Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Options

Comments

• burley
    burley Member Posts: 248
    edited April 2011
    Options

Oh sorry, almost forgot-Pam, good luck with all your results tomorrow.  I'm sure everything will be great!

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited April 2011
    Options

Wow Burley - Your thread is almost a week old and we have 29 members, its kinda of sad that there are so many of us but at the same time it is nice to have a thread to call home. 

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

Page 5-woot, woot!  I know, Michelle-I'm really happy it took off.  I love having a place to call home : )

• SusanHG
    SusanHG Member Posts: 455
    edited April 2011
    Options

Yes, I am so impressed with this thread!  Great job Burley, and thanks for getting us all together!

Happy Easter Everyone!

Susan

• SusanHG
    SusanHG Member Posts: 455
    edited April 2011
    Options

Irr4993:  Yes, my onco told me the same (I'm Trip Neg)...she wants me to keep my diet less than 20% fat.  I am having trouble keeping it under this number though.  Low carb diets have been the rage for so long that I forgot how to eat low fat!  I am just trying to get through rads right now, then I will really try afterwards.  Exercise is on hold for me as well.  My boob hurts way too much.  I can't get beyond a slow walk these days.

The sugar I am trying to keep under control, but Eastertime is a little difficult.  I feel so much better without the sugar, but I am an addict esp. to chocolate!  I didn't hear anything about sugar being bad for trip negs, but I did hear that cancer loves sugar.  So, figured reducing it couldn't hurt.  My biggest problem was sugar before diagnosis, so I'm hesitant not to watch out for it.  When I do eat it, it's because I plan on enjoying it, not eat it mindlessly.  Well, the Easter chocolate is going down pretty good and not sure I even remember most of it. :0   Maybe I should send my son's basket into school with him ;)

• Kymn
    Kymn Member Posts: 887
    edited April 2011
    Options

Happy easter all, kids had a great easter egg hunt it was actually nice enough to hide some outside this year usually there is still too much snow. DH is away at a couse he had to leave this afternoon so I dont have to cook a big easter dinner yipeee. lol. Kids and I are going to order pizza and watch the hockey playoffs.

DH and I sat around the firepit last night and had a few beverages, man it hit me harder this am that it normally would have guess I will have to limit to two or three on the weekends till all this crap is done.

I was very sad to see how long it takes for hair to grow back to something acceptable Cry I want it all back right away .

My DS and DD are both ADHD it can be a challenge for sure but they sure have some pretty neat personallities I wouldnt change em for the world .

As for exercise all I can say is I know I should...sometimes I try.....sometimes I dont I too just want to eat what I want right now, maybe its comfort food I dont know but not liking the weight gain thats for darn sure.

Ok I'm off Hope everyone had a great easter

• KitCat1
    KitCat1 Member Posts: 13
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Everyone!

Just want to wish you all a Happy Easter! The twins loved looking for the eggs this morning.  I made a  lovely turkey dinner and am now am wiped! Can't  wait till betime! LOL Have a great Easter everyone!

Hugs Cathy xo

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2011
    Options

HAPPY EASTER  everyone... I too am exhausted and all I had to do was show up for dinner... I can't imagine if I had needed to cook...I enjoyed my 10 year old neices and 16 year old son... and terribly missed my daughter who is off at college (freshman), but she did email me.. times a changing.

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

Kymn-everyone is different.  There was a lady at my PS office that finished one month before me, and her hair was about 3 inches long all the way around her head.  Maybe you'll luck out!  I was really happy my eyebrows and eyelashes grew right back in...

• Basia
    Basia Member Posts: 345
    edited April 2011
    Options

Sorry I haven't been around since I introduced myself.  Wow this thread is busy! I haven't had time to catch up on all the posts.  

Been running around doing all the Easter stuff with the kids. Had brunch at my mom's house, then went to visit my nieces, back to mom's for early dinner, then to mother in law's for dessert.  I am beat.  The girls were great with all this running around, usually they don't like being at my mom's but today they were great with all of it.  We did an egg hunt in the house this morning, the girls then decided to hide the eggs and we couldn't find one, we tore apart my entire living room and kitchen looking for this egg, finally found it under the china cabinet in the dining room which they swore to me they didn't hide any eggs in.  

I was brave enough to go to all these places today topless, no hat or scarf, I was nervous but in the end it was all good.  Nobody (even my annoying brothers) comented on my hair.  I finished chemo the end of January and have been hesitant about showing my crewcut to anyone.  

Hope everyone had a great weekend and Easter. 

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi All,

Add one more to the 40's gang, I'm 44. Betsy, I have a daughter who is a freshman in college, too. I miss her a lot, we did a lot of things together. She'll be home in a couple of weeks. I also have a son who should be graduating from college but he is missing one class so it will have to wait until August. I'm a year out from my dx and I'm doing fine except for the aches & pains from Arimidex. They are manageable though, I rang handbells at both services this morning! Happy Easter! Thanks for the invite, Burley.

• 37antiques
    37antiques Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2011
    Options

burley, is that common?  I never lost my eyebrows, just a few eyelashes here and there....crap, maybe it wasn't strong enough!  Trust me, the Medical Nightmare to get the dud dose of chemo...I only wore a wig once, to a Christmas party.  The rest of the time it was a cap that I knicknamed the Stupid Bean, sometimes just bald cuz it was too hot out!

How about some multi-colored deviled eggs mmmm.  Easier to snag up some peeps from the baskets though.  What?  Sugar?  No, you're mistaken, I see it's microwaves today!  Jelly beans are all good.  Free Pass!!

Totally exhaused and I didn't even make dinner. TY DH, even if he did break my brand new mixer on the potatos. damn. 

Such a fuss about coloring eggs and we didn't even have a hunt, nobody felt like it. 

I think I'm having a delayed reaction to tests or something, I started about 8 fights with DH and I am normally sooo passive it's ridiculous.  Ah well, nothing a peanut butter cup can't cure I imagine...

• 37antiques
    edited April 2011
    Options

Kymn, my son is ADHD, if you find anything effective PLEASE let me know.  We're trying to get him off his meds because he has a heart problem, but I just had to break down and start him again.  All the screaming and high strung emotion, I was really afraid he'd hurt himself.

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited April 2011
    Options

burley, what a great thread you have started.  Also much better than the 40-60 site, where this is described as "middle age" , we are all way to young for middle age!!  Hope everyone had a great Easter.  My boys aged 12 and 14 did not want to dye eggs this year, so sad.  They had the most fun with the scratch off loto tickets that my brother put in their baskets and cash is the eggs.  They are back to school tomorrow after one week off for break.  I am back to work until Thursday when I am off form my LAST chemo.  I am so happy to be almost done, one more week of feeling yuck, then I hope starting back to my new normal.  I am glad I will be able to chat with those of you who have already been thru this stage.  I hope the day comes when I am not thinking about cancer everyday. 

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572
    edited April 2011
    Options

Well I hope you all had a great day.  I know I sure did.  Man if I eat 1 more thing Im gonna burst.  We had some great food to eat.  Have leftovers for a few days.  Yahoo no cooking atleast until Wednesday.  Happy dance here.

Well I hope I finally got it thru to y mom that I do know that I have had my last fill no matter what the PS says.  I know I havent slept well since my BMX.  But  I was starting to fill so much better, then ever since the last fill Ive had new pains.  I tried to get this thru to her.  She wouldnt listen.  (OMG and this coming from the woman who says Im stubborn, lol)  Finally had to get abit nasty about it but dang, I know WTF Im feeling. 

Im not ready to go back to work just yet.  Id love to have just 1 more day off.  I just cant manage it.  I had to use any of the time I had while I was off due to the BMX.  Well I guess I will just have to wait until later this year. 

• stlcardsfan
    stlcardsfan Member Posts: 227
    edited April 2011
    Options

And here come's another one to join!

I just turned 44. Was diagnosed as my signature line says in 2009. Currently done with all treatment and just had my first (of many) followups with Onc. So far so good!

One step left in reconstruction - have that set for July.

Still working thru frozen shoulder issues, but the PT is helping a lot.

Was recently diagnosed with vertigo, thought for sure the stuff was up in my head, but scan came back clear! Yea!

Survived the Good Friday St. Louis weather in the basement. Tornado's were all north of us, boy was that scary!

Any of you 40-ish ladies going on the Vegas Re-union? It is the 3rd annual trip out that way, I am planning on going this year. Sounds like fun.

• MamaMia41
    MamaMia41 Member Posts: 35
    edited April 2011
    Options

I hope everyone had a great Easter.  We had a busy day of visiting with family, eating and driving around to see both sides of the family-will this ever get any easier?  I was thankful today that no one really asked too much about my recent diagnosis, just "how are you feeling?" and things like that.  Thank goodness, it seems like that's all I talk about sometimes and frankly it's not that interesting anymore.

I have been trying to read all the posts so I can follow along; its going to take some time to get to know everyone, but I have become addicted to this site so it shouldn't take too long.  I was so tired today because I stayed up late last night on many of the threads and my daughter decided to get up early this morning.  I should start learning the lingo, it should be DD, right, not daughter?  I will learn, I do the same thing in text messages, I write everything out and use punctuation too!

Tomorrow I have to go back to work after being on Spring break last week.  I really don't mind being there, but we start school at 7:30 and that's much too early for me, haven't gotten used to it and I've worked there for almost 10 years.  Well, I should be off to bed now so I can get up at 5:30. 

Take care everyone.

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

Sue-I thought everyone lost their eyelashes and eyebrows...I know most of my chemo group did.  Then 6 months after I finished, all my eyelashes fell out again!  I definitely felt like I had a STRONG dose-who knows.

I read everyone's posts as emails on my phone, then I come here and I'm lost!  Forgive me if I don't remember everything now that we've gotten so big.  I created a monster!  A very happy, loving monster.  Lol

Yay Christine!  Count down to your last chemo-that's awesome.  Congrats!

stlcrdsfan-hey, we were diagnosed 1 day apart.  Funny.  OK, not funny...hmmm, at a loss for a word-damn chemo brain.

Hey Lauren-I don't abbreviate anything either.  I'm a rebel that way.  Ha

I'm seriously stuffed-I just undid the button on my jeans.  I'm on my third Bacardi and Diet Dr. Pepper-managed to not burn myself on the oven in my buzzed state.  My bff brought red velvet cake for dessert-and man, did I have a HUGE piece.  Yum

• tougherthanithought
    tougherthanithought Member Posts: 270
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi girls! I hope everyone had a nice Easter!

My kids are still on Spring Break and they go back to school tomorrow.

Cheryl, I had a close call too with the kids realizing I was the Easter Bunny! My husband took them upstairs to watch tv in our bed while I did the baskets and hid the eggs. So his only job was to keep them upstairs...well I hear my daughter's little feet coming down the stairs, so I ran to catch her so she didn't see all the Easter stuff strewn about. As I bring her back upstairs, I see my son sitting in my bed watching tv and my husband fast asleep next to him! I could have killed him! Close call!

Although I don't think I'd be upset if my son figured it out. He's 9 and is still on board with all of it ...Santa, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny. I'm starting to feel like he's getting too old to believe and I don't want his friends to make fun of him :(

oh, I almost forgot... In case you all were wondering, brown eggs do not make for pretty looking dyed Easter eggs. I'm so used to buying the brown ones that I didn't think about it. I cooked 2 dozen eggs and when we sat down to color them, my kids were like, "why are we coloring brown eggs?". I told them that we should just try it since I didn't feel like running out to get white eggs ( and I also didn't want to eat egg salad for a week). Well they ended up looking very un-Easter like...ugly browns and oranges and pukey green! My kids were NOT happy! But it's something we will probably laugh at in years to come!

Sherrill

• Kymn
    edited April 2011
    Options

Good Morning Ladies,

Too whish we had had one more day off, I certainlly could have used one more sleep in day before heading back to work. My kids are off school this week, sounds like my American sisiters your kids holiday was last week. Lucky for me my DS is going on 15 so he can watch my DD who just turned 9 while I am at work. Kind of nice to have them so far apart in age.

Christine I have Chemo this thursday too, you must be so relieved to be going for your last one, this will be number 3 for me so I will be half way done....I am not feeling mentally ready for this round as number 2 really kicked my butt especially with the sickness and emotions...way to much crying. Will have to get the Onc to prescribe a different med for me this will be our 3rd try to get it right. I have seen alot of the women here suggest Emend so I will bring that one up to him.

37antiques there are a couple of us on here with ADHD kiddies, I think its Ir that has one too?? Sorry if I am wrong you know....CHEMO BRAIN.....lol.... What meds is your son on? How old is he? When my DS was first diagnosed the docs put him on ritalin, I hated it, he wasnt even the same kid and his appetite went right into the toilet. We had him switched to Concerta and it has been fabulous for him. Still eats, still my same boy just able to sit still and concentate when need be or if he wants lol he is a teenager so believe me sometimes he chooses not to nothing to do with the ADHD. My DD is just in the process of going through diagnosis but I already know what the outcome will be, I have been down this road before and if you have one child with ADHD chances are 50 percent their sibling will be, just luck of the draw I guess. I am very lucky that neither has ODD as well as that can go hand in hand although my DD I beleive has a bit of a learning disability as well, also common with ADHD, but she is only in grade 3 so will just take it one step at a time for now.

Stlcardsfan the trip to Vegas sounds like so much fun, I love Vegas and would enjoy going on that trip but I still have 4 rounds of chemo to go then rads so hopefully next year. I cant wait to hear how it went. When is it that you are going?

Tougherthanithought. I love your handle I feel that way too. My DD is so sweet and naive lol I too worry that she will be made fun of cause she still believes but she cant be the only one out there, I enjoy that she believes and will be a bit sad when she figures it all out as she is my baby.

Ok wish I could post to you all but am at work so better run. Have a great day all you lovely ladies

Hugs Kymn

• burley
    edited April 2011
    Options

Good Morning, gals!  Funny reading about the Easter Bunny stories...my daughter was 10 when she figured everything out (Santa, Tooth Fairy), and I'm pretty sure it was from kids at school.  My son was sworn to secrecy.  She had a friend that was a couple of years old than her that told her there wasn't a Santa when she was only 9...she came home and asked me and I said "do you believe there is a Santa?"  She said yes...I said "well there ya go-guess she won't be getting any presents from him, will she?"  That apparently worked for 1 more year. 

My daughter ate so much mashed potatoes and cake yesterday she had a belly ache, and threw up in the middle of the night.  Poor baby.

No Vegas reunion for me...I'm not really the type to take a vacation all by myself.  I would rather save the money for our camping trips we take every few months.  We go through a lot of food and beer.  Lol

I hope everyone has a terrific day!  Here's to a day of happiness and feeling good!

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited April 2011
    Options

Kymn,

I felt like I was over the hump after the 3rd chemo, and really wanted to talk my onc into stopping after 4 rounds (he keeps telling me "one day at a time").  I am so happy this will be my last round, one more week of yuck, then onto figuring out how to live with this disease and get back to my happy self.  You can do it, just think, 1/2 way done this week.  I have cryed every round on day 3 or 4, maybe steriod crash, hormones or lack of.  My DH and boys, just know to stay clear.  I take my Vicodin for Neulasta pain, ambien to sleep and go to my bedroom.  Usually I emerge day 5 ready to deal with it all.  Just the way it is, no appologies for feeling rotten. 

Burley- thanks for the well wishes this week.  So glad you started this thread, like someone else said I am also addicted to coming to the site for support.  My spouse is not much of a talker, so its great to come hear and "talk".

• stlcardsfan
    stlcardsfan Member Posts: 227
    edited April 2011
    Options

Vegas is 9/30 to 10/3.

Don't feel odd going by yourself - I am after all. I am looking forward to meeting everyone that  I have cyber chatted with over the past 1 1/2 years.

Had first followup with Breast Onc today. So far so good - see me in 6 months. Yea!

• KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656
    edited April 2011
    Options

I have an ADHD daughter.  She is just borderline for hyper but my Dr. convinced me it was time to put her on meds if nothing else for my sanity this summer.  We have known all along that she was hyper but this year we started noticing her not being able to stay focus.  She is 8 and in second grade.  She is on Adderall 10mg.  We haven't been on it but a month now and just upped the dose to 10mg.   She is really keyed up in the afternoon but her teacher said she is so much better in the morning. 

(((((HUGS))))) To all who are still on chemo.  I want share all my horrible problems.  If you ask something and I can help I will.  The crying...ugggg still have spells of that.  I think it is a combination of anxiety and no hormones and all the side effects I was left with from chemo.

• Randi64
    Randi64 Member Posts: 17
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Everyone!

Burley thanks for starting this thread! My name is Randi. I am 47 yrs old and was dx in November. I just had BMX last Tuesday after completing 20 weeks of chemo. I have been out on disability from work since starting chemo. I work as a Nursing Supervisor in a residential facility for severely disturbed teens. I miss it and them a lot, but know I need to regain my strength! I have a wonderful family,DH, DS who is 19 and DD who is 13. I got my path report today and there was no evidence of cancer in my breasts. Yah, the chemo got it all!! So thrilled to move on with m life! For all those still in chemo, you can do it! Im so glad I did as I know its my extra insurance.

Kittydog, sorry to hear of your problems with your daughter, but I have seen many positive results from low dose Adderal.

I also have been taking more meds than I ever thought possible. Still in good amount of pain from surgery so taking pain meds as well as meds to sleep. Hopefully, I can start weaning myself off in next several weeks,but I do believe we should take the medications if we need them!

HUGS to all! RandiSmile

• Kymn
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Kitty Dog my DD is grade 3 and just now getting diagnosed like I said earlier her older brother already has been. It the adderal that she is one slow release? I find that much better and smoother for the kids during the day. It certainly works well for DS.

• dena44
    dena44 Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Hi everyone had a pleasant Easter sunday, many freinds and family came over and we bbq'd the day away! The weather was nice and warm here in Ca. just a little breezy but no-one seemed to mind...Starting to feel like my old self again! lol just in time to have tram reconstruction next month lol! So I know I will be down for while, but hoping the outcome will be worrth the pain? Anyone who has had tram-flap? I would appreciate any feedbackSmile
  • 37antiques
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi girls!

Glad you all had a great day yesterday, and oh does it suck to be back in the routine today!!

Kymn and KittyDog, my DS is on Straterra.  We started on Ridilin but didn't like the SE's, then went to Concerta, but since it is a controlled substance and we found his heart problem we switched to Straterra.  Good stuff, no crash, no buildup period, and a HUGE increase in grades.  I feel bad everytime he goes off it, but I have to look at the whole body.  Definitely not ODD, but I thought he was when he was little, now I worry he will be manic bipolar like DH. *sigh* 

Dena you make me jealous with the weather.  It just stopped snowing here last week.  The latest date I have seen snow ever is May 8th, I was actually camping in a TENT that of course caved in.  Mother Nature can sure be nasty sometimes!

So a lot of you seem to have had MX and recons?  I didn't consider it before, but now the brain has started to tick.  Is it better?  Are you happy with it? I just left them alone and hit it other ways, but if I get one more abnormal mammo and guided poke removing another patch of tissue, I will have nothing left!  And now I hear MRI and mammo can't see through scar tissue anyway, so really, what was my point??  Some good honest feedback would be helpful.

Burley, I just told all of my younger kids there was no Santa this past year, good timing too, just after I finished playing St Nick and went to bed, I smelled smoke...not a fire this time, just some smouldering wires in the basement and some more mental scarring for the family.  Five fire departments in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve is not a happy thought, the DH and DD's were crying, and all I could think is Wow, they got here fast.  Why weren't they that fast when the last house really did burn down?  Delayed reaction again, you see.  I wonder if I'll ever be current?

• JoanDavies
    JoanDavies Member Posts: 80
    edited April 2011
    Options

Great thread! I'm 47 (closer to 50 than 40, which sucks), 5 year old son, so I'm a late bloomer mommy. Divorced after 25 years, but have a freakin' cute boyfriend 11 years younger (go me!). Wednesday is my exchange, so can't wait to feel just a little bit more normal (although my BF thinks the TEs are hot, the crazy guy). Good to be able to connect with others like me!

• KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656
    edited April 2011
    Options

Kymn yes she is on the slow release.  Her teacher said she did great today but was a little hyper by afternoon.  I refuse to go up in higher in dose.  She even told us tonight she felt smart today and could she have her smart pill tonight.  lol  She thinks the melatonin we gave her last night made her able to focus better today.  Oh well.