Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited December 2011

Thanks Lisa. I decided to be brave and ditch the wig. I went wigless to work for the first time on Tuesday and then wigless to a wedding last night. It is still very short but I have enough coverage to cover my scalp. I feel quite liberated.

I can't believe it's only 2 days until Christmas. I love all the food planning and entertaining! I am a real foodie!

I heard the best news today. Remember my friend I have been upset about? She was told she had liver mets and then told she probably wouldn't survive 2 weeks. Here we are 2 1/2 weeks later and she is responding to a new chemo!! She is less yellow and her liver mets look like they have shrunk after her first treatment. More importantly she is feeling really positive and fighting hard. Words cannot express how happy this news made me. I will continue to hope for further progress over the coming weeks but wanted to share this good news with you.

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited December 2011

That is such great news Kiwi!!  Positive news from a poor prognosis gives us all hope!  I am so happy for your friend and you too.

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited December 2011

KiwiMum - yeah for your friend, what great news!!!  I'm very happy for you and her!!!

• mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited December 2011

Yay! Kiwimum for your friend and for you.  I know that has to lift your heart.  Also the hair looks great!

I want to go to all of your houses on Christmas Eve.  We usually don't have time for a really nice meal till Christmas Day. 

Meegan- glad to hear you are doing so well since your diep.  Can't wait now.  Had it moved to Feb. 29th because I couldn't wait.

It is so good to hear that I am not the only one still with chemo brain 9 months out.  I don't know who said it and can't go back to look, but if I forget something it will usually come to me later.

Christine-glad you are having so much fun on vacation. I am curious too how are the lashes?

Kim- I have a new tablet and it takes me so long to write a post on it that I usually just give up. Along with Flintstone feet I have man hands which don't do well on the tiny keyboard.

Traveling again tomorrow, so if I don't make it back in a few days, I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas or Holiday season!

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited December 2011

Awesome news.  AND your hair does look great!  I've got fuzz.  I'm hoping that I'll have some consistent something up there so I don't feel the need to wear the wig when the semester starts at the end of January.  Fingers crossed!

• heatherb8
    heatherb8 Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2011

Hi Ladies...I'm reading about the hair and just got mine shaved this week.  I don't finish chemo till February so it's going to be forever before I have hair and hopefully it grows back...I have such a long way to go..and not liking the chemo brain thing..goodness second treatment next week 50% done..spent last week in the hospital due to a high fever..lot of fun that was..but you all give me hope that next year at this time things will be better!  Thank You All!

And by the way I was just in Grove City, PA last week prior to my all inclusive four day/three night hospital stay... :o). 

Lisa...can you adopt me for christmas eve please sounds like a lot of fun!  Wish i had the energy to do some of it for my son, but hell I'm lucky I can stay up at night!!!

Happy holidays to all! 

• lrr4993
    edited December 2011

Heather - come on down!  :)  While I sound full of energy and excitement and fun and I truly am looking forward to some time with my niece and nephew, truth be told there is a part of me that is already thinking "man, those kids are exhausting."  LOL.  I love them, but they wear me out.  That is not a cancer thing.  They were wearing me out long before that.  

Give yourself a break this xmas.  You will be back to your old self or at least well on your way there next year.   

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited December 2011

Heather--Hope you are feeling better!!  Surely you can find better places than the hospital to spend your time!  Will you get Neulasta next chemo?  I like the way you think, after next week you will be 50% done.  I did six rounds and thought of everyone as a step closer.  Did you stay at a local hospital or in Pittsburgh?  Unfortunately in the last few years I have visited quite a few of the pittsburgh and regional hospitals with my aging parents.

Ok--the eyelashes look good (looks like I have long lashes with mascera), I went with a practical lenghth and thickness, but still feel like one of the Kardasians (spelling?).  Not sure if I will keep them up or not.  The girl who put them on was so sweet, it took about 1 1/2 hrs so we talked alot.  Her brother (21) was diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer at 17, and is in complete remission (skis, snow boards and plays soccer).  What a miracle story she told, her love and hope for him gave me goose bumps.  Yesterday she did the lashes for his girlfriend (who had lukemia at age 2), they went to high school together and got to know each other when he got sick and she visited him to offer support.  She thinks he is giving her a ring for Christmas.  I am such a sap for a good love story.

Kiwimum, you do look fabulous. 

Profbee, no doubt you will be wigless for the next semester!

Irr4943, somehow I think you would look just great even with short hair.  I consider short above the ears, not shoulder length.  Happy cooking and family time.

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited December 2011

Chemo brain is really real! I am not the same person I was a before Oct 2010. I was confident at work, I new if I said something or asked some one to do something, I could remember each detail about the conversation.  Now they have all figured me out....and play the "you never said that" or "that's not what you asked".  My thought process is getting better everyday, but it sure shakes your confidence to the core when you just are really sure of anything....

• kiwimum
    edited December 2011

Hi ladies. It's Christmas Eve in NZ and the girls have woken very excited!!

I've got all my last minute food shopping and prep to get done. It will be a busy day. Heading out the door now ... Fingers crossed the stores aren't too manic.

• christine47
    edited December 2011

Merry Christmas KiwiMum!!  Enjoy your girls and busy day.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2011

I just got back from a "quick" trip to a better grocery store... OMG. I hate NJ Christmas Eve Eve traffic... I thought it wouldn't be that bad at 2pm on a Friday.. Took forever to get there, maneuver around the store and then trying to leave?? Yuck. This store is in a small mall with lots of popular other stores... and across the road from a huge mall. Too many people.

• kiwimum
    edited December 2011

Everything is done. Food has been purchased, presents are wrapped and the house is clean. I am sitting in the sun reading a book and playing on my iPad. It's a relaxing afternoon ahead of us and then off out for dinner. The past 3 years we have eaten out at a great, cheap and cheerful local Malaysian restaurant on Christmas Eve. We know the owner by name and the girls really look forward to it. It beats cooking and doing the dishes.

After dinner, when it's dark, we will take the girls to look at the Christmas lights in the neighbourhood.

Betsy, your description of the shops is exactly the same here. I am glad to be tucked up safely at home.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2011

I am looking to move farther into the country... of course BC set our plans on hold... My dream is living on 20 acres in a farmhouse and a couple of horses in a pasture... I know I'd still have to drive to the store, but hopefully in a less congested area. I live halfway between NYC and Philadelphia.

• burley
    burley Member Posts: 248
    edited December 2011

Hi girls!  Look at me, 3 days in a row.  Whee!

My friend got her PET scan results today and it is all in her lymph system.  Something about it being really close to one lung and about to enter it.  She gets a port put in next week, then her first chemo is on the 4th.  No surgery planned for some reason...hmmm.  She has a pretty good attitude which is awesome-she's going to make the best of everything and really enjoy Christmas.  Inspiring.

Glad to hear everyone is feeling well and almost done with Christmas prep.  Like everyone else, I want to be at Lisa's for Christmas!  You sound like an amazing aunt :)

Instead of my BFF coming for  Christmas with her family, and another close friend coming with her husband, it looks like it's just going to be the 4 of us on Christmas day.  Good and bad.  I would really enjoy celebrating with friends so we don't do anything with family.  Sigh.

Happy Friday everyone! 

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited December 2011

Hi Kim, my BC hadn't spread, but I had a large tumor they wanted to shrink first.  I had 6 rounds of chemo before surgery, and way too much time to think about what kind of surgery....

Sending prayers to your friend.

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited December 2011

Merry Christmas everyone.

• profbee
    edited December 2011

Merry Christmas, friends!!!  We're tracking Santa on Norad's website here.  Jack is so excited he can barely take it.  We're opening gifts sent in the mail later this afternoon--there's just so much stuff.  We're going to skype in grandparents...fingers crossed we can all get that to work!  LOL.  Lots of love to you all.

• kiwimum
    edited December 2011

Merry Christmas everyone. Have a wonderful day.

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited December 2011

Merry Christmas everyone!!! May your Christmas be blessed and full of laughter and love!!!

• lrr4993
    edited December 2011

Merry Christmas ladies!

We had a crazy couple of days here with my niece and nephew. I am not joking when I tell you I was asleep within 10 minutes of them leaving this afternoon. They had so much fun though and so did I. I just love them to death.

Does anyone do the elf on the shelf thing? My sister did it this year and we decided to have it show up at my house while the kids were here. They woke up to find my xmas tree toiletpapered by the elf and he was sitting in the tree holding the empty roll. My nephew was so funny about it. I think he views the elf as some sort of rodent. First he said to me in the most exaperated tone "Heads up - he WILL toilet paper your bathroom. Trust me." And he was not sure if it was their elf or a new elf, at which point he says to me all grown up like: "You better hope this is our elf and not your own elf, because if you have your own elf now, you will be dealing with this stuff (i.e. the TP tree) for the rest of your life." LMAO.

I hope you are all have a fabulous Christmas!

• profbee
    edited December 2011

That's hilarious, Lisa.  GREAT pics...you're such a great aunt!

• lrr4993
    edited December 2011

Thanks prof!  My goal has always been to be the coolest person they know.  Cool

Speaking of cool, or lack thereof, my nephew is 8 and in the last year has started playing football.  The man who lives across the street from me is a professional football player.  He was out in the yard today with his daughter and so I told andrew to go outside with me and I would introduce him.  He came over and chatted for a while.  I kept waiting for andrew to ask for his autograph on the new football he got for xmas, but he never did.  He was very shy about even talking to him.  Well, this guy goes back inside for a while and we are all out front throwing the football and playing with the new puppy my sister got the kids.  I look down at the football and there is this guys name written in marker.  I asked my sister why is his name on this ball and she tells me that when she told andrew to get his football so he could sign it, andrew decided he would just "sign" it himself and wrote this guys name on it.  ????  Then I had this horrid thought of what if this guy comes back out and offers to throw some balls with andrew and looks down and sees his name on the ball.  I would have been mortified . . . like we are all out there stalking him.  LOL.  My sister was embarrassed too and made andrew go inside and take it off the ball.  LOL.  He did come back out and hang out with us, but never threw the ball around, so I guess we were worried over nothing.  It was pretty funny though.  My sister and I were both cracking up at andrew having taken care of the "autograph" himself.  Dork.   

• June2268
    June2268 Member Posts: 926
    edited December 2011

Here is wishing all you ladies a wonderful holiday season with lots of love and laughter and hoping I will get a chance to get to know you ladies real good once things settle down here as I have not had time to post and read, so until after the holidays....ENJOY!!

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited December 2011

Hiya to June and hope all you great ladies had a wonderful Christmas Day!

Sarah x

• christine47
    edited December 2011

Hoping you all had the most wonderful Christmas! 

I am getting ready to go out and shop, hoping to pick up some paper for next year.  I should stay home and clean up the mess from yesterday, but that would not be nearly as much fun and getting out in the crazy crowd.

Hope you are all enjoying your day.  Kiwi, did you get in that pool yet??

• kiwimum
    edited December 2011

Christine - I got in the pool for the first time 3 days ago. FINALLY! I have been in 2-3 times a day since.

I hope you have a successful shopping trip and it's not too crazy. Boxing Day is the busiest shopping day of the year in NZ. It's chaos. I avoided it yesterday.

We had a wonderful Christmas, and yesterday we had a relaxing day catching up with friends. One great thing about the pool is our friends and their children visit us heaps. Now if I could just get a towel washing fairy I'd be sorted!

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited December 2011

Hi Everyone,

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas . It has been so nice to be home with the family and not running out the door in the mornings. Did lots of cooking and now need to get back to exercise ( yuck). Maybe exercise after NewYear. Lol.

Kiwi mum. I forgot to say I love your new picture. You look great. Your hair is coming back dark as you had before.

Lisa, I couldn't help but think. I bet your neighbor would have been pleased your little nephew thought so much of him. Thought that was cute he did that. Little boys are so funny and wise.

Have a good Sunday everyone. Hope you all are well

Sarah. Hope you got that real tree and enjoyed Christmas with your son.

See you soon

• lrr4993
    edited December 2011

I hope everyone has survived the holiday!  I am back to work tomorrow.  I am actually looking forward to the end of the holiday craziness and getting back to normal.  I have eaten my body weight in junk food in the last week.  Diet is back on tomorrow and exercise.  Got to do it!

Do you all have a person in your family who always gets the most bizarre xmas presents for you?  Mine is my Dad.   I told him I wanted a 20 piece set of flatware to add to my existing set.  He got that one right.  But then he got me:  another in the line of xmas ornaments that he has been buying for years that I NEVER put on my tree and yet he still gets them (hint Dad); a neck massager which I would have actually liked but already own (stick to the list Dad); and, gift cards for several dining establishments, three of which I NEVER eat at.  While I appreciate the thought (which likely occurred at the gift card kiosk at publix . . . lol), I honestly would prefer that he just save his money. He is retired and on a fixed income and I don't like Red Lobster or Olive Garden.  Looks like one of those two for his birthday dinner in march.  LOL.    

• June2268
    June2268 Member Posts: 926
    edited December 2011

Lisa that is so funny as we tend to get the gift cards to gambling establishments in which we have no money to spend there in the first place and it is an hour away seems a little crazy just to go eat there so they are adding up so one of these days when we have money to shell out for a sitter we will drive to a far away place and get a good dinner.....ha ha

Relaxing with a pomegranate martini in hand, hope you all enjoyed your holidays.