Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• Tatina123
    Tatina123 Member Posts: 312
    edited August 2012

Yay to the no drains, DLL!

• LynMichel
    LynMichel Member Posts: 87
    edited August 2012

Great DLL to no drains.

SpecialK don't you just luv all those computer cords. It seems I'm always the one crawling around too with the computer cords. But it's like my daughter says all you really need is TV & an Internet connection .

• LynMichel
    edited August 2012

Great DLL to no drains.

SpecialK don't you just luv all those computer cords. It seems I'm always the one crawling around too with the computer cords. But it's like my daughter says all you really need is TV & an Internet connection .

• LynMichel
    edited August 2012

Great DLL to no drains.

• bevg49
    bevg49 Member Posts: 461
    edited August 2012

the title of this thread is TE troubles so I thought I'd just vent about how sad I am that I will be unable to even have them. I've come to this realization slowly but it's seems like there's no choice. I was diagnosed in May, decided on mastectomy with TE's... Had my surgery on 6/7. It was a breeze UNTIL 6/15 when I got uncomfortable and within 15 minutes my chest was huge and purple and green and I was in agonizing pain. Met ps at hospital where he had to do emergency surgery for a massive hematoma. He removed 1,000 cc's of blood plus 700 after surg, not to mention the soda bottles my daughter in law filled from my drains in the car before we got there. My blood pressure was down around 80/50.... Ok, still, just a blip, major but still.... 3 days later I started bleeding out again andn eeded a 2nd emergency surgery.... During the hospital stay, I needed 11 untis of blood, 1 unit of plasma and 2 untis of platelets. K, went home, getting better than after 3 weeks, the surgical scar just decided to open so there is a gaping wound healing super slowly. Anyway, during the 1st emergency surg, the doctor removed the TE.... He said we would talk about it after a few months but as days go by I realize it's not going to be a possibility. I'm a diabetic which means poor healing.... I take aspirin for coronary issues which lead to the hematoma and other bleeding. I have come to the conclusion that I'll have to go natural (and I only had one side done so it's especially depressing, being lopsided)..... Sorry for the long vent... I just am sad at the change of plans, am sad about the whole situation and am sad in general. I just started taking Femara which has a side effect of depression. Oh goodie..... just what I need lol.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited August 2012

bevg - I am so sorry for your experience and the sadness that accompanies it, wish there was something I could say to make this better for you.  I am hoping that just knowing that I am sending you strength helps a little.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited August 2012

Oh, Bev, that's horrible. It certainly is hard when things don't go as planned. You have been through a lot. I am scheduled for a replacement TE on Monday. I had my left one removed due to an infection in January. Had to wait til I was done with chemo. I am also on aspirin therapy, and a type 2 diabetic, so slow healing, high sugars and scary thoughts are a given . You may want to revisit this issue after a year or even later, but, you will deal with it. There are a couple threads on these boards that can help, one is flat look vs prosthetics with pictures. I wish I could post links, but I can't seem to do those. I hope you feel better soon. But vent all you want here, we are strong when you can't be, and I am sure you will ne strong another time when one of us has a meltdown . ((((Hugs))))

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited August 2012

bevg, I am so sorry about your complications. That sounds really scary. I hope that you are on the road to healing now.

Glad your power/internet is back, SpecialK! 

My post-op appt went well. PS is quite pleased with his work, as am I. Smile He wanted to pull the implant a little more towards the center of my chest, but stopped himself as that is the spot that took so long to heal. I'm thinkin' that was a good call.

• rosetx
    rosetx Member Posts: 70
    edited August 2012

Bevg - I am so sorry you have had to go through that difficulty with the TE's.  I know there are better days ahead for you - but I hope they come really soon!

To All - It was my mother who had the stroke last Monday morning.  She died very early Sunday morning.  I was grateful that I was there with her.  I just got back from her funeral in East Texas.  It was very sad going to her apt. this morning.  It was just so "her."  I miss her now and will continue to miss her, my dad and my only sister.

About my TE healing issues....I think they are actually doing much better.  I go back to the PS on Monday.

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited August 2012

rosetx, I am so sorry about your mom. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2012

Bevg, I am very sorry for what you've been through.  I experienced a setback from a bad infection and hospital stay but nothing like you have had to endure.  I know you feel sad and that's very normal.  There was a point when I was going to forget the exchange surgery.  Your health is more important, so please take care of yourself.

• Tatina123
    Tatina123 Member Posts: 312
    edited August 2012

Rosetx- so sorry about your mom....

Bevg - so sorry about your complications. Perhaps when you get all healed up your doctor may talk with you about other reconstruction options if that's right for you. But in the meantime, please take care.

• bevg49
    edited August 2012

Thank you to all you super thoughtful and caring gals....

Rose, I am so sorry about your mom. I lost my mom in 97 and still, I remember her like it was yesterday and miss her terribly but it does get better.

Moonflwr.... just a word of advice and PLEASE take heed..... Now more than ever, watch the blood sugars. For a long time I didn't take it seriously, ate what I wanted and the doc would just adjust my insulin. It is coming back to bite me in the butt now. I am super careful and finally have gotten the sugars under control. Also I was on more than aspirin. I was also on a drug called plavix, a blood thinner because I'd had a stent put in about 10 years ago. The protocol is stop 5 days before surgery then start again after. In my case, I had been on plavix way too long.  No one told me I could have stopped it 5 years ago so I didn't. The surgeon said I had 0 working platelets because of it which caused me to need all the transfusions. It is taught me to be my own advocate and research everything and not just listen to a doctor who keeps perscribing a pill for 10 years....

I hope eventually they'll be able to do something with my breast/chest but for now I am going to go get a prosthetis/mx bra and learn to live with that. I'm terrified of anything resembling surgery at the moment. 

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2012

Bev, thanks for the advice. I had pretty good control before chemo. Steroids days absolutly messed me up with readings of over 400. I was in constant contact with my docs, and made it through. But I have been having higher readings than I like, but my a1c is only 6.5, due to transfusions. So I will just keep a close eye on it. But it is nice to know people care, so thanks again.

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited August 2012

Rosetx: So very, very sorry to hear about your mum. Hang in there and be extra gentle with yourself. 

Bevg49: Geez Louise, you have had a tough go with recon! You are very strong. I agree with the other ladies, focus on healing right now, that is most important; you can revisit recon at a later date. (Or not.) Many of us have lost a TE and had to "make do" being lopsided and it ain't fun, but it does get easier. AndI certainly understand your aversion to more surgery! 

DLL: I am glad your surgery went A-OK and that you are happy! Yay!! 

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited August 2012

rosetx - so sorry about your mom, we are never ready to lose our mothers - so hard for this to happen now especially.  Sending you a hug from Florida.

• Bonseye
    Bonseye Member Posts: 124
    edited August 2012

Rosetx-sending my deepest sympathy. We are blessed with our Mom's and their life lessons....may her memories bring happiness to your heart forever. I will keep you in my prayers for the difficult days ahead.....

Bevg-I am so sorry for your troubles..I know how difficult it is. I had one thing after another.....you are strong and we are here sending our hugs. I was without a TE for 6 months and wound up having a TRAM surgery...using my own tissue prior to rads worked out great for me. My own tissue healed fast and held up-no issues with radiation.

• rosetx
    edited August 2012

SpecialK, Bonseye, Bevg, and PLL66 -  Thanks you so much for the messages of caring and sympathy.  I'll certainly remember this summer with the surgery, healing issues and now my mother's death.  I know it's going to get better!

• 2FriedEggs
    2FriedEggs Member Posts: 324
    edited August 2012

Oh Rosetx I am so sorry to hear of your mothers passing. You have really been through so much- Adding  more hugs to those of SpecialKs, from Florida .

• rosetx
    edited August 2012

2FriedEggs - Thanks so much.  I found if I just put one foot in front of the other and not look too far ahead, it was do-able.  My delayed healing was much easier than what many have gone through--it was just worrisome.  And my mother had expressed so many times that she didn't want to linger w/paralysis, so I have some sense of peace about that.

• Binc
    Binc Member Posts: 71
    edited August 2012

Rosetx- I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish you strength and peace as you deal with everything.

Bevg- I wish you weren't having such a difficult time. I had my right TE removed last month, so I'm sporting the lopsided look too. I can also relate to your sadness. I hit rock bottom in my bc journey dealing with the loss of the TE. I don't know why it hit me so hard, but it did. Every day does get bit better though. I wish the same for you and hopefully you can consider other reconstructive options when you're ready and if you want to. I hope you heal smoothly.

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    edited August 2012

Binc,you're hilarious, but you make a great shake!  I tried the celebrity route to get in my fruits and veggies, I throw in what fruit I have chopped and a handful of spinach, you never taste the spinach. Shot of rum? how about flavored vodka..I know the latest news is down on alchohol especially if you are prone to cancer but would a shot glass hurt anything? Seems wine and strawberries might work? Anyone tried it that way?

• Binc
    edited August 2012

I've never added spinach. I have a mental block when it comes to liquefying my greens- lol. I don't mind eating them though. . .Never considered adding flavored vodka- but that might be a nice occasional addition ;-) I don't drink nearly as much as I used to pre-cancer. But every now and then, I still enjoy a good cocktail or glass of wine! Life's too short to totally cut out the things we enjoy! . . . And yes, I do add whey protein to the shake, not soy. I try to avoid all the soy protein isolates and other soy forms that are in so many foods.

• rosetx
    edited August 2012

Binc - Thank you so much.  Your courage through your healing issues has been inspirational.

• bevg49
    edited August 2012

k, don't know if i should call myself wendy whiner or debby downer but it seems like one thing after another. As i've mentioned, I had the emergency surgeries due to hematoma, then my surgical scar opened up about 3-4 weeks ago. My PS had me showering and washing it daily, putting bacitracin inside then dressing. Well, I just went today and for the first time he PACKED it with gauze and told me I'd have to do it - it is healing too slow. Thankfully, no infection but that's what he's trying to avoid. As of tomorrow, I'm going to be the one doing the packing then dressing and taping. I am also taking Femara which is causing me mood swings which include major rage issues (I am usually the most passive, friendly person you'd ever want to meet). Now I want to rip my hair out (or someone elses)..... I am also crying non stop and having to pack and open surgical scar with gauze is certainly reason for crying. I know there are a couple others on here with healing problems and even packing..... Please chime in if possible. He told me it would be at least a month most likely. My original surgery was June 7.... This sucks majorly.

• Binc
    edited August 2012

Bevg- I'm a packer, too! You are not alone! It sucks, but it works. I had my TE removed due to infection and my PS left the entire surgical incision open so it could heal naturally on its own. At first I couldn't do it- my husband did because it was too wide open and too gross. But after about a week I stepped up to the plate and did it myself ( out of necessity- hubby had to go away on business.) I've been doing it ever since and my wound is almost closed. It really does work. My incision/hole is smaller than a dime now. Significant progress since my surgery was a little over 3 weeks ago and it initially looked like I'd been shot in the chest with a hunting rifle. I've also been "irrigating" it in the shower daily- basically hosing it off. Lovely. . .

I know exactly how you feel. I was really depressed about it too, but YOU CAN DO. IT!!!! It will get easier, I promise! I've also been trying to consume a lot of protein (shooting for 100g a day) along with vitamin C and zinc which all promote healing. Feel free to PM me if you want to "chat" or just vent more. We're definitely not the only wound packers out there, but we are few and far between. Hang in there!

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    edited August 2012

Bevvg,how long have you been taking Femara,if you dont mind my asking? I am starting it tommorrow. Last study done after the 2008 Journal of Oncology report they are trying to say its better than Tamox or a combo or sequence which before the docs all said the studies showed taking Arimi or Tamox and then switching was better to stop BC recurring.

I can not afford a rage or depression, i work at a stressful job with nut case clients and those people are psychotic,one told me she hoped I died so as you can see that client was like a 2 yr old even tho she was a grown up,she needed to stay in time out for a long time. It was several months ago and I am still trying to get over it.

• bevg49
    edited August 2012

binc, I'm definitely gonna pm you later today. I'm heading out now to dinner with son and sister though. I need a break. You did make me giggle though. The first line "I'm a packer too!"..... struck me funny, like we belong to a packer club or maybe a packer religion HAHAHA.... Will speak to you later tonight.

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited August 2012

Rose so sorry about your mom.

Bev and the other "packers" I am so impressed with your courage..

We arrived safely at our new house. Took twice as long as I thought it would but we were towing and had a dog and cat to worry about. Neighbor is so nice and has a ps bs and mo already picked out for me. She is on the board at one of the hospitals. The daughter will be in my daughters class and they got along well. 2nd truck comes tomorrow so night night....

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2012

Chick, glad the family made it safely. Sounds like you are getting settled in pretty fast! ((((Layla))). Much love