Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited September 2011

So, turns out my pain is costacondritis, probably from exercise, recent surgeries, etc.  Sure beats a pulmonary embolism or mets.  I feel like a hypochondriac, but pain was not very nonpredictable.  My onc thought it was an implant issue, glad it is not that.  Thanks for all the good wishes. 

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited September 2011

Hi Everyone....

Christine I just had to pop on to say...YAY! Great news..I think it is hard to not get a lump in your throat when you get those calls form the DR.  So happy it is nothing to worry about. To answer your earlier question...I could shower the next day. I was instructed to leave the strips on the nipple area. I can not see that area. I have very thick cotton bandages on and then very wide clear tape so as to keep it dry. I had the rippling in the same location,but not now. The cold feeling bothered me, as to me, they just felt not part of me?? Now they do. She did warn me prior to surgery that they may still be cold,but they really are not any longer.

BTW...I hope you all will understand my warped sense of humor...but I find it funny I am talking about my nipples. I would not normally even say that word to even my close friends and here I am sharing such news...it just struck me funny I guess....hope that doesn't sound weird...

I'm off to this meeting now...I will see how you all are doing later.

Still thinking of the Texas girls. Hope you all are ok??

Kim

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2011

yay christine...

kim... i also find myself saying things I never thought I would... like telling male friends all about my recon... and just yesterday posted my blog (which is somewhat detailed) on my work online bulletin board and invited everyone to read it.. Hope I don't regret that one... was trying to encourage awareness as we approach Oct... and my Avon Walk.

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited September 2011

Good news Christine about your scan. 

Enjoy your group Kim.  Hopefully a good group of ladies you have something in common with (other than BC).

It's chemo day for me.  I'm at work at the moment and will leave around lunch to have Taxol #10.

Day One of Weight Watchers went well.  100% perfect. lol.  I know that won't last but it's good to start well.

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Stay Strong!!

• mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited September 2011

Hey All!  Mom2one- thinking about you tomorrow!  I hope you are pleased.  I know you will probably be more comfortable.  I know I was. Love being able to sleep on my side and tummy.

Kim- your puppy is so cute.  I love big dogs. Though mine is a little 12 lb. cockapoo.  Yours could have mine for lunch! Will be thinking about your Thurs.  let us know what you think.  I have said it before, but my nips and areola's are the best part of it all.

Christine.  Congrats to your son on the 5K, I know you are proud.  Mine are going to try to run in the Race for the Cure, but don't know how far any of us will make it.  My 6yr. DD will probably make it the furthest. Yay! for a good scan.  Have a routine PET in Oct. for being a year out of surgery.  Still worry about it though, even if it is routine. 

Besty-  40 miles?!?!?!  You are my hero!  Proud of you for even trying!!!  I am not a runner and never have been, just started training in the last few months since surgeries and treatments are maybe all over.

See the PS tomorrow.  Hope to schedule fat grafting.  I have the same issues with the cleavage area and folding over when I bend. Do they ever take the fat from the tummy?  That is where most of mine is.  Hope to round them out a little.  Don't have cold issues, nickname is the Radiator, never, ever cold!  Have a great evening all!

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Stacey... Don't be too impressed quite yet... Today I went for a walk and handled 3/4 mile just fine... maybe tomorrow I can try to double that... far cry from 40 though.. . It is still tough to walk a lot as I am still wearing 2 hip drains.... hopefully gone by the end of the week.

• mamachick
    edited September 2011

Sorry your still impressing me.  3/4 mile with hip drains?!?!  I don't know about you, but drains for me were miserable! 

• bdavis
    edited September 2011
    I have had THESE drains for 8 weeks... ugh... I have been able to get rid of 5 others (between 2 surgeries)... so I am hoping  with crossed toes and fingers that they come out THURSDAY... Wink
  • kmur
    edited September 2011

Hi Everyone,

Betsy...isn't it funny the things we are ok talking about. I don't know why that suddenly struck me funny. That is great you are able to get out and walk. I had drains and they really are a pain. Mine kept draining and draining....thought I would never get rid of them.

kiwiMum.... YAY for the first day. You will do  great ....I just know it. Hope you are feeling well.

Stacey.... My neighbors have 5 Chihuahua dogs ( sp) and my dogs are a little leery of them...they are big barkers. My guys are just plain chicken of them!! Good luck with your appointment Tuesday.

Well...I went to my first meeting and I think it will be a good group. We will get together each Monday. 

Have a Good night/day/morning everyone,

Kim

Betsy..just saw your last post ...hope you get rid of them Thusday too.

• mamachick
    edited September 2011

Kim- I think Chihuahuas scare anybody!  lol Thought about finding a support group, but can't find one that meets at a time I can go. Has anyone heard one support groups for couples that are dealing with BC?  It might help my DH to hear what other husbands do to deal.

Kiwimum-  Are you down to one more?  Hoping today went well and you aren't feeling to under the weather.

Betsy- 8 weeks!!!!  I thought 3 was bad and was really upset when I had two was told one would come out during surgery and instead had the third added.  I will never complain again now that I know you have had 5 and some in for 8 wks.  Here's hoping they will be out on Thurs.

• christine47
    edited September 2011

I am always looking for a good excuse not to exercise, hip drains would keep me on the couch.  Hated my drains and I only had them for 2 weeks.  Hope your output decreases and you can pull them by thursday.

KiwiMum, another chemo down, just one to go? 

My partners (3 males) at the office have asked my about my next surgery, just telling them about the lipo and fat grafting, nips seem way to personal if you know what I mean.

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

I have verbally told a few men, including the nipples, and it does seem odd coming out of my mouth... I work at a school, and I have now posted my blog on our faculty electronic bulletin board..., which describes my feelings about wearing a wig, flap failure etc... so maybe the men will be bored and won't read it.. I was trying to encourage the women to get screened... it is very personal though, so I am a bit two sided about posting.... maybe I should and maybe I shouldn't, but I did.

• kiwimum
    edited September 2011

2 to go after today.

I don't know what the break will be before rads but will be happy the chemo phase is over.

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Usually you wait a month.

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited September 2011

Great news, christine!

Kiwi - those last two will go so quickly.  Congrats!!  Hopefully rads will be easy for you.

I am cracking up at the nips comments, particular betsy telling the guys at work about them.  I would die!  Well, first because only 2 people who absolutely had to know even know about my BC at all.  My boss - a male - offered to drive me to some of my appointments.  LOL.  It was very sweet of him, but I politely said no thanks, my family has it covered.  I then laughed with my other boss -- a female -- about it.  In a million years, I would never let him take me to any type of appointment having anything to do with my boobs.  He may as well have offered to drive me to a gyno appointment.

It is funny the things we now talk about, as someone mentioned above.  I remember laughing at all my mom friends.  Talk about knocking down conversational boundaries.  Women who have had children will say anything in my experience! I have always been very private about health stuff.  Which is somewhat ironic when you considered how many complete strangers have seen and touched my boobs in the last year.  

• lrr4993
    edited September 2011

Kiwi - I think you have a little room to bargain with rads.  I did my last chemo at the end of november.  By the typical schedule, I was supposed to start rads right before xmas.  I asked if we could just wait until after the holidays and she was fine with it.  It was really nice to have the full month off before heading into more treatment.  

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

KIWI... there really is a small window of opportunity... for it to be effective and worthwhile, you need to have a little break, like a month, and then get to it.. so you start somewhere between 4-7 weeks or so post chemo.

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited September 2011

Betsy~ I've journaled on line the whole time...it kept me sane, and like or not I figured they were choosing to read it, they could click away.  The education we inadvertently give others is priceless.  Can you PM your link, I'd love to read.

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Just sent it.

• kiwimum
    edited September 2011

Thanks for the info ladies. I'm hoping to start within a month as I really want to be done by Christmas.

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Good Morning Ladies,

Betsy, I would love to  read your story too. I really agree ..I have to think sharing has to be of some help to others. If only by means of allowing them to be more comfortable approaching those with cancer. In my experience...I think people really do not know what to say. I used to be very shy...like I said ..we were taught not to say such words,but now I would probably talk about my nipples to whomever wanted to discuss the subject ( within reason ) Lol

Gina, So happy you were on..had been thinking of all you in Texas. Are you far from the fires? Hope you all stay safe down there.

Kiwi..Hope you are feeling well. I think I waited about 3 weeks to start rads. I think she wanted to wait a little longer,but I wanted to get it over with. Do give yourself time to gain strength. I know you really want to be done. Can't wait for you to get there too.

Getting ready to start the day here...

Have a great day!!

Ps...today I am going to get my tail in gear and do something. I am a basket weaver and have not made anything in quite a while....I think I will start that today. Just wanted to thank you girls for sharing the way you do.

Kim

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Hi kim... Here is my link

http://info.avonfoundation.org/site/TR?type=fr_personal&fr_id=2070&px=5833343&bpg=list&pg=personal

I don't mention nipples in my blog... But when i verbally tell my story I do, even to men, and then i am like hmmmm.... Am i making them uncomfortable... Even mention tattoos.... I think something is wrong with my filters... So many people have seen my breasts etc this year that its like one big show and tell.

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Betsy,

I will read your story...but wanted to tell you ..you are so funny. I laughed...me too, I think my filter has changed...but in many ways think it is so good to open those lines. I would be more inclined to show someone going through all this my breasts where as before would not be able to say the word breast....So ...I do know what you mean...I find myself saying "did you really just say that" makes me laugh sometimes. I am happy if this stuff I have gone through helps just one person...I have to think your openness would be helpful to others.

Sorry to ramble...I am off now to do something ..or make something.. Take care everyone

Kim  

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited September 2011

I'm late in jumping in here, but I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one whose implant rocks and rolls when she bends down. Yesterday I spilled a case of 1-liter seltzer bottles on the floor, they rolled down the stairs, and I ran after them with my arms flailing downward. By the time I stood up, I felt like Righty had completely turned around! And it was all ridgey. Yuck, I didn't go through all of this to have rippley boobies, d@nm it!

And my filters are gone. I spent last Thursday at the cancer clinic and ended up showing my new boobies to at least six different people...and that was just in the waiting room! HA! Kidding...maybe...;)

• christine47
    edited September 2011

I agree, all modesty out the window with breast cancer.  At the gym today, I explained the different types of reconstruction to several trainers (and limitations associated with the types of surgery).  My friend then knocked on her TEs to show how hard they where and I squeezed my implant to demostrate how soft and squishey.   Can not imagine what people around us where thinking.

• lrr4993
    edited September 2011

I have jokingly said that my boobs have not had this many strangers hands on them since my wild college days.

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Hi to All,

Betsy, I read your Journal Entries....it is moving to me to read as I felt like a zombie-kinda- going through the motions for a long time. I honestly didn't remember some of the issues I had until I read yours. I have to think your entries will be helpful to other women as well. I'm sorry too if I should have asked you to send that to me privately...I am still new to all this so sorry about that. I think you were so smart to really educate yourself and be ready for the side effects ...I did not know about icing my fingers at all....that would have been very helpful.Hope you will be able to get rid of those drains Thursday!!

Eema...you crack me up....I am visualizing you catching your bottles of seltzer.. (sorry ) Hope you don't mind me laughing cause really that's not funny ,but the way you say it is funny to me.....I am so glad we can laugh sometimes about all the craziness we go through. The fat grafting ,in my situation,did take care of that rippling you refer to. I do have tape in that area ,but hopefully Thursday when the bandages are removed ...I will not change...I would like to be just as I am ...

Hope everyone is doing well...thinking about mom2one...lots of good wishes your way!

kim

• christine47
    edited September 2011

Lisa, I remember those days!  I went to a catholic college, we were "nice girls".  Glad I am raising boys.

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Lisa!!!!!!!!  I'm not even going there!!!ha