Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited December 2011

Hi ladies. My hair is still too short to curl. I have had straight hair my whole life so curls would be a shock. I'm getting better and better coverage everyday.

Love the sound of your new hair colour Christine. Funny you should mention eyelash extensions. I just had some put on today. They are fabulous!! I love them. I have the long curly eyelashes I have always wished for. Whilst my lashes are growing back, they are still very short. We are going to a wedding on Thursday and I really wanted lashes. I've bought a new dress and shoes and now I have my lashes I am very happy. The wedding will be the last time I wear my wig. I am planning on ditching it Friday for good.

Profbee. I'm glad your surgery is done. I've always hated bras and take mine off as soon as I walk in the door to home. It would drive me crazy to wear a bra for 3 weeks. I guess I have that to look forward to when I eventually have my recon.

Hi to everyone else. Betsy your mullet comment made me laugh. Christine, enjoy the rest of your skiing trip. Stacey, safe travels. Kim, is your hair as long as your profile pic or longer now? It's good to get a gauge of how fast it will grow.

• achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245
    edited December 2011

Hi Everyone!  So excited yesterday to welcome my new granddaughter to this world at 1:31 p.m.  She is absolutely perfect in every way - 6 lb 3 oz - 18 1/2 inches and already has her daddy (my son) wrapped around her finger.  Babies sure do remind us that miracles do happen!

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited December 2011

Hey everyone,

Profbee I hope you are feeling good this am and loving your new squishies

Mamachick... Will you see dr Massey? Would love to know what you think of her. From reading your post I sense happiness in your decision.

Christine... Yes, I have not had on single cut yet....

Kiwimum.... My hair is a little bit longer now. I have some pics from thanksgiving on fb that would show where it is now. My hair has always grown slowly though so I may not be the best comparison I really like it though it has come back much thicker and as it gets longer it is getting wavy instead of curly Thought I would say several years before dx my hair began to thin a lot It was scary. I even went to the doctor to make sure I was ok. They tested thyroid etc. And found me to be healthy as a horse. Now I wonder if it could have been my body fighting this ? Guess that's water under the bridge but does make me think

Have a wonderful day

• kmur
    edited December 2011

Archpurple...I must have been slowing typing and missed your post. What a wonderful Christmas present so happy for you to welcome a new little person in the world. Have fun and blessings from your cyber friend

• mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited December 2011

Congratulations, Achpurple!!!!!!! What a Christmas present!!!!!! 

Betsy and Kim- I did not go with Dr. Massey.  I went with Drs. Craigie and Kline.  My PS here in town greatly recommended them and I liked the idea that they are always in town.  They have done close to 1000 diep with a 99% rate.  We both felt very comfortable with them.  They spent over 2 hours just talking to us and making sure that we didn't have any more questions.  I scheduled for May 9th, but am hoping now I can move it back to late Feb. early March.  My DH is now telling me that he thinks he can borrow vacation time from next year.  He doesn't get new vacation time till the end of March. We both feel really good about this decision. But you know men they are hard to read sometimes. Like I said before he just doesn't want to get his hopes up and then be let down again.  Though they didn't build it up to be "perfect" like my first PS. One funny thing, the Dr. was examining me and asked what it was that I really didn't like about my implants. I flexed my Arnold S. muscles and he went "OH!!" And he didn't ask again!  I guess you had to be there.

Kim, Betsy and Christine. When did you all finish chemo?  I finished in March and I really thought that my hair would be more normal.  As I said before it is still very thin. You can see through to my scalp in the front.  Not bad, but just enough to realize how thin it still is.  Haven't had it cut yet, it is covering my ears, but no real bangs yet. Not to curly either so I can handle that.  Still not brave enough to color it, though I may do that over Christmas break.  Well off now to TN till tomorrow then DE on Friday.  Have a great rest of the week.  I should be able to check back in soon though.

• kmur
    edited December 2011

Hi girls,

Mamachick... That is so great they spent time with you. That is one of the many things I love about my PS. She really does give you her ear and she does not sugar coat the truth. I bet your hubby thinks more about you going through more pain. I sometimes try to think about my husband going through all that we have.... I just imagine they know this has been hard. My husband looks for the end of it and normal life BTW...I finished chemo not this sept but last sept then finished my 28 rads in nov...this was my first thanksgiving tasting real food so I ate my share and others shares too!!!! Lol. As I said though my hair has always grown slowly so I am a not good judge about hair growth. Also. I heard on here about biotin ( supplement ). I took that for some time. That may have helped. I also color with henna and it is wonderful for shine and natural highlights leaves my hair very soft. I use a mail order product called light mountain. I mix one part black with one part dark brown. The color only runs about 8$. I used to spend 100 $ then not like the color. It is messy though and it does take hours so I color on the weekend also if you make a mistake and get too red or too dark you can just color again it does not hurt your hair. Sorry to go on about it but I just really love it. I took pictures of the shine. I will have to put them on fb. Lol

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2011

Stacey... I have heard of those docs... There is a woman on here who I have emailed with a lot who used them... haven't heard much from her lately, but she was happy...Susan is her name... I will look for her user name, and maybe you can PM her.

I wouldn't assume your husband needs to take off a tremendous amount of work... I was at home alone one week post op (maybe 9 days)... and was in the hospital for a good chunk of that time before then...

About hair, I finished chemo in May... I have always had a lot of hair, and now is no different. I have had a couple of trims (in August) to fix the strays and now need one to avoid the mullet. Plus I had it colored in August (highlighted) and it is needed again... this Friday is the day.

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

SAMayoFL

• burley
    burley Member Posts: 248
    edited December 2011

Welcome new girls!  It's awesome that we're still growing!

For the life of me I can't remember what my son would have said about his little boy parts when he was little.  I do remember that he peed sideways for years.  What a nightmare.

I'm happy for you gals that are having such luck with hair growth.  We are obviously so different that I think it's hard to judge.  I've been done with chemo for 17 months and the hair on top of my head is literally only 3 3/4 inches long...and super thin.  My hair used to grow very fast and was VERY thick, so this is frustrating.  I have the sides and back cut every 3 weeks or I would look like Bozo for sure.  I seriously still look like a recovering chemo patient.  Very strange.  My doc has checked all my levels and I'm fine, so...?  My fingers are crossed that none of you will experience the same thing :) 

My Mx group friend has mets to the sternum-did I tell you that already?  She had to go see her Onc in person just so the insurance would OK a PET scan.  That just took place today.  Then she has to wait until her appointment on Friday to find out the results.  Seriously-WTH.  Now I'm overthinking every ache and pain, and checking for lumps everywhere constantly.

I had a meltdown on Sunday because I left the burner on on the grill and used up all the gas.  That's the second time in 2 months I've done it.  I can't remember anything unless I write myself a sticky note and put it on the coffee maker or on my bathroom mirror.  It's horrible.  Damn chemo brain.  My poor husband-I was sobbing, and it turned into me blubbering about feeling like an alien.  I am so vastly different from the person I used to be.  Anyone else feel like that? 

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Kim... I think hair not growing properly, taking meds that make you sleepwalk and hearing about women with metastasis can make anyone feel alien, and lost in their own life. I don't have that feeling, but I do feel like I am still obcessing about cancer, coming here during every spare moment, and I'd love to be done. Yesterday and today I have been so tired... thinking it may be the tamoxifen, which is concerning since its a part of my life for 5 years....

The other night I went to my work holiday party and ended up in two in depth conversations with  women who are also recovering... one just had her exchange yesterday. BC is everywhere, everywhere and we want it nowhere.

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited December 2011

Aw, Burley.  I wish I knew what to say to help you but I don't.  If it helps, I feel certain that how you feel is very normal.  Having a friend with mets would send me into a funk too.  One of the reasons I don't like coming to this board is the mets/death posts.  They scare me to death.  But I enjoy hearing from others who understand what this is like, so I keep coming back.  No matter how supportive friends and family are, they truly do not understand what it is like to go through this.

Remember the post I had a few weeks ago about breaking down in tears when talking to my mom about her will.  Not because I was sad about the thought of her dying.  It was because I had the thought that I may well not outlive her.  It came out of nowhere and I could not control the reaction . . . something I normally can do.  I really do think there is something to PTSD arising from this diagnosis.  I am in a far better mental state that I was a year ago, but every once in a while the fear creeps back in and it is just devastating all over again.  I am not sure we ever get back to where we once were.  Our lives have changed.  But I know I can still have fun and laugh and try to do so whenever possible. 

And it is everywhere, which does not really help with forgetting about it.  I am sure it has always been everywhere, but I am just now paying attention to it.   

About the hair, have you tried any hair growth supplement?  I know I sound like a pill pusher talking about them all the time, but I hit a period this summer where the growth seemed to slow down and then it really took off once I got back on the supplements. I am taking one called "Great Hair" (very creative, huh?) that is sold at Vitamin Shoppe.

So, it looks like I am hosting Christmas Eve dinner with my family.  The menu is Italian . . .lol.  My Dad is making his famous rigatoni (it is to die for) and I am finally putting all my Pottery Barn reindeer crap I have been collecting for 5 years to use.  I went to whole foods today and got a selection from the olive bar, including their yummy olive tapenade, along with some exotic italian cheeses to have as appetizers.  They will look lovely next to the velveeta slices for my niece and nephew . . .LOL . . .damn kids always ruin the perfect spread.  But they are what it is about, right?  They are responsible (sort of) for desserts.  They are sleeping over the night before while my sister and her husband get all the santa stuff done.  We will be making cookies, a xmas tree cake, and a rice krispy snowman that they get to decorate with icing and sprinkles.  Lots of fun.  And all the cleaning I have done this week will be down the tubes in a second!

I hope everyone is having a good week and is ready for the holiday! 

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited December 2011

Lisa,  Oh I want to come to your house for dinner on Christmas Eve! 

I don't think we would be normal if we didn't still have irrational thoughts and fears related to cancer.  Heck, we are all around 40, how can we not be alittle crazy with worry.

Burley, I hate that your friend is getting such crappy treatment from her medical team.  She is lucky to have you for support.

• kmur
    edited December 2011

Hi everyone,

Oh Lisa....me too. I bet you are the most fun aunt....you are giving them memories they will share with their children. Are you Italian ? I know that is probably a stupid question. My friend Allison is Italian and sh just went to Rome to visit family. She said they ate and ate and drank wine all the time and she did not want to come home. So I have this vision of big Italian families and food.

Kim, I can not imagine being the same as I was. I also have troubles with memory. I love to cook and lately I will forget things I never would have like adding the egg in the recipe or lots of other things. I just recently described this feeling to a friend as a "dog chasing it's tail" I am a bit ADD now. Was not before. I can start projects on every floor of the house and not complete one. I have decided to laugh at myself and chalk it up to lack of sleep and no estrogen. Oh ....my son even had to connect all the lights on our tree apparently having the letters on the cord that match the corresponding letter on the "matching "cord was not working for me. I had to walk away from that tree. My son fixed it in about 4 minutes. I am sorry about your friend. I think it is news like that all of us fear. When I hear things like that it rattles me. I wish I could say something really great to make that better. I do understand as I know all the girls here do. I also believe those who have not been down this road do not fully understand.

Christine......oh my gosh.....do you all have snow now?????? Thought about you last night on the news the talk with all that snow. Be safe out there. I spoke with my friend Betsy from Greensburg just yesterday and told her about my BC friend from Greensburg . That would be funny if you all knew each other. She went to college in Pa too for the life of me. I can not think of the name??? Oh well enjoy that snow have fun with those boys and be safe!!!

Good day to all

• kmur
    edited December 2011

Christine....I just remembered. She went to grove city.

• Lifeafter
    Lifeafter Member Posts: 298
    edited December 2011

Does anyone in here know how to read lab results?  I had labs done two weeks ago.  I've been feeling awful, like I'm in constant recovery from my last surgery.  My Vitamin D levels are lowwww.  I'm being prescribed 50000iu of Vitamin D.  The PA said everything else was fine.  I got copies of my report and I looked at stuff.  And my Vtiamin B12 is low and my RDW is high.  Corresponding other levels related to RDW are low.  I'm meeting with my oncologist on the 13th.  I would think he would know how to read my labs.  I did research and I think I'm anemic, which would explain ALOT.

Anyone have any expertise in this?  Or have something similar?  Is this common with cancer patients?

Michelle

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Michelle... I have no idea, but I am sure someone from the doctor's office could go over it, no??

And Burley... about the feeling like an alien and getting depressed... I think we are all in that boat, at some point, some more than others. My friends with cancer had a better diagnosis than me, so luckily I am not surrounded by bad news... but I agree with Lisa, coming here and hearing about mets and stage IV and people passing away can be very very hard on me... at times I tell myself to stay away to avoid it, but I love the comraderie. But when its someone you know and know that it could be YOU, it is even harder. I have one friend who died from BC and I tell myself that she was diagnosed at a late stage, and I was not, and I hold onto that, tightly. You are a proactive woman, talking with other proactive women... you are ahead of the ball... beileve in yourself and trust that the hair will improve as will your feeling out of sorts.

• burley
    burley Member Posts: 248
    edited December 2011

Oh my, what is the deal?  Depressed.  Ugh.  If I remember correctly (joke), I think this happens every year about this time.  We don't see my husband's or my family for Christmas which is really strange.  And my ex-husband and I alternate Christmas morning/afternoon with my son, which is also very strange.  I have him Christmas morning this year, which is always awesome.  He can see his Santa gift first thing. Hee

I'm sorry Michelle, I have absolutely no idea how to read lab results.  I can stare at them and not make any sense.  I guess you could do research on the Internet?  Maybe someone else here can help.

Betsy-Lunesta wasn't working so I had to switch back to the Ambien.  Last night I finished off the french bread left from dinner, and polished off the rest of the ice cream.  Normally I don't eat ice cream but it was Peppermint and apparently I couldn't resist.  I did tape off the pantry door though.  Ha.  Like that helped. 

I hope everyone is having a terrific Wednesday :-) 

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited December 2011

Hey women.  I know what you mean about hearing bad news and getting upset, but you women are so much more--so uplifting to me.  

Michelle, I don't know the answers either, but I agree with Betsy...call and ask if a nurse or someone could go over these results with you.   

Burley, the other day I sat looking at a picture of my first cousin for 20 minutes trying to remember his name.  My FIRST cousin.  I only have 4 first cousins.  I feel like i've been dropping the ball a lot around here too.  I just think we're operating at such a high stress level for so long that it's just going to take a while to be totally sharp again...maybe after we let go a bit.  And you have your friend on your mind...when I'm worried about something or someone, I get fuzzy.  You're just fuzzy.  :)  Speaking of fuzzy, I totally feel you on the hair.  It's just a tiring side effect...there's just so long you can keep a stiff upper lip and be brave and strong about everything....sometimes I just want to be pretty again.  It'll happen.  And for now, we know just how you feel.  

Hi everyone else!  I think I'm going to try that hair supplement, Lisa!  Prep and Landing 2 almost over...bedtime for Jack almost!  SUCH a long day--morning kindergarten was cancelled due to icy roads (no snow, just freezing rain), so he's been bouncing off the walls all day.   

• lrr4993
    edited December 2011

Kim - I am only part Italian.  My mom's side of the family is heavily Italian influenced.  Her mom (my grandmother) was 100% italian.  She and her many brothers and sisters were exactly what you probably imagine italian families to be.  Lots of food and no one ever stops talking and they all talk at the same time.  They were crazy!!

The Italian menu has nothing to do with heritage, BTW.  We just love Italian food far more than turkey or ham.  My dad is not even italian but his rigatoni ROCKS!  The secret is thick pieces of pepperoni and slow cooking overnight so the pepperoni gives the sauce a bit of kick.  It is so freaking good.   

And you are correct, I AM the most fun aunt.  :)  Just ask my nephew.  A few weeks ago he wanted me to go to a movie with him but I couldn't and so my sister offered.  He looked at her all whiny and she said "what?  I am just as fun as Aunt Lisa."  Andrew looked at her like she was crazy and said emphatically "No you aren't."  I loved it!!  He is my boy.  I just adore him.  And his sister too, although I have never been as close with her as him.  Speaking of which - he just called as I was typing this.  He is very excited about Friday and even more excited about the fact that he beat my high score on an ipad game that I have been taunting him over for weeks.  LMAO.  My sister told me I should be embarrassed for teasing an  8 year old over this, but I think I should be proud - 8 years olds are the masters at video games; not people my age.  Right?

• kmur
    edited December 2011

Gosh Lisa. ... That sounds so fun ...food and talking ..just love that. Yes, 8 year olds are the game masters...I have mentioned my friend Betsy ... You two sound similar ... She is very good at most everything and really impressed my son when he was little.. She was very good at guitar hero. I remember hearing him telling his friends about "how good she is". That is so great they have you to look up to and enjoy. I'm sure they love every minute with you.

Michelle...I wish I had an answer but I really don't know either..I will say for some time after treatment. I was very tired ( well still tired sometimes ). I also take vitamin d . I hope the doctor can answer those questions for you.

Have a good night you all

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited December 2011

achpurple - congrats, what a lovely Christmas present, enjoy your new grandbaby!!

Prefbee - congrats on your exchange!

mamachick - congrats on your decision, I think you will be very happy with the diep.  I had mine 3 weeks ago today and feel better each day.  It is great they spent so much time with you and I know I have heard those drs names before.

Lisa - Christmas Eve sounds great and what a fun aunt you are, those desserts sound yummy and how nice that you are giving your sister time to get ready!  And an 8 year old and video games, taunt away girl!!!

My sister-in-law is hosting Chrsitmas Eve and it is also Italian, baked ziti, meatballs & sausages, chicken picatta, some seafood dish, I think she is up to 17 people so it will be a lot!  Christmas will be home, first time ever, and just the 4 of us and my parents, we are having ham.  The 26th we will go to my sisters and celebrate with my side of the family, my sister, brother and their spouses and my little 6mo old neice.  I will be napping with my neice in the afternoon!

Definately still chemo brain for me and I finished in Jan!  Very frustrating, I try just to move on and whatever I'm trying to remember usually comes back to me.  If I'm going somewhere, I try to prepare, like last night I looked over the school directory for the 1-3rd grade families since we were going to the Winter concert, so I would hopefully remember everyone's name who I should, and I did!

• christine47
    edited December 2011

Hi to all!  You all probably think it strange I am posting on vacation, really I am not.  Today I did not ski, it was snowing like crazy and I like to be able to see when I ski (I am dangerous enough skiing when I can see).  Everyone is sleeping but me, so here I am.

I can not believe how close it is to Christmas, I was done with my shopping, but found a great book store and went crazy.  There was a young man (early 20's) and he recommended a bunch of books suitable for my boys also bought some for me.

Kmur, I grew up 20 min from Grove City College.  My parents would have loved for me to go there and live at home, no way.  It is a great small college.

RE chemo brain, this is a real thing, several new studies have validated it in young women with breast cancer.  My onc has allowed me to stay part time, feeling the effects of chemo take longer than we think to improve.  I think that I am seeing improvment with rest, exercise, reading, doing homework with kids, etc.  We will overcome!

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Christine... I am sure I have missed a post here or there, but where are you?

• christine47
    edited December 2011

bdavis, Park City, Utah.

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Very nice!!! Enjoy.

• Lifeafter
    Lifeafter Member Posts: 298
    edited December 2011

Thanks, the PA went over them but all she did was look through them real quick. She pointed out the one big glare, vitamin d but when I got home later and went over it with a fine toothed comb, I found all this abnormal stuff. I researched that night and found that what I found when factored together pointed to anemia and vit b deficiencies. I'm not making another appt when I'm just paying a copay for nothing. So frustrating. I'll just wait til I see my oncologist in January. I'll stick toothpicks in my eyes till then to keep them open.. :p I was hoping someone on here may have experienced the same thing.

• superfoob
    superfoob Member Posts: 121
    edited December 2011

Howdy!

May I join in....pretty please? I am 44 and married with no children (by choice). My DH and I have been together for 23 years and married for 6 of them.

I have been lurking around the forums since May 2011 as I was diagnosed in April.

The information, helpful hints and over support has been so huge to me.

I. Have already done chemo (neoadjuvant): dose dense AC 5x and Taxol/Carboplatin 8x.

I just had my Uni NSM with immediate foob on Dec. 12. I still have my lovely drain "jewelry" but hope to get it out by next Monday. I was hoping for Friday but it is still too productive.

I work for a "major grocery company" in the Marketing division but I have been on leave since my dx. I also silversmith for fun and my garage is my studio. My car parks outside...hee!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season!

Smiles!

• kmur
    edited December 2011

Good morning ..(afternoon kiwimum) I still think that's pretty cool to chat with you girls over the pond and beyond!

Michelle ...hang in there with that info. Following chemo I had an additional scan ( I can not remember which kind ct or MRI ). Anyway...I did get the results and read them...I noticed this info about my kidneys and liver...really scared me . Naturally I questioned because I was given the all clear. Turns out my liver has some what I guess you cal. Fatty bumps to it lots of people have. I can not remember exactly with the kidney but it was something I was born with and no biggie but to read the report it got my attention. In my very wordy way... Just trying to say do check with the ONC but keep in mind the reports have to say something ( I learned anyway) hope that helps some

Christine.... How are those lashes???? I bet you all are having a ball. Thought I would tell you the bunny hill at seven springs scared the you know what out of me can't imagine gigantic mountains!!!have fun my friend

Today I will be on my way to see my old neighbor. We always make Christmas ornaments together. I usually make something for her as well. I made cinnamon swirl bread. Love to make yeast breads and pastry. So today will be a good food good company day.

Geegster

Thinking of each of you hope you all are

• kmur
    edited December 2011

Sorry. I could not figure out how to finish my earlier post on this tablet thing I am using.. Was trying to say welcome geegster. You have found a thread of wonderful girls. Hope you get rid of that drain soon as I know all of us here have had drains and could not wait to get rid of them.

Now I can say. Have awonderful day you all

• lrr4993
    edited December 2011

Kiwi - I don't know how I missed your new avatar yesteday.  You look so pretty!  Seriously!  You have the kind of face that can wear that short hair.  I wish I did.  I look HORRIBLE within anything shorter than shoulder length.

You know who else looks spectacular with her post chemo short do - that woman from the today show.  Robin?  Is that her name.  I swear she was so darn pretty even when bald.