Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Survivors who had chemo etc and are into Complementary medicine

Options

Comments

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited July 2011
    Options
    My husband used to use Kens lite raspberry vinaigrette & lite Caesar. Not all stores sell it though. I prefer to make my own and limit the crap & salt. Most of the fat free, and/or no sugar tends to be high in salt. Salt is cheap so that's why they use that to make up for the lost flavor.
  • proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176
    edited July 2011
    Options

Opinons any one?  Turmeric or Curcumin or both?

I try and drink Turmeric tea with ginger 3-4 times a week.  Sometimes I don't and was thinking about taking Curcumin pills on those days, or maybe I should take some everyday regardless if I have the tea or not.  Wondering if any of you have experience or suggestions on this subject.  

The champagne pear vinaigrette sounds delicious, just wrote it down on my shopping list. 

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297
    edited July 2011
    Options

I have never liked sauces and dressings, so I just use a bit of lemon juice on my salads.  I am a picky eater, so many of the things you ladies mention don't sound too appealing to me, but I'm trying!  On another thread someone mentioned how they roasted veggies, and it sounded really good, but I didn't write it down ( and don't remember where it was).  It was just cut up veggies, some olive oil, and maybe something else?  How hot and how long would you roast them?

Any recommendations for a meatless meal that my "meat and potatoes" husband might like?  We both eat fairly bland (well, compared to others!).  We are scandinavian, after all!

I love this thread!  Thanks everyone for sharing your info!

• JoanDavies
    JoanDavies Member Posts: 80
    edited July 2011
    Options

If you can, use tomatoes or tomato sauce in a glass jar rather than a can. Cans contain aluminum, which is a toxin and is bad for us, according to Dr. Blaylock in "Health & Nutrition Secrets That May Save Your Life." It's expensive, but organic tomato sauce in jars tastes so much better and has significantly fewer ingredients than most other sauces. Ever since I read that book, I've been avoiding canned products, especially diet sodas, which I used to drink voraciously, as the artificial sweetener is toxic, the can is toxic, and Coke uses fluoridated water to make Coke products, and fluoride is extremely toxic. Is it any wonder we have cancer? We're filling our bodies with toxins and not even realizing it. That's my motivation when I linger in the chip aisle at the store. I really, really want them though!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2011
    Options

TMarina......

I roast veggies all the time.  Either in butter or olive oil.  The one I choose depends on what I think goes better (or which one is easier to get to.

I cut eggplant into slides and roast.  Otherwise, I usually cube or chunk the veggies.  I cut onions into quarters (unless huge).  So often something like carrots, onions, potatoes, and mushrooms mixed together.  If summer, I add in wedges of tomatoes.  You get the idea.

I snap off the tough ends of asparagus and roast under the broiler.  Just amazing.  This takes only a few minutes.

I either put a couple of tablespoons of olive in the bottom of the pan, or melt about the same amount of butter.  Then coat thoroughly, and season with a bit of salt and pepper.

Roast at 350 for about 45 minutes.  You will need to turn half way through and watch carefully.  They should be brown when done, but not dried out..

Then serve with whatever else you are serving.  Just delicious.

Sometimes I do carrots by themselves in a bit of butter.  Like candy. - Claire

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Claire - Thanks, I never knew the time or temp.  No cover right?  No broil right?
  • DebRox
    DebRox Member Posts: 141
    edited July 2011
    Options

Proudmom:  I read the Anti-Cancer book and incorporated tumeric into my diet.

I get it over with by taking it on a teaspoon.  I mix 1/4 tsp tumeric with 10 grinds of black pepper and olive oil. 

Don't know if it is helping me or not.  I have no way to guage.  If it is a placebo, well at least I feel empowered.

Of interest, my inlaws are taking it by the teaspoon now after visiting with me.  They have noticed a reduction in their arthritis pain.

• MaryNY
    MaryNY Member Posts: 486
    edited July 2011
    Options

DebRox: is that the dried, powdered turmeric? Do you take it just as you said or do you incorporate it into recipes?

I found some whole turneric root in an asian market. I planned to preparing it using a recipe for Turmeric Golden Milk. But when I peeled it, found that it was white turmeric rather than the familiar orange one. I did cook and made a paste but didn't like the smell and eventually threw it out. 

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited July 2011
    Options

I buy all my spices at the Spice House. Yes it makes a difference. They sell both organic and conventional ground tumeric root. You would be surprised there really isn't that much of a price difference.

For those of you that shop at Penzey's… they are brothers (that don't play so nicely with each other I heard) so similar stuff. I don't know if Penzey's does organic.

• LtotheK
    LtotheK Member Posts: 487
    edited July 2011
    Options

Not sure where I read it, but I remember hearing that we'd need to eat a brick's worth of turmeric every day to have the anti-cancer effect (Indians don't have lower incidence of cancer, according to what I read).  But, it is supposed to be a great anti-inflammatory, I wish someone would sink some major $ into the research to find out the dosage.  I bet there is something really valuable there.

Love Penzeys!!

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297
    edited July 2011
    Options

claire--thank you!  I will write it down this time!

• claire_in_seattle
    edited July 2011
    Options

Omaz....you roast uncovered.   I usually use a heavy large tin.

The only veggie I regularly broil is asparagus.

Otherwise, I roast.

Forgot peppers in the list.  Red , green, or whatever other color.

I do eggplant on a cookie sheet (coat with a bit of olive oil) for about 20 minutes, then turn.

Use in eggplant parm as opposed to breaded and fried.  I used to make that all the time when I was married, but haven't made recently.

Mmmmmm, I am getting hungry and just dinner time here.

But have some Wagyu beef raised in Oregon, so steak time.  (On sale.....not quite what I thought it was, but will be delish.)  Taboule salad to have with.  I am lazy and haven't been able to make myself as well as the Near East tastes.

Then a couple of veggies.  Just the most glorious evening here.

• MaryNY
    edited July 2011
    Options

The roasted vegetables sound great. My sister in Ireland regularly does carrots and parsnips (hard to get decent parsnips in the US) and they do become kind of candied on the outside.

I didn't hear of Spice House before. I thought Penzeys was unique. But on Chowhound I just read: "Patty Erd, owner of the spice house with her husband Tom Erd, is Bill Penzey's brother. Ma&Pa Penzey founded the spice house and sold it to Tom and Patty some years ago. Bill formed Penzey's on his own."

There is a Penzeys store near me, but they don't sell organic turmeric.

LtotheK: India does have a lower incidence of breast cancer than the US. Some sources put it at 1 in 22. However, the new cases are thought to be underreported and the mortality from breast cancer is higher than the US. Also, rates of bc in India are rising dramatically as it becomes more westernized. See BreastcancerinIndia

• DebRox
    DebRox Member Posts: 141
    edited July 2011
    Options

Maryny: I use organic ground turmeric. I purchase it at mothers market.

I mix it as I described. I tried adding it to a few recipes and other than stir fries well, let's say it didn't taste good. So on the spoon and down the hatch method works best.

Also I was going to try to purchase it at an Indian market for optimal freshness.

As I mentioned my 72 yo fil takes it and he swears his joints feel better.

• claire_in_seattle
    edited July 2011
    Options

We get wonderful parsnips here in the NW, and climate is not that different from Ireland.

I need to make a "curried parsnip soup" when the colder weather comes, but not exactly "health food".  However, it does put a smile on my face.

Feeling wonderful from dinner: all the veggies, fresh local strawberries, and a good cab-merlot blend.

My Kobe beef steak was delish, and have three more now in the freezer.  Again, this is amazing meat raised in Oregon.

I need to find some pea vines next.  Also, will get fresh coho salmon which is on sale this week.

Life is wonderful.  (And the sunset is just glorious too.....cool though, as did not hit 70 today.) - Claire

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited July 2011
    Options

Here is the Ranch Dressing recipe:

2 teasp parsley

2 teasp chives

1 1/2 teasp onion powder

3/4 teasp garlic powder

1/2 teasp salt

1/8 teasp pepper

1/2 teasp buttermilk powder

dash dill weed

1 cup mayo

1 cup buttermilk

mix first 6 ingredients in a spice grinder and grind fine.  Then add buttermilk powder and dill weed and grind just until mixed.  Mix dry ingredients with mayo and buttermilk and set in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.  You could also use the dry mix with greek yogurt for a yummy ranch dip.

• Sherryc
    edited July 2011
    Options

I was taught to roast vegetables at 400 to 425 until brown.  Especially for the root vegetables as they will caramelize and bring out the natural sugars in them.

• MaryNY
    edited July 2011
    Options

Claire: I wish I could get those parnips around here. All I see in the supermarket are wrinkly dried-out parnips.

• Sherryc
    edited July 2011
    Options

Joan Davis I am trying to switch over my storage containers to glass instead of plastic.  Little my little.  I love canning my own stuff because I can use glass jars and it taste so much better than what you get in the store.  I am starting to look for items that are packaged in glass instead of plastic or cans.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,031
    edited July 2011
    Options

I just ate a whole carton of blueberries all by myself! I am going to make a point of buying fresh fruit when it is on sale & pop it in the freezer for later.

• mammalou
    mammalou Member Posts: 293
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hi, new to thread.  I am working hard at eating healthy and organic.  I went to see a Naturapath and she is getting me set up on supplements.  I'm still doing radiation so I have to wait to get started on some of them.  We've bought grass fed beef, cage free eggs, try to do 3 green teas a day, etc., etc., etc. 

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options

The mason jars are good for bringing lunch to work and storing things in the fridge. 

ruthbru - If you like raspberries (which I just ate a container of!) they have a whole flat of organic ones at Costco right now.  The blueberries there are great too.  Oh I had some delicious watermelon today - so sweet!

• LtotheK
    LtotheK Member Posts: 487
    edited July 2011
    Options

Forgot to say that I take Curamin (curcurmin based!) for joint pain from Tamox when it's rough, and the stuff really works for me.  It has Boswellia in it as well.

Interesting about India, and goes to show you a lot of reporting is about spin.  Also interesting re: dairy.  The Indian diet is definitely into dairy, and a lot of naturopaths say here cow dair is a no-no.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,031
    edited July 2011
    Options

I have my own raspberry patch on the side of the house. It is flowering right now. My raspberries come from clippings taken from my great-great grandfather's house!!! Transplanted by my parents and then down to me. They are the 'family berries', which seldom even make it into the house, because I eat them as I pick them! Cool

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,017
    edited August 2012
    Options

I find spice in bulk at a local International Store, tho doubt if they're organic. I use them in cooking. Ruthbru - we have a bluberry farm around the corner, and the advice I was given was NOT to wash them before freezing them.  Does make freezing easier.  I let them dry naturally on a large wicker tray - honestly eat o many there's not much to freeze.  But as the season for picking ends, I do freeze some.

• Texas357
    Texas357 Member Posts: 332
    edited July 2011
    Options

For those of us with "meat and potato" husbands: I try to choose hearty veggie/pasta dishes, and veggie sandwiches. My husband is willing to do a few nights a week without animal protein when I serve him a stick-to-the-ribs sort of meal.

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ruthbru - That is so cool!  When I lived in the northwest we picked wild blackberries and they were yummy. 
  • claire_in_seattle
    edited July 2011
    Options

Blackberries are in full flower here, and it will be quite the crop with a wet spring.

In a month, it will be an "all you can eat" feast.  This goes on for about 2 months.

Right now, fresh local strawberries.  They don't need anything on them.

Still need to fix the rhubarb I have in the fridge. - Claire

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited July 2011
    Options

I was at the natural store today, and they suggested I use something called red root. Has anyone heaard of it, and what do I do with the liquid?

• ShannonR
    ShannonR Member Posts: 89
    edited July 2011
    Options

Anyone take DIM with Tamoxifen ?  I am hearing good things about DIM but not sure if it is redundant w/ the tammy.  Love all this chatter about fresh fruits and veggies.  I am trying to eat less animal protein but I hear you about the DH...I have 3 teenage sons and they are so not into the vegan/vegarian experimenting I am doing.