Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Survivors who had chemo etc and are into Complementary medicine

Options

Comments

• Suze35
    Suze35 Member Posts: 559
    edited July 2011
    Options

Wow this thread moves!

I roast a LOT of my veggies also.  I'm on a fingerling potato kick - I limit myself to 4 or so.  But I slice them thin, toss with a teaspoon of olive oil, sprinkle a little kosher salt, and roast at 400 for 20 minutes a side.  My oldest LOVES these, he claims they are better than french fries :-).

I found a great all natural balsamic vinegar dressing - 0 fat.  Old Cape Cod - low sodium as well.

I also eat 4 ounces of blueberries a day - I get frozen wild bluberries from Trader Joes, much easier and cheaper, then toss them in my oatmeal every morning. 

I'll be canning tomatos again this year, lots of work, but so worth the effort! 

The earlier discussion about pesticides has me very happy that we live in a community where we are not allowed to use them.  We purposely bought in a "green" community 3 years ago, and it may not have done me much good, but at least my kids won't be nearly as exposed to that crap as I was!!

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited July 2011
    Options

Suzie35, I didn't know there were areas that were green areas. I think that's such a need idea. Your kids will surely benefit from that life style.

• Suze35
    edited July 2011
    Options
    kira - they are hard to find!  But when we were going to buy a house, we specifically looked for one.  This is our builder's second community, and he's starting a third next year.  All the houses have solar panels that provide between 75-100% of our energy needs, we aren't allowed to use any chemicals on the lawn, no pools, and gardening is strongly encouraged.  It is wonderful to be honest!  One of my friends here has chickens, so I get my eggs from her and we swap veggies all summer. 
  • mammalou
    mammalou Member Posts: 293
    edited July 2011
    Options

I eat a lot of berries and pomegranates.  Today we are going berry picking!  I lay them unwashed on cookie sheets and freeze them.  Then I load them up in zip locks.  Since they are individually frozen you can take out what you want to eat whenever you want.  You take them out frozen and rinse them.  They are fresh and yummy.  We freeze enough to eat all year long and it is cheap.

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    edited July 2011
    Options

That is exactly what I do with berries.  I am on my way now to put the latest batch in the baggies and then my dh and I are heading up to the nearby farm to get some more.  Bye.

• Sherbear
    Sherbear Member Posts: 68
    edited July 2011
    Options

http://news.sympatico.ca/oped/coffee-talk/waste-free_grocery_shopping_the_future_of_food_purchasing/09d18c1c#.Tg9SV81DHsI

Great concept, hope it works out and catches on!  Any of you ladies live in Austin? 

• crazy4carrots
    crazy4carrots Member Posts: 624
    edited July 2011
    Options

Looks like we all have the same ideas about fresh berries!  We have a small strawberry patch but I purchase several quarts from a nearby farm and freeze them as mammalou does.  I'll be doing the same the end of July with fresh blueberries from another farm (even though wild blueberries are the BEST!).  We also have a raspberry patch, but I prefer to eat them fresh, in season.  Not so fond of them frozen!

• Bren-2007
    Bren-2007 Member Posts: 842
    edited July 2011
    Options

I love blueberries .. but this year, my bushes didn't produce hardly any.  They are great frozen.  I did try to freeze some strawberries, but didn't like the way they turned out when I took them out of the freezer.  Sure wish I had some rasberries.  I do have a million blackberry shrubs, but they are full of stickers, so I don't like to pick them too often.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited July 2011
    Options

Meat and potatoes type foods would be stews. You can get lots of veggies in stews. I will make beef stew but load it up with carrots and peas. I make chicken chili but even if you use beef but more beans and peppers in it. Really healthy. Both are very filling and real stick to the ribs kinds of food.

Kabobs are also good but you need to put more veggies on the skewer. Onions, tomatoes, peppers of course but why not zucchini etc.? Be creative.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ShannonR - I am just asking my onc if I can participate in a clinical trial that is comparing the effects on breast density for tam+DIM vs. tam alone.  It is called DIME.
  • crazy4carrots
    edited July 2011
    Options

and mushrooms!  (In answer to lago!)

• lago
    edited July 2011
    Options
    OMG how did I forget mushrooms. I love mushrooms more than I love cabbage. Thanks for reminding me lindasa. (I has some black mushrooms last night in my Vietnamese seafood vegetable noodle dish. I cheat on the weekends).
  • Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited July 2011
    Options

When I roast veggies I first put them in a big bowl with olive oil then I go to the herb garden and cut fresh stuff, snip it into the bowl, stir and then transfer to a baking dish.  I also usually add a little fennel seed. Makes for a bit of sweetness at the end. I do mine at 450 for an hour covered, then remove the cover for another 15 min. One of my favs.

Beets, parsnips, potatoes, onions, carrots

• apple
    apple Member Posts: 1,466
    edited July 2011
    Options

my husband just brought home 8 VERY LARGE zuccinis.

That's why people in the Ozarks have 8 zuccini dish meals.  I had one that was sliced zuccini, soda crackers in milk, baked in the oven.. yuck yick yock.

then there is zuccini bread.. that's pretty good.  I might stuff one tonight, and grill a couple with lots of garlic.  That will take care of 3.. They are like 14 inches long.  (my faves are the little ones)

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited July 2011
    Options

apple... Have you tried sauteeing chopped zucchini with chopped sweet onion and mushrooms?  I use a combination of crimini and baby bellas (both sliced), but any kind will do.  Sautee all over medium-low heat until cooked.  Optional additions: a bit of tomato (I use halved grape tomatoes) and either mozzarella or jack cheese on top.  Yum!   Deanna

• crazy4carrots
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hahaha Apple -- that's why I only allow my DH to plant ONE zucchini plant these days! Here's another very tasty zucchini recipe:  Zucchini Puffs

3 oz grated mozzarella or fontina cheese

2 medium unpeeled zucchini (2 cups grated)

1/2 small onion grated plus 2 minced garlic cloves

2 eggs

S and P to taste

1/2 cup bread crumbs

Mix it all together and divide evenly in 10 greased muffin cups and bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

OR, just spread the mixture into an 8 x 8 greased cake pan and bake for about the same amount of time, and then cut into squares. 

• pejkug3
    pejkug3 Member Posts: 277
    edited July 2011
    Options

We're having "Zucchini Boats" tonight...

Cut zucchini lengthwise and remove the center, forming a "boat".  I chop up the removed centers and add to homemade spaghetti sauce that is used to fill the "boat".  Top with parmesan or mozz cheese and bake until hot and the zuke is no longer tough.

My spaghetti sauce has no recipe - but it has ground beef, tomatoes, red and green peppers, mushrooms, onion.  I chop everything extra fine or thow the veggies in the food processor to my picky eaters can't immediately scowl at it.  ;)

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited July 2011
    Options

Oh my goodness I love zucchini boats. I also stuff with onion, pepper, mushrooms, plus cheese. It's making me hungry just thinking about them.

• mammalou
    mammalou Member Posts: 293
    edited July 2011
    Options

scrambled eggs, zuchinni and onions.... yum

• pip57
    edited July 2011
    Options

I'm back.  Another flat of berries is ready for the freezer pans.  My dh cut some of his rhubarb and will cook it with some of the berries.  MMMMM.   

Does anyone else eat the sliced berries while they are still frozen?  It is a great snack! 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,035
    edited July 2011
    Options

I love to eat frozen berries too!

For a delicious smoothie, into the blender I dump a carton of any flavor low fat yogart, some fresh fruit, some frozen fruit (any kind of berry or a frozen banana is tasty.....plus it's a good way ues bananas after they are a little too mushy), add a splash of low calorie juice and blend. Yum!

With stews; since it's just me and DH at home, I often buy a pre-mixed container of fresh stew vegetables at the grocery store. It is a little expensive, but we would never be able to eat up that many different kinds of veggies before they'd go bad, so it works nicely to get the variety. I double the veggies and half the meat.

• Suze35
    edited July 2011
    Options

apple - I make zucchini lasagna!  I go easy on the cheese, lots of chunky tomatos and mushrooms. 

• suzieq60
    suzieq60 Member Posts: 1,422
    edited July 2011
    Options

LtotheK - how many of those curamin tabs do you take a day? I'm on anti inflamms and do the fish oil thing, but my knees still hurt - mostly because of no cartilage. It would be good to give up the prescription drug and use something like Curamin.

Sue

• lago
    edited July 2011
    Options

Slice zucchini & summer squash  with chopped tomatoes and mushrooms. Pour over fish (haddock, cod or other white fish), sprinkle parsley & basil then wrap in tin foil. Bake or cook on grill. YUM!

Simple, fast, healthy and tasty.

• suzieq60
    suzieq60 Member Posts: 1,422
    edited July 2011
    Options

Looks like we can't get Curamin here. I could get it from IHerb I guess.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    edited July 2011
    Options
    How long to cook the fish lago?
  • claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2011
    Options

Ruth....shame on you with stew veggies.  Use the rest in roast veggies.

Apple....used to make stuffed zucchini with Italian sweet sausage as the meat.

This reminds me how much I like Turkish Stuffed Peppers, which on top of the rice, have pine nuts and raisins along with the lamb.  They are seasoned with cinnamin, hence the "Turkish" flavor.  There is probably a vegetarian version with mushrooms, but I like lamb.

I was checking out the U-Pick blueberry fields when I did my ride today.  Will be a few weeks more.  I did stop for eggs on my back into town.  I got them in my panier, but they stuck out a bit.  That must have been an interesting sight.

Last stop was to pick up a sleeping bag and air mattress.  Also a trip to REI for GU gel and Accelerade.  When I do endurance events, I eat very differently.  The important thing is to make sure you have the energy stuff you need and electrolytes/ hydration potions.   For the second, I find Accelerade works the best.  GU gel has been known to make hills half as high.

I need a shower, because the one topic not covered in this thread is smelling good.  Don't think I pass the sniff test at this point.  Off to fix that one. - Claire

• pip57
    edited July 2011
    Options

Susie, look for it under the name Turmeric as well.  I take two capsules a day.  We also use a combination of turmeric, black pepper and garlic powder sprinkled on our veggies and soups.  

• lago
    edited July 2011
    Options

Cooking time really depends on how thick the fish is and how many veggies. If baking use a 400°F oven. Typically I can tell when it starts to smell done. I open it up and if the fish isn't translucent then it's done. Remember fish cooks much faster than meat or chicken. I think the rule is something like 10 minutes for every inch of thickness. Check it at 15-20 minutes.

• Suze35
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Lago - I love fresh fish!  Being summer, my DH loves to grill - so I cook a lot of fish that way.  I wrap it up in tin foil with some spices and lemon juice, and seal it up tight.  10 minutes and it is wonderful!  This way I avoid the temptation of hot dogs and hamburgers Tongue out.