Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited November 2011

But, the new girls are doing well and settling into their new home.  I need new sweaters. :)

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited November 2011

Eema, you crack me right up.  :)  I love shopping, but hate crowds...the Black Friday thing is just not for me.  Yay on your sweater puppies!  LOL.  Sorry about the restrictions, but I hope you can just rest and heal and let this part be over.  

I realized that I too have a turkey story!  Ah, it may not be that great.  Anyway, we have wild turkeys walking around here all the time.  And one day, like 2 years ago, my son was playing with a superball (y'know those little rubber balls that bounce ridiculously high), and it went into the marshy woods next to our house.  So he could stop "looking" for it, my husband told Jack that a turkey ate his superball.  To this day Jack will tell you that turkeys are mean because one ate his superball!  

8:30 and I'm already in bed!  Lots of love to all of you.

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited November 2011

Eema so glad you are happy with your new girls!

Sorry I have been absent...my DH is having spinal surgery on Wednesday and we have been getting our stuff together (clean house, yard work, etc...) so when we come home, hopefully on Thanksgiving, I won't have to deal with much more then taking care of DH and the kiddos.  

Wanted to wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving now just in case the hospital does not have free wi-fi. 

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited November 2011

Michelle, good luck to hubby!  I hope you get out of the hospital in time for some turkey.  :)  Gosh, WHAT do other people do with all their spare time and healthy bodies?!  I hope this isn't anything too complicated for him.  Thinking of you!

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited November 2011

Christine..I have not ever met your PS..but I just love him and Yay for you fabulous and 40ish!

Sarah..I don't know ..the turkeys could care less about me today!! They were kind of far away though.

Proofbe..That is so cute your little guy angry at those turkeys..that is funny.

Eema..YAY for sweater shopping. Hope you are feeling much better.

Michelle..I hope your DH surgery goes well and you are home and resting well before the holiday.

Hope I didn't forget anyone??

HAPPY THANKSGIVING...

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited November 2011

Michelle - Hope DH surgery goes well and you can be home for T-day.

Now I have to Google the mom jean commercial, b/c I haven't seen it either.

Yes, getting things done at both work and home, never done with list of course, but I feel better now than a few days ago.  Took a nice long, fast walk both weekend days with my friends, so that felt good also.  3 more days of work! 

• o2bhealthy
    edited November 2011
    ummmm I own three pair of mom jeans Surprised
  • lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited November 2011

Michelle - good luck to your husband with his surgery!

Prof - that is the danger of lying to kids to get them to move on from something.  Sometimes they remember it!  It happens with my nephew all the time.  Oh well . . .sometimes the lies are necessary for your sanity.

Eema - glad your surgery went well.  72 hours of not moving would drive me nuts.  I hope it goes quickly.  Your surgeon laughing at you reminded me of my surgeon.  I only had a lumpectomy.  I went back two weeks after surgery and it was doing great, but still an "open wound" in one place.  I asked about swimming (it was end of summer) and my surgeon looked at me with what seemed to be an approving look and asked "Where do you want to go swimming?"  My answer:  Lake Lanier, which my surgeon apparently (and probably accurately) believes is a cesspool.  She did not even respond to me but snapped her head toward my mom and gave her a "WTF? Is she crazy?" look then they both laughed then she snapped her head back at me and gave me the most deadpan "No."  I am pretty sure that was a hell no, but the hell was silent.  :)  

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited November 2011

o2bhealthy, 3 pair of mom jeans, shame on you!  Good luck to you and your DH, my DH is whiney with just a cold, can not imagine taking care of him after a major surgery.  I hope all goes perfect for him.

Emma, so glad thing are doing better for you and your new girls!  Before you know it you will be back out and shopping.  I will give you advice on nipple protectors when you are ready.

Readingmom, I know you must be getting anxious about your surgery, at least there is so much to do this time of year to keep busy.  I may have mentioned before, but I had my BMX the week after Thanksgiving last year.  I hate that this is your second year of holidays dealing with cancer crap.  We will be pulling for you.

profbee, kids say/think the funniest things.  I hope you are writing these stories down, so you can share with him someday.  I remember the Thanksgiving that my youngest was so relieved that we got our turkey from Harris Teetor (grocery store) and did not eat a "real turkey".

Kmur, I love my PS too.  He makes me feel great and doesn't even know that he is doing it.  I do feel much better about my old body again, after a year of giving it up to science.

Kiwimum, Rads almost done?? 

Hi Sarah!

Love you all!

• christine47
    edited November 2011

Hi Lisa, I missed your post.   Hope you are doing well?  You probably have big plans for Thanksgiving with all the football.  One of my partners is having us over on Saturday for the Alabama game, the onlything I know is they are the red team. 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2011

What's a mom jean?  I think I missed something.

• lrr4993
    edited November 2011

Hey Christine.  Doing well.  Busy.  How about you?

I have lazy plans for thanksgiving.  We will probably go out for dinner.  Saturday is a big football day, but only TV football.  No in person game this thanksgiving - that is only every other year when my school is the home team.  

LOL about Alabama.  Yes, they are the red team.  And they are very very good.   

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited November 2011

Good evening ladies.

Kim - I must be your kindred spirit. I too am a foodie and love hearing of others food traditions. 

Christine - Congrats on being a hot mama at 40!!

Eema - Enjoy the new sweater kittens and take it easy over the rest of the holiday week.

Michelle - Wishing you the best with your husbands' surgery and hope you can still enjoy a nice quiet holiday dinner. 

4 days out from exchange surgery and liking the new foobs... Actually look natural and are SOOO much more comfy than the previous brick like TE's. Still a bit sore but was able to return to work today so as to ease back into things....

Wishing everyone a safe and Happy Thanksgiving. Hugs to all.

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited November 2011

LOL mom jeans...oh you mean the "i gave up zippers after I had kids and now wear the elastic waist pant denim looking things" jeans? oh ok, I have those!

• lrr4993
    edited November 2011

LMAO gina.  I have not followed the mom jean story, but something tells me you may be right.

• christine47
    edited November 2011

Betsy, mom jeans are usually a washed denim, generous cut, sometimes pleated (could even have elastic!), they rise to your belly button or higher, straight leg, etc.  Usually worn with a poorly fitting sweatshirt or maybe a holiday sweater and turtleneck.  White princess Reebocks then would complete the look, are you with me know?

Odie, so glad you are doing well post exchange.  Mine looked pretty good from the start, I never had the hamburger bun look that some talk about.  Never had the "drop and fluff".  Saw my PS today, I am now 4 months post exchange, he told me they are not going anywhere and I don't need to where a bra unless I want to.  So braless to a dinner tonight, showing off a hint of my new nips!

Lisa, Thanksgiving Day will be fairly quiet for us too, I have a best friend who is a fabulous cook and she is having us over for dinner and drinks.  I need to bring just a few things, she makes entertaining seem effortless.  I hope to do all my shopping over the weekend so we can focus on doing nothing but my DH and boys this year.  Last year it was all about me, surgery and my cancer, yuk!

We are going skiing in Utah the week before Christmas, another reason to get everything together shopping wise this weekend.

• tinaspaeth
    tinaspaeth Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011

hey girl..i cant tell you this is my second time around..i got it at age 35 in 2002 and again this last christmas..9 years later...i have been there and done ALL that. if there is anything you need or just want to chat look me up..we all have to stay connected in order to stay sane in our survivor world. hugs to you.

tina

• sagina
    edited November 2011

Well, I can say that our mom jeans from the 80's at least made our hips look smaller!!!!!!!! No wonder my daughter's generation thinks they all need to loose weight. The hip jeans just squeeze up any extra anything on anyone.  Besides when I sit down, I like my under ware to be private, goodness knows my boobs aren't!

Mom jeans rock - bring on the leg warmers!

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Thanks Christine... I have the image in my head now... I may own something like that, but no elastic and no pleats... but higher than I'd buy today for sure.

• christine47
    edited November 2011

I wore jeans to my PS visit today, since I knew I would be topless I wore my new great fitting jeans, dark denim, boot cut, lower rise.  Found a great cole hann belt last week and wore some fun higher heel shoes.  I am sure the young doc and all those residents where wishing I was single and old enough to handle me.  A girl can dream right??

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited November 2011

Gina - Leg warmers???  LMAO  - Just praying parachute pants don't come back as those were not flattering.

Christine - Dream big girlfriend!!!!

• sagina
    edited November 2011

Christine~surely the young doc knew what he was saying! and meant it! When I go in they probably have a sudden urge to call their grandmother....lol.

• christine47
    edited November 2011

Just realized I may own some mom jeans older that my PS and the young residents with him today.  Sure hope all this talk makes me dream about beautiful young men tonight.

• o2bhealthy
    edited November 2011

Welcome  Tina!  Sorry you have to be here a 2nd time around.

Bahahahahahahaha Christine!  No elastic or pleats but you got the rest of the jeans look down pat! however I would not be caught dead in a poorly fitting sweatshirt, holiday sweater and no way a turtleneck. 

Gina I was just thinking of leg warmers today, we are heading into cold country for surgery and I was wondering if they were still sold... I still wear a fanny pack when hiking or trips where I don't want to carry a purse...OMG I am so 80's!!!

This is my families 4th Thanksgiving in the hospital...started in 2008 with my son had his appendix out, 2009 my exchange surgery, 2010 my thyroid cancer removal and now 2011 DH having a cervical discectomy and fusion of the c5, c6 and c7 cervical vertebra.  Seems like a good time for surgery...kids are out of school, already have the time off, I don't have to cook...

Truly I am hoping this is the last Thanksgiving surgery, heck I hope it is last surgery PERIOD!  

Odie I am so glad you are happy with your foobs!   Comfy is GREAT!

Holiday hugs to ALL!

Any one heard from Burley?

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

She has been on facebook... pancreatitis

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited November 2011

Christine - your description of mom jeans was hilarious.

Eema & Odie - glad you are both happy.  Here's to quick healing!

Michelle - you are well overdue a healthy family at Thanksgiving (and the rest of the time too!)

I used to love my pink leg warmers in the 80's.  I wouldn't be caught dead in them now.  Maybe they'd look good on my 10 year old.

I'm counting down to the end of rads.  Only FOUR to go!  I am burning now though and feeling quite uncomfortable. 

I have decided to take a day off work to celebrate finishing treatment.  Chemo ... DONE.  Rads ... DONE.  MX ... DONE.  What a year!!  I have booked a 3 hour pamper session at a beauty spa Dec 7.  Can't wait.

I also have baby eyelashes, which is making me happy. The eyebrows are also filling in and my head is getting there. 

• o2bhealthy
    edited November 2011

Kiwi - 4 MORE and you are DONE!!! Dang straight it is time to celebrate!  Have a wonderful day at the spa and enjoy those eyelashes.

• Eema
    edited November 2011

OMG, am I in pain, Ladies!

I didn't take my pain meds at the right time, and even though I thought I was remaining still, I'm swelling a lot. My bra is tight from swelling. Since I have no drains, that fluid has to go somewhere, and it is going right to my new boobies and I have an awful headache. Since I got the tempurpedic memory gel boobies, you can see an outline of my bra embossed into my sweater monkeys. Is this normal? Wait, am I normal? No one answer, please!

So HA, Kim and Christine and anyone else with nipple shields kept in their "special drawer"--- guess what I did today? I scheduled my nipple surgery for the Friday before Spring Break! March 2! I will have about 10 days to recover, and PS says I won't even need that! I hope to G-d I bounce back quick as a Hooters girl's chest, because this one is just taking a long time for me to recover from. What do you with nipples think? Time enough?

Ok, all this talk of spinal surgery is making my neck hurt. I have severe spinal stenosis from C3 to C8, a natural fusion of some disks, and degenerative arthritis. I saw the pain dr last week and he told me once I'm done with the cancer, we can work on the neck, because I can't turn my head to the left. However, I have only one neck (not like the two boobs i used to have) so I'm not so keen on the surgery, but the neurosurgeon says I could lose bowel and bladder function if it gets much worse. Lovely to think about... HA iPad thought bladder was blather! Close!

Night girls. I love you all...and my little boy thinks Bob the Builder killed the wild turkeys near our house--we had a field with lovely turkeys and other wildlife, then they brought over Scoop, Muck, and Dizzy and Rollie too, next thing you know, no more turkeys. He was so cute, "bye bye Turkeys. Bob was mean!". That was when he was 2, he is just starting to feel embarrassed when I tell baby stories...that would be a doozy! When do these kids start feeling all these emotions? Oh yeah, when their mothers humiliate them in public :)!

• Eema
    edited November 2011

Hey, anyone want to get on a pair of mom jeans, a sweatshirt with bells sewn on OR a Christmas sweater (the one you have to wear or Aunt Gladys would be crushed), some Reebok Princess shoes, a fanny pack, put on some Bengals or Devo or Talking Heads on the Walkman and go out for Amaretto Sours? You know you all want to!

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited November 2011

lol Eema.

You are amazing to maintain your spunk when you are in pain!