "GENIE BRAS", advertised on  QVC.  They sell them at Bed,bath and beyond, and I had a 20% off coupon.   Info on another thread here said to "size up" if you are large breasted.   I got their 2X ones and found them to be the perfect thing for me.    My usual size is 38D.   

They do have elastic, so I am not sure about the latex allergy.   Since I donot have LE, I cannot comment on that.    (edited to add bold face type) 

• minustwo
    Options

GramE - good review.  I'll check it out.

The second application of Kinesio tape for my LE will be the last.  When I tried to get it off - in the shower w/water & soap - a good layer of skin also came off so I have some red areas.  Also have a raw spot on the side on one breast.  I'd been treating w/neosporin & bandaids, but it's spreading so tonight I switched to gauze pads & Medipore tape. My own fault for thinking a bandaid for a couple of days wouldn't hurt.

Trickling - did you get a chance to test the Johnson & Johnson First Aid Secure Comfort?

• minustwo
    Options
    Sorry to report that the Medipore tape also took off a layer of skin trying to get it off.  The raw "hole" is better but now I have contact dermatitis all around that area & am using steroid cream.  That means I have to keep the area covered, so I'm back to my old stand-by - gauze pads & Hypafix.  Hope that doesn't disappoint me. I'm not changing the bandage tonight.  The nice folks at the Lymphedema & wound care center can get the first look tomorrow.
  • Trickling
    Options

Oh, Minus Two! I am so sorry to hear you got a double whammy from the Kinesio and the Medipore.

Please let us know what Lymphedma & Wound Care staff have to say.

}}}hUgs{{{

• minustwo
    Options

Trickling:

Thanks for your PM about CVS Hydrocolloid dressing.  I'm definitely going to get some.  It appears I can still use Hypafix over gauze pads to cover the Fluocinonide (steroid cream) to get rid of the contact dermatitis (rash).  At least the skin is still OK after 48 hours.

The wound care staff reminded me of something I'd forgotten.  Use feminine hygine mini pads to cover a wound and the back side has sticky tape to attach to your bra.  I used these exclusively on my BMX scars so I can't believe I forgot.  They could also be used for a wound anywhere - like on your arm - and the back side would stick to gauze wrapping that could be tied off. Voila.  No tape needed.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,795
    Options

I didn't t read every page but if Specialk hasn't commented, you should pm her trickling. She is allergic to everything and I am thinking she finally found something she can use.

I can tolerate the paper tape for a bit. Generally, I would change it once a day and that seemed to help a little.

When I was on iv antibiotics, my port was accesed doe two weeks and they had the access part covered with clear tape that held everything in place. I thought I would go crazy from itching but toughed it out as infection scared me worse. No blisters though.

• GramE
    Options

Bumping to keep this active.

• minustwo
    Options

And a bump from me.  I recommended this topic recently on another thread.  Hope we get some new folks with different experiences.

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    Options

My DRS used a perfectly clear tape and that was fine. The tape I already had on ( guidewire taped down) was causing a rash before the surgery even begn.  The drs. noticed it.

This tape almost looks like the ' clear liquid bandaid"  Maybe call your DR and ask if they have this clear tape ?

It really worked for me....good luck.

• Trickling
    Options

purple32:  Thanks for chiming in!  Any chance you could ask your medical staff for the name of this clear tape since there are more than one clear tape products out there in medical groceries land? Glad it really worked for you.

• Trickling
    Options

MinusTwo: Good idea!

• mrsnjband
    mrsnjband Member Posts: 64
    Options

MinusTwo, have you tried putting a skin-prep on before putting the tape on?  That is the only way I use any type of tape on my skin.

• GramE
    Options

Norma June - exactly what kind of skin prep do you use?   I am also allergic to the scrub soap used for surgeries - called Septosol.   

• minustwo
    Options

Norma June:  I too would like to know more about the skin prep.  Apparently I have lots of normal staf germs on my skin all the time.  That means I'm continually using Betadyne in addition to Dial Antibacterial Soap.  Since both are drying, I don't think that's what you mean.

Purple32: thanks for the new idea.  Hope your docs will tell you the name.

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    Options

I'm watching this thread too because I had a horrible reaction to the plastic looking bandage that they put on after my port insertion.  The BS used steri-strips, but someone at the surgery center put this bandage over the ster-strips.  When I removed the bandage because my skin was such a mess, it pulled off the steristrips.

• Trickling
    Options

OUCH, jenlee! Thanks for reminding us that we have to anticipate crazy even though well meaning actions like that and t-r-y telling staff: "No means NO!"

• jepajoci
    jepajoci Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi, I have the same problem. I found out I am allergic to the adhesive that 3m uses so it doesn't matter if it is paper, plastic, or cloth. I am able to use Smith & Nephew products just fine. my home infusion company carries them and they always send me extra. you can also order online. Hope this helps,

• jepajoci
    jepajoci Member Posts: 2
    Options

Sorry, forgot to add, the clear tape they make (an alternative to the dreaded 3m tegaderm) is called Op-Site, the package is white with orange writing and says IV3000 Smith & Nephew. We really need to rally on this. Being immunocomprimised and not having an alternative stocked in the hospital puts us at great risk of infection.

Jen

• 1cb
    1cb Member Posts: 1
    Options

I am also very sensitive to adhesives. I actually used a tube top and very minimal paper tape after my bilateral mastectomy!

It worked great!! It also provided enough pressure post op.

• minustwo
    Options

Here's a tip I used after my BMX.  I put Kotex pads and then later, "light day panti liners" over the incisions inside the surgical bra.  The "tape" on the pads or liners was facing out to the bra so that held them in place with no other adhesive.

And I sometimes used Glad press & wrap to hold gauze or drains in place so adhesive wasn't required.  That woud be hot in the summer but was OK in February.

• mrsnjband
    mrsnjband Member Posts: 64
    Options

Sorry I've been slow to respond about the skin prep.  With the change in website the I lost track of this thread.

The brand of Skin Prep I used is smith&nephew #420400.

I have used tegaderm but my skin doesn't like it too much.  I can't hospitals to use anything else if I have my port accessed for surgery. Ugh!

I have used DuoDERM Extra Thin dressing by Convatec.  I tolerate this much better. My skin doesn't like long term use of anything.   NJ

• velo
    velo Member Posts: 16
    Options

I had mentioned my band-aid sensitivity to the nurse ahead of surgery and they put an allergy wristband on me that said bandages. However the docs only ask me specifically what kind of bandages I'm allergic to when I'm half way to sedated already :) So I'm like uh the sticky kind... 

I have the tapes on and I am not supposed to remove them for a few weeks. I feel quite itchy and I'm wondering if I am having a reaction to the tapes or if its normal for the incisions to itch as they heal?

• Trickling
    Options

Velo: Sorry, to say, but in my opinion you're having an allergic reaction. Can you contact a nurse? One in whom you have confidence and feel comfortable talking with? I hope so. If not, I suggest contacting one who may not have made your "favorites" list. Please let us know. Knowing about dealing with the adhesives entails more than the chemical make up of the adhesives.  It is easy to feel "alone" in your dealings with these things. THANKS 

BTW, I have a soft spot for Canada!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBoItR59REQ

• minustwo
    Options

mrsng - Thanks for the smith&nephew info.  I've passed it along to a friend who's husband is on a feeding tube forever after esophegal & pancreatic cancer, along with the DuoDerm info.  I also looked up Tegaderm and they apparently have a new 3M "kind removal" silicone tape.  Wonder how that works?

Velo - I'm in agreement w/Trickling.  I couldn't even tolerate the Kinesio tape they put on me at the LE docs.  Sigh !!

• Trickling
    Options

MinusTwo and EVERYONE <<<<

>>> Please do a Google search for: 3M kind removal <<<

One of the listings is the opportunity for healthcare professsionals (ONLY) to request a SAMPLE CARD of this product.

I am alerting 3 of my healthcare professional about this without telling each of them that I am doing so.  I figure at least one of them will act upon the opportunity and not just on my behalf but others.  HOOOOOOray!

Special thanks to MinusTwo and mrsng (Posting May 27, 2012) 

• dressager
    dressager Member Posts: 2
    Options

i didn't read all the messages here so you've likely covered this: have you tried silk tape? that works best for me and i am highly allergic to adhesive. lately, my allergic reaction has been increasing because i've essentially been covered in tape for three months. the silk was wonderful for my recent diep procedure---it may not work next time.

for heavy duty wound stuff, i tolerated mepilex ag adhesive wound covers reasonably well: http://www.woundcareshop.com/mepilexagfoamwithsilverbymolnlycke.aspx

• GramE
    Options

bumping to keep the current info on the Active List.