Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited November 2011

Just catching up on my reading!  Love the pick Kiwimum and I will second the thoughts that you are BEAUTIFUL!  Michael C. Hall isn't too bad either.

I hope everyone is doing well after all the procedures this week.  I think the only ones that haven't checked are Odie and Burley.  I hope you two are doing well and I hope Odie is enjoying her new squishies.

Lisa I can't wait for the day that my hair will be six inches.  I think I am about 2 now, though now most people think I have cut it to look this way so I can live with that.I understand your situation though so here is hoping that those next 8-10 inches goes quickly for you.

Meegan- been watching the news about all the "occupy Wall Street"  Sorry you got mixed up in it.  I will reserve any comments other than that because I may have different views than some or most.

Kim glad you appointment went well!

Sorry if I missed anything or anyone.Hope everyone has a great weekend!

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited November 2011

Hello ladies..

Kiwi - Great picture. Sorry you can't use the pool yet but I'm sure you'll make up for it in the future. 

I am about 24 hours out from the exchange and doing well. As for the foobs, I am so happy to say the implants are much softer than those awful TE's. WIll not miss those. Have two drains, some swelling and muscle spasms. Generally sore but not in any real pain and just fatigued post anesthesia. Planning on a nice quiet relaxing weekend.

Hope everyone has a good weekend. Gentle hugs to all.

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited November 2011

Lisa, thanks for that...2 week rule...I'll keep that in mind.  :)  Yeah, I guess the truth is that there's no going back to before.  I hate that "new normal" expression, but it's true.  

I'm BALD as a cue ball these days.  It's just like 2 weeks AFC, so no surprises, but man...I'm so much more impatient this second time than I was the first time!  Plus, I STILL have a cold (although I don't think it's a sinus infection anymore), and so I just feel like I've looked like HELL for over a month all snotty and eyes watering, etc.  I'm ready to be pretty! 

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited November 2011

Hi all!

Pleased, Odie, that your surgery went well - gentle hugs back to you!

Kiwi - that's brilliant, hobnobbing with celebs! - I don't know the guy, but still!  You look great BTW!  Love to your daughter with her bad collarbone - poor thing. Counting down those rads with you.

Kim - those turkeys around where you live made me laugh  - I can't imagine them living wild and free here!  I did see a docu. the other day, though, about a guy who lived with wild turkeys in the US . I think they turned on him and attacked him in the end!  My Dan had a lovely 13th birthday party, thank you for remembering!  I made a chocolate syrup cake with choc. ganache icing and green buttercream and glitter as decoration. We also had real firework candles on top which were great fun!  I recommend them for celebrations - bit of smoke and gunpowder smell around afterwards, but safe for indoors. We opened a bottle of special champagne we had  kept to celebrate our second child being born - obviously hadn't used it! - and everyone in the room said one nice thing about Dan before we popped it.  Good fun.

Willing that hair to sprout for you - Profbee!

All the best to everyone, Sarah x

• torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748
    edited November 2011

Kiwi mum....LOVE the photo...Michael is awesome and you are beautiful! Thanks for sharing! I'm jealous!!

Tori

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited November 2011

Hi Everyone,

Sarah..so funny you said that about the program ( the guy who lived with turkeys) the day I saw them ..I said I had heard turkeys were not very smart...well THAT program was on that night and now I think --THINKING like a turkey is a good thing...The guy said the turkeys reminded him how we people kinda have it wrong struggling with what happened yesterday and worrying about what will come next week..he said turkeys don't do that..and they live in this moment so...the turkeys reminded him to "live his life" so I was supposed to see those turkeys that day..and I am going to live my life!!

What a great way for Dan to celebrate his birthday...sounds like a great time all around and your cake sounds yummy!

Funny story for you all.....Tonight we were invited to dinner with a gal I met in the chemo lounge..she and I are Kims..and about the same age..we have remained in contact..it also happens to be our 17th wedding ann. ( YAY ) anyway...long story short..I have no store anymore in which to buy clothes!! I am no longer 20 and I am not 60 so....I went from shop to shop and bought nothing...BTW who decided skinny jeans are back????? My legs do not do skinny jeans...I need to find a 40 something store????  I bet turkeys don't care about such things so I will have to think that way I guess.

Profbee....I remember the watery eyes and having tissues everywhere...mine was the taxotere. I did get tired of being tired and Looking sick..BUT ...now it is better...those days seem so long ago...you will get there and FEEL better and I hope all of us can put all of it on some back burner in our minds and not think about it anymore

I hope all of you have a great day/afternoon....Live in the moment and enjoySmile Sorry to share my odd humor once again!!

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited November 2011

Sorry for the typical random oddball story, but anytime I see or hear the word turkey I think of this.  An older attorney who I used to work with a few years ago told me a story about a lawsuit he was involved in as a young lawyer.  He was defending a radio station who had sponsored some sort of thanksgiving contest.  The plaintiff was someone who attended the contest.  They had this group of people assembled somewhere and had planned a fly over where they would drop turkeys down to the crowd.  Well, apparently no one associated with the contested knew that turkeys CANNOT FLY (I did not know this either).  So this plane flies over and they drop all these turkeys out of it that go plummeting down into the crowd like freaking boulders.  LMAO.  The plaintiff got hurt when one landed on her.

It is a much better story when told in person.  But it still cracks me up. 

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195
    edited November 2011

Lisa,

Are you old enough to remember the TV show, WKRP? If not, look it up. There is an absolutely hysterical episode about the very same thing. 

• kmur
    edited November 2011

Ok- this is really sad...but now that I have had my private moments with my neighborhood turkeys and now that I KNOW they are smart...I am troubled by what they were thinking in those moments

Martha...I used to live in cincy and WKRC ( in CIN-CIN-nati) used to crack me up and I was in grade school. I think I also remember that episodeSmile I think it was their radio station that put on that "promotion" Lol

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited November 2011

The turkey stories are hiliarious. Figured it really would never rain men per the stupid song but turkeys??? 

Thanks for sharing the laugh. Oh and Kim, if you find the 40's store, let us know. I dont have the figure for the younger clothes anymore but am not quite ready for the mature look either......

Have a great day ladies.

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited November 2011

I do remember that show, but barely. I was very young when it was popular. That is too funny.

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited November 2011

The turkey stories are great.  I vaguely remember WKRP but not enough to recall an episode.

Happy wedding anniversary Kim.  17 years is a great achievement.   We reached our 10th anniversary earlier this year. Unfortunately it was 2 days after my MX and we weren't feeling very festive.

What did you end up wearing? Did you buy anything?  There's always shoes!

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited November 2011

Classic, hilarious episode of WKRP!  I'm cracking up just thinking about it.  

Happy anniversary, Kim!  Woo hooo!!!  I usually get clothes at Ann Taylor or Banana Republic.  Or, J Crew.  I'm always looking for something that will work for work and life if I'm going to spend any money on something.  :)  But don't even get me started on jeans!  I am tall, and so it's hard already...and then these jeans today are cut so low down that my muffin top sits on top and then my pants fall down.  I have NO butt at all.  I swear, I can just pull my jeans down without opening them.  It's so stupid.  And what's the alternative?  Mom jeans?!  I just give up and put my yoga pants back on.   

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited November 2011

hi girls,

Loving the turkey stories, I honestly can't wait until thursday as I love turkey.

kmur, hope you did find something fun to wear.  I agree with kiwimum, there are alway shoes!  I have been in search of new jeans, I (unlike the rest of you) am short 5'2" and have a butt and hips.  I did find a pair at Talbots (dark wash and boot cut), that don't look like mom jeans.  Have you all seen the commericial with mom jeans, hysterical!  Must admit I have a few pairs I wear around the house. 

profbee, I pictured you in your yoga pants and slip on style shoes at the docs office, made me laugh.

So you know we are all so gorgeous with killer bodies!  So getting ready for a nice long hot bath, more later.

• sarah1968uk
    edited November 2011

Lisa and Kim - you made  me laugh with the turkey tales - funny idea of people being bombed with them - poor turkeys, though!  That Turkey guy on the programme we both saw was very wise and he learned a lot from the turkeys too, as you say Kim!  Happy 17th Wedding Anniversary to Kim and to your  hubby too!

Hope everyone on here's OK.

Sarah x 

• christine47
    edited November 2011

sarah, do you all eat turkey in the UK?  Do you eat it for Christmas?  Just wondering.

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited November 2011

That Turkey story is so funny!  I used to watch WKRP...but don't really remember specific episodes either.  I love T-day, I think I mentioned before, its my favorite holiday, food, family and football and NO presents.

I HATE to shop, but most of my clothes are from talbots or lands end...

• christine47
    edited November 2011

ReadingMama, I am a Talbots regualar, they know my name when I come into the store, yikes!!

Hope you can relax and enjoy the next week or so getting ready for your big day.  I will be thinking of you.  I had my BMX the week after Thanksgiving last year.  Great excuse for not buying many christmas presents.

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195
    edited November 2011
    Hey, I think yoga pants are stylin'! WAY better than sweat pants! Kiss
  • kmur
    edited November 2011

Hey Girls,

Thank You All for the Ann.wishes....this time 17 years ago we were on The Norway..in the port of Miami..we ran away and got married!!! Had a great evening dinner at a Greek restaurant with friends then stopped for ice cream after...I'll never wear those skinny jeans eating ice cream...Lol

Kiwimum...the only thing I bought was a sweater...and I wore jeans from the Gap ( I'v had them for a while) You know I love the shoe idea except I wear a size 11 shoe..if I had a cute little foot ..I would love shoes!!!

Thanks for your ideas about stores..I will check out J. Crew..I have not even been in that store!! As for jeans ..I am tall also 5'11" but I'm weird tall short legs long body so my jeans are too long..but now have you seen the jeans are like leggings...so tight...yuck..I can not pull it off...I need to get some magazines to figure out where I fit these days...I am not a very good shopper...need much help...Lol

Love turkey day too ....eating ...YAY!!!

Hope you all are having a good day/night/morning

• kmur
    edited November 2011

PS...or BTW...i just googled mom jean commercial..as apparently I live under a rock and have not seen it..Oh my gosh that is sooo funny!!  I love the 9 inch zipper and Jeans that fit an inactive body!! I have to admit I also have some mom jeans ( actually 80's jeans) looks like they come up to my chin!! Lol  Thanks for the laugh girls.

meegan also wanted to say hope you have been able to get want you wanted to do done,but are able to rest too..I have also seen the protestors on Wall Street...hope you don't have to deal with that too much.

• sarah1968uk
    edited November 2011

Hi Christine and all,

Yes, we do eat turkey here for Christmas and cranberry sauce too!  We usually have it with veggies inc. (horrible) Brussels sprouts, roast potatoes, stuffing and gravy. So, quite like your Thanksgiving dinners, I think. We also always have Christmas pudding and brandy butter for dessert. It's a dark, spicy, alcoholic heavy thing - I'm not mad on it, but eat it as it's traditional.

Will be expecting pics of you all dolled up in those flattering Mom Jeans!

Sarah x

• achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245
    edited November 2011

I remember the WKRP episode!  Too funny!  When we first moved to Northern Kentucky (I'm from Bardstown, Ky not too far from Bloomfield BTW) we were just outside of Cincinnati and they always had old episodes of WKRP so that was really the first time I had seen them but my husband (8 years older than me) remembers the original episodes.  

• christine47
    edited November 2011

Christmas pudding and brandy butter sounds yummy.  Here our desert for Thanksgiving is pumpkin pie and all kinds of desserts and cookies for Christmas  After the holidays only my mom jeans will fit.

• kiwimum
    edited November 2011

Sarah, I've grown up eating pretty much the same as you at Christmas.  I think it's NZ's English heritage.

Now that I'm older with my own family we've moved away from this and started our own tradition.  It's hot here at Christmas so it seems crazy to have the oven on.  The past few years we've had crayfish/lobster as our Xmas treat!

Funnily enough my girls have starting talking about what to eat Xmas day this year.  They have also started writing their Santa letters.  I'd better get started with my shopping as I also have lots of nephews to buy for.

• kmur
    edited November 2011

Hi Everyone,

It is really fun to hear about the different holiday traditions...and because I really love food..it is even better that you all have food traditions too.

I have a feeling following Thanksgiving..I may not even fit in my Mom jeans. I swear..that still cracks me up...I can't believe we are old enough yet ( we are not ...right??)

Hope everyone is feeling good today..healing well .

I saw my turkeys again...kind of laughed thinking about WKRP..I came home and got my camera and walked in the rain to take pictures. I will try to post them on facebook...BTW I did see them chasing a squirrel..so ..I'm still not convinced they are really smart...Lol

• christine47
    edited November 2011

Looks like a quite Monday.  I am so happy it is a short week!  Having dinner with my Livestrong group, not just BC survivors and men too.  We just completed 12 weeks of exercise together, lots of fun, what a great group.  Amazing how close you can become in such a short period of time when you have similiar interests (cancer).

Went to my PS this am, now scheduled for tats in a couple of weeks!  I am concerned about how much my nips have shrunk, but he thought they looked fine, I hope they don't shrink anymore, they are now about 3-4 mm.  How about those of you further out, shrinkage issues??

I had to laugh today, so you no the drill, no shirt and paper gown for exam.  Then PS (young, so young) stopped back in with scheduling nurse (after I pulled my shirt back on) , and said "oh, they look good with your clothes on too".  I am always looking for the humor in every situation. Over 40 and still hot!  lol.  Would tell my husband, but don't think he would get it.

• sarah1968uk
    edited November 2011

Hi Christine - love it! - good for you!

Shall we start calling you "The Turkey Whisperer", Kim?!

Sarah x

• kiwimum
    edited November 2011

That's awesome Christine.  Love it! Over 40 and still hot!

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited November 2011

Hey Girls,

This is a quicky, but I love you all, really I do, I got the drains out today and was told I can't move for 72 hours!  And no shower for 24 hours... ew... This is going to be difficult.  And I thought I was going shopping on Friday.  The NP just looked at me and laughed...