Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Options

Comments

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited April 2011
    Options

Joan,  you go girl with that young boyfriend!  Good luck with your surgery, mine will be sometime this summer, I will be anxious to hear how it goes for you.

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited April 2011
    Options

Today was a rough day at work, I may have my hours cut.  Of course I'll take hours cut over no job at all, as long as I can keep enough hours to keep my benefit's...  I am still not over my sinus/ear infection and may have to go on 2nd round of antibiotics and my LE has flared up Frown I think I'll take a nap.

Good night all!

• burley
    burley Member Posts: 248
    edited April 2011
    Options

Welcome Randi!  Congrats on being done with chemo, and good for you being so upbeat after your MX!  Just last week?  Wow.  Definitely take the pain meds as long as you need to-I had people tell me to wean off of them too quickly and why?  Who was it hurting?  Thanks for joining us.

Hey Sue-yes on the BMX and reconstruction.  I had TE's (tissue expanders) put in at the time of the MX.  The fills were painful, but I got used to it after a while.  My actually implants were put in in August (ok, and November), and I'm happy with the results.  My nipples were just done 3 weeks ago, and I got my referral for the tattoo lady today.  Yay!  I'm sure everyone has great advice to offer you-just ask!  We're here to help.

Whoop whoop, Joan!  Go you, with the younger boyfriend!  And what's up with him thinking the TE's are hot-is he crazy?  Yay for you with the exchange on Wednesday-you'll immediately feel more comfortable.  Welcome.

I could make you guys jealous with the weather here too, but I'll be nice...just remember that when it's 115 here and I'm whining.

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi there, I'm new to this thread...

I'm 41 dx last Oct, chemo, lump, currently in rads.  I have a 20 year old daughter in college, so admittedly a lot easier than having little ones at home still while going though this, my hat is off to each of you that do!

I'm in chemopause, and would love any advice that can make this easier - I wish my hair would only grow back where I originally had it!  I seem to have two or three razor stubble in odd places - is this chemopause?  How many of you "returned to normal" and after how long?  My OC said it can take up to two years?

As far as drinking I don't only cause I'm a cheap, really cheap drunk....can't even handle the little 4 oz beer can!

I am triple negative, way overweight, so have gone extreme and trying to follow a vegan diet....

Radiation is making me tired already? on fourth treatment is that possible?

• torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Gina!  Welcome!  (but I know you from the Catholic thread too!)  :)

Not sure if rads can  make you tired this early in the game.  I just finished my rads April 11th, and really didn't get too tired at all...but I hear after the rads are over can hit you  hard too...that's kinda what I'm having...OR maybe...for me, it may all be in my head!  LOL!  :)

I started chemo at the end of September and had my period like a week after that, but haven't had one since....I'm still trying to figure out a way to make it easier on me too...I'm sure that someone will come along soon and give us some tips...

Wow, you went vegan?  How is that going and how do you start?  I too, need to lose some weight, but during chemo I ate what tasted good, so put on like 25lbs (plus the steroids did me no favors)..then I did rads and they told me I couldn't lose weight during that because of the precise way they need things to be during treatment...so now, here I am...trying to get on track and do what I have to do to get the weight off...it's so friggin' hard though!

At any rate...hoping to get to know everyone a little bit better as we make our way through this and on to bigger, better, and healthier days!

Tori

DE COLORES! 

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

WOOT, WOOT-PAGE 6!  Are you girls rolling your eyes because I keep doing this?  Ha

Michelle-sorry to hear about your bad day at work.  But yes, some kind of a job is better than none at all.  I hope your nap does you well :-)

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Gina, welcome!  Chemopause for me means I stopped having periods, I started having hot flashes, night sweats, weight gain, vaginal dryness...ummm, all the usual menopause symptoms I guess?  I'm sure everyone that is experiencing "chemopause" has some if not all of the same symptoms.  And oh yes, the hair.  It grew back everywhere I wish it wouldn't, including my face.  I now have a fine peach fuzz-luckily it's blonde.  I had it waxed once and broke out with the most horrible pimples.  I looked like I had a beard of zits.  Not a pretty picture.  I literally refused to go out of the house for 3 days.

As far as getting back to "normal", I have noooo idea.  I've never asked my Onc that.  I can imagine he would tell me every person is different.  I'm honestly not sure I will ever feel normal again.  Everything has changed so much, and I'm reminded of that each time I look in the mirror.  I think we all have a new normal, which hopefully resembles our prior selves.  Lol

• 37antiques
    37antiques Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2011
    Options

Good Morning girls!

Sleep was elusive last night, I am a tired bug today.

Yes, there is a "normal" again, the main thing is to just be comfortable with yourself during the transistion, bald, fuzzy, bearded, what have you.  There may be slight adjustments, but it's no different than the normal evolution of life. From child to teenager, that sort of thing. You are still you, so that's the great thing. 

Gina, do you think that vegan diet is making you tired?  Lack of protien maybe?

Don't worry about the weight, if you stress it will probably stick!  I ballooned up a couple sizes, but after tx it came off.  I actually dropped all my body fat for a while, skeleton like.  Now I'm back to pre tx me, with a couple scars to remind me that it really happened.

Have a good days girls, I'm off to wake round 2 for the buses!

• sagina
    edited April 2011
    Options

HI Sue, after I finished chemo on Valentines' day I saw the dietitian in the OC office.  Being triple neg I just want to do whatever I can to help myself since meds aren't an option after rads, I think it's all in my head. A lot fat diet and excercise were the two things recommended, and she went a step further and scientifically explained the animal protein and cell stuff....way over my head but I got the message.  Rads didn't start until last week, but in between I felt better than I had ever felt.  I no longer have heartburn, reflux, stomach aches etc.  I love veggies anyway, all kinds, and have even started trying to prepare the ones I would never touch before like artichokes...I have been careful to get the right protein between beans, nuts, tofu, veggie burgers but vegan diets are void of vitamin D and B12 - I drink an almond milk fortified with these but perhaps that is the problem.  Perhaps your right it is the diet, I think I better ask for a blood test to check the levels. 

• SusanHG
    SusanHG Member Posts: 455
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Gina,

Glad to see you are on here as well!  I am on the Rads thread with you.  I contemplated going vegan after diagnosis, but decided a pescatarian diet works better for me.  I think the clincher was when  I tasted vegan chocolate.  It was so bad!  I realized then and there that I could never be vegan.  I do try to slip a few vegan meals in though and am having fun experimenting with this different way of cooking (I am starting a vegetarian/vegan class through community education tomorrow night).  For now, I am only eating seafood.  Well, except for the last week or so.  I was feeling so bad after rads that I decided to allow myself a little chicken and a big, extra rare piece of beef.  I'm actually wondering whether I feel so well this week  from including a little meat in my diet. Feel just about 100% today.  Hard to believe because after the first week I was dead to the world.  Went to the rad onc today and he says I am right on track, but might start to feel tired next week (I had tx. #12 today). Oh, by the way, I'm Triple Negative too.  My medical oncologists wants me at the bottom of my weight range, not just within the weight range, the BOTTOM.  I really don't know  how I will do it, but I am going to try with everything I've got once rads are over.  Also, I have gone almost totally organic and pasture raised dairy.  If I cheat and have meat, I make sure it is pasture fed as well.  Too many omega 6s in regular meat and dairy.  In my opinion, this simple change in our food supply has really put a toll on our bodies. Probably why your nutritionist is recommending vegan..A vegan diet will never kill you.

Susan

• sagina
    edited April 2011
    Options

Tori ~ let me come real clean real fast - I am way overweight, not a little, a whole bunch, and I know that this is a risk factor for cancer, I understand it's not the only risk but it's one I can try to control.  When I met with the dietitian she said what is your goal? I said to not get cancer again. and she said then it's simple, when you reach for something in the grocery store ask yourself will this get me to my goal....it clicked for the first time since I gain all this weight 15 years ago, it all made sense, and I could kick myself for never thinking like that before.  When I want something that is not in the best interest for me, I really do catch myself asking myself, will this get me to my goal....

I went cold turkey (lol).  I eat a lot of spinach and beans, all kinds of beans.  I'm challenging myself to go to restaurants and find something on the menu I can eat.  I haven't found a place that won't modify a dish for me. 

Susan~ I loved seafood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's my true "weakness".

• Kymn
    Kymn Member Posts: 887
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi ladies, popping in from work,

37antiques I have heard really good things about straterra too. Not one that we have tried with DS but they might suggest for DD, havnet gotten to that stage yet. It just stopped snowing here too, wehad 2 nice days now its getting yucky again. Mother Nature is a white witch lol. I wasnt really given the option for mx, am hoping all will be ok with my two lumpectomies you just never completly know do you if you made the right decisions.

Kitty Dog, I am glad your DD is getting some good effects from the medication, its so important for them to gain back some confidence. The medication is important for those who truly need it. I have no doubt there are alot of children out there who have been misdiagnosed and that it is a hot button topic amongst parents but truly we moms know when our children are just missing something. Try not to worry about the dosage, the actual amount each child needs depends completly on how much their individual brain lacks the production of dopomin that their brains need to concentrate at the appropriate times. The dopomine isnt produced enough to move into the frontal lobes of their brains and what is there retreats so when its needed its not their for them. The medication they take for their ADHD produces this important chemical in their brains. sorry you prolly know all this, I just feel so bad for moms who carry guilt about having to give their children medicine. Look at it this way, if they were diabetic we would give them how much insulin was needed not how much we thought was enough.

Hi Sagina, also a TN sister. Wow good for you taking the bull by the horns and doing what is needed to be done. You should be very proud of yourself and all the changes you are making for you. I am putting on a bit during chemo darn it,might do Weight Watchers after to loose whatever I end up gaing during this process....damn BC sucks hey. My Onc never told me to be at the bottom of my weight scale, just healthy weight healthy choices and moderation, we all know the drill lol

Sorry girls dont have much time so hugs to all I missed have a great afternoon

Kymn

• mom2one
    mom2one Member Posts: 51
    edited April 2011
    Options

I am off to Duke University tomorrow to find out if they recommend more treatment.  BMX with tissue expanders but with microinvasion and HER2+ my own oncologist wants another opinion.  Don't know why but I am very teary today.  I think it is because I had to go get all my records to take with me and I read through them.  I just feel really sad.  I've been doing well so I don't know why today I am having a mini breakdown.  I have enjoyed reading all the posts and I am so glad this thread was started.  Thanks for letting me vent. 

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

Sue-next time you're up, PM me so we can do nothing together.  I literally didn't fall asleep until 3:30, and then the hot flashes had me up every hour or so.  Luckily the husband took my daughter to school so I could sleep in.

I applaud you for the diet Gina.  That's a lot of work to do on top of everything else, but I have faith in you.  Keep us posted on how you're doing with the weight loss so we can encourage you.  Totally awesome.

Susan and everyone else going through rads-my hats off to you.  Kids, work and rads?  I don't think I could have handled it all as well as you girls are.  You're superheroes!

Hey Kymn-hope your day is going well :-)

mom2one-vent away!  Cry on our shoulders as much as you want.  That's what this whole site is about, and this thread-to support one another, and be a source of comfort.  I too get teary if I look through all my records.  It seems like I've come a long way, but they scare me to look at where i was.

I have a confession...I needed a gut check for some reason, and I was reading on the Stage IV  and Mets board last night.  I don't know why.  Those ladies are soooo awesome!  They are so positive in the face of adversity.  I honestly can't imagine having friends there who would possibly pass away.  Wow.  Such strong women.  Made me teary, until my husband yelled at me for doing it.  I think that was more his issue-not wanting to think about recurrence or anything like that.  Poor guy has been through so much with me-he works 6 days a week, 14 hour days, just so I don't have to go out and get a full-time job.  He's awesome.  I'm going to text him to tell him that right now.

Hugs to everyone-I'm loving this thread!

• MamaMia41
    MamaMia41 Member Posts: 35
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi everyone,

I have noticed a lot of you talking about diet and I'm wondering if this is something I should be looking into. My BS hasn't mentioned anything about that; should I be seeking this out myself (nutritionist or something similar).  I have read a little about diets to reduce cancer, but haven't looked into it too much, still researching surgery options now. 

I will most likely have lumpectomy re-excision and rads, so I need to do what I can to decrease recurrence rates because I am also ER-/PR-, so no Tamoxifin.

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited April 2011
    Options

Burley (Kim) - I follow several of the Stage IV ladies and I am in awe of their strength and how they continue to move forward through all the treatment ups and downs.   It is heart breaking when someone I have gotten to know passes away from this damn disease and my heart breaks for their families.  I am not sure why I am drawn to the Stage IV/Mets forum but I am and will probably continue to follow the wonderful women there...  

Definitely send your DH a text and give him a hug when he gets home, I often forget to let my DH know how much I appreciate him too.  Thanks for the reminder.

• sagina
    edited April 2011
    Options

Kymn~ if your in chemo eat whatever you want!!! My OC told me not to eat any of my favorite foods, cause I wouldn't want them anymore ~ so I ate McRibs, Wendy's, Burger King, I was so petrified about getting sick without much white blood cell count, I even tried to eat everything fried.  So after chemo, I can't even drive into a Mcdonalds without gagging, white rice on a plate same thing, and spaghetti sauce can't even look at it in the jar! So totally enjoy whatever food you can get in you during chemo.

I am down two more pounds since Friday....the pounds don't seem to be melting as fast as I would have thought, but clothes are fitting different.  Down 16 lbs since changing the diet.  Now to exercise!!!!

Momtoone~ it just is so surreal when you read that stuff....in our daily lives as we keep doing and going for others and ourselves you really don't reflect on it all.....keep you smile on your face and remember what I keep telling myself every day ~ I didn't know how much will power I had till I had cancer.....

• shooshoo23
    shooshoo23 Member Posts: 12
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi ladies,

Just popping in to say hi. I am finishing up rads tomorrow and I'm trying to get together some small gifts for all the rad techs. They are all such sweet kids.

mom2one- I am still very emotional. This is a very emotional journey and I'm not sure I'll ever get over it. Just like Kim said all of our shoulders are here for you to cry on!

Hope everyone is having a good one! 

• mom2one
    mom2one Member Posts: 51
    edited April 2011
    Options

Thanks so much to all of you.  Even though we haven't met in person I feel I have some supportive friends who understand what I am going through.  Hugs to you all!!!

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

Yayyy Gina!  16 pounds is awesome :-)

Enjoying a beer after I just spent over an hour shredding crap...sucks when you have to be so careful about what you put in your garbage.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2011
    Options

I work at a school in the Registrar's office... Everything needs shredding... yuck.

• christine47
    edited April 2011
    Options

mom2one-  good luck at Duke tomorrow.  I am a NC girl and my PS at Baptist is from Duke.  I think you are lucky that your onc cares enough to send your for another opinion. 

I saw my onc today, I have gained 10 lbs on chemo!  I was so mad, he was not at all worried and told me to eat whatever I want, when chemo is over, then he said I can get back to better eating and exercise. My last chemo is in two days!  I am then giving myself a week or two to get back to exercise and better eating.  I don't want to feel so fat when I have my exchange surgery this summer, my PS likes to take pictures, also want some hair back by then.

Gina- 16 lbs is amazing! 

Hugs to all tonight!

• sagina
    edited April 2011
    Options

I have a seroma that needs to be drained, going to hear from the BS tomorrow, maybe after they aspirate I'll get on the scale again?! lol...!!!

• mommyrnx2
    mommyrnx2 Member Posts: 19
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Ladies!  Burley: thanks for inviting me to this thread.  Seems very upbeat and positive!

I'm 39, will be turning 40 in July and just starting my journey with breast cancer.  All tests done, planning on bilateral mastectomy with tissue expanders with doctor I see now.  Awaiting to meet with the docs in Baltimore (where I plan on getting the surgery) and second opinion, although I can't imagine they would say anything different and my decision is already made. 

I am married, 13 years with two children, daughter age 9 and son age 7.  When I told my kids about mommy having breast cancer and having to have surgery, I explained they will remove my "boobies" and then put new ones back on (to make it simple, so to speak).  My 7 year old son immediately replied, "They are going to take off your boobies?" I said yes, but I'll have new ones.  He said " you mean like VELCRO??" Boy if it was that easy!  The one good thing with having young ones is that they are young enough to not be too serious and always making me laugh!

• christine47
    edited April 2011
    Options

mommyrnx2-- I want the velcro boodies too!   My boys (12 and 14) have said some of the funniest things thru this BC jouney (usually related to my bald head).  When you go in for your surgery, remember his velcro comment, bet  you will go to sleep and wake up with a smile!

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi all!  Just stopping by for a quick hello.  I have been buried for the last two days and through tomorrow, but hopefully things will get a bit more manageable by Thursday.  I have a sore throat which usually means I am headed for a cold . . . I really hope not.   About to go to sleep.  I have to get up at 4:30 tomorrow.  I am so not a morning person, so this is going to be painful!

Good night! 

• Slainte
    Slainte Member Posts: 55
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi everyone. I'm 45 years old. I was diagnosed in aug 2010, had LFT mastectomy in Sept, and started chemo in Oct. Did FEC-D protocol ( common in Canada) and am on herceptin until Nov . I have three children girl 18, boy 17 and another girl 14. I am a veterinarian and am back at work but plan on only working part time for at least a year, maybe forever :). I am waiting for PS appointment ( Nov). Yes it takes that long to get into prefered surgeon here ! Heading to Mexico with hubby and the kids on Sunday for "light at the end of the tunnel " trip. Yay.

Christine

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi mommyrnx2-welcome, glad you found us!  I'm sure everyone here will have tons of advice for you, just ask and you shall receive!  Funny velcro story-that's a classic.  You'll remember that comment forever.

Hi Christine-welcome!  WOW, November for an appointment with a PS?  Better be a good one!  Congrats on the trip-be safe, I hear there are lots of Mexico travel warnings right now.

Well, I had a choice of either joining a gym, or buying a fitness program I saw on TV-I'm such an insomniac, I end up watching all the dumb infomercials.  Normally I ignore all of them, but this looked like a good low impact workout.  And it has a 60 day money back guarantee, which I will definitely use if I don't like it.

I have an eliptical in my bedroom which I'm released to be able to use-yay.)  I am a big pile of mush from doing nothing for a year-well a little over a year since my BMX was in January of last year.  My Onc is fine with my weight, although I complain to him about the weight gain since I started Tamoxifen last August.  No weight change since the Arimidex last month, same as Tamox.

I hope everyone has a terrific day tomorrow-I'm just starting my insomniac evening.  Sigh.

• mommyrnx2
    mommyrnx2 Member Posts: 19
    edited April 2011
    Options

Good for you to get exercising again.  I have been rebelling since I found out my diagnosis! 

• Slainte
    Slainte Member Posts: 55
    edited April 2011
    Options

Thanks for the welcome. We are going to the Mayan riviera and will probably stay on the resort most of the time. My goal is to do nothing for 11 days, so hopefullynit will be safe. I was never much for working out, and then my friend took me to the gym and showed me a workout that was easy and gradual. She had BMX 5 years ago. I started going three days a week, and my husband comes and does the same work out but lifts heavier weights and does more reps. (and he hasn't gone to the gym for years so it's fun). We live in a small town with two gyms and one is well. "much less cool" than the other :). We go to the geeky one and my daughter calls it "average joes" from dodgeball. Lol