Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited September 2011

Good Morning Everyone,

Nothing new to report really. I did discover that pain meds keep me awake.... but I am feeling pretty good

Eema, Thank you for all the good wishes. I hope you are feeling better today.

Sarah-  thinking of you today . Please let us know how your appointment goes.

LtotheK- Please let us know what you find out as well. I can not speak for the other girls,but I know I am concerned about my bones as well.

Hope you all have a great day,

Kim

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited September 2011

LtotheK, sorry about the osteoperosis, but I'm so relieved it's not mets!  Man, if it's not one thing, it's your mother.  Take care!

• LtotheK
    LtotheK Member Posts: 487
    edited September 2011

True that, profbee.  I often say to my husband I would like to trade in this body for a BMW.

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited September 2011

Hi LtotheK and all!

Sorry I missed your post before. It's a bummer about the osteoporosis - hope they can find a treatment which helps. Thanks, Kim, for your kind wishes. the GP sent me down to the hospital last night as she was worried about a blood clot on my lung. Apparently, a cloudy area was showing up on the X-Ray. Well, long story short, it wasn't one, but the Dr. is liaising with my onc. to see if the area is in the same place as rads damage previously seen on ct. It never ends!!!! My lovely mum stayed with me in the ward till midnight as she didn't want to sit in the house worrying. She is a marvel to me. My son is in super-obsessed mode about lego robots at the moment, but I know he thinks of me too! My partner, Mike, is great as well. We are all lucky if we have supportive families. Visiting the Fair tonight - it's been coming to our town every Sept. for 800 years. BTW - I love your expression "Going medieval on your ass" or something!  I promise I'll stop rambling now. Thanks for your support  - I do appreciate it!

Sarah x

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited September 2011

Sarah, hope the lung thing turns out to be nothing more to worry about.  So glad you have good support at home, that sure makes a difference. Have fun at the fair tonight!  Eat something sinful.

I had my CT today with contrast, I do not expect that they will find anything, I think I just have inflammation of the sternum.  I have had PET scans before, but never CT, the contrast gives a quick hot flash (and feels like you are peeing your pants) but so much faster than the PET scans.

Kim, how does the fat grafting look??  Are you very sore?  I consider you my "guinea pig" on this fat grafting experience.  Glad you went first, and hope all is good.

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Hi To All,

Sarah....so sorry to read about this scare. I hope it is nothing more than the rads issues. So good you have supportive people close to you. I hope it is nothing. I hope you have a great time at the fair. Do let us know what kinds of things you do there. We have county fairs here which involves the kids showing animals ( goats,cows and such) but usually good stuff to eat too. Just to give you a laugh , I will share my hillbilly expression with you...I figure since I am one I can be politically incorrect....this is what I heard from my neighbor who was referring to another neighbor whom he thought was too cheap to spend money.... He said " Heez tite as the bark ona hickory tree" I found that to be very funny as I had not heard that one!!  Sorry to ramble on girls....must be my pain meds!!!

Christine.....I have to tell you ...I am very happy with the fat grafting. I am still sore from the areas where the fat was taken. It has made a big difference in my chest area. I am now more shapely...no more rippling. I hope you will be happy as well. I am sore though. I have been taking my pain meds...which I usually do not need. It is really not bad though. I hope you will get good news about your scan. I had the CT and you do feel as though you weed your pants!!  Lol I was warned about this but still was surprised!! I have not had a PET scan. Do you have any breast tissue at all? I do not. Please let us know how you do.

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the weekend.... HAPPY FOOTBALL- Lisa .We are watching Auburn right now. Go Tigers!!

Kim

• mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited September 2011

Hello again.  Kim-  I don't have anything scheduled yet, but it has been talked about.  I hope on Tues. when I see my PS we will be scheduling a procedure.  He told me it could take 2-3 to get what we want.  Like Christine you are my guinea pig.  Glad everything is going well for you.

Christine and Sarah and all who have had scans.  Thinking about you.  I know it is a pain to have to wait on results.  LtotheK- sorry about the osteoporosis.  I worry a little about that in the future since I have no hormones and can't take any either so I will just have to rely on calcium and Vit D.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.  We are cleaning up from our camping trip last weekend where we go rained on.  Now trying to dry it all out.  Take care all. 

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Hi mamachick, Good to see you, I was also told it could take more than one procedure,but if I stay the way I look now...I will be happy with just one. It looks much better. I am not skinny but I have thin skin and a bony chest...so my implants did have this hamburger bun look. Now they look normal..they kind of hang a little more naturally (don't know how to put it). I hope you will be happy.

Kim

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited September 2011

Hey ladies!  Sounds like everyone is doing well.  Glad to hear it!  I had a very busy week but a good one.  I feel like I am getting back to normal now.  Not sure why all the sudden, but I am no longer dog tired at the end of the day.  Still tired but not dog tired.  And I seem to have better focus and clearer thoughts.  Yeah!!  

Have you all heard of Naked Juice?  I was told about it a while ago but just got around to trying it this week.  Yum!!  And full of antioxidants.  So far I have tried Green Machine (looks horrible and smells like a beer burp . . . no joke) but tastes great and Acai Machine which is all around delicious. Thought I would mention it as alternative for those who have trouble cramming in all the good anticancer fruits and veggies.  I am still eating the real thing, but plan to substitute my morning Coke addiction with a bottle of Naked Juice.

Kim - Did Auburn win?  I was at my nephew's football game today and missed the early games.  Watching UGA/USC right now.  FSU is not televised this weekend, but as of the first quarter, we are up by 20 something . . . probably why it is not televised . . . silly, easy game before the huge Oklahoma game next weekend.  

Ciao!  Will check in later. 

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Hi Lisa,

Watching the same game. Auburn did win. I will google that drink. I actually do enjoy eating good for me stuff too but love to hear about new ways to add some more good for me stuff. Of course I equally enjoy bad for me stuff too.

Enjoy the game

Kim

• lrr4993
    edited September 2011

I love the bad food too much, unfortunately.  I refrain from tips on adding that to the diet, but have plenty to offer if anyone is interested.  :)

• mom2one
    mom2one Member Posts: 51
    edited September 2011
    Lisa:  My 15 year old DD LOVES the green machine by naked juice.  I can't believe she likes it....she cant believe she likes it.  I have tried but cant drink it.  It tastes like what I imagine fresh cut grass would taste like.  I can drink some of the others, but not that oneSmile
  • lrr4993
    edited September 2011

Grass?  Really?  I tasted nothing but fruit.  Now the smell . . . my God.  The next bottle is going to involve a straw because the smell is a killer.  Seriously, beer burp.

You should try the more fruity ones.  Most of them do not have as much "green" as the Green Machine. 

• christine47
    edited September 2011

"smells like a beer burb" and "tastes like fresh cut grass", you girls are killing me. I had lunch out with DH including chocolate chess pie with fresh whipped cream. I am eating healthier, but sometimes you just need to be crazy.

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Hi Lisa....I figure I'm pretty good most of the time...but I really love chocolate chip cookies and many other things like that. I'm not too hard on myself anymore.  I cook all the time too. I have recently discovered Quinoa. I love it.I have also added things like oat bran to my cereal for example. Eat lots of fruit and veggies, so I guess I should be ok with ice cream and pizza!!  Lol

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Christine...that sounds so good. For my snack while watching the game ...I had a frozen yogurt ice cream with chocolate-vanilla and actually a dip of real strawberry ice cream see....good and bad.

• lrr4993
    edited September 2011

Ha, Christine.  My intent was to endorse this product.  I am sure the naked juice people are not going to be chasing me or mom2one down for use in their ad campaigns.  LOL.

Kim - my downfall is cheese.  I just love it.  I could eat it at every meal and a lot of it.  It is so bad for my cancer (high fat is a TN contributor) and so many other things . . . heart disease, liver disease, etc.  How can something so good be so bad for you?

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Lisa-    I know.... I love cheese too. I did not know about the fat contributor. Maybe cheese is not the bad kind of fat??

• lrr4993
    edited September 2011

Unfortunately, any kind of fat is bad fat for triple negatives.  It does not matter if that fat is in french fries or flax seed (although that obviously does matter for other disease).  Sucks, right?  Ideally, we are supposed to keep our fat intake under 20%.  That plus exercise has been shown to reduce TN recurrence by 40%, which is pretty impressive when you compare it to the 25% risk reduction from chemo.

And cheese is bad fat.  :( 

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Wow...I did not know that. Seems lots of info has become available for triple neg. cancer. So much learned lately. I really hope it all gets sorted out for all of us.

• christine47
    edited September 2011

Lisa,  I had no idea the about the total fat importance for triple neg girls.  I know we all need less, but you even need to keep your healthy fat (nuts, olive oil, etc) under 20%?  I am challenged somedays be staying under 25-30%.  I am also trying to reduce sugar since there is a link with insulin resistance and BC. 

I have noticed that most of the ladies on the BC boards are not obese.  I am 15-20 pounds over ideal weight (not bad in my opinion at age 47).  Today while out shopping I saw a bunch of very obese ladies (some smoking), not unusual in the south where I live.  Kind of ticks me off that I get the cancer and they have more risk factors that can be modified.  I have made up my mind that I will loose 15 lbs by Christmas.  Hoping the PS will take 5lbs with my lipo at the end of the month!

• lrr4993
    edited September 2011

Yes, even nuts, olive oil, etc.  It is hard to do and I fail often.  The fat adds up quickly with just one cheat.  You have to really rely on fruits, veggies, and grains.  I also eat a lot of fat free greek yogurt, which fortunately I really like.

I hear you about the people who so obviously trash their bodies and are fine . . . well, maybe not fine but do not have cancer.  I think part of it is stuff like bad fats or too much fat, but I fully believe a big part of it is just dumb luck.  Kind of a perfect storm of things has to happen  . . . .bad fats, too much fat, vitamin deficiencies, weakened immune system, stress, etc. I have no doubt that you could take two people and have them lead identical lives in terms of diet and exercise and one may get cancer while the other doesn't.  Which unfortunately is also why they can't find a 100% cure - the cause is too complicated and uncertian.  Oh well . . . all we can do is do the best we know how and try to live our lives to the fullest.   

Well, I am off to bed.  I was out in the sun for a few hours today and I am tired!  Have a nice night. 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2011

I love cheese too... Maybe its the cheese that gave us cancer... hope not cuz thats one vice I can't quit.

And obese women may be sick and have cancer and just don't know it... I know of a couple of large women who won't go to the doctor... fear of the worst.

• christine47
    edited September 2011

If cheese gives you cancer, thats my answer.  Sounds like a study the goverment can do "Consumption of Cheese and Breast Cancer".

All joking aside, I do feel good and eating well and exercising help with my feeling of control of my fate.

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

I think we're onto something with the cheese... LOL

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited September 2011

Cheese CAN'T give you cancer. I love it too!  I've just had some lovely french brie and ham for lunch.  I especially love cheese with wine - and of course alcohol's not good either.

Good luck everyone having scans at the moment.  I hate all the anxiety and negative thoughts they conjure up in me.

I'm down to my last 2 weeks of chemo ... and counting down.  I am so ready for hair and am trying not to get my hopes up that it will grow back fast.

It's been a busy weekend here. My DH and I went to the Rugby World Cup opening ceremony and match on Friday night.  It made us very proud of our country to see the display we put on. It even bought a wee tear to my eye.

USA are playing their first match versus Ireland at 6pm tonight. I will watch and cheer on your behalves.

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Nothing that we love it seems to be good for us... Can't live out our cancer-free years cheeseless, wineless and drinking beer burp smelling juices... Right? We all do our best, but you've got to enjoy life on the way...I hadn't heard or didn't know that triple negative cancer was more susceptible to fat...it does present a quandry... I like to think all bad things have a silver lining, so hopefully if your cancer forces you to eat healthier, then you just might live longer and more fit than you would have.

• lrr4993
    edited September 2011

Kiwi - I feel the same way . . . it CANT be cheese.  I love it too much.  Have you all ever been to the cheese section at whole foods.  Heaven!!!  So many great and unique cheeses.

Betsy - I agree that the better eating, at the very least, will be good for my general overall health.  And hopefully has the added benefit of preventing cancer. 

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Good morning Everyone,

KiwiMum...how fun to attend the world cup...me too I love cheese. I never really cared for blue cheese but I even like it now. Sometimes for lunch my husband and I will put together a big plate of cheese and olive bread and grapes and enjoy wine or a drink.

I agree Betsy...we have a long life ahead of us and I hope to enjoy all of it. I will continue to try to do all the good things and really enjoy my moments of bad . Lol  Followed by feeling a little guilty....

KiwiMum....you are getting so close we will have a cyber YAY when you are done.

Betsy...I had been meaning to ask how you are following surgery? I was following another thread relating to Dr. Massey and lymph node transfer surgery and noticed you had surgery ...hope you are healing well.

OK ....after learning about NAKED JUICE...my curiosity got the best of me so....this am each of us tried a different flavor...and wow they were very good. So funny though each of us passing around a NAKED JUICE...we tried BLUE MACHINE, ACAI MACHINE, and MIGHTY MANGO. We stayed away from the beer burp/grass flavored one...I really thought they were yummy..lots of fiber and vitamins.

Hope everyone is having a good day/morning/evening!!

Kim

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Kim... I am on the mend, thanks... I had actually 4 surgeries since the end of July... I had a hip flap surgery and BMX in July, then had to have my port removed emergently as it was infected with a bacterial infection and caused a blood clot, and then my right breast incision opened and had skin necrosis, so I had to have wound surgery and then a DIEP flap to replace the breast... Today, almost three weeks past last surgery, all my incisions are closed, no fevers, no pain, so looking good.