Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited December 2011

Pomegranate maritini sounds yummy!

Lisa, sounds like your dad really loves you.  My extended family has finally agreed that buying each other gift cards, useless gifts, etc,, makes no sense, so now we just buy for the children.  My MIL was the queen of useless gifts, amazing how many oraments for our tree she bought from places SHE visited.

Kiwi, so glad you finally got in the new pool.  I always say the only thing better than a pool is having a friend with one!!  Boxing Day?  You and Sarah have some different traditions.  Sarah, hope you had a great holiday too.

Hi Kmur!

I hate it is back to work tomorrow, also back to exercise, healthy eating, etc.  Although we have plans for NY eve and I plan to be crazy.

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited December 2011

Christine - We have been trying to downside xmas for a couple of years with the "just for the kids" thing, but it never seems to work.  Part of the problem is that my parents consider my sister and I as part of the kids, so really my sister and I are the only ones downsizing.  Then we feel guilty and end up buying gift certificates for them because they are so hard to shop for.  My granddad gave me cash (as has been the case since I was about 7 and became too picky to buy for) and I gave him a visa gift card.  What is the point??  We may was well just do nothing and call it even.  It would certainly save me the stress of trying to think of something for him because he never tells you what he wants and usually hates whatever you get him.

My dad sounds like your MIL.  He is really into those xmas village collectables.  You know, the little houses, shops, etc. and you set them up like a little town.  Well, he has an entire bonus room full of them.  It is disturbing.  About 10 years ago he decided that I was going to start getting village pieces for xmas - he loves it so I should too, right?  I had gone to London for vacation and got a xmas Parliament building (village sized) for xmas that year.  I got another one the next year but dont remember what it is.  Then I went to rome for vacation.  I told my dad when I got back that I absolutely do not want a xmas colloseum or xmas st. peters or whatever italy crap they may have in the village line.  After that he never bought them for me again.  The two he did buy have never left their boxes.  I never even opened them to look at them.  I now that sounds ugly but I don't mean it that way.  They got put up in a closet and are now forgotten except when it is time to tell "bad present" stories.  LOL.  I would give them away, but then I would feel guilty somehow. 

All that said, the worst and funniest ever is the year I got an minature ionic breeze for my bathroom.  My sister had just had her first baby and my dad bought her this giant ionic breeze to clean the air in the house for the baby.  He got me a mini one.  It was weird but I did not think much of it at the time.  A few months later I was watching TV and a commercial came on for the ionic breeze.  Turns out my mini one was the free gift with my sister's big one!!!  LMAO.  Lord.  God love him. 

• christine47
    edited December 2011

Lisa, at least your dad bought you the village houses from places YOU visited, lol.  My parents are now in a retirement community (my dad has dementia), we dread the day we need to go to their house and started sorting thru all the stuff they have collected. 

Love the story about the minature ionic breeze.  This year my MIL gave my husband a "metal wallet" from Walgreens.  I saw a late night commerical for them and wondered who would ever buy such a thing, now I know.  As they say in the south "bless her heart".

• heatherb8
    heatherb8 Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2011

Thanks Lisa..that story just cracked me up!  I finally put the smack down this year on buying gift cards and receiving gift cards..I too am not a "chain restaurant" fan and I always end up with the olive garden/red lobster...I hate seafood and olive garden is fine for lunch (salad and soup) I found bahama breeze is in the same chain and out of all of them it is my favorite and can deal with it..I know I sound so stuck-up, but really what is the point..I said each of us will go to our favorite restaurant and call it a gift from the others! 

I do just buy for the kids now..and my MIL..she helps us out so much with our son...I need to get her something..this year a gift card to the grocery store!  Who can't use that for rx or food right!  My parents did give us each $30.00 a piece which was nice and can add to my nice dinner our when I'm feeling up to eating my favorite things again!

Yum a pomegranate martini sounds delicious..Just gotta get through three more t/c treatments..another tomorrow..1/2 way done!  I have had a couple beers this week, and they didn't taste bad! I just want to be "normal" again..although I never will be my old "normal" ever again,  but at least I get to be a part of an elite group of woman and men although I haven't seen many on here. 

Thanks ladies for giving me a sense of "normal"

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited December 2011

Hey friends!  I totally talked to my brother and agreed...just the kids.  Then his wife sends this package that includes stuff for me and hubby.  ugh.  NOW I have to go out today and get stuff to send them.  (I had planned on just checks for the kids, and mom left my house without them before Christmas...but her trip down to see them has been delayed b/c she's sick with a virus.)  

I know she's trying to be nice, but it ends up being MORE work for me right now.  I'm JUST getting out of the house and driving a BIT after the exchange.  blerg.  I sound like such a bah humbug.  It was a really great holiday, and I really shouldn't be complaining.   

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited December 2011

Hi everyone,

Hi to you Christine and BTW...had to say you should go a little crazy for New Years...I am so happy to be here I take it all in and enjoy everyone anymore ( the good,bad and otherwise) lol

That pomegranate martini sounds so very good. I found this cocktail recipe we will try for New Years it is 3/4t sugar 3/4 oz fresh lime juice splash of cranberry juice put this into a shaker with ice and shake along with 2 oz vodka strain into a flute and top with champagne sprinkle a few fresh raspberries on top ( that's the good for you part) lol. I'm not much for champagne but New Years is the one time I will drink it???? I will test it I guess.

We do not gift anymore ...well my in-laws only . My husband has 15 nieces and nephews .. We used to buy for all and ship things here and there , but they are all older now some married so we just stopped. Now we get to stay home for Christmas and that is nice.

We did get some sad news also. I have never heard of Wilsons disease. I find more and more health things I never dreamed could exist. I have a niece in Tennessee and she lost her boyfriend to this disease the day after Christmas I knew he was ill but at 29 years old thought he would get stronger. I guess this disease is a build up of copper in the body and it can destroy the liver. I guess he had no idea. So I just felt so very badly for his parents and of course my niece and her family. Makes me ever more aware of living my life and laughing and enjoying each day .....sorry to through that out there. I have just had this on my mind for some time.

So on to a happier topic. You all know about my turkeys ....well ....my MRI or called me early one morning last week and said "thought you may want to know you ave some peacocks headed your way". ( I thought....she's confused turkeys with peacocks....city slicker lol ). I went outside and sure enough we had 6 peacocks on the driveway lovin life and not one bit afraid of us. I guess they are from our area ..... I'm not sure what is going on with my bird encounters these days. Maybe a sign or something????

Have a great day and Christine .. Hope your first day back is ok today

• kmur
    edited December 2011

This I pad said MRI should have said neighbor and are should be have some peacocks. This spell check thing is kind of bothersome....and then I really didn't plan to send this thought I deleted before it posted ... I really didn't know if I should share that about my niece. Usually I try to only say happy things. So sorry about that.

• mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited December 2011

Sounds like everyone had a great Christmas.  Lisa, I must say you had me cracking up about your Dad's presents.

Kim- I too hate to write on my tablet, that is why I haven't posted.  Finally got on the PC to post.  And I wanted to tell you I got to tead your posts before you deleted them.  You don't always have to be positve for us.  That is why we are here, for the ups and the downs.  I am so sorry to hear about your niece's loss.  And I know you hurt for her because that is who you are, a loving, caring, kind person. So don't feel that you always have to be happy and joking, life can't always be that way.

I have to admit I give ornaments, but only to my kids and nieces so that when they get their own home someday they will have a starter stash to take with them.  I really don't care if they take them or not.  My kids seem to like them and like to look at them each year as we decorate.

We too do the gift cards.  I think we will talk about it this coming year, because it is pretty silly to give them and then get a card back. Though I will say I wouldn't go out and spend the equivalent on myself that I would have received. 

Kim- I am flexible about Asheville.  You let me know when you are coming and I will be there.  I really don't have any plans to be out of town except for my surgeries and I won't know about stage 2 until a few months out. I am only an hour out and can drop what I am doing to meet you.

Profbee- I am glad to see you are out and about.  I hope you are loving your squishies!

Kiwimum- I would say I envy you, but I don't like to swim much and I love cold weather and snow.  I know I am crazy.  But I would love to visit New Zealand some day, but that is just a dream that probably won't be fulfilled anytime soon. :)

Don't drink, Heather but I have to say the Pomegranate martini sounds really good.

Have a great day everyone!

• profbee
    edited December 2011

What's going on, Kim?  You okay?  Truly, I know I've come here down at times.  We're here for you no matter what.

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited December 2011

Hope you're OK, Kim.

Like the Christmas present stories!  Most of ours were OK!  I bought my  2 nephews a Lego Millenium Falcon set to share (spaceship from Starwars - mothers of girls!). I'll see them tomorrow. I hope it's OK and they will share it nicely. My son already has his beady eyes on it - to "help" them fix it together. Let's hope there are no tears tomorrow !

Yes, we had Boxing Day yesterday - a day of complete slobbery!  I noticed on my calendar that UK, Canada, NZ and Aust. get this holiday off - why not the US? - time to complain!  We also have " Bank Holidays" of which today is one, when everyone is off work. My OH isn't back in till the 2nd of Jan., after New Year. Nice long hols. for him. Sick of turkey yet? I planned to make turkey pancakes, but may just have it in gravy with oven chips ( fries) and veg. Feeling sicky with catarrh and sinus headache at the mo. Made a lovely breakfast yesterday, with v.expensive Blue Mountain coffee (my Christmas treat!) and threw it all up again! What a waste of money! Still at least I'm not eating too much.

Enjoy the rest of your holidays. You're not a bah humbug, Profbee!  We all know what you mean and after surgery too, it must be difficult. Hope you're enjoying that lovely pool, kiwimum. Your hair looks great btw. Love to Christine and Lisa. Horrible being back in work - do you get New Year off? Love to everyone on here.

All the best, love Sarah x

• kmur
    edited December 2011

Hey you guys. Sorry to post and delete. I try to edit as I go but this goofy iPad likes to change what I type and it looks like i'm goofy....

Mamachick and profbee thanks for that...

I had posted that I am just so very thankful to be here. I take everyone as they are ( good bad and otherwise . Lol

My husband has 15 nieces and nephews all of them older some married so we do not gift anymore ( used to though). Anyway. We received a phone call from my mother in law stating my niece in Tennessee lost her boyfriend the day after Christmas. I have never heard of Wilsons disease????? So many things I do not know about I guess. Anyway. This disease allows too much copper to build in your body and can just shut down your liver. I knew he had been ill but thought a 29 year old man would be strong enough ( I didn't know this is what he was fighting). So what I said is that I try to only post good stuff or ( what I think ) is funny stuff .... And then this silly I pad kind of does what it wants to do so I thought. Oh geeze. I will delete all that....

Mamachick....that is really nice that you buy ornaments. I have this same tradition with my son. I make an ornament for him every year. And I have also collected Christopher Radko ornaments and the german Old World ones too. Now I just make them though. I hope one day as you said he will have a nice start for his tree and they will mean something to him. Thank you for your kind words. I too am not sure about Asheville. I know the three of us would have a wonderful time but I then got to thinking I will need to see what s going on closer to may probably ???? My husband has been so busy with work. I will wait and see what he is up to then???

So hope you all have a wonderful day Raining here should switch to snow maybe later!! Would love a good snow.

Profbee. .... I saw your little post about Jack not wearing a coat on fb .... You are not alone. My son started the same thing in second grade. To this day. He will wear a hoodie. But not much more. Christmas morning he wanted to check out some new airsoft guns on the deck and he was headed out the door in shorts????? This time his dad told him to put some clothes on lol.... not me being the bad guy !!!

Talk to you girls later

• kmur
    edited December 2011

Sarah, I was typing so very slowly and missed your post. I am so happy you enjoyed your Christmas. So funny your statement about star wars. Yes, I imagine all mothers of boys know all about star wars!! Lol we used to buy all of that. Even cereal for breakfast. Lol. Have you not been feeling well? Did I read that wrong?? If so I hope you get to feeling better soon

• profbee
    edited December 2011

Oh, Kim.  I never heard of Wilson's Disease either.  I'm so sorry for your niece.  I always think that it's particularly tough when you are "just" the girlfriend in a situation like that.  I hope people understand and help her through.  That's just so sad right at the holiday.  I'm so sorry.

• kmur
    edited December 2011

Thank you profbee.. Me neither never heard of it. I just couldn't help but feel for his parents ... Gosh they day after Christmas. He was an eye doctor in Tennessee the two had just bought a house and were planning to marry. I don't see my niece that often really but gosh I just can not imagine this loss for her

• profbee
    edited December 2011

Oh gosh, that's so sad.  His poor parents.  Your poor niece.  Man, even just financially...just bought a house?  That's awful.  To go through so much so young.  I'm thinking of them. 

• June2268
    June2268 Member Posts: 926
    edited December 2011

Profbee your close to me being in NH, did you hear of the firefighter in Worcester Ma who died in the line of duty a few weeks back.  He was engaged to be married this New Years eve and already had 3 boys from a previous marriage and was only 46 years old.  Well with all the publicity of his death they only mentioned his girlfriend a few times and my heart ached for how she must have felt.

Kim, so sorry to hear about your niece and her boyfriend.  Never heard of Wilson's either. How was it that he found out about this/symptoms?  Praying for your family and hopefully she can have a huge support to help her through this most difficult time.

I think it is back to diet time as I have done a lot of eating and drinking these last few weeks.  Hope the rest of you ladies are doing well.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2011

I too buy ornaments for both my kids every year... My thinking is that when they move out and have their own tree, I will give them one from every year... so now my tree has a ton of ornaments and my husband complains that its too many.. But some day, a sad day, I will have less...

kim... sorry for the loss... It must be so hard on the family... way to young to die.

• kmur
    edited December 2011

June, you know at first I think they really thought he must be drinking in secret. I think it was the liver failure. I think most of us assume a failing liver in a young man could be something like this. I don't know how many if any other red flags may have been seen along the way. To me ..it sounds as if this is something that can be controlled when diagnosed early. Men in general seems they never go for check ups I am going to be on my husband about going!!

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited December 2011

(((Kim))) my heart goes out to your neice and this young mans family.  

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited December 2011

First things first,

Kim - please do not always feel you have to put on a smile or laugh...Many heartfelt hugs to you & your niece. So terribly sad for the entire family. We definitely must stay on the males in our lives to be sure they get routine checkups.

Kiwimum - Glad you are finally getting to use the pool, hope the daughter has mended and your hair looks great!

As for the ornament a year idea, I LOVE IT! Wish I had done that for my kids but will save the idea for the future grandkids (no time soon)

June - Count me in on the diet. Have my 3 month check up on the 23rd of January and don't want to go in there with an uptick on the scale....Tongue out  Wonder how long post exchange surgery, I should wait to start limited upper body exercises? 

Enjoyed the holiday and am now counting down to time to say good riddance to 2011... Nice rainy day here so am curled up with my pups and the computer but promise to be functional tomorrow... tee hee. 

• sarah1968uk
    edited December 2011

So sorry to hear  of your niece's loss, Kim. Love  to you and your family. I saw your deleted posts and wondered if you were OK.

Hi to Stacey and everyone else I've missed.

Sarah x

• christine47
    edited December 2011

Hi girls!  Back to work today (1/2 day) after a very long break, then out shopping this afternoon with some friends.  We had so much fun, I didn't really buy anything, but encouraged my friends to buy a bunch of stuff. 

Kmur, so sorry to hear about your niece and her loss.  I had a classmate in college with Wilson's disease, which unfortunately resulted in deposits in his brain. Let us know when you can travel and where (Asheville?).  I am really quite happy with the tattoos I got from PS, so don't need to see Earline, but would meet you and mamachick anyhow.

mamachick, when are you going to Charleston?? 

sarah, are you feeling bad?  Pancakes with turkey, did I read that right?

profbee, what do you think about your squishies?

Heather, I promise food and drink will taste good again once chemo is done.  You will be 1/2 way before you know it.  We will be cheering you to the finish.

Anyone with big New Years plans?

• kmur
    edited December 2011

Hi to all and thanks for your ear. Sarah I really am ok. The deleted posts really were due to this iPad changing my words. I will get all finished and then realize it has changed some of my words . And then it makes no sense and I have not found a way to go back and edit as I could do before.

Christine. I had never heard of Wilsons. Sorry your friend had this as well. We will most likely be home for New Years. We don't like to be on the road really I am so glad you had fun shopping with friends . I do plan to try a champagne cocktail it has vodka,lime and a splash of cranberry juice .. We will see if it is good.

Profbee how are you feeling post exchange?

Heather hang in there. It is so much better once beyond chemo. I'm sure all of the girls here will gladly be here to see you to the finish.

Odie and fellow eaters. Me too. I should be thinking diet but just now ate pumpkin roll .....I will start tomorrow. Lol

I know I have missed something.

Kiwi mum How is your friend doing. I have been thinking of her

Take care everyone

• heatherb8
    heatherb8 Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2011

Kim..so sorry for your nieces loss..that's just so much to deal with at that age and at this time of the year..Prayers to her and his family..

And thank you all for the support and seeing me to the finish..1/2 way done as of yesterday...

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited December 2011

Kim, I hope you are doing ok and am sorry for your nieces loss. I have been thinking of you.

Thanks for asking about my friend. She is doing better thanks. They have started her on a new type of chemo which seems to be working. She is less yellow and the liver lesions seem to be shrinking.

Yay Heather, halfway done! I hope you are feeling ok today.

Odie - I too can't wait to say good riddance to 2011.

Sarah - we too had a Boxing Day of complete slobbery. It was great! I've got to ask about turkey pancakes?? In NZ everyone has a really long break this time of year. DH and I are not due back at work until the 16th of January. Yippee!

Christine - no big New Years plans for us. We usually go to a friends house to celebrate. A group of us with children of a similar age go there. The children have a great time with each other ... and us adults relax, eat some good food and drink some good wine. Because all of us have young children, we are always home and asleep long before midnight.

June - back to diet time for me too. Blergh!

Hi to anyone I've forgotten, Stacey, Profbee and everyone else. I'm still in bed so must get up soon. My youngest is lying next to me watching Disney Channel ... I love the lazy holidays.

• sarah1968uk
    edited December 2011

Hi to all!

I'm pleased to hear that your friend is responding well to treatment, kiwimum.  Give her our love from all on here.  Great you've both got a nice long holiday.

Well, my turkey pancakes seemed to have inspired a couple of queries!  They aren't the US style of panckes, with turkey on the side, rather my own invention. They are thin pancakes  - maybe you call them crepes? - with pieces of leftover turkey, in gravy, with cooked mushrooms, cranberry sauce , chestnut stuffing, if I've made it, as well as herby/breadcrumby stuffing, all mixed up and used to fill the pancakes.They are then covered in a cheese roux-based sauce and baked in the oven. Definitely not a light meal!  Well, I was too lazy to make them this year, anyway. 

Hope everyone is OK.

Sarah x

• lrr4993
    edited December 2011

Wow Sarah - that sounds good.  It does sound more like a crepe than a pancake.

On that note - warning . . . random bizarre comment - there is a famous place to eat in Atlanta called Gladys and Ron's Chicken and Waffles. That is Gladys as in Gladys Knight (a famous R&B singer for those outside of the US who may not know of her).  It is an institution here.  I personally have never eaten there and cannot fathom the appeal of chicken and waffles, though I like each individually.  Anyway, that is my story.  LOL.  The turkey and pancakes made me think of it.

So, a few of you have heard about my excitement today.   My neighbors were a victim of a home invasion last night.  I live in a nice and safe neighborhood, so this was quite surprising to me.  I was reading the news this morning and saw a link for the home invasion in the atlanta suburb that I live in, so I read it out of curiosity.  I read the street name and thought "Gosh that sounds like it could be in my neighborhood."  Then it dawned on my that it WAS MY STREET!  Holy crap.  I was still in bed at that point and left my room to go downstairs.  You can see out of the window over the front door from my bedroom door.  I immediately noticed the news van parked in front of my house.  Holy crap again.  More facts developed as the day went on:  5 armed and masked men forced themselves into the home (still not clear on how . . . maybe knocked on the door it seems) at 8:00 pm (very bold).  They forced the family to lie on the floor and covered them with blankets.  Two of the men watched them while the others ransacked the house.  No one was harmed, thankfully.  The evening news had an interview with them and they think they were targeted because they are Indian.  There apparently has been a rash of similar crimes against Indians in affluent neighborhoods in metro Atlanta because of the belief that they have large amounts of gold in their homes.  Who knew??  I googled this and it seems this is a problem nationwide - several big cities are reporting increased crimes against Indians in search of their gold.  The theory is that criminals are targeting gold because it has increased in value recently and will hold its value in the face of concerns about the US economy.  It is very interesting, although I would prefer it not happen 30 yards away from me.  To think this was all happening while I was sitting in my living room watching TV last night.  Scary.

• christine47
    edited December 2011

Sarah, those pancakes sound yummy, I think of pancakes as sweet, not savory.  Love my pancake with blueberries and whipped cream.

Irr4993--I have not had the news on today.  HOLY COW!  I am glad you are ok, but no doubt shook up.  That is so sad for that family.  I am so glad they are ok, I hope no one but us knows about your mini ionic air cleaner.  I hope you can rest well tonight (all joking aside).

Kiwimum, enjoy your New Years celebration, you are one day ahead of us, right?

• lrr4993
    edited December 2011

Can you even imagine the crime that would be attracted by my mini ionic breeze?!  LOL.  Forget gold.  That is where it is at.

I am a little worried that I am not going to sleep well tonight.  I feel okay, but once the lights go off I am sure I will be listening for every little sound.  Ugh. 

• profbee
    edited December 2011

I'm so glad that you're okay, but remember now, your block is probably the safest block in the world tonight!  Nobody's coming back to your block with the police and the news and all the other activity there.