Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited August 2012

thanks Fluff!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!  All is well here in box world. 

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited August 2012

loriio - when your TE is fairly unfilled at the beginning, it will also shift as it is filled.  Think of it like putting a spot on a balloon with a marker, then as you add water (or air) the mark you made will move around.  As the TE is expanded it will most likely stop moving because it will be tighter under the pec muscle.

renn - yes, I am a firm believer in slow and steady wins the race!!!  Especially for turtles and ladies who have challenges with TEs!

• CMartin
    CMartin Member Posts: 237
    edited August 2012

Hi.  So how are the implants much different than the TEs?  Although I'm back to running with my TEs and have been relatively event free, I'm wondering if implants will always present challenges as well?

• loriio
    loriio Member Posts: 55
    edited August 2012

Thanks Rennasus and SpecialK for the feedback. My PS is going slowly so I think my muscles and skin have had time to stretch since my fills 2 weeks ago. It feels much better today. I just think its stretching a new little area. I was a little frustrated that this process is going so slowly but it sounds like it's for the best.

• 2FriedEggs
    2FriedEggs Member Posts: 324
    edited August 2012

Researching the implants since getting closer to exchange and I'm getting s0 concerned about what the final product is going to be like afraid if I go with the high profile they will stick out more but be too skinny and moderate they will look too pancakeish atleast according to these pics! http://www.justbreastimplants.com/breast_implants/implant_profiles.htm

• MiamiBC
    MiamiBC Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2012

2FriedEggs:  HPs should be about the same width for you as would moderate plus.  You do not pick volume and then profile.  It is the other way around.  You pick the width correct for your frame, and from there pick volume based on desired profile.  So you do not sacrifice width for projection, just get a greater volume in the higher profile.

• Dps128
    Dps128 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2012

Two months post op BMX with TE placement and noticed a little yellow on the right side of my shirt the other day. Peeked under bandage saw the incision had separated about an inch. Called PS who started me on 20 day regimen of Bactrin. He debrided area and said TE was not exposed. Been going every day to have it cleaned and bandage changed. He said he may stitch this week. Wondering if TE will have to come out.

• specialk
    edited August 2012

cmartin - what specifically is your concern?  Implants are usually much more comfortable than TEs are - but there is still a possibility of healing issues, or infection.

2friedeggs - you are looking at an augmentation site, not a recon site - keep that in mind.  You need to be looking at BC recon pictures to get a good idea of what to expect.  What outcome are you looking for in terms of size and look?  I have high profile and they are not at all skinny, but I have the exact same size implant as I did cc's in my TE so the pocket is very full.  I have excellent projection and lateral fullness.

loriio - glad things are better!

dps - unofrtunately, this is a "time will tell" thing, but it sounds like you and your PS are doing everything right.

• CMartin
    edited August 2012

Specially...are your wide into the side? I'm hoping for more narrow. My concern regarding the exchange is being free to move fully, exercise, etc. It seems the TEs cause us to exercise such care.

• specialk
    edited August 2012

cmartin - no they are not wide.  Speak to your PS about what the anticipated width between your implants (at the cleavage) will be based on size and profile, and also how widely they will sit across your chest (under the arm), also how far away from the chest the anticipated projection will be.  Remember, from the smallest implant to the largest - projection should only differ by 2cm.  Most ladies are quite surprised by how much smaller their implants are than their TE(s) were. The pocket can be manipulated to achieve certain aesthetics.  I don't feel restricted in any way by mine and I have pretty large implants for my frame.  My PS has placed no restrictions regarding weight-lifting or exercise.  My only restriction comes from not putting body weight on my arms, as in a downward dog yoga pose, but that stems from LE, not my implants.

• CMartin
    edited August 2012

Thanks. I have spoken with him about it at length but you just never know. I'm really hoping I didn't go too small

• specialk
    edited August 2012
    cmartin - you have not exchanged yet, right?  Have you stopped your fills?  Also, have you looked at the breast implant sizing 101 thread?  If you provide whippetmom with the info at the beginning of the thread and tell her what you are looking for she can give you guidance on implant size and profile and manufacturer to achieve your desired look.
  • 2FriedEggs
    2FriedEggs Member Posts: 324
    edited August 2012

oh specialk thank you! It seems like so many people are disappointed after their exchanges because the implants are smaller than they expected or they say they look like pancakes.   Needless to say though  I was just looking at the comparison of the 2 implants while looking at something else someone linked to on this sight and I didn't think about a difference for augmentation. I am going for the high profile too but that comparison made them look look so skinny it scared me! LOL SpecialK to the rescue again-thank you. 

• MiamiBC
    MiamiBC Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2012

Can anyone recommend a plastic surgeon in Miami to do a DIEP instead of tissue expanders that are already in?  Has anyone done DIEP after getting tissue expanders?

• specialk
    edited August 2012

2fried - ha ha!  Seriously, short of posting a picture of my chest on this thread, I had a skin/nip sparing procedure with IMF incisions and you would be hard pressed to tell that these are fake!  When I went to the vaccine trial physician's exam even the supervising oncologist who did the physical commented on what a nice result I had, so I was pleased that her independent opinion was positive.  I asked my PS a lot of questions before exchange, and also indicated (more than once!) that I did not want to be disappointed with the size, told him slightly too large is better than slightly too small.

miami - have you asked your BS for any DIEP surgeon recommendations?  The ladies on the DIEP threads may have some info for you on docs in Miami.

• LynMichel
    LynMichel Member Posts: 87
    edited August 2012

I've been learning a lot here. I didn't know before that there are high & low profile implants. My PS is going to give me some stuff to read next time I get filled. But I'm also going to visit BC101 here.

• LynMichel
    edited August 2012

I've been learning a lot here. I didn't know before that there are high & low profile implants. My PS is going to give me some stuff to read next time I get filled. But I'm also going to visit BC101 here.

• specialk
    edited August 2012

lyn - there is also moderate profile, as if it were not confusing enough!  The profiles are also not consistent between manufacturers either so the advice from the 101 thread may include a couple of options depending on what you are hoping for as a result.

• Tatina123
    Tatina123 Member Posts: 312
    edited August 2012

DLL66- will be thinking of you tomorrow. Let us know how things go!

T

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161
    edited August 2012

Best wishes tomorrow, DLL!  I will be thinking of you.  And be your own advocate in that place, PLEASE.

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited August 2012

Hi & thanks, Tatina & MondaysChild. I promise that I will, but I know that I have 2 great guys watching out for me: my husband & my PS. 

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited August 2012

DLL, GOOD LUCK.

• LynMichel
    edited August 2012

Thanks SpecialK. I know mine are going to be made by Mentor. I have to do some serious reading.

Thinking of you DLL.

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited August 2012

Good luck DLL

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited August 2012
    DLL: Hope all went well, post when you can, thinking of you! Kiss
  • DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited August 2012

Thank you, ladies! Everything went great. No drain, yay!

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2012

DLL yay!

• specialk
    edited August 2012

dll - yay!  Sorry I missed giving you good wishes but we had a pretty intense storm and lost phone, internet and TV!  We all just sat here looking at each other, like what do we do now!  Spent the morning crawling around in my closet, on my cell phone with Verizon, plugging and unplugging, disconnecting and connecting - finally it all came back on again!

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2012

Specialk, you telling us you just came out of the closet? LOL. (Couldn't help it, sorry, LOL)

• specialk
    edited August 2012

moon - Ha ha!  First I went in, crawled around for a while, then I came out, LOL!