Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• LynMichel
    LynMichel Member Posts: 87
    edited August 2012

SpecialK and DDL the blood started backing up into the syringe.  Like you said DDL I think my PS is waiting to see what  happens 7/14 when I go in for another fill.  Hopefully there won't be anymore blood.  I'm going to try and behave myself until then.  I tend to think I can do everything I did before BC got me last July 1st.

Momof3 that's a great shirt you got made.  Have fun in Vegas. 

Greenmonkey I just subscribed to your blog.  What a story!  We all deserve symmetrical breasts after reconstructive surgery!

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited August 2012

LynMichel, you gave yourself great advice--try not to do too much. Hard, I know! 

• LynMichel
    LynMichel Member Posts: 87
    edited August 2012

DLL it is hard not to do too much.  Working hard makes me feel good and I worry less about the fact that I had BC.

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235
    edited August 2012
    Binc - From one "packer" to another - YAY!!!  I'm so glad to hear that it is working for you and it sounds like it's happening pretty quickly.  I think we're all a lot stronger than we give ourselves credit for.  A daily routine with my husband while I was waiting for surgery and while I was healing:  I would say, "I don't want to do this" and my husband would respond, "But you have to".  Always made me smile...
  • moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited August 2012

Bunch, glad you are healing. Green Monkey, I hope things get better!

And, yay , I have a TE date! Yay! August 13th. I go in to have it replaced. I want it done so I can get squishes sooner! Much love to all.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited August 2012

binc - glad things are working!  Optimal protein intake for healing is 100g a day - glad you mentioned it!

rosetx - thanks for the DD b-day wishes!  Can't believe she is 23 today - she is my youngest!

GM - strap those things down to keep them from getting away!

• Tatina123
    Tatina123 Member Posts: 312
    edited August 2012

Happy B-Day to your daughter, SpecialK!

Well, I noticed a tiny scab that has not fallen off since my 5/29 exchange surgery.  Went to the PS today to have the nurse check it out.  Wasn't a scab -- it was a suture that didn't dissolve. So she cut it out (it basically broke apart as she removed it, put a dab of antibiotic on it and slapped a band-aid on it).

Of course, I am going to stress over this for the next 7 to 10 days to make sure an infection doesn't erupt.

T

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2012

Tatiana, I'd stress too,but try not to, it won't help, just keep it clean. I SO feel that! Much love

• Bogie
    Bogie Member Posts: 79
    edited August 2012

Binc that is exactly the protein drink I make except I add ice so it feels like I'm drinking a milkshake :)

Another sub for protein powder is carnation instant breakfast, it delicious. I also add vanilla Greek yogurt!

• Bogie
    Bogie Member Posts: 79
    edited August 2012

Tatianna I had the same thing. Keep it clean with dial soap and let it dry out at night, then antibiotic cream day time. I had an open gap wound (not related to stitch) for 3 months and never got infected. I think drying it out helped.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited August 2012

I showed my DD the b-day wishes - she said "awww" and I think she was touched that people she didn't know were wishing her a happy birthday!  So thanks everyone!

tatina - sorry about the undissolved stitch - keep it clean, I am sure it will heal just fine!

moon - yay on the new TE date!  It is such a relief to get it back in and on the road to being done!

• rosetx
    rosetx Member Posts: 70
    edited August 2012

Green Monkey - Thank you and rant away!  You're entitled.  We all have our moments ( or days, or weeks). 

Binc - Thank you.  And YEAAAAA!  What a woman.  So happy for you and the healing.

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited August 2012
    Chick: Good luck in ND! I guess you had to let that great teaching job go?

Tatina: Good news on your friend. I too would worry about that stitch, though you will heal up just fine. Just no swimming for you!

Rosetx: So sorry about your Mom. Sending her a dose of virtual healing. And Happy Belated Birthday to you! (And Specialk's DD too!) I've been away from the boards — busy celebrating my bday too!

Binc: Thrilled that the "packers" are winning! Re: Protein shakes... be careful about consuming soy protein if you are ER/PR+. Edamame is OK, as is occasional tofu. A high-protein diet definitely aids in healing. Specialk is correct; 100 grams a day. I have this list on my blog but am cutting/pasting here:

4 oz. chicken breast: 25 grams protein
    8 oz. plain nonfat Greek yogurt: 23 grams protein
    3 oz. solid white albacore tuna (packed in water): 20 grams protein
    4 oz. lowfat cottage cheese: 15 grams protein
    2 oz. raw almonds: 12 grams protein
    4 oz. edamame: 11 grams protein
    8 oz. fat-free milk: 8 grams protein
    2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter: 8 grams protein
    1 stick light string cheese: 8 grams protein
    4 oz. cooked black beans: 7 grams protein
    1 large hardboiled egg: 6 grams protein
    8 oz. cooked spinach: 5 grams protein

TinaT: Love that your DH told you "But you have to!" whenever you complained about not wanting to do something with regard to BC and recon! A good man.

Moonflwr912: I added you to the surgery list. Did not remember which TE you are having replaced though!

Momof3infla: Hope your iron continues to rise. Have fun in Vegas!

GreenMonkey: What is happening with your foob? Rant away. We are here...

DLL66: You know you've made the surgical big time when you no longer need to show your insurance card during your pre-op! Sorry about the car crash. Hope you are OK!

Specialk: You had me laughing at your father hitting 3 cars in a parking lot without a scratch. Those LTDs really were tanks!

Katarina: Hopefully you found some other ladies with TE trouble who opted for DEIP. Let us know what your doc says on Friday.

Layla: Hope you find a new Onco that you love.

Bonseye: When it rains it pours. My mom is having severe arthritis flareup and I take her to PT twice a week. She's in a lot of pain and it's hard to deal with all that while also dealing with my own upcoming surgery.

Speaking of... My surgery may not happen Sept. 5th. ERGH! I have a new insurance plan that started August 1... we thought we had selected a PPO but in fact it is an HMO (DH made the selection and I did not double-check.). Anyway, the hospital we already scheduled my surgery at is NOT on the new HMO's list ... so my PS's office has to reschedule and book a new OR/date/time. Par for the course with the way my whole recon thing has played out. Will keep y'all posted.

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited August 2012

BOOOO Renn!

And yes, I did have to quit the teaching job I never got to start....but it will be worth it. 

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    edited August 2012

Is this normal, I still have a scab along the incision since my my surgery to replace my expander. Wow I can't believe it's taking this long to fall off....anyone else had these scabs that's take forever

• Sparkysbrat
    Sparkysbrat Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2012

Hi all. Im new to this thread. I am sitting in my hospital room as I type this. I went to my BS this morning for extreme pain on my left side, extreme tightness over the TE, and pain/numbness going down my arm. BS called my PS, who told me I had a seroma under my skin, and could take care of it in office. So headed to his office, he started procedure, Nithing came out, so he said its under the implant, need to go into surgery today. So had to call my aunt to come pick up my kids, had emergency surgery for which turned out to be not a seroma, but a hematoma under the implant. PS then found active bleeding under implant. So he drained and cleaned everything, washed and increased saline in implant, and placed another drain. I am in agony right now, having muscle spasams and extreme pain. Getting morphine every hour. There was no trauma to cause hematoma. Anyone have this happen?

• DLL66
    edited August 2012

Sparkysbrat, sorry that happened to you. Hopefully someone with some insight will be along shortly.

redninrah, I had a scabby spot on my rads side that would not heal. Ultimately, it opened up on me twice; the first time I had the implant switched out & the second time I had to leave the implant out for 2+ months.

I'm fine, Renn :) Good luck getting your surgery rebooked! 

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited August 2012

Hi all. So the packers are done. Now we get to spend the weekend in box world as ds calls it. Poor kid.

Fluff...how long did your ps make you wear nipple shields. My ps let me take mine off today (almost 3 weeks). Ps said this week he saw some lady who got a fungal infection under the nipple shield because of the heat. As if she probably didn't have enough to deal with already!

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    edited August 2012

DL66- ok one scabby incision already opened up once and ive had the TE replaced in may. This time around they put Allerderm on it. But one area of the scab is still there, its on the surface, but just wished it would fall off - i dont want to go throu another op.

• DLL66
    edited August 2012

Hopefully it is just healing slowly, redninrah. Has your PS seen it lately?

Good luck with the move, chickadee! 

• Rennasus
    edited August 2012

Sparkysbrat: So sorry to hear you had a hematoma under the TE! Where was the active bleeding coming from? Sounds like something wasn't fully closed inside. What did your PS say about why? How long will they keep you in the hospital? Glad your Aunt was able to help with your kids. hang in there, keep us posted on your progress.

Chick: Good luck in "box world"! Kids are so clever!

Redinrah: Has the spot been there since May? Does it look like a regular scab? Is it black? Seeping? Green/yellow? Does it seem like it is getting smaller? have you taken any photos of it? If not, I would start today. Take a close-up photo (using your camera's macro setting) every day. That was the only way I was able to track the progress of my delayed healing. Please keep us posted.

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2012

Sparkysbrat, so sorry, you have to go thru that. Heal fast. Red, hope that spot heals quickly.Renn, hope you get rescheduled and get it done. BTW, it is my left TE getting replaced. My right has been in since my Dec BMX.

Chicadee, good luck with the move. To all, much love.

• loriio
    loriio Member Posts: 55
    edited August 2012

Somewhere on a thread (maybe this one) I read about someone's TE turning. Is it possible for the TE to shift? I guess it makes sense that it would after the skin and muscle stretches. After an especially rough night of tossing and turning, I woke in an uncomfortable position on my side. Now I feel a sharp edge or corner from my right TE that I hadn't noticed before. It's right in the middle of my chest and there's a weird bump. I'm wondering if it's the port. I go for my 2nd fills on Monday so I'll make sure I point it out to my PS. I'm just curious what others' experiences has been.

• kona14
    kona14 Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2012

Hi everyone.  I am 3 weeks post BMX and have been feeling so good that I think I over did it.  My pecs are very sore and my expanders are tight again.  My left expander/breast is swollen.  It is noticeably bigger than my right expander/breast.  I have slowed down considerabley the last two days and have been taking Advil.  I also have tightly wrapped my chest area with ace bandage.  Is this normal?  Has anyone else swelled because of too much arm use?  Could it be from the axillary web syndrome (chord) I have in my armpit? Should I call my PS or wait to see if the swelling subsides?  I feel good with it wrapped--a lot less tension.  THANKS!

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2012

Kona, CALL YOUR DOC. Let them figure why its swollen. Might be related to the cording,but could also be infection. So CALL. There is always someone to cover, even on weekends. If you start running a fever and it goes over 100.5 get to an ER. Much love.

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2012

Kona, CALL YOUR DOC. Let them figure why its swollen. Might be related to the cording,but could also be infection. So CALL. There is always someone to cover, even on weekends. If you start running a fever and it goes over 100.5 get to an ER. Much love.

• Rennasus
    edited August 2012

loriio: Yes, women here have had their TE's turn. Sounds like that's what happened to you. Do you have any redness or swelling, or just pain? Good you are seeing PS on Monday.

Kona: I agree with Moonflwr. Call your doc. Is there any redness? That is often a danger sign. You also may have developed some lymphedema. Take it slow. You may have pulled something. A lot of internal work goes on with BMX and the insertion of expanders; we have to be careful about not doing too much and aggravating all that detailed work. I know it's frustrating and difficult to be still when there is so much to do around us, but slow and steady wins this race. (Right SpecialK?!)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2012

Kona14 In my case it appeared that I was doing just fine with pilates until I decided to push it a bit too far, and two weeks before my exchange I noticed that my breast become very sore.  I ended up with a fever and a bad infection and was hospitalized for five days.  Luckily, the antibiotics helped and my TEs were saved.  My suggestion is to take it slow.  I had my exchange July 13 and am feeling good now. 

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited August 2012

Chick, I wore something for three or 4 weeks. One shield fell off in the middle of the night. I taped it back on for a couple days and finally called the office and went in. He told me to not use the shield but to use circular make up sponges. They are pretty much the depth of the nipple. You cut a hole in the middle and then tape it on. It worked really well.

The other suggestion he mentioned was dr scholl's corn pad protectors. Concept is the same but the circle is already cut out. All the ones I found were adhesive on the back and peeling it off made me paranoid so I stuck with the makeup sponge.

• kona14
    kona14 Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2012

Thanks for the replies.  No temperature or redness.  I starting feeling much better last night and feel good this morning.  I think I just overdid it--I decided to drive a few times and did way too much keyboarding.  Driving uses all of your chest muscles so don't do it until your PS okays it! Both my pecs were really sore especially my left where the swelling occurred.  Swelling still there, but has gotten better.  I see my PS tomorrow, so hopefully all is well.  Note to others:  Don't overdo it even though you feel great!  It is not worth the pain and fear!