Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195
    edited October 2011

Betsy, that sounds like an amazing experience.

I've captained a Relay for Life team in the past, but haven't done it for a couple of years. Just watching the survivors lap choked me up. I will probably participate this year...maybe even put together a team. And I will probably ball like a baby when *I* now walk the Survivors Lap!

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited October 2011

mamachick,  1000cc!!    Your PS has big plans for you girl.  If your PS called you "broad and flat" you should deck him.  I am at 600 cc and feeling well enough endowed.  I will most likely let my PS take a shot at my tatoos initially, but will go to Asheville if I need any revisions.  My PS has been so good to me, I don't want to disappoint him (I know that sounds crazy).  I would still love to meet you and kim in Asheville, as long as its not snowing and I have a little advanced notice.  We can talk about our kids, boobs and husbands, probably won't have time for the cancer part.

Bdavis, that is alot of miles, as I have said before, you are one strong chick.

Lisa, pop in when you can.  I am primarly still here for some laughs and recon support.  I found the info on implants, sizing, nips and tattoos to be sooo helpful.  I am not very good at doing facebook, but will look you up sometime soon.  I need to get some pictures posted on there.

Readingmama--I rememeber emailing the teachers last year, they were so supportive. I am sure your childrens teachers will appriciate knowing what is going on at home, and help your children as they need it.

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited October 2011

Readingmama - I was dx'd the summer before my DS entered high school and my DD entered middle school...the first thing I did was talk to both school counselors and the home room teachers...we were luckily that the kids were 'ok' and only needed to talk to a the counselors a few times, mainly about adjusting to the transition from one school to another but the teachers were grateful and happy to help.

Betsy - WOW!  That's alot of miles!!! Thank you for all your efforts!

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited October 2011

Well done to you - Betsy!! What an achievement! The 18 year old dying of bc is just horrific, though.  Have some nice treats to celebrate your hard work!  

Love to all on here,

Sarah xx

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited October 2011

Lisa - maybe you can be like me and just come here for this thread.  Mine is more for time reasons, but still...

Betsy, congrats on your walk!!!  I will read your blog and call you, thanks so much!

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited October 2011

Hi Everyone....

Eema...let us know how you are doing when you can...

Betsy...That is so very great!! You did it!! I just think it is so great you walked for two great causes..

mamachick and Christine...I would have lunch with you girls regardless of the tattoo situation..besides I love that part of the country....My family could probably do a long weekend someday in your neck of the woods. Would love to laugh with you girls in person and mamachick and I could see who has the bigger feet!! I betcha I do Smile Oh  ...I wouldn't want you to see my feet though Christine..... Lol  BTW...This is one of the sentences..I know my grammar is not good..I'm bad with the has/have ...sorry

I really do enjoy you girls here...it is good to laugh and also good to share troubles too.

.Take care everyone

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited October 2011

Maybe we enjoy target stories cause they have nothing to do with cancer.....keep em coming clothes fairy! 

• kmur
    edited October 2011

Hi Gina...Funny I just edited that  Target and facebook stuff out...thought my humor was not humorous??  I will put it back though so you all know what I said... I was saying Facebook has a "create Group" function (I guess you call it) anyway...for those of you that have made a connection I think you add just those people in your "group" and only those people can see your posts.That way Lisa, if you decide to speak about cancer with your group...your other friends can not see unless you invite them to the group...What i said was I don't really post much on Facebook because I imagine most of my friends don't really care if I'm at Target....funny though cause I would probably tell you girls I'm going to Target....lol

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited October 2011

I'm having a quick read of your posts while "busy" at work. 

I look odd because I am having the most hideous hot flash whilst typing.  I'm feeling quite distressed.  I can't share this news with my workmates but know that you'll understand.

• kmur
    edited October 2011

Oh Kiwimum...they are awful

• kmur
    edited October 2011

One time at a swim meet I was having hot flashes while the girl next to me was dry as a bone ...I was dripping and getting all of our stickers wet!!! Was so embarassing....but what can you do.

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited October 2011

I get them too, but not too bad.  Tonight was the "Pumpkin Stroll" at Jack's school--I went from freezing with a hat to desperately needing to take it off.  I hated to rock the bald look there.  Hubby shaved me again yesterday b/c it started to get that really SICK look where you can see it's falling out in patches and stuff.  The kids just look, and I hate for Jack to be the one with the bald Mommy, but that's the way it is.  I HATE the wig, and Jack doesn't mind.  

So...note in Jack's lunchbox today..."All Jack had was candy and pretzels in his lunchbox, so I made him a healthy lunch."  UGH!  He ate his sandwich during snack time at kindergarten and then only had snacks with him for his after-school thing (it's where he did pre-k so we still call it pre-k and we're only doing it 3 days a week until I'm done with chemo next month).  Pretzels, fruit snacks and a one stick little Kit Kat for a treat.  I thought that was an okay snack.  I asked him if he'd eat orange slices, but he said no and the other day he didn't touch them, so I didn't send them.  But way to go Mom!  NO lunch there!  Arrrrgh.  He may take TWO sandwiches on Friday!

Love,

Mom of the Year!  :) 

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited October 2011

Kim - the facebook group is a great idea!  Does anyone know how to do that?  I don't have the first clue.

• lrr4993
    edited October 2011

I assume the facebook thing would allow us to share pictures and other non-cancer stuff much easier, which would be awesome.

• kmur
    edited October 2011

Yes ...I think I know how only because I am in my High school group and below this group it says create a group...then prompts me to add people to my group and you can name the group....it could be Ellens group or Bc group or whatever...then the prompt asks if it is invite only so that your posts only go to that group

• christine47
    edited October 2011

profbee,  "mom of the year", I just love this story!  No reason to pack it if they won't eat it.  I have a friend who would just keep repacking the same fruit and carrot sticks all week long.  My boys are now 13 and 15, they eat in the cafeteria and eat $5-8 worth of lunch per day!  I wish they would pack, but I hate packing lunches, so I eat my protein bar and apple and they spend the $$.  Jack sounds so sweet.  The boys just don't care about the hair, they love their mommies.

kmur, if profbee starts grading our grammer or spelling, we will nominate her for mom of the year!  If we meet, I will see your feet.  You have heard all the details of my boobs, so surely I can see your feet, lol.  I am facilitating a meeting of BC girls tomorrow, I am sure someone will be flashing something besides feet. 

I need to be doing some laundry, hi to all.

• kmur
    edited October 2011

If I understand it correctly ( this is a stretch) I think it is a way to keep your private/work folks separated. Or  if you had a tennis group or whatever....only those "friends" in that group would get the posts

• christine47
    edited October 2011

love the idea of facebook group.  I don't do FB often, but am always afraid of sharing personal info to all my "friends".

• marthah
    edited October 2011

Re: Hot Flashes

Good lord...this is the primary reason I haven't had a decent night's sleep in months. I'm just thankful we're moving into fall weather here in the midwest, and it's cooling off. Makes the wig a little more comfy. 

And I cannot keep my hands off the thermostat at home, either. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down. Good God. 

The only positive thing about my hot flashes is that I don't turn beet red Embarassed when they come on, so as long as I don't start making "whew!" noises, no one else seems to notice. 

• kmur
    edited October 2011

Christine ...too funny ...I would be more likely to show my new breasts than my old feet. Good luck with your meeting.

Profbee...I remember those packing days too...only my son would eat all the good stuff and not his sandwich...you are a great mom I'm sure

• kmur
    edited October 2011

Christine since you and I do not do facebook often...would you like for me to see what the group thing looks like on my account.. I can do a test and see if it stays exclusive to us bc girls??

• kmur
    edited October 2011

Marthah...Oh I know....mine had become better...but now back...I have started to sleep with just one blanket only for me because it is on blanket/off blanket...on blanket/off blanket...well you know ...oh then hot/ cold

• christine47
    edited October 2011

kim, yes that would be great if you kind of check out the way the group thing works out.

Re, hot flashes, I only get them occasionally.  So, I worry that my tamoxifen is not working, I know that is irrational.  So for those of you who get them, think of them as morning sickness in pregnancy (a good thing), means your tamox/chemo/AI is working.  I did have them more frequently during chemo.

• lrr4993
    edited October 2011

I think betsy just figured it out.  I have an invite to the group and it looks like several others as well.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2011

Created a group... let me know if you want in.

• marthah
    edited October 2011

...speaking of sleeping...

Time to take my tylenol p.m. so I'll only wake up once or twice during the night, instead of 4 or 5 times...

Blech. I yearn for the days when I took drugs by choice! Surprised

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited October 2011

Hi all!

Nice to see lots of posts here! Hot flashes are such a nuisance - we call them hot flushes, BTW  - I think flash sounds better and less toilet-like!  I know what you mean, marthah, about the turning the heat off and on at home !

I reckon any woman who works and looks after kids through her tx deserves medals and accolades, so, Kiwi and Prof and anyone else who's doing this - hats off to you  - I could never have done it!  Superwomen indeed!!!!

I'm up for Facebooking the group, Kim, though I only use it occasionally. What's Target - is it a clothes shop?

The teacher who commented on your son's lunchbox, if I read it correctly, Profbee, was rather petty and ridiculous! Things like that really get on my wick!  All we are going through with tx and they have to pick on things - we had that a bit in my son's old school. He really hated the teacher he had then and now refers to her as "bitch-face Barnes ". She made no attempt to connect with the kids who all had special needs. She just picked about things, like saying my son made a noise she had never heard the like of before and saying he was rocking a lot. That is what autistic children do when they are stressed or excited sometimes and instead of accepting it, she made a big deal of it. I was having chemo at the time, as I remember and didn't need her so-called well-meaning comments!  I notice nobody ever mentions it in his new school. Sorry to rant a bit there - I didn't plan on writing any of that! Please bear with my ramblings .

All the best,

Sarah xxx

• kmur
    edited October 2011

Thanks Betsy...we will have to find a way to be sure it is working so that Lisa can be unknown to her other friends? Did that part work Lisa..I really don't know how to test that??

• marial
    marial Member Posts: 98
    edited October 2011

I just wanted to say hello..I posted something on here a while back, but haven't checked in regularly..but have read back several ages, and it seems like a very positive group..I am 43,diagnosed last Dec..mx then chemo Jan to June..diagnosed with thyca in July..surgery in Aug..planned TE in Dec ( of course the only open surgery date is on my birthday!)..so hello everyone!

• kmur
    edited October 2011

Sorry Sarah...I missed your post when I posted. Betsy set up a BC group through FB.

Target is a large retail store..kind of like Wal Mart ( I guess) I think many people feel it is nicer than Wal Mart.

Sorry about your sons teacher....You would think she would have been more in touch with the children and the needs they have. I can understand why you would feel that way.

Oh and Martha...I can not take any of those PM products...they have the opposite effect on me...I am up instead...So the conk on the head is still my only hope!!  Lol