Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Options

Comments

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Irr - A trip to Greece in the spring, how exciting!  My chemopause lasted just about a year, now I am back to regular  periods every month.  I will be having my 2 yr cancerversary in June this year and life is starting resemble normal again, plus I have cute hair again  Laughing
  • burley
    burley Member Posts: 248
    edited April 2011
    Options

Look at us grow!  I'm so glad I started this thread!  (insert squeal of delight here-lol)

Oh where do I start...

Hello Cathy!  Welcome!  Definitely sounds like you're a busy girl with twins.  Wow, whew.

Hello Susan!  Welcome!  Congrats on losing the 30 pounds-that sounds like a lot of hard work.  Good point about giving yourself a break during rads.

Hello Michelle!  Welcome!  Our kids are close in age (DD is 11 and DS is 16.)  DD pushes everyone's buttons-she's a pistol.  And DS is also lost in his Xbox live-fun.  He hasn't spent enough hours driving to get his license, so I can't help you there.  I actually live in Queen Creek which is Southeast of Phoenix (I think you may be thinking of Cave Creek?)

LtotheK-welcome!

Cheryl-welcome!  I was too tired during chemo (and right after chemo finished) for sex as well.  Hubby was very patient and understanding.

Lynette-welcome!  Ditto on the eye rolling...that gets old really quick, doesn't it?

Sherrill-no real plans for Easter.  We're supposed to go out to breakfast with my in-laws, but I don't think everyone thought about how busy it's going to be?  Maybe I can let them wait and I'll show up once we have a table?  Ha

Jackie-thanks for saying thank you!  (for starting this group-I'm excited to see it growing!)

Kymn-I had a port for chemo, so I can't help you with the IV part.  Sounds really painful.  Is it too late for them to put a port in?

Christine-welcome!  Congrats on almost being done with chemo-isn't that an awesome feeling?  LOL about sex-I completely understand.

Paula-Hi!  Ditto on wanting the TE's out, and ditto with the problems sleeping.  I would take some pain pills the day of and the day after a fill, and I always take something to help me sleep.  Ugh.

Irr4993-welcome!  I am SO jealous about Greece!  I've always wanted to go.

Did I miss anyone?  My phone says there's two new emails, so as soon as I hit submit, I bet there will be new posts...

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

WOOT WOOT!  Page 3-yay!

My son went to his dad's for the weekend, so the nipples are out in all their glory!  (in a t-shirt, don't get any ideas girls.)

Bought my daughter a bathing suit today-my oh my, when did they start making little triangle bikini tops for girls?  Lucky for me, she likes tankinis.  Whew.  A girl after my own heart.  She also prefers really long shorts or capris to regular shorts-goooo me!  Ok her, not me.  I just feel lucky.

Today was (in this order): CVS, grocery shopping, home to put the groceries away, Ross, eyebrow waxing (they are seriously messed up since they grew back in), grabbed a bite to eat, Walmart, Target and finally, Famous Footwear.  Shoes for the husband, but hey!  How did that pair for me sneak into the trunk?  heh heh.  I am one of those girls who sneaks pairs of shoes into the house-I don't know why, it's not like I spend any money on myself-I just feel guilty.  Dumb, I know.  So anyway-I accomplished all that in 5 hours.  This morning at home was spent doing payroll, paying taxes and balancing checkbooks-always a joy.

Oh and I bought myself a bra-I think my boobs have finally settled into a 36C.  Right after the exchange I was a 36D, which I really liked.  But these fit my frame better.  Sigh. 

Oh, and funny...anyone know Snap On tools?  My husband is a tool junkie.  He came home last night with a big pink measuring tape/utility knife set. Heavy duty-nice (I bet they'll somehow end up out in his shop.)  And the Snap On guy gave him a big pink towel for me for free.  Now mind you, this is a huge beach towel, pink, with Snap On written across it in gray letters.  And he threw in a pair of pink socks-pink Snap On socks.  WTH!  Where and when am I going to use either one?  Camping maybe?  It was very nice of him, though.  Just funny.

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi, gang!

Burley, you should squeal--this is such a nice board.  And you're so on top of it all!  :)  

See...now, I can't even remember who it was on the previous page who said her doc has written her off (and vice versa).  Hell, I'd really find someone else!  I'm at Dana Farber, and I really like my onc--thank goodness--but that was advice that came from a few people--if you don't like your doc (and I dont' just mean "like" in personality b/c that's not really THE most important thing--ask for a new one and you'll get one!  I think I lucked out.  Although it IS a bit weird to me that I am 39 and older than all of my doctors.  :)  

Anyway, nice to see you all here! G'nite!

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

Oh I would ask for a new doc too!  That's crazy.  At first I wasn't all that sure I liked my Onc, then figured out he's really quiet.  I have to ask a lot of questions to get the information I need.  And he's almost shy when he has to examine my boobs and armpits.  But I like him a lot-I'm not sure I would have gotten through everything as well as I did if I didn't feel confident in my Onc.  Too late to switch?

• LtotheK
    LtotheK Member Posts: 487
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi all,

I must admit, I'm so sick of doctor appointments I'm about ready to run away.  But...my oncologist hasn't said anything about the uterine thickening tests--I've been on Tamox for 4 months.  Who manages that?

And for those of us supposedly pre-menopausal and on Tamox, are you taking calcium?  My doc said it's a bone loss drug in the younger set.  Great.  And the latest studies on calcium are just plain weird--heart disease??

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

Uh what?  Calcium and heart disease?  I had to have a bone density scan before they took my ovaries out-showed Osteopenia (precursor to Osteoporosis).  Some bone thinning in my lower spine I think it was?  My Onc told me to take 1200 mg of calcium a day.  Plus vitamin D.  Then there's the B6 and vitamin E I take in the hopes they will help the hot flashes...plus the antidepressants..and Arimidex..oh and the sleeping pill at night.  I need one of those plastic pill containers like a little old lady.

• tougherthanithought
    tougherthanithought Member Posts: 270
    edited April 2011
    Options

Good Morning 40-somethings! 

I will echo those who said implants feel much better than TE's.  I am quite happy with mine, and love that I can sleep on my stomach again!

Kymm, I had a port, too, which was a Godsend.  With a year of Herceptin after 4 months of chemo, it was a must and I was so glad to have it.  Is it too late for you to have one put in?

Burley, I hear ya about the little girl bathing suits!  My daughter is almost 7 and I am shocked by what's out there for her size.

My kids are off from school for spring break (off all last week, until this Monday).  We were busy running around doing fun stuff (Six Flags, movies, park, library, out for lunch, ice cream), and now this weekend I'm ready to just relax!  Today we are coloring Easter Eggs, and I'll be making a Carrot Cake to take to my parent's house tomorrow, but other than that, I plan to just chill out.  Oh, I forgot I have a hair appointment later today.  18 months out from chemo and I finally feel like my hair is looking good!

The other morning I woke up with a horrendous stiff neck from sleeping funny and this morning it is just as bad.  So much so that I had to tap into my vicodin stash left over from surgery!  It is helping, though!

Sherrill

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited April 2011
    Options

Michelle - good to hear that the chemopause can reverse as late as a year. I enjoy not having a period, but worry about the heath issues from such an early menopause.

Burley - it is good you got around to liking your onco. I love mine, although she looks like she is about 25 years old. She is really easy going and does everything she can to make things easier on me. I greatly dislike her nurses tho - had a few problems there. But once I get past them to her, all goes smoothly.

She referred me to a new PCP. I wanted someone with experience with BC patients. My PCP is not taking new patients but my onco asked her to work me in. She too is outstanding! She met with me for almost two hours at my first appt and clearly had studied my records before I got there. And I like her personality. She has now done the same as my onco and got me an appt with a gyn who isn't taking new patients but who she thought I would like and work well with. If there is a silver lining to this it is that I am now getting great medical care!

Well, I sadly am off to work. While Greece is certainly exciting, I will have to work every day between now and then to get everything taken care of that might come up while I am gone. Ugh!

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572
    edited April 2011
    Options

Morning All!!!!  Its so nice to see that I will one day be able to sleep on my tummy.  I miss that so.  I havent been able to since my BMX.  I no sooner started healing from that and I had my port put in.  That was even to uncomfortable to sleep on my tummy with.  I take sleeping pills but I sill only get 3-5 hrs sleep.  I cant wait for the day.  I know quit your whining girl and put the big girl panties on, lol. 

My kiddos are to old and way to cool to color eggs.  I miss that.  My sissy and I had the funnest time with them coloring eggs.  I think we had more fun then the kids, lol.  O those were the days.  Ever since I was a young girl (and that was a few days back, lol) when it came down to the last egg we dumped all the coloring into one bowl and colored.  We call it the ugly egg.  We were more proud of that egg the all the others we did, lol.  Strange huh?  Does anyone else have crazy Easter traditions they did back in the day that you do still today?  I would love to hear them. 

Have fun in Greece, Irr!  Sounds like a dream. Enjoy!!!!   

• 37antiques
    37antiques Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2011
    Options

Irr we are all jealous!  The closest I came to Greece was a Greek boyfriend way back when, *sigh*.

You girls are all brave, taking tamox and keeping your body parts!  I had mine removed to lower risk instead, but I guess I'm still glad I'm not taking anything.  I couldn't stand the thought of chemopause and then menopause!  Effexor works wonders for those awful hot flashes, and I am oh so glad my doctor knew that!

The kids have been on a rotating schedule at gram's house for break, I'm going to round them up and make them color eggs!  They all give me a hard time, but too bad, I LIKE IT!  They let up once they have them in front of them.  We don't have any traditions, but I still insist on buying the old fashioned Paas coloring that uses vinegar.  Vinegar means Easter in my fruity little brain!  Is it really Easter?  We're still getting snow every other day here.  On the up side, I guess we don't have to mow the lawn as often.

Kymn, I had chemo in the veins, I'm glad I never got a port.  It's ok, they do seem to change but will return to normal after a while.  Be careful not to bang your hand on anything, it can hurt like heck!  My hand is about normal, although I notice my veins do pop up when I'm cold like a little old lady.  Of course that could just be age creeping in...

Burley, My MRI was clear, they think there's nothing wrong in my head (if only they knew me better!)  They're just going to watch me for now and wait for some fine specimens to develop in my left breast and sternum.  I have decided to learn the Limbo so I will fit into Limbo Land very well.  And my PCP (who is my favorite doctor) will do a complete check on my BW to see if he can find anything strange.  The whole thing is messed up, wouldn't you start there?  I swear, when I need medical advice I am better off on these boards than making an appt anywhere!

I'm off to my sister's this morning, she's lending me a gown for an upcoming BC research gala.  She knows I have reduced my wardrobe to comfy sweats!  Lots of doctors and oncs will be there, I think I'll chew on their ears for a bit if I can.  Any suggestions?  Anything to make treatment better, more tolerable?  I think that maybe it can be hard for the medicos to bridge the gap sometimes for treating us, and this may be a good opportunity.  Let them understand the other side, so to speak.  I understand my dress is blue, do you think they'll recognize me as a patient?  Burley, maybe you better lend me your socks!

• SusanHG
    SusanHG Member Posts: 455
    edited April 2011
    Options

Irr4993:  I love to travel as well.  I married a French engineer, so between the business travel and travels to his parent's home in the south of france, we get to do a lot.  Heading to Antwerp, Belgium and France at the end of June.  Hope I have my energy back by then.  I'm wiped out and only 2 weeks into rads!

• LtotheK
    edited April 2011
    Options
  • 37antiques
    37antiques Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2011
    Options

So here is some interesting information I picked up recently:  Chemo brain is now classified as an actual ailment!  Really?  Seems someone (without cancer) said they misplaced their car keys and diminished the whole thing, so it is now a fancy medical term.  Does this mean I will try to answer the remote forever?

Radiation has finally been linked to loss of fine motor skills, and it can have a delayed reaction (when I think of the money it costs to have a head MRI, really, just a rad SE??!!)

Glad to have validation, but I never realized it wasn't validated before.  I could have saved a lot of money.   These are new, I don't know if they will have any impact before someone changes their mind.

Red wine is healthy for us to drink.  Just red.  But we shouldn't drink at all.  Is there any clarification on that point?

Are all these things just to confuse us?  Like eggs and cholesterol, only eat the whites, no - no eggs at all, I mean just the yolk, nevermind, someone invented fake eggs!

So I now wonder, are some of these studies just put under the breast cancer blanket, but they only apply to certain types?  I mean, if IDC is different from ILC, wouldn't some other rule apply? Maybe only white wine applies to me because I'm IDC and only red because I'm DCIS so I should only drink blush varieties?  Thoughts anyone?

• Nicole112
    Nicole112 Member Posts: 130
    edited April 2011
    Options

Good morning girls!!!!

I'm Nicole, 36 at diagnosis, almost 39... come MAY! So glad you started this thread... I started to read posts and realized that we are on page 3, so I have some reading to do! I, too have young children, hold a demanding job, hubby, a dog and in the middle of a major remodel at home!

My kids are 3 and 12, both girls! I enjoy life, live it to the fullest, love red wine, friends, traveling, working hard, and managing Zometa infusions, Tamoxifen, Lupron shots every three months for maintenance... an oh yeah, lymphedema... I stll see my LE 3 times a week, but hey, I fit it in the schedule because THIS is the cards I have been dealt, and I will not ALLOWBC to interfere with my hectic life... LOL!!! Except for those occasional, ifnot routine nights I wake up in full ANXIETY mode... other than that life is GRAND..

Oh, final comment, anyone else get the wonderful side effect of weight gain! Seriously!!! Love you ladies, and I look forward to getting to know you better... Perhaps we can somehow "add at the top of the thread" all the members we have so far... not sure how they do it on other posts!

Have a great Saturday ladies, I am off to take my girls to an amusement park! HUGS!

Nicole

• Nicole112
    Nicole112 Member Posts: 130
    edited April 2011
    Options

Sue,

Your last post is HILARIOUS!... and they wonder why we have anxiety!!!

• dena44
    dena44 Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is Dena i'm 44 year old mother of 4. My youngest is 14! I was diagnosed in Jan of 2010. I have had 8 rounds of chemo, and I finished with my radiation on Feb 14. Now I am looking forward to my reconstruction soon. just looking forward to a day when I dont have to worry about all this, but I dont think that day will ever come. I try to stay positive, and take life 1 day at a time, and do things that make me happy now, My husband and my kids are supportive, but they never think anything bad can happen to me lol, its like they think im invincibleLaughing
  • o2bhealthy
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Sue - loved your post!! who to believe and what to believe is such a mystery.  It is nice to know that some of my SE's really do exist and I am not crazy (at least until 'they' change their minds again)Laughing
  • lrr4993
    edited April 2011
    Options

Susan - The rads were hard on me too.  I found it more difficult than chemo.  I was not tired at first, but the last 2-3 weeks I was exhausted.  I went home at about 4-5:00 every day (which is early for me).  I am still dragging from it.  I still have a lot of muscle fatigue.  My rad onco told me to give it about 3-4 months . . . I don't have that sort of patience!  I was in sedona with some friends for a long weekend a few weeks ago and managed to hike for over an hour.  I was so excited because it was the most exercise I had been able to complete since rads.  But I wanted to die at the end!! So tired!  I feel about 20 years older than I am sometimes.

Sue - my thought is this:  no one really knows anything about all of this. It is a crapshoot. 

• SusanHG
    SusanHG Member Posts: 455
    edited April 2011
    Options

Totally agree-definitely a crapshoot.  Medical research keeps changing things around every few days.

irr4993:  glad someone had the same experience I am having (except mine is happening sooner)  (well, not glad that you do but you know what I mean).  Tired of everyone saying that rads are not that bad!

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

I didn't sleep on my stomach before, so that doesn't bother me.  I probably could at this point.  I do have a gift certificate for a massage which I have had to keep putting off with all the ongoing surgeries.

Sue-glad to hear the results of the MRI are good!  And thank God someone has recognized chemo brain as being a real ailment-I feel like a crazy person sometimes!  The worst is a loss of vobabulary-I've been playing Scrabble on facebook trying to build it back up.

Yes, all the studies "they" put out.  Who knows what to believe any more!  You can put two articles side by side and they will both say different things.  Frustrating.

Hi Nicole, welcome!  I can definitely add to the top of the thread-all our real names, like a roll call.  Thoughts everyone?  It's nice to have one spot where we list our screen names as well as our real names.

Hi Dena-welcome!  I think my hubby and kids think I'm invincible too.  It's the tough face I put on.  I drove myself to and from all my chemo treatments and Neulasta shots.  Eh, who needs help.  Lol

Well, I just got back from 2 hours at Chuck E. Cheese...ear numbing.  The things we do for nieces and nephews.  Now I'm off to grocery shop.  Still getting used to my hair in public-eventually I'll stop thinking everyone is staring at me.

I hope everyone is having a terrific Saturday!

• LtotheK
    edited April 2011
    Options

Dena, I hear you.  I think the one thing that has been really great for my overall health is the fact that I finally realized I have limited power over things.  I do the best I can, and move on.  I don't know how long I'll be here, but in reality, focusing on the future is not the best way to make the most of the present.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572
    edited April 2011
    Options

I hear that LtotheK!  Hell Im tired of hearing do this or take that and you reduce your risk.  Then the next day oh no thats no longer the right thing do this instead.  Ive lost my boobs no matter what I did or didnt do.  So did my granny, auntie and sissy.  So from now on if I wanna eat that big ole piece of cake guess what, this chic is gonna savor every bite of that cake.  Sue just take all the wine and mix them together and then maybe that might cover it all, lol.  Its just so crazy anymore about what to do and not do.

• o2bhealthy
    edited April 2011
    Options

Agreed - I have made changes in my diet but I am not going to deprive myself of treats and an occassional adult beverage.  Life is short and I want to savor every moment I have.

• lrr4993
    edited April 2011
    Options

It is all really overwhelming.  The information changes daily and depends on so many factors.  I am trying to be healthier since my dx with the thought that if it does not prevent cancer, it will at least be good for my overall health.  As my mom said as I choked down some broccoli and joked that they will probably find out next week that broccoli causes cancer:  Well, we know broccoli did not cause this one.  But I am not going overboard and munching on grass all day every day.

• tougherthanithought
    tougherthanithought Member Posts: 270
    edited April 2011
    Options

I totally agree that you'll make yourself crazy trying to keep up with the ever-changing recommendations "they" make regarding health.  I led a healthy lifestyle before BC and I continue to do so, however, I will not deny myself things I enjoy because some feel it is "bad" for us.  I refuse to feel guilty for indulging in the occasional splurge. 

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

I honestly don't watch my diet.  I eat sugar, drink beer or an occasional mixed drink, probably eat McDonald's once a month...but on the other side we have vegetables with every meal, I don't fry anything, I only drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning.

I know what caused my cancer, and I know there's a chance of recurrence.  I've reduced the risk by taking Tamoxifen and now Arimidex, having my ovaries out, asking for a PET scan and a breast MRI after chemo was over...and I'll continue to ask for scans to make myself feel comfortable.

I'm not going to live my life dreading the future, no matter what the studies say.

• Makratz
    Makratz Member Posts: 1,605
    edited April 2011
    Options

Congrats on your thread Burley. I have 2 kids 12 and 15 both boys.  I just turned 45 and was dx at 42.  Looks like you've made a new group of ladies here.  I will try to pop on when I can, kids keep me busy, as you all know!!

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

Well hey Linda, fancy meeting you here!  I wanted to start a thread for 40-something's...a few of us here checked out the 40-60 year old thread, but they don't have young kids or teenagers for the most part, and are at a different stage in life.

I am really enjoying the ladies I've met here!  Welcome!

• lrr4993
    edited April 2011
    Options

Ha - burley - that sounds like a pretty good diet to me.  Mine pre-diagnosis was horrible.  Zero fruits/veggies.  I hate veggies and always have.  I love fruit but never ate it - not sure why.  I ate out a lot, including lots of fast food.  When I say I am trying to be healtier, I am now doing about what you described.

I wish I knew what caused mine.  I am triple negative with no family history and BRCA negative, so who the hell knows.  The only thing I had in the way of risk factors was poor diet.  I also never took vitamins.  So, that is the only thing I know to do to prevent a recurrence now that treatment is complete.  I am mostly trying to do low fat and get an hour of exercise per day, which my onco said had been showed to reduce recurrence in triple negative cancers by 40%.  But I totally agree - you cannot make it the focus of your life.  My approach to everything right now is better balance. . . better diet, more exercise, less stress.  

BTW, beer is totally fat free.  Although I am more of a johnnie walker girl, myself.  And I do enjoy a good margarita.  I have recently discovered prickly pear margaritas . . . yum!