Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• burley
    burley Member Posts: 248
    edited November 2011

Hello girls.  I am sorry I have been absent, and that you've been asking about me.  Here's everything in a nutshell...

I had tile put in my house everywhere except the bedrooms, so everything was moved into the garage with the exception of the fridge which was (and still is) in my bedroom.  Also in my bedroom is the entire sectional (piled up on itself) and the recliner.  I didn't have a stove or dishwasher in my kitchen for 9 full days because my husband was painting the kitchen.  I still don't have furniture anywhere in house because he's going to paint everything else (supposedly.)  Also, the guys had to take the other toilet out to put in the tile, so we were (and still are) down to one toilet in the house-also because he's planning on painting the bathroom and he thinks it's easier with the toilet out.  This has seriously been a nightmare.

In the middle of all of it, I had surgery last Thursday to fix the indent in my cleavage and go a little bit bigger.  All went well-was released about 5:30 in the evening, but by 2am I was back in the ER because I couldn't stop throwing up.  Long story short, labs showed I had pancreatitis.  Ultrasound didn't show any gall stones.  They had me hooked up to fluid, tons of anti-nausea medicine, pain meds, etc.  Didn't stop the nausea.  They wanted to admit me for a couple of days because the treatment for pancreatitis is to not eat anything by mouth for 2-3 days.  I said no way, and checked myself out.  Threw up the whole way home and for the next day and a half until I got rid of the migraine I also had.  Ugh.

Still nauseous every day and am taking Zofran for it, which really isn't helping.  Pain in the abdomen is constant.  Went to the PCP yesterday with a copy of my labs from the ER and she said go back to the ER because I definitely had pancreatitis and needed to have labs checked again to see if I should be admitted.  BFF took me to the ER last night about 7pm.  Lab work and CT.  No pancreatitis found, but the ER doc said it could have healed itself.  Didn't have an explanation for the pain or nausea but said I needed to see a GI doc.  Released at 12:30am with the instructions to not drink alcohol at all for the next couple of months (or forever), and to follow a bland diet for a couple of days.  I told the doc I was going to eat Thanksgiving dinner and he said to not eat anything spicy, or anything that would aggravate my stomach.   And by the way, please explain to me why my BFF was there instead of my husband when she needs to get up earlier than him for work.  ??

Pain and nausea today, Zofran isn't helping.  Took Tums to see if that helped but it hasn't.  I'm beginning to wonder if I have an ulcer.  So I made an appointment with a GI doc for next Friday.

WHEW!  I'm sorry I've been absent, but all of this has been totally occupying my mind and time.  I'm seriously getting tired of living out of my bedroom.  Being able to cook the past couple of nights has been great, but we're eating in my bedroom while watching TV.  Here's to hoping he gets the painting done by Saturday so we can at least move the kitchen table and living room furniture back in.  I miss my gigantic TV.  Seriously.  I became addicted to TV while going through chemo, and having to share the bedroom TV with my 11 year old has been interesting to say the least.  Lol.

I hope all is well with everyone.  I miss you guys :-)

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2011

Meegan.. Target sells lots of yoga pants, but the ones I bought, I probably wouldn't actually wear to yoga... They are a hybrid between yoga pants and sweat pants, don't have the white stripe down the side, have a softer waist band than regular yoga pants and are the brand Gilligan and O'Malley. Cheap too... I bought them in 3 colors.

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited November 2011

Christine~my darn chemo head, I can't even get the phone number correct!!!!! I loved the 80's, no stress, just dancing.....

Kim~been reading on FB so glad you get a turkey meal. Feel better.

Yoga pants on me....well let's just say I'd stretch them so far they'd be see through like panty hose!

Had my CT with dye contrast today.  My MO ordered the head as well. I guess after I talked with her a couple of weeks ago about the pain I was having when she said she didn't think it was chemo related, she amended the order to include the head.

The tech told me something interesting that affects more than me, surely.  I know all the governing laws of insurance are different by state, by self insured plans, regular plans etc.  But the tech asked me if I was having bad headaches, I told her about what was happening with the nerve and then the pain etc.  She said well no wonder the MO amended the order, that made sense, because the insurance companies won't pay for a CT of the head for BC patients.  She said just about every other cancer they will, but not BC.  Just food for thought when you're getting scanned.

• proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176
    edited November 2011

christine47 - my right non-cancer side never really dropped, so I have been lopsided.  PS said it is quite unusual for the prophilactic (sp?) side to have as much scar tissue as I did.  I think it is because my the port was close to the implant and they had a tough time removing the port during the exchange.  I ended up having a bruise that covered about 2/3 of the implant and went from one side of my right breast to the other.  So I think that is what caused the scar tissue, but who really knows.  I am now 'balanced', and hoping it settles in nicely to its new placement and stays put.

burley - so sorry about the pancreatitis.  I hope the pain goes away soon and stays away. 

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited November 2011

ProudMom, being an implant girl, I am always curious about what people are experiencing.  So glad your PS was able to get you straight.  My port was over my good side too, and it started to move during my last expansions, so glad it is gone, still tender over that area. 

burley, what a week you have had, I hope you are feeling better soon, hang in there!

sagina, when do you get the results of your scan?  I will be thinking and praying for you.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2011

my port got infected then after I had that thing cut out, and they had to cut me by my clavicle to get it out, i had lots of tenderness and scar tissue. After my stage II surgery last week, I asked my PS to work on those scars too... he had a lot of success with the big one, but the scar by my clavicle is being difficult

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited November 2011

Hi all...just swinging by to let everyone know DH came through surgery and is doing great!  We hope to go home tomorrow!   I am exhausted to hitting the hay! 

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

• christine47
    edited November 2011

Michelle, so glad your dh is doing well.  Get some sleep!

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited November 2011

Yay Michelle!  Glad to hear he's doing well...AND that you should get to go home tomorrow!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.  I'm so thankful that all of you have been there for me on this journey.  Sometimes it's still hard to believe that I'm here and bald and have cancer, but I feel so lucky to have made some great friends in all this.  Thank you.  

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited November 2011

Michelle - Glad things went well for hubby today- Hope you are able to get him home & enjoy a special Thanksgiving tomorrow. God bless.

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited November 2011

Just popping in to say Happy Thanksgiving!  I hope everyone enjoys the holiday, even though a few of you have a lot going on.

Some things I am thankful for:

* Alive and well (amazing how BC makes you appreciate that one)

* Laughing . . . I do it a lot

* 4 days off . . . I really needed it

* Hair . . . even if I am only half way there

* Friends . . . new and old and some who exist only in my cyber world . . . you guys are all great and I love chatting with you.

Have a good one! 

• mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited November 2011

Sorry, been MIA.  Michelle I am so glad your husband did well today. Will be thinking of you all in his recovery.

Have to say have enjoyed all the turkey stories and the Mom Jeans!  Not sure if I have any jeans that qualified, YET.  I am sure one pair would be considered close.  With the belly I have the low riders are out.  Major muffin top.  Never did leg warmers even in the 80's. Did do the fanny pack though. Love yoga pants, though am I the only one that feels like I have to dress up and put on my full face makeup to go to the PS.  I hate sitting there with all the other women and wondering why they are there, I am not one that would normally see a PS. So I am really out of place.

Odie, I am glad you like your new squishies!  Kiwimum- love the hair, glad you are almost done!

Meegan- will be thinking about you this coming week.

Christine- are you getting your tattoos from your PS? I thought maybe you would hold out for Earleen.Laughing

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving.  I am thankful for all of you! 

• proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176
    edited November 2011

Michelle - glad you DH is doing well.

• christine47
    edited November 2011

I have been missing you mammachick!  So, yes I am letting my PS do my tattoos in about 2 weeks. He does them himself and so far he has taken fabulous care of me.  I am a little concerned about my nips getting smaller, I actually like them showing a bit when I am not wearing a bra.  I don't want them to disappear.  Hey I dress up for all of my doc appts, I am going to look good even if I am not.  My PS is at a major medical center (lots of congenital defects, trauma and burns), so we all look a bit rough at times.  One place I never had a problem being topless in the waiting room.  At one of my early appts with the PS, I took off my hat in the waiting room, in hopes that it would draw the attention away from a sweet little one who had been bitten in the face by a dog, so sad.  So, long story short, if I don't like his work, I will go to Earline for my touchups.  Have you made any new decisions?

• sagina
    edited November 2011

Yeah Michelle, wishing him a speedy recovery!

Profbee, you forgot proud - here, bald, cancer, and proud to be fighting!

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195
    edited November 2011

Burley,

You poor girl! Good lord almighty, you have been through the wringer. Get some rest and take care of yourself, hon. 

• profbee
    edited November 2011

Sagina, it's true...I am proud of all I've conquered this year.  Have you heard any test results?

• achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245
    edited November 2011

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone - have the greatest day ever!

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited November 2011

Hope you all had a great day!

That was  a really sweet thing to do, Christine, in the waiting room.

Sarah x

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited November 2011

Happy Thanksgiving! 

It's not a special day in NZ but I'm thinking of you guys.

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited November 2011

Burley, so sorry for all you have been going through, we are sending our thoughts to you!

Michelle, glad DH surgery went well and wishing him (and you) a speedy recovery.

Betsy - thanks for the brand name.  didn't see them when I went before, but I didn't really know what I was looking for.  Having the brand name will help...

All, we had a wonderful Thanksgiving and I hope you all did too!  We went into NYC on Wed. had a nice dinner with sister and bil and went up to see the balloons that are in the Macy parade being blown up.  It is very cool thing to do, the kids really enjoyed it, tho it was crowded.  Yesterday, we came out to my parents new home in a contuining care community.  They are in a stand alone 3 bedroom house and it is really nice.  We had a great day, both my sister and brother + spouses were here, dinner was lovely, it was just a really great family day.  We all love the new place and the kids got to go swimming this morning in the pool in the main building.

We are off to see my high school friends and spend the evening with them, will be lots of fun and laughs and they have 3 kids around my 2 ages so it always works out nice when we see them. 

• sagina
    edited November 2011

Profbee~results at 9:45 am appt on Monday.  Fingers crossed...

• profbee
    edited November 2011

My fingers are crossed for you too.  I'll be getting my first Herceptin then.  i think I'm heading to Urgent Care this morning.  This cough is just sounding worse and WORSE by the day.  I gotta Do something!

• christine47
    edited November 2011

sagina, keep us posted on those results, fingers and toes are crossed for you, (an extra little prayer too.

profbee, hope you went and got that cough checked out.  We all have had bad colds and are still coughing here too, but getting better.  Good luck with you first Hepceptin this week.

We had Thanksgiving with friends, husband sad we have no leftovers, so he has decieded "we" should make a small turkey today.  Guess i need to get busy.

Love to all!

• kiwimum
    edited November 2011

I am DONE!!  I had my last rads today and am doing my own little happy dance.

• kiwimum
    edited November 2011

Good luck Monday Gina & Profbee.

I hope your "small" turkey was good Christine.

• profbee
    edited November 2011

woot woooooooot!!!!!!  Yay!!!!!

• christine47
    edited November 2011

Happy Dance for Kiwimum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• christine47
    edited November 2011

Profbee, just noticed you are getting implants for Christmas, are you getting excited?

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited November 2011

Kiwimum,

Congrats on completing rads!!! Happy dance indeed! Time to celebrate...

Profbee - Hope your cough is better soon.