Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Survivors who had chemo etc and are into Complementary medicine

Options

Comments

• pejkug3
    pejkug3 Member Posts: 277
    edited July 2011
    Options

Ooooh, Cheetos.  I LOVE Cheetos.

I stared at them for a long time on the shelf at the store this evening.  I left them there.  But then I came back around and tried to rationalize how I "deserve" them with all I'm going through and all.

I ended up leaving them there.  I know I'd end up eating the entire bag this weekend.  I can't eat what I don't have, right?

• Sherbear
    Sherbear Member Posts: 68
    edited July 2011
    Options

Oh god I miss Cheetos.  If I buy them, I eat the whole bag, so I try to refrain. But when they're around, look out, I'm on them!

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited July 2011
    Options

I did as well.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited July 2011
    Options

DeRox I have read that about raw veggies and chemo but I was on Nuelasta during chemo. I was told I could eat everything and I did, including sushi. The only thing I did not do is sample the raw cookie dough when baking. I never had a problem in the past but on chemo I didn't want to risk  it.

Caerus-Sunflowers Where in Western MA? I grew upSE of Boston but went to summer camp in E. Otis, worked in E. Longmeadow for 3.5 years (lived in Springfield for a while) and went to UMass Amherst my 1st 2 years of college. I still have some friends in western MA.

V8 fusion does have a low cal but they replace the sugar with nutrasweet. Personally I feel to get the roughage benefit from veggies and fruit it's best to eat them whole. I personally feel the less processing the better but of course V8 is might be better than nothing at all.

• Texas357
    Texas357 Member Posts: 332
    edited July 2011
    Options

For those who have mentioned giving up soy sauce, there's actually very little soy in soy sauce. So feel free to use it!

• Texas357
    edited July 2011
    Options

Some veggies are better when cooked: Steaming helps preserve their antioxidants and makes them easier for your body to absorb. This is true of carrots, zucchini, broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, cabbage and tomatoes. In fact, tomatoes are better for you when processed than raw because it releases the lycopene, which has been shown to have anti-cancer properties.

• lago
    edited July 2011
    Options

I too have heard that about tomatoes. I use a lot of canned tomatoes (no salt added of course) and don't feel as guilty about it because of that.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited July 2011
    Options

I will be spending tomorrow canning tomotoes.  I love having my own stuff to use.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2011
    Options

I braise, as opposed to steaming, a lot of vegetables.  So a tiny bit of fat, either olive oil or butter.  Depends on the veggie.  For example, I do kale in olive oil and garlic, and Swiss chard in butter, often with pine nuts and raisins.

Braising brings out a sweet and nutty flavor.  Recently, I braised snap peas in a tiny bit of black truffle oil (olive oil infused with black truffle) and a tiny bit of water.

Any liquid is absorbed by the vegetables so no nutrients are lost.  And really, very little fat.

I also love to roast veggies, again with a bit of olive oil or butter.  Carrots are like candy that way.

Sherry.....two months to tomato season here.  Jealous. - Claire

• Texas357
    edited July 2011
    Options

I use mostly olive oil too. Last night, I made vegetarian pannini sandwiches: fresh veggies roasted with garlic, olive oil and fresh herbs from the garden, about a tablespoon mixture of low-fat cheese, toasted on sourdough English muffins.

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    edited July 2011
    Options

I love steamed veggies.  Do not EVER boil them anymore.  

The problem with the V8 juices, and others like them, are that they are processed.  The contents have reached extremely high temps that kills off most of the nutrients. However, if it is the only way someone will eat their veggies, I guess it is better than nothing.  

• pejkug3
    pejkug3 Member Posts: 277
    edited July 2011
    Options

What do you guys use for salad dressing? 

• claire_in_seattle
    edited July 2011
    Options

Extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a 3:1 ratio.  Dump in a bottle with dried fines herbs and a bit of Dijon mustard.  Shake.

I am amazed that anyone buys prepared salad dressing as super simple to make and delish.

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited July 2011
    Options

Claire_in_Seattle, I agree I enjoy vegetables sauteed in a bit of olive oil. I've been experimenting with grilling them in the oven with a bit of oil as well.

pejkug3, I use extra virgin olive oil for my salad dressings. I add apple cider, red wine cider, or one of the other ciders to the oil just to add I use a bit of water to cut down on the calories.

• lago
    edited July 2011
    Options

Salad dressing:

1/2 part salsa
    1/4 part balsamic vinegar
    dried basil to taste
    garlic to taste
    Dijon mustard
    little bit of olive oil
    1/4 water

blend all ingredient together with an immersion hand held blender. Chill. You may have to add more  water or less vinegar depending on your taste. I have made it with Cholula hot sauce too instead of the salsa but you use only about  half the amount.

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited July 2011
    Options

lago, I love the idea of adding salsa, never thought of it. It would bump the nutritional value with the tomatoes.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,031
    edited July 2011
    Options

Does anyone want to come and be my cook? You all sound awesome!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,017
    edited August 2012
    Options

Glad I missed what ever the spam was, and thank you to all for reporting it, and keeping this thread such a wonderful resource.

Lago - in the "hilltowns" with all the good rural country follksKiss Farms galore...my sugar snap peas are blooming

• claire_in_seattle
    edited July 2011
    Options

Reminder that one "new" veggie here in Seattle is "pea vines".  I braise these, and can fill in untill the peas show up.  They are usually sold with some pea flowers, so picked at that stage.

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2012
    Options

I LOVE those, Claire ;)  Buy them at farmer's markets cuz I don't want to use my own vines ;)  I use them raw in salads - nice sweetish balance to the mustard greens I also use.  I also love Nasturium flowers.

• Sherryc
    edited July 2011
    Options

I will have to try some of the salad dressing recipes.  I use a homemade buttermilk dressing.  If I remember to post the recipe when I get home I will do that.  I don't have it here at work.  I can't stand store bought dressings. yuk

• ebann
    ebann Member Posts: 1,474
    edited July 2011
    Options

I really enjoy this thread. So much information and so healthy for you, We need to stay health concious. I wish I did better at this when I was  younger. Making the change now is better than not making the change at all. Thanks for all the wonderful advice and for the recipes they sound wonderful will be trying them.

• lago
    edited July 2011
    Options

Caerus-Sunflowers I spent a lot of time in Northhampton. Not too far. Really pretty country… and yes lots of farms. Doesn't Bill Cosby live out that way too.

• ktym
    ktym Member Posts: 673
    edited July 2011
    Options

Patzee, thanks for passing that on, never heard of it, can you keep us updated on how much you like it?

• Texas357
    edited July 2011
    Options

I just looked at the website, and was disappointed that while they mentioned the published clinical trials they did not post any of the trials or results.

• lago
    edited July 2011
    Options

Anyone recommend a good probiotic? I used to use this one type of nutra flora that worked great but the site I used to buy it from is gone. It worked great. I had been using it for 3+ years.

I like it in powder from not in the form of a pill.

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2012
    Options

Lago, I pm'd you ;)

• Sherryc
    edited July 2011
    Options

Lago I use NOW and buy it at the health food store but it is in pill form.  I do remember seeing that they carried one in powder form as well but it was a different brand.  I'll be going on Tuesday if I remember I'll check out the brand for you

• DebRox
    DebRox Member Posts: 141
    edited July 2011
    Options

Lago:

Metagenics has an outstanding probiotic than can be purchased in powder or pill form.  It can be ordered online.

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited July 2011
    Options

On the subject of salad dressings... my favorite is Trader Joe's Champagne Pear Vinaigrette.  It's mostly pear juice/pear puree with bits of gorgonzola cheese.  Just 45 calories for 2 Tbs., and it's so good!   Deanna